SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Issues on the Blue Line

siouxnami

I know what you are thinking. "What, are you crazy, we are still loaded." The loss of Lee hurts in 2 ways, one is obvious the other is not so obvious. In losing Lee we lose maybe our best passing defensman and someone that racked up a ton of points. But we also lose one of only 2 right handed shots on the blue line.

For 2007 we will have 7 defenders (8 if you count Radke) and all but 1 (Bina) shoots left. This may become an issue on the PP and PK. Pairing a L and R shooter is nice on the PP as well as for clearing the puck on the PK. I would expect to see the top defensive pairing to be Chorney and Bina, but after that there will be two all L handed pairings. I would guess Finley/Genoway and Jones/LaPoint will be the other 2 pairings, with Marto seeing enough action to prevent a redshirt. I would not be surprised to see Kaip who is both defensive and a good passer to play defense on the PP if the second pairing does not materialize.

I like Finley with Genoway, because from time to time Genoway tends to forget he is a defensman. The interesting thing is that the Sioux will have 4 offensive defensmen and 2 more physical players. This means our centers will be huge.

As a whole this team is very Left handed, though I am not certain about all the incoming forwards.

I know what you are thinking. "What, are you crazy, we are still loaded." The loss of Lee hurts in 2 ways, one is obvious the other is not so obvious. In losing Lee we lose maybe our best passing defensman and someone that racked up a ton of points. But we also lose one of only 2 right handed shots on the blue line.

For 2007 we will have 7 defenders (8 if you count Radke) and all but 1 (Bina) shoots left. This may become an issue on the PP and PK. Pairing a L and R shooter is nice on the PP as well as for clearing the puck on the PK. I would expect to see the top defensive pairing to be Chorney and Bina, but after that there will be two all L handed pairings. I would guess Finley/Genoway and Jones/LaPoint will be the other 2 pairings, with Marto seeing enough action to prevent a redshirt. I would not be surprised to see Kaip who is both defensive and a good passer to play defense on the PP if the second pairing does not materialize.

I like Finley with Genoway, because from time to time Genoway tends to forget he is a defensman. The interesting thing is that the Sioux will have 4 offensive defensmen and 2 more physical players. This means our centers will be huge.

As a whole this team is very Left handed, though I am not certain about all the incoming forwards.

Ditto.

I don't see Kaip on the point on the powerplay. I would think between Chorney, Genoway, Lappoint and Bina, the Sioux should be o.k. Kaip would be more valuable down low. Now if there are injuries ...

I don't see Kaip on the point on the powerplay. I would think between Chorney, Genoway, Lappoint and Bina, the Sioux should be o.k. Kaip would be more valuable down low. Now if there are injuries ...

These are the four that will be playing the blue line on the power play. Genoway is talented enough to play his off hand (not that the others aren't, but Chay is the best fit for his off hand). Don't be surprised if you see a forward at the point either, depending how LaPoint handles himself.

Other than the lefty-lefty combination, Chorney paired with Genoway will not be much of a drop off from Lee/Chorney both from an offensive and defensive perspective. Genoway, in my opinion, was one of the top 2 D-man from the WCHA playoffs thur the Frozen Four.

I don't know enough about defensive pairing to figure out who should go with who.... but just throwing a thought out there.... wouldn't you want to change as few of the pairs from last season as possible? They've already got chemistry and knows the other's style of play. It seems that Lapoint and Lee could be similar players. Tall, less physical, more offensive defenders, so perhaps putting him with Chorney wouldn't be that big of a stretch....

I don't know enough about defensive pairing to figure out who should go with who.... but just throwing a thought out there.... wouldn't you want to change as few of the pairs from last season as possible? They've already got chemistry and knows the other's style of play. It seems that Lapoint and Lee could be similar players. Tall, less physical, more offensive defenders, so perhaps putting him with Chorney wouldn't be that big of a stretch....

ditto

I am very excited to see the defensive pairings Hakstol does this year. Chorney and Bina could be a pairing, or Chorney could go with a similar player of Lee's style such as LaPoint maybe. Genoway and Finley could go together with a good mixture there, and Jones will be solid with anyone too. I can't wait for the season to start!

we lost 1 blueliner!! could have been 3.............1...........a good one at that but we are deep and talented on the blueline. only 1 freshman at D, and a good one in lapoint so we will see what happens there. remember i believe we started 4 d men a couple years back and did just fine and now most of these guys are seasoned in how to play this game. im not worried. we lost 1 good player, we move on. we have the best d amn in the nation in chorney or a tied for the best if GOLI returns to minny.......

I'm thinking Bina and Finley will remain a pairing. After that who knows...

Chorney Genoway

Bina Finley

LaPoint Jones

Radke Marto?

i like those, move radke to a 4th line forward i believe

If there is a blessing in this it's that it forces playing time onto the freshmen defensemen.

A year from now it could be Genoway, Jones, LaPoint, and Marto as the only returners.

and then 2 or 3 freshman get in right away just like 05 when lee, jones, chorney and finley being thrown into the fire. they are doing just fine. blood will be here with a couple more.....

In my opinion the smart thing to do would be to keep the pairings the same as last season as someone mentioned and add LaPoint with Chorney. I think the defensemen got very comfortable with each other. Like previously mentioned, LaPoint has a ton of similar characteristics as Lee did. (Other than being LH and not having first round pressure) As for the powerplay...I expect LaPoint to be an immediate contributer. He ran the point for 4 years in high school on the PP as well as a rookie in the USHL. 34 of his 49 points last season came on the Power Play. He is a lock to at least be on one of the top 2 power plays. I see him in a similar situation McBain was in last season for Wisconsin.

By the way, the difference in hand thing is over-rated.

In my opinion the smart thing to do would be to keep the pairings the same as last season as someone mentioned and add LaPoint with Chorney. I think the defensemen got very comfortable with each other. Like previously mentioned, LaPoint has a ton of similar characteristics as Lee did. (Other than being LH and not having first round pressure) As for the powerplay...I expect LaPoint to be an immediate contributer. He ran the point for 4 years in high school on the PP as well as a rookie in the USHL. 34 of his 49 points last season came on the Power Play. He is a lock to at least be on one of the top 2 power plays. I see him in a similar situation McBain was in last season for Wisconsin.

By the way, the difference in hand thing is over-rated.

I like what your wrote, you bring up a pretty good point. For what ever reason Lee didn't really grow on a lot of the fans, seems like fans either loved him or didn't. It may very well be him not living up to the hype/pressure of being a number one draft choice. Maybe some of the fans put unrealistic expectations on him. I think some of the criticism was warranted and some of it was little over the top. I don't think it had any bearing in him staying or leaving UND.

It ridiculous for some to think that almost immediately after Lapoint gets to college the fans are going to throw him under the bus.

I like what your wrote, you bring up a pretty good point. For what ever reason Lee didn't really grow on a lot of the fans, seems like fans either loved him or didn't. It may very well be him not living up to the hype/pressure of being a number one draft choice. Maybe some of the fans put unrealistic expectations on him. I think some of the criticism was warranted and some of it was little over the top. I don't think it had any bearing in him staying or leaving UND.

It ridiculous for some to think that almost immediately after Lapoint gets to college the fans are going to throw him under the bus.

This has been a topic in other forums but his decision had nothing to do with fans critizing him. Remember that he was given the rookie max and a three year two way contract, which is the same as what Crosby and Ovechukin got. That is a pretty hard offer to turn down.

I agree, it is ridiculous. But give it time.... we have to wait until he's at least played one or two games.

im gonna have to go with

Chorney Lapoint

Finley Bina

Jones Genoway

Marto

i think that radke should play forward

I don't know what will happen, but Chorney should be one of the top defensemen if not the top next year. Is it likely they'll pair him with a rookie, unless that rookie is very very good?

I don't know what will happen, but Chorney should be one of the top defensemen if not the top next year. Is it likely they'll pair him with a rookie, unless that rookie is very very good?

I'd think that'd be the best possible option. Veteran leader on the blue line takes rookie under wing. Is on the ice to cover for him if he does make the mistake.

Since LaPoint is allegedly as physical a defenseman as Lee, then certainly a certain group of "fans" will want Chorney on the same line as LaPoint. And, yeah, I think LaPoint qualifies as very very good.

and then 2 or 3 freshman get in right away just like 05 when lee, jones, chorney and finley being thrown into the fire.

Yes, and that 2005 group had the benefits of Parise/Lamoureux behind them.

Lee leaving now serves to level out that recruits bubble.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a "late add" four-year type defenseman show up in camp this fall.

Yes, and that 2005 group had the benefits of Parise/Lamoureux behind them.

Lee leaving now serves to level out that recruits bubble.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a "late add" four-year type defenseman show up in camp this fall.

ok, whats his name :) or are you referring to marto as there would not be a spot for him unless they really want genoway at forward??

ok, whats his name :) or are you referring to marto as there would not be a spot for him unless they really want genoway at forward??

Lee's departure only affects Genoway playing defense. Lapoint still would've been in the lineup every night and Marto will probably still be out of the lineup every night. I would have a hard time believing they would bring in another d-men because that would just put another player on the bench every night. What could happen is another d-men may be brought in for 2008, but not 2007.

Lee's departure only affects Genoway playing defense. Lapoint still would've been in the lineup every night and Marto will probably still be out of the lineup every night. I would have a hard time believing they would bring in another d-men because that would just put another player on the bench every night. What could happen is another d-men may be brought in for 2008, but not 2007.

Stop -- Genoway will play D. Period.

And they don't need any more for 07.