SiouxSports.com Forum

Rumor on Lee

TheJake

i really have no opinion on lee because he does have a very nice shot, and on the other hand is a little timid for a dman. but im really starting to get annoyed by all these people saying "stop bashing lee". people, its a sport, players will get bashed if they deserve it or not. end of story. let people have their own opinions, respect them, and leave it alone. if anyone on this board has played a sport, you would know not to listen to fans. maybe some of you need to realize that. this subject has been way overblown and needs to be put to rest. its like a battle between 5 year olds on whos fricken trading card is better, your ovechkin or my crosby..let it go.

-end of lecture-

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I noticed about lee is that his helmet always looks like it isn't pushed down all the way. (just joking) Other than that, I think he will be really improved for his junior and senior seasons if he stays. Any time a team can get a player to stay for his junior and senior seasons it is really valuable. Nothing beats experience and being an upper classmen. We at GPL were not happy with chucko at times and he ended up leaving after his 2nd year. I don't know if he was unhappy or calgary just wanted him in the pro game. Lee has been to two frozen fours, and that experience can't be replaced with a freshmen. I would want him to stay if I were you guys.

I too think that Lee will be gone after this year. He can't seem to do anything right when it comes to the fans. If he comes back next year I think he would have to put up 40 points to please all the fans here. I know everyone thinks he should be able to handle all the criticism but he is only 20 years old. That being said, if he leaves it will not be because of any fans. Every high profile athlete has dealt with criticism to a certain level. You can't please everyone, and I think he knows that. If and when he goes it will be because its time for him to move on. I would think he is more upset about a decrease in playing time and being polled from the PP then anything a fan could ever say about him.

I too think that Lee will be gone after this year. He can't seem to do anything right when it comes to the fans. If he comes back next year I think he would have to put up 40 points to please all the fans here.

60 points. :silly:

Ok, I can't take this anymore!!!!!!

The skulking Gopher fan who sits in the east cornor in Judy's bar told me that he knows for a fact (cause all the underage Sioux hockey players hang out there and after beating him up for $hits and giggles last night they told him,), Brian Lee is leaving UND because no one will play video games with him anymore. He always wins and the rest of the team is sick and tired of losing to him. He's going to Canada to play hockey and video games professionally. He's going to do great there. I think they just started promoting Sega in Ottawa.

Question: Which of the Hakstol-coached Sioux teams came closest to winning a national championship?

Answer: The 04-05 team that was stacked with junior and senior defensemen.

Is it a mere coincidence that the team with least amount of offensive firepower made it all the way to the 2005 Frozen Four championship game? I don't think so. Anyone who believes UND would be better off without Lee next season needs to understand that you can't replace maturity and experience at defense. If there's one thing we should have learned from out last two trips to the Frozen Four, that's it.

It's absurd to think that after investing two years to develop a defenseman, you'd cut him loose for some inexperienced, untested, unproven freshman.

Question: Which of the Hakstol-coached Sioux teams came closest to winning a national championship?

Answer: The 04-05 team that was stacked with junior and senior defensemen.

Is it a mere coincidence that the team with least amount of offensive firepower made it all the way to the 2005 Frozen Four championship game? I don't think so. Anyone who believes UND would be better off without Lee next season needs to understand that you can't replace maturity and experience at defense. If there's one thing we should have learned from out last two trips to the Frozen Four, that's it.

It's absurd to think that after investing two years to develop a defenseman, you'd cut him loose for some inexperienced, untested, unproven freshman.

maybe we are wrong and lee is unhappy with his role?? just plaing the other side of the table here..did he go from #1 pp unit to #2?? forget...who knows what will happen

maybe we are wrong and lee is unhappy with his role??

I have no idea. I just think it's absurd that anyone would want Lee to leave, especially given the fact that so many Sioux defenseman have really stepped up their games as juniors and seniors.

I have no idea. I just think it's absurd that anyone would want Lee to leave, especially given the fact that so many Sioux defenseman have really stepped up their games as juniors and seniors.

With all of the blueliners and goaltenders back the only holes to fill are up front next season :silly:

greene and smaby come to mind...who knows, i guess we will know soon i would assume. whatever, we will be a solid team again next year with or without him in my eyes.

I can't deny that I was critical of Lee this season... probably even more so than he deserved... but I don't want to see him gone. As much as I can remember I thought he was good his freshman year. I'm used to my high school team where they played the body before the puck, and I understand that it isn't Lee's style, but I think I'm partial to the defenders looking to crush someone before making a play with the puck.

As this season progress I have noticed that Lee is playing the body more than he has in the past. Offhand, I can't think of any loss that you can blam on Lee.... the Final Five game he was obviously the only defender around... but who would ever think that the shot would go in... certainly not me... and as has been pointed out in previous threads there was little Lee could do about that play without taking a penalty.

For the most part, I think that Lee does very well on the power play. He has had some trouble keeping the puck in the zone, but so has everyone else. I too find myself wishing that he would shoot more from the point because he has an amazing slap shot, but him not shooting isn't bad either, look at all of his assists.

While I hope that Lee stays because of his experience on the blue line, I can understand if he wants to move on to the next level. I think that if he were to stay here he would probably put on a little more weight over the summer and come back and have an outstanding year as a junior.... most of our defenders in the past seem to be doing that. Either way I wish him the best, but I am willing to admit that I would be very happy to see him in a Sioux jersey in the fall.... even if he does let the puck out of the zone one or two times in the season.... having him will undoubtly be more beneficial to the team that not having him...

Robbie Bina comes to mind. Good point PCM.

Sometimes I feel fans don't understand that it takes a few years for some players to develop. Just because you're a first round draft pick doesn't mean you're going to be a Hobey finalist your freshmen or sophmore year. Being a first round draft pick means an NHL team feels you have the ability to EVENTUALLY play at the NHL level, but not necessarily when you're 19 or 20. If you watch Brian play, he has all the talent in the world but just needs to work on a few things in terms of adjusting to the college level or in other words more experience. PCM is right about having experience at defensemen. If Lee and Chorney (who I think will) stay, they could return all of our defensemen and bring in argubly the best freshman defenseman in the country. If you want to talk about winning #8, bringing back all of our defensemen and goalie I feel is more important than bringing Toews and Oshie (although it would be nice) back. As for Brian, I hope he doesn't listen to what a few fans say on a message board in terms of his ability to be a great defenseman. The people to listen to are the coaches, which is why they didn't cut him from the team because they obviously know he has the ability.

to be fair.......here's one. :silly:

brian lee

g a total

5-46-50

travis roche

17-60-77

How about this for a coincidence, James Patrick 17-60-77. Of course, scoring has gone down since either Patrick or Roche were at UND. And these were probably the 2 best offensive defensemen I remember at UND, at least in the past 30 years.

to be fair.......here's one. :lol:

brian lee

g a total

5-46-50

travis roche

17-60-77

a few :silly:

james patrick 77 points

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=4181

ian kidd, 82 points

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2712

jason herter, 82 points

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2256

How about this for a coincidence, James Patrick 17-60-77. Of course, scoring has gone down since either Patrick or Roche were at UND. And these were probably the 2 best offensive defensemen I remember at UND, at least in the past 30 years.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Goalies equipment gettting bigger?

I was watching the 1987 national championship game and its amazing how smaller the goalie equipment was back then.

Anyone see a pattern here?

First Two Seasons

Curtis Murphy: 12 goals, 22 assists

Brad Williamson: 5 goals, 18 assists

Nick Fuher: 10 goals, 19 assists

Robbie Bina: 1 goal, 16 assists

Brian Lee: 6 goals, 47 assists

Junior Season

Curtis Murphy: 12 goals, 30 assists

Brad Williamson: 7 goals, 22 assists

Nick Fuher: 10 goals, 15 assists

Robbie Bina: 10 goals, 22 assists

Senior Season

Curtis Murphy: 8 goals, 34 assists

Brad Williamson: 10 goals, 37 assists

Nick Fuher: 7 goals, 22 assists

As for Travis Roche, let's not forget that he was a 21-year-old freshman who practiced for a year at UND before ever playing a game for the Sioux. For that reason, I don't think that it's fair to compare his first two seasons to Lee's first two seasons.

Before I came on this board a few months back, I never heard anything but good things about Brian. I personally think he's the best Dman the Sioux have behind Chorney. If he leaves, his passing will really be missed.

Howdy, partner. While I might like to agree with y'all, this here thread requires y'all check yer reesonableility at the door. We got our own little world here and don't need nobody tellin' us differnt.

I think Sioux fans have been spoiled by the all the big bruising dman we've had in the past. I don't think ppl are used to the style Lee plays. That being said, I can see why ppl rip him at times. I can remember three or four very very costly turnovers this year, and dumb passes that led to rushes and goals. However, he has also shown flashes of the brilliance and great puck control. I don't know if we would want to lose that considering Chorney might be on the way out (granted I don't know much our incoming Dman recruits, and how well they will be prepared for the WCHA)

Anyone see a pattern here?

First Two Seasons

Curtis Murphy: 12 goals, 22 assists

Brad Williamson: 5 goals, 18 assists

Nick Fuher: 10 goals, 19 assists

Robbie Bina: 1 goal, 16 assists

Brian Lee: 6 goals, 47 assists

Junior Season

Curtis Murphy: 12 goals, 30 assists

Brad Williamson: 7 goals, 22 assists

Nick Fuher: 10 goals, 15 assists

Robbie Bina: 10 goals, 22 assists

Senior Season

Curtis Murphy: 8 goals, 34 assists

Brad Williamson: 10 goals, 37 assists

Nick Fuher: 7 goals, 22 assists

As for Travis Roche, let's not forget that he was a 21-year-old freshman who practiced for a year at UND before ever playing a game for the Sioux. For that reason, I don't think that it's fair to compare his first two seasons to Lee's first two seasons.

First Two Seasons

Andy Schneider 14 goals 41 assists

Junior Season

Andy Schneider 2 goals 10 assists

Senior Season

Andy Schneider 2 goals 8 assists

Just depends on how coaches use players in a role. If Lee returns (And I hope he does), he'll not go backwards offensively.