SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont thinkanyone is giving marto a chance. when he gets in to und's weight training program he will gain the weight that is needed to play in the wcha. watching him play high school hockey he was a phenomenal player and his stats in the ushl were quite good he had 23 points this seaon which was second on his team. he is a natural hockey player and with added size and strength he could be a good 4 year player here. i am not saying he is going to be a superstar but i think he should be at least given a chance to play before we consider him just a 4 year bench warmer.

I agree that Marto could be a contributor, maybe not so much his freshman season, but down the road. Lives-to-play... wow, you continue to amaze. If we lose Lee, that is a huge hole to fill on the blue line that Lapointe or Marto would have trouble with immediately. If we get Lee for another season, I think Radke may be fighting for some icetime... just my take.

I agree that Marto could be a contributor, maybe not so much his freshman season, but down the road. Lives-to-play... wow, you continue to amaze. If we lose Lee, that is a huge hole to fill on the blue line that Lapointe or Marto would have trouble with immediately. If we get Lee for another season, I think Radke may be fighting for some icetime... just my take.

Don't respond to Lives to play. He's a Lee "Hater" and there's really no rationalizing with him. I agree with you though, Lee leaving would be a huge blow to the team. He's never been worse than 3rd in the team in scoring by defenseman.

As for not giving Marto a chance, well, apart from the "haters" piping in, who would you bench for Marto? For Marto's freshman year, I don't see him getting much ice time because there is simply too much talent already in the lineup and experienced talent as well. I doubt he'll be a 4 year bench warmer, but he's not going to jump into the game right away either. I expect not to see much of Marto his freshman year.

i dont thinkanyone is giving marto a chance. when he gets in to und's weight training program he will gain the weight that is needed to play in the wcha. watching him play high school hockey he was a phenomenal player and his stats in the ushl were quite good he had 23 points this seaon which was second on his team. he is a natural hockey player and with added size and strength he could be a good 4 year player here. i am not saying he is going to be a superstar but i think he should be at least given a chance to play before we consider him just a 4 year bench warmer.

dont think anyones saying he will be a 4 year benchwarmer by any means. its simple, we are loaded at D with or without lee staying, lapoint is a great recruit coming in. marto may be the odd man out this year and then after tat he may have a zach jones type role on the team, nothing wrong with that

Don't respond to Lives- to play-withhimself-06. He's a self confessed Lee "Hater" and there's really no rationalizing with him. I agree with you though, Lee leaving would be a huge blow to the team. He's never been worse than 3rd in the team in scoring by defenseman.

I begining to think Lives- to play-withhimself-06 is a troll that lives under the sorlie bridge.

Radke and Marto are better than Brian Lee.

im thinking that you just like to get a rise out of people. i dont know if anybody is as stupid as you appear. its not just every once in a while. its all the time.

I'm pretty sure Hak has Marto on a specific weight plan and the kid works out at REA during the summer. While he will improve physically when he arrives at UND, he's not going to going to turn into a freak of nature.

As for Marto being better than Lee?? Holding a 20 year old in the USHL must be a secret disguise :lol:

I'm pretty sure Hak has Marto on a specific weight plan and the kid works out at REA during the summer. While he will improve physically when he arrives at UND, he's not going to going to turn into a freak of nature.

As for Marto being better than Lee?? Holding a 20 year old in the USHL must be a secret disguise :D

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Marto is better than Lee. I remeber his biggest liability was his size, I remeber Marto being an awesome skater in High School.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Marto is better than Lee. I remeber his biggest liability was his size, I remeber Marto being an awesome skater in High School.

I do have to give Marto some credit. I pointed out 2 years ago that he was at 150 in the last two years (according to the listings anyway) he has added 10 per year. He was listed at 170 this season. If he can get 10 pounds of muscle the summer, he might hold up to WCHA play.

I do have to give Marto some credit. I pointed out 2 years ago that he was at 150 in the last two years (according to the listings anyway) he has added 10 per year. He was listed at 170 this season. If he can get 10 pounds of muscle the summer, he might hold up to WCHA play.

That is a big difference. 190 would be nice.

Don't respond to Lives to play. He's a Lee "Hater" and there's really no rationalizing with him. I agree with you though, Lee leaving would be a huge blow to the team. He's never been worse than 3rd in the team in scoring by defenseman.

As for not giving Marto a chance, well, apart from the "haters" piping in, who would you bench for Marto? For Marto's freshman year, I don't see him getting much ice time because there is simply too much talent already in the lineup and experienced talent as well. I doubt he'll be a 4 year bench warmer, but he's not going to jump into the game right away either. I expect not to see much of Marto his freshman year.

Red wing, I'm interested in seeing how you would rank the defenseman on the team last year.

Red wing, I'm interested in seeing how you would rank the defenseman on the team last year.

I'm not Redwing, but I'll rank them in my eyes. Chorney, Bina, Lee, Genoway, Finley, Jones, and Radke. I used total points, +/-, and my personal opinion, with my personal opinion holding the most weight in making my decisions. There are certain games when I think certain players played better than others, but I tried to think of the overall season. I'll also mention that I like everyone of our defensemen right now and don't think any of them are lousy, regardless of how I ranked them.

I'm not Redwing, but I'll rank them in my eyes. Chorney, Bina, Lee, Genoway, Finley, Jones, and Radke. I used total points, +/-, and my personal opinion, with my personal opinion holding the most weight in making my decisions. There are certain games when I think certain players played better than others, but I tried to think of the overall season. I'll also mention that I like everyone of our defensemen right now and don't think any of them are lousy, regardless of how I ranked them.

Here is my ranking: Chorney, Bina, Radke, Genoway, Jones, Lee or Finley.

I use skill level and overall hockey sense as my greatest criteria.

I rank them all number one. :D

I don't really like ranking in that fashion because it belittles what those who aren't #1 or #2 bring to the team.

I think Lee is valuable the same as I feel about Chorney, Radke, Finley, or even Marto. Yes, I said Marto not even having seen him play a single game other than in high school.

Each player is a gear in a machine. Sometimes they miss a cog or two but they catch again and keep the machine turning. Throw out a gear and the machine doesn't run as well, or even at all.

So, Lives to play, I don't need to subject any sort of ranking. I like them all. Period. I don't need to have a "worst" anybody on my team. I don't look for reasons to dislike. It makes my life happier.

Keep on hatin', Lives to play. Nothing you say will change my unfaltering support of Hakstol and Co., Lee, Finley, (soon) LaPoint, and Malone.

This has probably already ben posted but i didn't want to do the reading to find it. WIth toews gone what does that do to our forward lines. Who replaces him and how will the rest shift in your opinion.

This has probably already ben posted but i didn't want to do the reading to find it. WIth toews gone what does that do to our forward lines. Who replaces him and how will the rest shift in your opinion.

malone, hextall and trupp replacing toews,fabian and porter

i think this is right

malone, hextall and trupp replacing toews,fabian and porter

i think this is right

I know you are right about Hextall coming in next year, but part of me wishes he waits until 2008.

You did forget the transfer: Shea Hamilton, who will most likely (at least initially) get playing time over one of these mentioned recruits (most likely, unfortunately, Hextall).

I'm betting Blood, Frattin, and Bruneteau come in 2008 along with Cichy, Gleason, and Eidsness.

We have such a logjam at forward it isn't even funny. To make matters better (or worse if you are a defensive recruit) there doesn't appear to be much room for Marto as a regular player this year. It will be better in 2008 because we look to lose a bunch of players to graduation and early departure (Phil, Kaip, Radke, and Bina to graduation and surely Oshie, Lee, Chorney, and maybe Finley to early departures) but next year will be interesting.

I think we have a ton of talent and not enough games to give them all good playing time (at least the freshmen anyways). I expect the biggest "losers" in the equation next year to be Martens, Marto, and maybe Radke.

It will be better in 2008 because we look to lose a bunch of players to graduation and early departure (Phil, Kaip, Radke, and Bina to graduation and surely Oshie, Lee, Chorney, and maybe Finley to early departures) but next year will be interesting.

If Duncan has another big year, he could be an early departure as well.

If Duncan has another big year, he could be an early departure as well.

Call me an optimist, but I think if he is going to leave early, this off season will be it. If he stays, Duncan will be a four year player and more than likely break all sorts of UND records for forwards.... That's the optimist in me speaking. :D

• 4 weeks later...