SiouxSports.com Forum

who has a Hand Gun ?

Fetch

I understand the sensitivity of this issue, but for myself it just comes down to a matter of personal choice. Some choose to put their faith in law enforcement to protect them, their loved ones, and their property. Faced with a life and death type crisis, by the time law enforcement can react, the most they can do for you is to call someone to stuff you in a body bag and haul you off to the coroner. Gog bless all othe people of law enforcement for the job they do, but I chose to protect myself, my family, and my property, and not become another defenseless victim. Not everyone sees it that way, and that's fine. Just don't begrudge the people who responsibly own firearms guaranteed by THE 2ND AMMENDMENT OF THE U.S. CONTITUTION.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could give a rat's a$$ about Kennesaw, GA. I've never heard of that place and it means nothing to me. As for your underlined question, statistics show that people who keep guns in their home are 22 times more likely to be shot with their own gun than they are to shoot an intruder. Call me 22 times safer to live in a gun-free home.

The "right to bear arms" argument is antiquated and based on colonial times in which our society was much different than it is today. Maybe some people actually live in fear that King of England might come into their homes and start pushing them around, but I have my doubts about that ever happening to anybody.

Then by your logic the entire constitution is antiquated, which includes all of the following: the right to free speech, the right to peaceably assembly, freedom of religion, ect., ect. It's just convenient for you to single out LEGAL, RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERSHIP.

The Constitution is not antiquated. It was specifically written to guarantee we wouldn't lose certain rights. Our founding Fathers were very wise.

I am personally happy to live in a home with multiple guns in it. I believe I am safer for it. Remember when they were chasing that guy around the Drake area? I was sure glad we had guns in our house, and I am sure everyone in that area was glad as well. I like knowing I can defend myself.

No, I consider the rest of the constitution to be still valid and relevant in modern society.

Big suprise there. Quite frankly Dave I'm relieved that you don't own a firearm. Especially with all the uncontrolable rage issues you have (I think you know what I'm refering to.) I'm sure the folks down at your local post office/hockey arena are equally relieved.

I could give a rat's a$$ about Kennesaw, GA. I've never heard of that place and it means nothing to me. As for your underlined question, statistics show that people who keep guns in their home are 22 times more likely to be shot with their own gun than they are to shoot an intruder. Call me 22 times safer to live in a gun-free home.

The "right to bear arms" argument is antiquated and based on colonial times in which our society was much different than it is today. Maybe some people actually live in fear that King of England might come into their homes and start pushing them around, but I have my doubts about that ever happening to anybody.

Somebody in the ocean is eleventy billion times more likely to be bitten by a shark than I am sitting in the Cheap Seat at the Metrodome, so what.

A study claiming "guns are three times more likely to kill you than help you" is a total fraud. Even using the low figures from the Clinton Justice Department, firearms are used almost 50 times more often to save life than to take life. More importantly, however, the figure claiming one is three times more likely to be killed by one

Uninformed is what I would call you. :) Like I have said in a recent forum you might want to stick to maligning the Bison because your stats are flawed, wrong and inaccurate. I remember all the gloom and doom when Minnesota passed their concealed to carry laws, there were all of these people saying there was going to be wanton violence, mayhem and shoot outs in the street didn't happen. First off to get a conceal to carry permit you have to pass a extensive back ground check and a class. Also, guns don't walk down the street and kill people. The fact that more people are killed by cars than by fire arms. Criminal morons usually with stolen or illegally obtained firearms kill people.

In review: The second amendment guarantees me the right to bear arms and that right should not be infringed upon. Uniformed people is the reason I spend 35.00 a year to the NRA.

FIREARMS AND SELF-DEFENSE

Survey research indicates that there are more than 2.1 million

protective uses of firearms each year, far more than the number of violent

criminal gun uses reported by the FBI. Most self-defense uses do not

involve discharge of a firearm. In only 0.1% of defensive gun uses is a

criminal killed, and in only 1% is a criminal wounded. A Department of

Justice-sponsored survey found that 40% of felons had chosen not to

commit at least one specific crime for fear their victims were armed, and

34% admitted being scared off or shot at by armed victims.

U. S. Department of Justice victimization surveys show that the

protective use of a firearm lessens the chance that a rape, robbery or

assault attempt will be successfully completed and also reduces the

chance of injury to the intended victim.

CRIME RATES LOWER IN STATES THAT ALLOW

LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS TO CARRY FIREARMS

States with favorable concealed carry laws have lower rates of

crime than states with restrictive concealed carry laws. Overall, the

homicide rate for states with favorable carry laws is 31% lower, and the

robbery rate is 36% lower, than for states with restrictive concealed

carry laws.

States which have recently changed their laws have experienced

reductions in homicide rates. Since 1987, when Florida enacted a

favorable CCW law, its homicide rate has dropped 22%, even while the

national rate has risen 15%. Only .007% of Florida CCW permits have been

revoked because of a crime after licensure.

BIASED MEDIA POLLS DON'T TELL THE REAL STORY

Media polls conducted by national polling firms frequently use

biased questions and also limit the responses of those questioned. A Luntz

Weber Research & Strategic Services poll reflects an accurate view of

public opinion, using open ended questions which allow respondents to

express their real opinions, rather than be directed toward a desired

result. When given the opportunity to freely express themselves,

Americans reveal that they do not believe that "gun control" is effective

at fighting crime; they prefer criminal justice reform, stiffer penalties,

better enforcement and solutions aimed at the core causes of crime. Some

of the significant findings of the Luntz Weber survey are:

Which of the following proposals do you believe would be more likely to

reduce the number of violent crimes?

Mandatory Prison 70%

More Gun Control 25%

A fact that should be of greater concern--but which the study fails to mention--is that per capita murder overall is only half as frequent in the United States as in several other nations where gun murder is rarer, but murder by strangling, stabbing, or beating is much more frequent. (47)

Somebody in the ocean is eleventy billion times more likely to be bitten by a shark than I am sitting in the Cheap Seat at the Metrodome, so what.

A study claiming "guns are three times more likely to kill you than help you" is a total fraud. Even using the low figures from the Clinton Justice Department, firearms are used almost 50 times more often to save life than to take life. More importantly, however, the figure claiming one is three times more likely to be killed by one

Big suprise there. Quite frankly Dave I'm relieved that you don't own a firearm. Especially with all the uncontrolable rage issues you have (I think you know what I'm refering to.) I'm sure the folks down at your local post office/hockey arena are equally relieved.

:)

I am still waiting for him to respond to the stats that I smacked him over the head with. ;):)

He hasn't responded to my post citing legitmate research findings by a 'not comedian' either. He hasn't answered STS's question. Just latches onto something like THETRIOUXPER'S innocent remark and blows smoke... I guess he thinks that we won't notice that he hasn't answered anyone's legitimate questions. I'm willing to bet he takes this post as an opportunity to NOT answer the questions yet again!!

Your stats are nothing more than a conservative spin job at avoiding the problem.

Ah there you go when the numbers don't support you're rants they are a spin job. Wow, are you sure you didn't go to college at the UofMN? :)

He hasn't responded to my post citing legitmate research findings by a 'not comedian' either. He hasn't answered STS's question. Just latches onto something like THETRIOUXPER'S innocent remark and blows smoke... I guess he thinks that we won't notice that he hasn't answered anyone's legitimate questions. I'm willing to bet he takes this post as an opportunity to NOT answer the questions yet again!!

I know he is doing one hell of a tap dance as well... :)

So, the following facts did not come from a stand up comedian's night club routine but from legitimate research. Should I decide that I want to write a thesis on gun control whose stats will my thesis committee will look upon with favor. Hmmm, I wonder.......

Does Bazooka Bubble gum still come with 'facts' wrapped around the gum?

Hicks (the COMEDIAN)was dead three years before the UK even passed their most recent and most restrictive gun law, after which gun crime rose by 40%. Maybe Carrot Top has something interesting to say about that. What about the 1.5-2.5 MILLION times guns are used for self defense in the United States each year, does Gallagher have something to say about that?

U. S. Department of Justice victimization surveys show that the protective use of a firearm lessens the chance that a rape, robbery or assault attempt will be successfully completed and also reduces the chance of injury to the intended victim.

...per capita murder overall is only half as frequent in the United States as in several other nations where gun murder is rarer, but murder by strangling, stabbing, or beating is much more frequent.

U. S. Department of Justice victimization surveys show that the protective use of a firearm lessens the chance that a rape, robbery or assault attempt will be successfully completed and also reduces the chance of injury to the intended victim.

Davek I am not sure what part of this statement you don't understand. US department of Justice, you can't get anymore solid than that. :)

Do you worry that once 51% of the population wants all guns banned that the other 49% will no matter because its what the majority wanted even though it was and has been their right all along?

Maybe DC and other cities that have strict gun laws (NY & Chicago) can put it to a vote? What better way in a "democracy" than for the citizens to decide.

After all if just one of those judges voted the other way guns would still be banned in DC and lead the way for other cities across the country and nation to start to ban guns (This happens so often when a new President appoints their Supreme Court Justices which broadly share their ideological views).