SiouxSports.com Forum

No, not I-AA, but FCS

NDSUFREAK10

No bashing intended but as you make the move up to the FCS level, not I-AA level, you will see the changed name even more. I have already been in this arguement before with someone else that is a member of this board (you know who you are :silly:). Hopefully most of you will join the AGS community to talk about FCS.

Just throwing that out there as you will be in the level sooner than you know it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered why my Grandfather called UND the Flickertails. :silly:

Guess he never got over the name change. :bigsmile:

Tell Grandpa to hang in there a few more years, I think he'll get to see us called the Flickertails again

I can understand you all being a little hesitant to begin using the FCS moniker. I have trouble with it myself at times. But, soon it will become more commonplace and people will understand what you are saying when you mention FCS and BCS. What I don't understand is why some of us here consider it to be an inferiority complex for us to use these terms. Plain and simple, they are more accurate and more descriptive than the old terms. If we all could understand that using a term like I-AA puts an INACCURATE negative connotation on your school than I think we would be more apt to support the change.

I'm oooooold! And I'm not happy! And I don't like things now compared to the way they used to be. All this progress -- phooey! In my day, we didn't have these cash machines that would give you money when you needed it. There was only one bank in each state -- it was open only one hour a year. And you'd get in line, seventeen miles long, and the line became an angry mob of people -- fornicators and thieves, mutant children and circus freaks -- and you waited for years and by the time you got to the teller, you were senile and arthritic and you couldn't remember your own name. You were born, got in line, and ya died! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was simpler then. There wasn't all this concern about hy-giene! It my days, we didn't have Kleenex. When you turned seventeen, you were given the family handkerchief. ... It hadn't been washed in generations and it stood on its own ... filled with diseases and swarmin' with flies. ... If you tried to blow your nose, you'd get an infection and your head would swell up and turn green and children would burst into tears at the sight o' ya! And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Life was a carnival! We entertained ourselves! We didn't need moooovin' pitchurrrres. In my day, there was only one show in town -- it was called "Stare at the sun!" ... That's right! You'd sit in the middle of an open field and stare up at the sun till your eyeballs burst into flames! And you thought, "Oh, no! Maybe I shouldn't've stared directly into the burning sun with my eyes wide open." But it was too late! Your head was on fire and people were roastin' chickens over it. ... And that's the way it was and we liked it!

Progress?! Flobble-de-flee! In my day, when we were angry and frustrated, we just said, "Flobble-de-flee!" 'cause we were idiots and we didn't know what else to say! Just a bunch o' illiterate Cro-Magnons, blowin' on crusty handkerchiefs, waitin' in lines for our head to burst into flame and that's the way it was and we liked it!

I'm old and I'm not happy. Everything today is improved and I don't like it. I hate it! In my day we didn't have hair dryers. If you wanted to blow dry your hair you stood outside during a hurricane. Your hair was dry but you had a sharp piece of wood driven clear through your skull and that's the way it was and you liked it! You loved it. Whoopee, I'm a human head-kabob. We didn't have Manoxidol and Hair Wings, in my day if your hair started falling out when you were 16 by 19 you were a bald freak. There was nothing you could do about it. Children would spit at you and nobody would mate with you so you couldn't pass on your disgusting baldness genes. You were a public menace, a crome dome by age 20 and that's the way it was and we liked it! We loved it. Hallelujiah look at me, I'm a bald freak oh happy day! Not like today, everybody feeling good about themselves. I hate it! In my day we didn't have these thin laytex condoms. So you could enjoy sexual pleasure. In my day there was only one kind of condom. You took a rabbit skin and wrapped around your privates and tied it off with a bungee cord and you couldn't feel nothing! And half the time you didn't even know your partner was there. And we used the same one over and over again! 'Cause we were ignorant morons! Just a bunch of hairless, head-kabobs standing around with rabbit skins on our dinks and that's the way we liked it!

That is a false statement to be perfectly blunt. There's nothing negative, disrespectful, or derogatory about the term I-AA. The way you come across, you'd think it was some kind of slur made up by fans of a rival division and not the actual name that we've all come to know and recognize over the years.

The "FCS" designation is simply an attempt to correct the common misconception that "DI-AA" was a completely separate division. Including the word "Football" in the title emphasizes the one-sport scope of the designation. I agree that it's a bit clumsy, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see it changed in the near future. However, for now, it's FCS not I-AA. Why not just use that name out of courtesy to those who have worked hard to make the sub-division what it is and are proud of it? UND is, after all, about to shell out a pile of cash to join that group.

For those of you in love with the DI-AA Label, please follow along:

Previously DI-A and DI-AA were both divisions (not sub-divisions) in DI, and the I-AA label was incorrectly placed all sports at schools that played I-AA football. For example, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc . . . were incorrectly labeled as DI-AA for schools such as Illinois State or Delaware that played DI-AA football. In reality there was no such thing as DI-AA for any sport other than football, in DI, but try explain that to a recruit (or a bunch of sioux fans for that matter). Therefore schools were labeled as DI-AA, instead of just football.

Therefore, two Sub-divisions of DI were created, FCS & FBS (not BCS), to designate football only in DI at the different scholarship levels. All DI sports are now to be referred to as DI with football having the FCS/FBS subdivision not attached to the DI label. This was done by the NCAA to reconcile the DI division and encourage equal footing for recruiting by all DI schools in all sports.

If you would like to continue to call it DI-AA, then feel free. I would however be obligated to refer to your entire school as DI-AA and your hockey program as DI-AA. I would be glad to do so if you would like. If you would like the DI-AA Sioux to play the DI-A gophers in hockey, then by all mean try to keep the DI-AA label alive.

While your ignorance and paranoya (clear from my reading) have led you to believe that some bison fan sold a bill of goods to the ncaa to eliminate DI-AA, that couldn't be further from the truth. When Montana plays for the same DI champoionship in basketball as Ohio State, they should not have to deal with an incorrect DI-AA label when recruiting. It is hard enough when you look at the Ohio State campus and resources without dealing with an incorrect label perception by recruits when you are indeed playing for the same championship.

Previously

DI-A

DI-AA (was supposed to be FB only, but labeled every sport)

DII

DIII

Now

DI Every sport including football is now referred to as DI, (FBS 85/FCS 0-63 are sub-divisions for football only)

DII

DIII

You can see that the DI-AA all sport label has been replaced correctly with DI. Note that it has not been replaced with DI FCS, just DI, with FCS being a sub-division not a division. Someday you will better understand and appreciate this subtle but correct move by the NCAA. For those of you that think the label will just change in a couple of years, no the DI label will not change. The sub-division labels could change if the FBS moves to a playoff, but the DI label will not change.

For those of you in love with the DI-AA Label, please follow along:

Previously DI-A and DI-AA were both divisions (not sub-divisions) in DI, and the I-AA label was incorrectly placed all sports at schools that played I-AA football. For example, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc . . . were incorrectly labeled as DI-AA for schools such as Illinois State or Delaware that played DI-AA football. In reality there was no such thing as DI-AA for any sport other than football, in DI, but try explain that to a recruit (or a bunch of sioux fans for that matter). Therefore schools were labeled as DI-AA, instead of just football.

Now I don't know if a lot of Sioux fans thought that IAA applied to all sports, but if they did, then wow! It is not exactly rocket science here. If a recruit or other fans can't comprehend the difference, then you have to start wondering how they are going to make a living if they can't figure that simple fact out.

That is a false statement to be perfectly blunt. There's nothing negative, disrespectful, or derogatory about the term I-AA. The way you come across, you'd think it was some kind of slur made up by fans of a rival division and not the actual name that we've all come to know and recognize over the years.

Originally, no it wasn't meant as derogatory. But, as many have pointed out it had been used that way by many schools to fool potential recruits. It is in that way that I was referring to the inaccurate and negative connotation with that label. I do apologize for the mistake in my post, I put BCS and I meant FBS. Like I said I am still getting used to the new terms. But, for all of the reasons given I fully support the name change and will continue to call them by their current names. If you want to continue calling them by the old names, I have no problem with that. I just think it puts the schools we both cheer for at a disadvantage with recruiting for sports other than football.

Yea, right ! Thats why they call them a Mid-Major..... :bigsmile:

And Montana is playing for the NCAA Mid-major Championship, is that correct? Maybe you would like to explain the different championships in basketball that Montana and Ohio State play for so I can follow your logic.

Now I don't know if a lot of Sioux fans thought that IAA applied to all sports, but if they did, then wow! It is not exactly rocket science here. If a recruit or other fans can't comprehend the difference, then you have to start wondering how they are going to make a living if they can't figure that simple fact out.

Do you really expect an 17 or 18 year old kid to understand the difference, when they have a coach in their living room telling them what to think?

I think you may be doing just that. It can be very confusing for young kids to know who is telling them the truth and who isn't. Especially during such a fast-paced process as recruiting can be. It was the right move for the NCAA to take that ability out of the hands of "Big School" coaches. They were purposely decieving young kids and that just isn't right. I don't think that you should be able to blatantly and knowingly lie to a young adult about your school being on a higher level for a sport when it clearly isn't.