SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what section to put this in but this seems as appropriate as any since it did happen at the "X" tonight. I was in line at the concession stand and the guy in front of me was the one and only Don (Don't Call Me) Lucia (Pet). It just so happened that I was wearing a Sioux shirt with the logo right on the front. After he ordered and turned around, he kind of looked at me like people do when they pass someone, but then the funny part was that he took a double-take at my shirt, kind of got a sh**ty grin on his face, and looked up in the air like "you've got to be kidding me".

I thought it was quite funny the look he had on his face. He was probably thinking I can't go anywhere without being reminded of Five-Hole Frazee giving up the season-ending goal. Good stuff.....good stuff.

:silly::D

I'm not sure what section to put this in but this seems as appropriate as any since it did happen at the "X" tonight. I was in line at the concession stand and the guy in front of me was the one and only Don (Don't Call Me) Lucia (Pet). It just so happened that I was wearing a Sioux shirt with the logo right on the front. After he ordered and turned around, he kind of looked at me like people do when they pass someone, but then the funny part was that he took a double-take at my shirt, kind of got a sh**ty grin on his face, and looked up in the air like "you've got to be kidding me".

I thought it was quite funny the look he had on his face. He was probably thinking I can't go anywhere without being reminded of Five-Hole Frazee giving up the season-ending goal. Good stuff.....good stuff.

:silly::D

That just made my whole night. :)

I like the Wild too. I think Detroit will be done once they play a team that's younger in age and isn't worn out from must making the playoffs.

Cheli should be drawing social security next week.

Heh. I agree. The one thing I tell my father (a big Wild fan whom I watched last night's game with) is that Detroit won't get much farther with Geriatrics. If they dumped or better yet traded as much of the old farts as they could (save Lidstrom) I think Detroit might have a down season or two but then come back even more dangerous.

Youth is one of the strengths I see for the Wild.

By the way, PM Bouchard should be on the line with Gabby. Walz has no scoring ability whatsoever. Bouchard has the passing ability Walz has PLUS can occasionally you know..score. Walz should go back to the one thing he does: Checking line play.

I think the Wild are a LOT like the Twins. At the point where they are ALMOST a title contender but unable to take the last step because of rigid adherence to a bogus system and the inability to spend the money. Sure, the Wild signed a few ok players, but most of them have been defensive players like Nummelin or Carney. Parrish has underwhelmed. Demitra turned out to be a good acquisition. They're just one or two scoring forwards shy of a Stanley Cup run. Too many checkers and role players on this team. That's why they are so frustrating for me to watch.

And Lemaire's "Defense to the point of boredom" approach has approved somewhat this year but not as much as it needs to. They're only slightly more fun to watch than Dallas (the UW of the NHL).

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but to me, this team shouldn't be as bad as it is. If a team is just flat out bad that's one thing. But a team that is on the cusp like the Wild, it's hair raising how frustrating this team is to watch because they COULD be there if they only had one or two more scorers.

Heh. I agree. The one thing I tell my father (a big Wild fan whom I watched last night's game with) is that Detroit won't get much farther with Geriatrics. If they dumped or better yet traded as much of the old farts as they could (save Lidstrom) I think Detroit might have a down season or two but then come back even more dangerous.

By the way, PM Bouchard should be on the line with Gabby. Walz has no scoring ability whatsoever. Bouchard has the passing ability Walz has PLUS can occasionally you know..score. Walz should go back to the one thing he does: Checking line play.

I think the Wild are a LOT like the Twins. At the point where they are ALMOST a title contender but unable to take the last step because of rigid adherence to a bogus system and the inability to spend the money. Sure, the Wild signed a few ok players, but most of them have been defensive players like Nummelin or Carney. Parrish has underwhelmed. Demitra turned out to be a good acquisition. They're just one or two scoring forwards shy of a Stanley Cup run. Too many checkers and role players on this team. That's why they are so frustrating for me to watch.

And Lemaire's "Defense to the point of boredom" approach has approved somewhat this year but not as much as it needs to. They're only slightly more fun to watch than Dallas (the UW of the NHL).

Sorry if I came across as harsh, but to me, this team shouldn't be as bad as it is. If a team is just flat out bad that's one thing. But a team that is on the cusp like the Wild, it's hair raising how frustrating this team is to watch because they COULD be there if they only had one or two more scorers.

Here is what really chaps my butt as a hockey fan who likes the Wild. The Wild have tried to knickle and dime the fans and the management has to go further and get some more talent, I am thinking if they Wild don't make more of an effort to sign a few more offensive stars and continue to be just ok the fans are going to start staying home. Granted the Wild did improve some this season, they basically just qualified for the playoffs and will be done on Tuesday night. The Wild went out and claimed to spend all of this money and basically all they did was pick up a few pieces of the puzzle, Parrish is a nice 3rd line center. Some of these free agents haven't really panned out like I think they wanted them to. Nummelin would be the first player in cut in the offseason along with Skoula, those two are over paid pylons. The Wild should have re-signed Willie Mitchell because they are just not tough enough. I like Carney and Burns has really improved but they need offense. Johnsson has been a huge disapointment he is making almost as much as Gabby.

Zach was the # 1 star of Game 1 vs. TB . . . He and Travis are pumped

fullj.getty-73851084rb024_game_1_tampa__9_57_36_pm.jpg

And he finally got his teeth fixed.

Yeah, I was watching that game and saw him loose his first tooth in the big leagues. Triouxper called me and asked if I saw ZPar "pickin up the chiclettes?"

Notice how a lot of the guys are wearing mouth pieces now and half visors. Not a bad idea with how light the sticks have become.

I agree with you now redwing :silly: I do have higher expectations from the WILD and they have built a great foundation of young players. I am jsut disappointed that this series has not been better. Anaheim is a great team and can win the whoel thing but the Wild are a good team and it should not be 3-0.

I also agree that PM Bouchard would make a better center on that line. Maybe next year. Who do you think the WILD should sign this off season? They need somoene like Jason Blake, someone who can be tough and score. and to show how much more of a homer I am can you beleive they drafted AJ Thelen before Drew Stafford or Travis Zajac. AJ will never play in the NHL and they sure could use STAFFORD :)

They have to have a big WAR CHEST of money in the basement of the X, they sell out everything and other than the last off season they have been very ruluctant to spend it

I agree with you now redwing :D I do have higher expectations from the WILD and they have built a great foundation of young players. I am jsut disappointed that this series has not been better. Anaheim is a great team and can win the whoel thing but the Wild are a good team and it should not be 3-0.

I also agree that PM Bouchard would make a better center on that line. Maybe next year. Who do you think the WILD should sign this off season? They need somoene like Jason Blake, someone who can be tough and score. and to show how much more of a homer I am can you beleive they drafted AJ Thelen before Drew Stafford or Travis Zajac. AJ will never play in the NHL and they sure could use STAFFORD :silly:

They have to have a big WAR CHEST of money in the basement of the X, they sell out everything and other than the last off season they have been very ruluctant to spend it

I believe that if they don't start investing in that team the fans will turn on them. It won't happen right of way but they need to pick up a few more players. Blake would look great in a Wild Jersey, Cullen would have looked nice as well. I think they also need one more top line player to play with Demitra and Gabby.

I think that you're read of the Red Wings is wrong. Many of their new stars are relatively young---Datsyuk is 29, Zetterberg is 26, Kronwall is 26, Franzen is 27, Hudler is 23, Filppula is 23, Cleary is 28 and Calder is 28. They also have some other young stars. Granted, Chelios, Schneider and Lidstrom are old, as is Hasek, but they have many pieces in place. They also have Jimmy Howard waiting in the wings. The Wild also have their share of old guys--Carney is 37, Demitra is 32, Rolston is 34, Walz is 36, Nummelin is 34. They also have some young stars in Bouchard at 22, Gaborik at 25 and Koivu at 24, but do you really think that core of young players is any better than Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Filppula, etc.? Every year people predict that the Wings are too old and will start falling, but it hasn't happened yet. They are one of the best run organizations, particularly with Ken Holland as GM and Yzerman in the front office. Don't look for them to fall any time soon.

The Wild also have their share of old guys--Carney is 37, Demitra is 32, Rolston is 34, Walz is 36, Nummelin is 34. They also have some young stars in Bouchard at 22, Gaborik at 25 and Koivu at 24, but do you really think that core of young players is any better than Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Filppula, etc.?

Since when is 37 old? :D Holy Cow. Cheli is like 44 and I believe that Hasek is like 42.

First: Of those old guys mentioned: I think Detroit should dump all but Lidstrom. Including Hasek and Osgood. Seriously, losing Legace was a bad move. I think he would make a better transitional goaltender to Howard and the like than the Rascal specials currently rotating. Yeah, Detroit has gotten somewhat younger, but they still snatch everyone up they can when I think good drafting can do just as good without the monetary output. Every offseason Red Wings fans have to bite their nails wondering if we'll be able to resign Datsyuk or Zetterberg or Lidstrom because we're signing guys like Chelios and Schneider and Lang and Hasek. I like those guys, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the Red Wings would go down the crapper without them.

Second: I think Blake will be a disaster in a Wild uniform. He's gritty sure. He can score, double sure. But he's a personality and personalities don't mix well with LeMaire. I don't see Blake buying into a defense first mentality as well. I DO agree that Cullen would have been a good fit with the Sioux though... but how many Stephane Veillieuxs do you need?

Thanks to their system, now, I think the Wild are trapped with Nummelin and Johnsson. Skoula may be expendable. However, saying they need more scoring from the blue line is one thing, working it into the system is another. Right now, the way I see it is that LeMaire uses Dmen in the offensive zone to set up plays, move the puck around, hold the zone, and prevent odd man rushes the other way. They have very few plays designed for defensemen to produce the offense. We saw one of the few last night when Nummelin scored the goal of the night on the power play. Defensemen play defense in LeMaire's system.

And LeMaire can walk on water so regardless of what anyone says, LeMaire can be like Glen Mason of the NHL but it won't matter.

And you're right. Season ends on Tuesday. Best case scenario, though, is that their season ends in Game 5.

In regards to the Wild and getting players next year:

Right now they are right at the cap level, so saying they don't spend money is definitely last year. Who's coming off for free agency this summer? The NHL teams can't just cut players like the NFL to save money on the cap. I don't see them having money to get a big name free agent this summer unless the cap goes up again.

Anyone see that replay of Z Par taking a high stick to the throat? It seems like all of these teams are having trouble keeping the sticks on the ice.

I saw the live version and the replay. That's the 2nd time it's happened to the Devils in as many games. With the one that happened to Lukowich in the last game, the ref wasn't in position to see it, but with Zach's the ref was standing right in front of him. They have two refs and two linesman, but can't see these things. Pathetic.

That goal was awesome. HOLY PARISE is right.

I'm waiting for Stafford to get one tonite, he's playin like a man posessed in the second.

they keep knocking Stafford over, it is hiliarious to watch his face because he is getting so mad that they are doing it and then he missed one shot and he was just shaking his head on the bench like "I can't believe I missed that"