SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Issues on the Blue Line

siouxnami

Pure speculation by me, but 7 defense and 14 forwards (Radke at forward, Hextall not until 2008) seems like a small roster. There isn't much room for an injury or two, plus good stiff competition for playing time, along the way. Given the potential departures at defense after this season, if another person is a late add (a project if you will) a defenseman seems like the right place.

Pure speculation by me, but 7 defense and 14 forwards (Radke at forward, Hextall not until 2008) seems like a small roster. There isn't much room for an injury or two, plus good stiff competition for playing time, along the way. Given the potential departures at defense after this season, if another person is a late add (a project if you will) a defenseman seems like the right place.

I agree, it seems a little thin.

Counting Scott Foyt and Kyle Radke at foward and not counting Bishop and Hamilton, there were 14 fowards and 6 d-men this last year. This year, there are the same amount of fowards and one more d-men. This leaves three players (two fowards and one d-men) out of the lineup every night. Even if two d-men get injured, you can still throw in Radke and put you're 13th foward in. To me, this is an ideal roster. I've said this before, but where you could see another d-men recruit is for 2008, not 2007.

I've said this before, but where you could see another d-men recruit is for 2008, not 2007.

There will likely need to be several more defensemen recruited for 2008. Jones, Genoway, LaPoint, Marto. That leaves a need for three or four more defensemen. Blood is one. Gleason may be another if he is ready. I'm sure the coaches have a few kids in mind.

There will likely need to be several more defensemen recruited for 2008. Jones, Genoway, LaPoint, Marto. That leaves a need for three or four more defensemen. Blood is one. Gleason may be another if he is ready. I'm sure the coaches have a few kids in mind.

Right. With likely depatures and with Blood and Gleason coming in, that would leave a spot for one more recruit.

Counting Scott Foyt and Kyle Radke at foward and not counting Bishop and Hamilton, there were 14 fowards and 6 d-men this last year. This year, there are the same amount of fowards and one more d-men. This leaves three players (two fowards and one d-men) out of the lineup every night. Even if two d-men get injured, you can still throw in Radke and put you're 13th foward in. To me, this is an ideal roster. I've said this before, but where you could see another d-men recruit is for 2008, not 2007.

Yes, you are correct in that analysis. And having folks like Radke and Genoway (and Robbie Bina has played F in the WCHA) give some "margin for unexpected".

I'm looking back further I guess in that Blais ran a roster with 8 defense and 15 forwards. Blais said that was best for the wide-open style (game and practice) that he ran.

Hak seems to like to run with a smaller set than that. If he's good with that, well, it's his team.