SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

Yea, kind of like Jason Spezza who had 87 points in 67 games.

And played 46 games in the AHL before he made the NHL for good.

But lets talk about players who were drafted before Lee in 2005, excluding Crosby because he's Crosby and Carey Price because he's a goalie.

#2 pick Bobby Ryan - 27 AHL games, 0 NHL games.

#3 pick Jack Johnson - Played five games for the Kings this year

#4 pick Benoit Pouliot - 69 AHL games, 3 NHL games.

#6 pick Gilbert Brule - 0 AHL games, 84 NHL games

#7 pick Jack Skille - Played three games in the AHL this year

#8 pick Devin Setoguchi - 0 AHL, 0 NHL

So other than Crosby, only Gilbert Brule has shown that he is in the NHL to stay.

------------------

Now lets look at players who were drafted #9 overall

2000 - Brent Krahn - Goalie, yet to play in NHL

2001 - Tuomo Ruutu - Played two years in Finland before playing for the Blackhawks

2002 - Pierre-Marc Bouchard - Played a year Chicoutimi before joining the Wild.

2003 - Dion Phaneuf - Played two years for Red Deer before joining the Flames

2004 - Ladislav Smid - 71 AHL games

2006 - James Sheppard - Played for Cape Breton this year

Seems pretty 50/50 to me. Just because you are a #9 pick doesn't mean you'll step right into the NHL. What do I know though?

-----------------------

How about all D-men drafted #9 or earlier from 2000-2004.

#4 Rostislav Klesla - 0 AHL games

#5 Lars Jonsson - 70 AHL games. Played in Sweden until this year

#7 Mike Komisarek - 74 AHL games

#3 Jay Bouwmeester - 2 AHL games

#4 Joni Pitkanen - Only in the AHL during the lockout

#5 Ryan Whitney - 29 AHL games

#7 Ryan Suter - Only in the AHL during the lockout

#8 Braydon Coburn - 109 AHL games

#9 Dion Phanuef

#3 Cam Barker - 40 AHL games

#9 Ladislav Smid

Klesla, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Phanuef and Suter made the NHL pretty much immediately, though you could argue Pitkanen, Phanuef and Suter may not have if not for the lockout. Jonsson, Komisarek, Whitney, Coburn, Barker and Smid had to play in the AHL before making it to the NHL. So once again about 50/50.

Just because you're drafted high doesn't mean you'll be great and to assume that is what it should mean is foolish.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you saying that not all high draft picks pan out? How does that refute my point that top ten picks are supposed to be impact players? If your already calling Lee a bust than thats fine but to say that the senators were hoping to get him into the NHL after a few years in the AHL is ridiculus. They thought he would be ready to step in by next year they don't usually waste #9 overall picks on players who are going to be seeing their first action when they are 26.

Ah, no.

Daigle wasn't a bust in the NHL. He just wasn't an impact player. And, no, I'm not calling Lee a bust either. In fact, I think he's quite good. Not the best, but quite good. Of course, you're so wrapped up in the hype and NHL draft position (which is really something college recruiters look heavily into when trying to decide how good college players will be. Which is why Jason Herter was the best player ever for the Sioux while Duncan and Belfour were the worst :silly:) you don't see it.

Brian Lee isn't going to be Niklas Lidstrom or Scott Stevens or Chris Pronger or whatever standard you use to define "the best modern NHL defenseman." At least, we don't know yet. But he's not a bust.

Whatever though, keep on hatin'. It's what you seem to do best.

And played 46 games in the AHL before he made the NHL for good.

But lets talk about players who were drafted before Lee in 2005, excluding Crosby because he's Crosby and Carey Price because he's a goalie.

#2 pick Bobby Ryan - 27 AHL games, 0 NHL games.

#3 pick Jack Johnson - Played five games for the Kings this year

#4 pick Benoit Pouliot - 69 AHL games, 3 NHL games.

#6 pick Gilbert Brule - 0 AHL games, 84 NHL games

#7 pick Jack Skille - Played three games in the AHL this year

#8 pick Devin Setoguchi - 0 AHL, 0 NHL

So other than Crosby, only Gilbert Brule has shown that he is in the NHL to stay.

------------------

Now lets look at players who were drafted #9 overall

2000 - Brent Krahn - Goalie, yet to play in NHL

2001 - Tuomo Ruutu - Played two years in Finland before playing for the Blackhawks

2002 - Pierre-Marc Bouchard - Played a year Chicoutimi before joining the Wild.

2003 - Dion Phaneuf - Played two years for Red Deer before joining the Flames

2004 - Ladislav Smid - 71 AHL games

2006 - James Sheppard - Played for Cape Breton this year

Seems pretty 50/50 to me. Just because you are a #9 pick doesn't mean you'll step right into the NHL. What do I know though?

-----------------------

How about all D-men drafted #9 or earlier from 2000-2004.

#4 Rostislav Klesla - 0 AHL games

#5 Lars Jonsson - 70 AHL games. Played in Sweden until this year

#7 Mike Komisarek - 74 AHL games

#3 Jay Bouwmeester - 2 AHL games

#4 Joni Pitkanen - Only in the AHL during the lockout

#5 Ryan Whitney - 29 AHL games

#7 Ryan Suter - Only in the AHL during the lockout

#8 Braydon Coburn - 109 AHL games

#9 Dion Phanuef

#3 Cam Barker - 40 AHL games

#9 Ladislav Smid

Klesla, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Phanuef and Suter made the NHL pretty much immediately, though you could argue Pitkanen, Phanuef and Suter may not have if not for the lockout. Jonsson, Komisarek, Whitney, Coburn, Barker and Smid had to play in the AHL before making it to the NHL. So once again about 50/50.

Just because you're drafted high doesn't mean you'll be great and to assume that is what it should mean is foolish.

I'll give credit for the research. Atleast you can counter with somthing other than personal attacks, unlike most of the other posters on this site. I came off wrong. I meant to say that the Senators probably weren't hoping to have him work it out in the AHL after playing a few years in WCHA. He was drafted in 2005, they usually would like to have them in the NHL within about 2 years. I wasn't trying to say that playing in the AHL is bad, I was trying to make the point that for Lee to work it out for a few more years in AHL after the years in the WCHA is not what the team was hoping for. The players you named above probably started playing in the AHL a year after being drafted and played a year maybe two. They didn't play 3 years of college and then work it out for a few more in the AHL.

I'll give credit for the research. Atleast you can counter with somthing other than personal attacks, unlike most of the other posters on this site. I came off wrong. I meant to say that the Senators probably weren't hoping to have him work it out in the AHL after playing a few years in WCHA. He was drafted in 2005, they usually would like to have them in the NHL within about 2 years. I wasn't trying to say that playing in the AHL is bad, I was trying to make the point that for Lee to work it out for a few more years in AHL after the years in the WCHA is not what the team was hoping for. The players you named above probably started playing in the AHL a year after being drafted and played a year maybe two. They didn't play 3 years of college and then work it out for a few more in the AHL.

I am sure that Ottawa would have loved to draft a player that would step right into the NHL, but that is totally unrealistic for all but a very few players (like Sid the Kid). Even your timetable of being in the league in 2 years is unrealistic for almost all players, and especially for a defenseman. Defensemen often take 2 to 3 years of college plus at least 1 or 2 years in the AHL to get up to NHL speed. Most defensemen don't stay in the NHL full time until they are at least 22 or 23, even high draft choices. And, as we have seen recently, they can play the position into their early 40s. It just takes longer for players at this position to develop. Part of that is learning how to play the position and part of it is growing and developing physically. If Brian played 1 more year at UND and then played half of the following year in the AHL he would still only be 21 when he got called up. I am pretty sure that Ottawa would be very happy if Brian developed into a regular contributor by the time he turned 23 (which will be near the end of the season in 2010). That would still give him 15 or 20 years of regular play if he lasted that long.

In speaking with a source that is close to Brian Lee, they said he is weighing his options but they are 99.9% sure he will stay at UND one more year. That was as of April 29th.

Good to hear...amazing, for the 2007-2008 season (2-3 potential Hobey finalists, including the returning Hobey Baker winner), our strength may actually be our defense! Hope everyone paid for their season ticket renewals because I suspect you'll wish you had.

Good to hear...amazing, for the 2007-2008 season (2-3 potential Hobey finalists, including the returning Hobey Baker winner), our strength may actually be our defense! Hope everyone paid for their season ticket renewals because I suspect you'll wish you had.

If True - LOGJAM!!

• 2 weeks later...

hf on finley, #13 prospect for washington

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9643

13. Joe Finley, D

Acquired: 1st round, 27th overall, 2005

Weighing in at 6'7 240 lbs, and tough as nails, makes Finley an immediately noticeable young defensive prospect on the horizon. Just beginning his NCAA career with the University of North Dakota, Finley's work ethic and improvement since being drafted in 2005 gives this youngster a high potential upside.

Finley is not going to be a defenseman who puts up points. With one goal and six assists in 38 games, Finley is there to control the game defensively. His incredible size, mixed with a certain aggressiveness, gives him the ability to take control of a game from a defensive standpoint. Whether it is blocking shots or applying a momentum-changing hit, Finley has all the tools to be a major factor in any contest. Also an incredibly hard worker, Finley has worked hard on improving his skating, and other offensive skills. If he can become a consistent defender at the NCAA level, there is no telling how far he can go given his determination and willingness to improve all aspects of his game.

hf on finley, #13 prospect for washington

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9643

13. Joe Finley, D

Acquired: 1st round, 27th overall, 2005

Weighing in at 6'7 240 lbs, and tough as nails, makes Finley an immediately noticeable young defensive prospect on the horizon. Just beginning his NCAA career with the University of North Dakota, Finley's work ethic and improvement since being drafted in 2005 gives this youngster a high potential upside.

Finley is not going to be a defenseman who puts up points. With one goal and six assists in 38 games, Finley is there to control the game defensively. His incredible size, mixed with a certain aggressiveness, gives him the ability to take control of a game from a defensive standpoint. Whether it is blocking shots or applying a momentum-changing hit, Finley has all the tools to be a major factor in any contest. Also an incredibly hard worker, Finley has worked hard on improving his skating, and other offensive skills. If he can become a consistent defender at the NCAA level, there is no telling how far he can go given his determination and willingness to improve all aspects of his game.

He has improved drastically with his skating and defensive play, but what I noticed most was his shot from the point! True, he's not going to be a Chorney or a Lee but if he can get that wrister more accurate, some great things are going to happen!

I saw Chay today at lunch, and as reported possible in Brad's Blog back in April, it appears that he may have recently had surgery. Hopefully he's rehab will go well and he can continue to build on what he accomplished his freshman year.

The 2007 Roster is coming together. There are a few questions still out there.

Goal (3):

Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Walski

Anthony Grieco

Defense (8):

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Brian Lee (some question still exists, no decision likely while Ottawa is still playing)

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Chay Genoway (will he play forward if Lee stays?)

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (15?):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

Jonathan Toews (the waiting is the hardest part, still not signed, hope...)

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Shea Hamilton

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney (possible medical redshirt?)

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Brett Hextall (if Toews stays, I expect him to come in 2008)

The 2007 Roster is coming together. There are a few questions still out there.

Goal (3):

Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Walski

Anthony Grieco

Defense (8):

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Brian Lee (some question still exists, no decision likely while Ottawa is still playing)

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (15?):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

Jonathan Toews (the waiting is the hardest part, still not signed, hope...)

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Shea Hamilton

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney (possible medical redshirt?)

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Brett Hextall (if Toews stays, I expect him to come in 2008)

Derrick seems pretty excited to be coming here... Every time I talk to him, he tries to be nonchalant about it, but I can tell he's really excited lol..... And Hextall told me he turned in everything that nees to be turned in, but he's waiting to hear back on some stuff... I haven't really talked to Malone or Trupp yet....

PS. I've had 2 dreams where Toews has said he's staying... Let's hope these come true :ohmy:

I seen this no where but here. Is this speculation?

I only speculate because he was not able to contribute this year and the surgery he is having is not routine, if the shoulder doesn't mend correctly I don't think he will be physically strong enough to play in the WCHA. The fact that we are currently overloaded with forwards makes this more likely.

I only speculate because he was not able to contribute this year and the surgery he is having is not routine, if the shoulder doesn't mend correctly I don't think he will be physically strong enough to play in the WCHA. The fact that we are currently overloaded with forwards makes this more likely.

Are you talking about a sholder reconstruction?

Well, now there are now less questions out there...

Goal (3):

Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Walski

Anthony Grieco

Defense (8):

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Brian Lee (will he stay, we should know by June 1st?)

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (15):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Shea Hamilton

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney (will he be healthy enough to play?)

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Brett Hextall (if Genoway plays forward next season will he come in 2008)

Well, now there are now less questions out there...

Goal (3):

Philippe Lamoureux

Aaron Walski

Anthony Grieco

Defense (8):

Robbie Bina

Taylor Chorney

Brian Lee (will he stay, we should know by June 1st?)

Joe Finley

Zach Jones

Derrick LaPoint

Jake Marto

Forward (15):

Rylan Kaip

Kyle Radke

TJ Oshie

Ryan Duncan

Andrew Kozek

Ryan Martens

Brad Miller

Matt Watkins

Shea Hamilton

Chris VandeVelde

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney (will he be healthy enough to play?)

Brad Malone

Evan Trupp

Brett Hextall (if Genoway plays forward next season will he come in 2008)

Where and when was it confirmed that Marto will be part of next years roster, and if so could you please provide the link. The reason I ask is because I doubt there is room for him if Lee stays.

Where and when was it confirmed that Marto will be part of next years roster, and if so could you please provide the link. The reason I ask is because I doubt there is room for him if Lee stays.

8 defensemen is hardly unusual, especially when 1 can play forward. I don't have the link, but I think that Marto MUST come. I think he will be too old for USHL. If I am not mistaken he did sign a LOI and as such UND is required to offer a scholarship. I don't think Marto will see the ice much, but I have been wrong before. (Some would say often :lol: ) I suspect that he might be like other Grand Forks natives that become key contributers by their Junior / Senior years.

8 defensemen is hardly unusual, especially when 1 can play forward. I don't have the link, but I think that Marto MUST come. I think he will be too old for USHL. If I am not mistaken he did sign a LOI and as such UND is required to offer a scholarship. I don't think Marto will see the ice much, but I have been wrong before. (Some would say often :lol: ) I suspect that he might be like other Grand Forks natives that become key contributers by their Junior / Senior years.

technically 9 defensemen because Radke is a defenseman who got switched to forward late in the season. Just saying. :D

technically 9 defensemen because Radke is a defenseman who got switched to forward late in the season. Just saying. :D

Furthermore, an LOI only guarantees financial aid for one academic year, not a scholarship per the link info. In order to get that financial aid Marto would have to attend and complete that full academic year. I guess he could come in as a walk-on but 9 d-men seems like a crowd to me.

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/loi_freq_questions.htm