SiouxSports.com Forum

No, not I-AA, but FCS

NDSUFREAK10

Just my thoughts...

But I'm guessing back in 1978 , it was a competition factor, weather that be money (scholarship) induced or not, so they decided to level the playing field with sudivisions....

Again just my opinion.... but I can see the same thing happening in MBB and or WBB.... They will possibly try to expand the big tournament at the end of the year, but this will face great resistance from the major BCS conference schools as they do noy want to cut up the money pie anymore....I think in the next 10 years you will see subdivisions in MBB and or WBB...

Just to help prove my point in the football discussion....Why are there BCS conferences if every Div 1 school has a equal oppurtunity for a Div 1 national title..?

Also just a little fact since 1901 when the NCAA was started....95 of the possible 106 National Football Championships (Mythical) have been won by 14 Schools, these include the like of Minnesota, Harvard, and Georgia Tech, that now can not win there conferences...(so the arguement could be made only 10-12 schools have a actual shot)

Oh and hey good luck on getting that Notre Dame game on NDSU's schedule, not in my lifetime.....

Hey, most FBS schools including a lot of the Big Ten will never get on Notre Dame's football schedule, that is not a fair comparison. I will gladly settle for Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oklahoma, NC State, TX A&M, Oregon, and schools like that. And yes, we will play games like these in your lifetime, assuming you have a few years left.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my thoughts...

But I'm guessing back in 1978 , it was a competition factor, weather that be money (scholarship) induced or not, so they decided to level the playing field with sudivisions....

Again just my opinion.... but I can see the same thing happening in MBB and or WBB.... They will possibly try to expand the big tournament at the end of the year, but this will face great resistance from the major BCS conference schools as they do noy want to cut up the money pie anymore....I think in the next 10 years you will see subdivisions in MBB and or WBB...

Just to help prove my point in the football discussion....Why are there BCS conferences if every Div 1 school has a equal oppurtunity for a Div 1 national title..?

Also just a little fact since 1901 when the NCAA was started....95 of the possible 106 National Football Championships (Mythical) have been won by 14 Schools, these include the like of Minnesota, Harvard, and Georgia Tech, that now can not win there conferences...(so the arguement could be made only 10-12 schools have a actual shot)

Oh and hey good luck on getting that Notre Dame game on NDSU's schedule, not in my lifetime.....

I would be shocked to see subdivisions in BB. Who would want to complete in the lower level when the big prize is there? For basketball how would you create a lower level, it would have to be through scolarship reductions, and when you only have 12-15 scholarships in the first place, why would you want to drop to a lower scholly level. Doesn't make any sence to me for BB, but we will see. Have a single DI division is great IMO and creates opportunity and parity for great play across the country, and I don't see that changing. In football you can create a sub-division, but how would you do it in BB. I would never want my school playing in a lower subdivison of DI BB, no way. It defeats the whole purpose of being DI.

For Football, why do you think that so many teams want to play in the 85 scholarship sub division? The prize, the prize. One special year can put your school on the map. Look at Boise State example last year. The only schools that I will remember in 5 years for the 2007 Bowl season were Bosie, Florida, and unfortunately MN. That fact the BCS championship for FBS football teams is so hard to win, make it all the more special. This elevates (not diminishes) the FBS champion. I hope my team will aspire to that level, but first I want to see some DI championships in FCS.

FCS football is part of DI, that is why FBS/FCS games count toward bowl eligibility. FCS is what it is, that is 63 scholarship football playing for the DI football championship. I am excited about the emphasis made by the ncaa to reconcile the DI division and create more competitoin between the FCS/FBS teams. This is definitely good for college football. The BCS championship is clearly the marquee championship, but the recent changes are bringing much greater exposure to the FCS subdivision of DI. The number games televised with FCS teams is rapidly growing.

I'll cheer for my team to win every game they play regardless who it is against. If we were to schedule a crappy D1 team like Ball State I would be very excited about that, but I just hope we don't whore ourselves out to the likes of Minnesota. I'm not interested in being a cupcake on somebody's schedule.

I also hope that you don't lower yourselves to playing Minnesota. Hopefully the bison will get all those games, and you can pull in a DII guarantee game that week at the Al against the Northern Sun. Yeah, and last year when the bison got completely trampled in MN, it left such a bad tastein my mouth and I felt so dirty. Then to turn around and see Ball St. play Michigan within a TD left me all empty inside. What is the word you used, whore out, or something like that. Wow, I am learning so much from you.

I also hope the Bison continue to play games that we can, before the opening kickoff, pencil in as losses with 99.9% certainty. I enjoy seeing the Bison lose almost as much as I enjoy seeing the Sioux win. As for the Sioux, I would like to see them fill their schedule with quality I-AA opponents.

If you are going to put down an L for the bison before the game, that's right, use a pencil. It's good to know that that the new scheduling model for the Sioux will actually be against "quality" opponents. Again, just quoting from your post. And as for the hate'in on the bison, that's just a shame, I was counting on your full support.

If this had been a fight, your corner would have thrown in the towel by now DK. You threw a lot of punch, but just not much behind them. As long as you don't make the state of ND look like idiots again out on AGS, I won't be back to visit. Say what you want on this board, but use some discretion when all of FCS is listening.

Best wishes to the sioux for a successful transition, sincerely.

Good day

Someone going to go tell these folks about DI-AA vs. FCS? :silly:

That's all fine and good. If you notice, they are using the proper terminology - Football Bowl Subdivision - and put I-A and I-AA in parentheses, probably for those who are slow on the uptake. :bigsmile: Give the writer a little slack - he's just trying to educate the obstinate. If you go to these guys, they don't have to be told, they already know.

I'm quite sure that those who hate the term I-AA would try to tell us that the move being contemplated by Montana is not really a move up but rather a lateral move. :bigsmile:

Not at all. I don't think anybody has ever said there isn't a difference in competition levels between FCS and FBS. Only that DII and DI FCS are the same, right? :silly:

Many people have argued till they're blue in the face that both divisions are D1 and they refuse to discuss it any further than that. For the record, I-AA and D2 are not the same either. Although the top 5 or 6 teams in D2 should be comparable to just about anybody in I-AA.

Both subdivisions ARE DI. They compete for different championships and the quality of play is different but they are the same division. You never heard while they were using the letter designations behind the 'I' people use the terminology DIAAA when referring to a school in DI without football. They were just DI. And for those that say a small school can't compete with a big school in the "other" sports like basketball, you'd have to convince somebody like Gonzaga of that which I don't think would be to easy. I could ask you this for arguments sake. Do you tell people that UND has an asterisk by their name when talking about DI hockey because they're really a DII school? No, because it's DI - regardless of the size of school the team comes from that you play. Same holds true for all other sports besides football. I think this is what the others are trying to get across.

In reference to competition levels, most would argue that the top 5 or 6 in DII could compete on a week-to-week basis with those in the top 10-15 in FCS. No offense to the Sioux or Grand Valley or NWMS or the like, but there wouldn't be much competition throughout a season against the likes of App St, Mont, Mont St, etc. At the funded scholarship levels, any given Saturday, yes. Throughout the season, highly doubt it. Now, they probably could compete throughout a season with those lower than say 15 but only a handful could.

You're not even close to the same level as Notre Dame and USC. Those are big-time schools that are well-known and marketed nationwide. Go into a store that sells sports merchandise anywhere in the country and you have a pretty good chance of finding a USC hat or a Notre Dame shirt. Good luck finding NDSU gear anywhere outside of a 100 mile radius of Fargo.

I don't really want to chime in on this conversation because I think that it's pretty silly but....

Since I live in Minneapolis and commute to Chicago for work almost every week I thought that i'd fill you in on the merchandising stuff..... NDSU apparel is found in almost all major sporting good stores in Minneapolis and I have also seen apparel in stores in the Chicagoland area.

Regarding D1-AA vs. FCS. DaveK can call it whatever he wants. There will be a time however when the accepted term will be FCS. At that time, people will look at DaveK and wonder what the hell he's talking about....

A great example is this.... What division do the MN Vikings play in?:bigsmile: It's the NFC north but no one refers to it as the NFC Central. No one says that the Vikings play in the "Western Conference".... They play in the NFC.

Call it what you want but the name has changed and the NCAA, affiliated schools and media largely do not use the term D1-AA anymore.

DaveK will soon come around... If he doesn't..... well people will think think he's off his rocker (if they don't already).

A great example is this.... What division do the MN Vikings play in?:bigsmile: It's the NFC north but no one refers to it as the NFC Central. No one says that the Vikings play in the "Western Conference".... They play in the NFC.

Good example but it isn't really accurate. The NFC Central included Tampa Bay and was used when the NFC only had 3 divisions. When they added teams and split it to four divisions, I could see why they would want to change the name as well. It is a different division than the Central was. Changing the name from AA to FCS is only changing the name. Nothing else changed to make the change more practical.

A better example would be if the NHL just changed its name to the Hockey Super League. People would still call it the NHL because nothing but the name has changed. However, if they merged with a pro league from Canada and created a new league called the HSL, I would see no reason for anyone to call it the NHL because it is a different entity. This is not what the NCAA did however. They did the former.

Basketball, no way. If you don't like the DI competition, you just go DII. It is much different than football.

In Football, the scholarships require so much cash that the subdivisions are needed just for the economics. And the game is brutal.

You call it subdivisions the rest of the country thinks of it as D1--JV, and confuses it more often with other divisions than D-1.

It is meaningful to the locals and alumni much like class b football is exciting to the local community, but re-branding it doesn't change what it is.

You call it subdivisions the rest of the country thinks of it as D1--JV, and confuses it more often with other divisions than D-1.

It is meaningful to the locals and alumni much like class b football is exciting to the local community, but re-branding it doesn't change what it is.

its hopeless ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, what is it? It is damn good football where the best teams can complete with the mid to top level FBS. Here is what it is and is not.

What it is:

Division I schools playing 63 scholarship football.

Division I schools that complete with all other Division I schools in all other sports.

Some games against Division I 85 scholarship schools that count toward bowl eligibility for those schools

Division I Football Championship Subdivision, did I say Divison I

Fans who say, bring on the completition

What it is Not:

Division II schools or Division II

Division III schools or Division III

NAIA schools

Division IA or IAA

FBS football (no, its FCS)

36 scholarship football with DII schools

Schools that are afraid to compete and play up

Whiny ass fans with an inferiority complex that criticize FCS (these folks are definitely DII, and they should stay there)

I don't really want to chime in on this conversation because I think that it's pretty silly but....

Since I live in Minneapolis and commute to Chicago for work almost every week I thought that i'd fill you in on the merchandising stuff..... NDSU apparel is found in almost all major sporting good stores in Minneapolis and I have also seen apparel in stores in the Chicagoland area.

Really because I also live in the Cities and have been all over looking for Sioux apparel and have yet to see either Sioux or Bison apparel anywhere. I've asked store owners and they've told me that aside from alums it's just not that big of a sell and they won't carry it.

If it is not I-AA, Mr. Know-It-All... then please tell us what is I-AA?

Compared to your knowledge of DI, yes I think that title fits. Division I-AA is old language and is dead, no longer exists. It's just DI, DII, DIII . . . that's it. I think that's the 12th time that I communicated that to you personnally.