SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley's Penalty

The Whistler

absolutely....I agree that was a very questionable penalty against Finley. He really should have just let the play go but a lot of people on this forum have been riding him for not being physical so i find it hard to fault him on that one. At that point in the game there was no reason for that check though....it was away from the play.

I agree and Finley had a pretty good second half in my opinion, and he has been pretty physical. Also, I happen to see him at Walmart my first thought was holo *** who the heck is that monster then I saw the 2 on his sweat suit and figured out it was big joe. So he hit a kid that was 5'9" there is a big size difference. I still think he made the right decision to check the guy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Thursday game I went out for a coffee before my long ride home from St. Louis and someone saw my Sioux jersey and yelled, St. Louis supports the Sioux, that elbowing call was a bunch of crap! A few of the penalities were very weak and did have an impact on the game. Porter's second penalty was a check not a charge. Even the Maine fan sitting next to me agreed it was weak.

Whatever the case, Porter and Finley didn't really need to be that agressive on either of those plays. The penalties were the result of not being disciplined. Neither hit by Porter or Finley was necessary at the time and may have cost the Sioux the game. It seems to be a problem with the Sioux at times. Maybe next season they will learn?

The opinion from down here in St Louis from opposing fans is that can't believe how fast and physical the Sioux are. They think the Sioux's aggresiveness/physical play costy them some calls....the rest of the country is not used to seeing that style of play. Congratulayions to MSU....and most everybody was against BC...but most think UND was the most well rounded team!

Whatever the case, Porter and Finley didn't really need to be that agressive on either of those plays. The penalties were the result of not being disciplined. Neither hit by Porter or Finley was necessary at the time and may have cost the Sioux the game. It seems to be a problem with the Sioux at times. Maybe next season they will learn?

But our game is to be aggressive and as long as the contact is within the rules we should do it.

There are only 3 guys on the ice that are being paid. I think we should expect that they do their jobs correctly.

- For the record, Boston College outplayed North Dakota and deserved to win this game. That said, I didn't think much of the officiating job done by Matt Shegos and his CCHA crew, and I'm sure a lot of North Dakota fans didn't think much of it either. However, BC deserved to win this game, and they did win it on their own merits.

CSTV blog- Elliot Oshansky

- For the record, Boston College outplayed North Dakota and deserved to win this game. That said, I didn't think much of the officiating job done by Matt Shegos and his CCHA crew, and I'm sure a lot of North Dakota fans didn't think much of it either. However, BC deserved to win this game, and they did win it on their own merits.

CSTV blog- Elliot Oshansky

While I was at the game I thought that BC seemed like the better team but when I watched the game again it seemed much more evenly matched then I realized. If the Sioux didn't lose their discipline in the final 5 minutes I think there would've been a different outcome. The Finley and Porter penalties killed us and were not necessary. From the replays I still don't know what happened with the first open netter. It was a bit embarassing that we allowed an open net goal like that with a 6 on 4 advantage. Another breakdown of discipline at a key time in the game.

It is too bad. We had such an awesome team this year. They were such a fun team to cheer for once they figured things out the second half. Something about the second half made it one of the more exciting Sioux teams to watch.

After the Cubs season last year and the Bears letdown in the Super Bowl I am getting too conditioned for defeat! :lol: Hopefully we will get a nice surprise this time next year in Denver!!!!!!!

While I was at the game I thought that BC seemed like the better team but when I watched the game again it seemed much more evenly matched then I realized.If the Sioux didn't lose their discipline in the final 5 minutes I think there would've been a different outcome. The Finley and Porter penalties killed us and were not necessary. From the replays I still don't know what happened with the first open netter. It was a bit embarassing that we allowed an open net goal like that with a 6 on 4 advantage. Another breakdown of discipline at a key time in the game.

I agree totally with you I too was at the game and thought the boys didn't have a very good game however after getting home and watching it again it was closer than it appeared while watching it live .......... and as for Shegos THAT WAS ONE OF THE WORST CALLS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE AND TOTALLY HAD A HAND IN THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. Also not getting back on the 6 on 4 short handed goal was a killer :D

Some of the BC players should have had skirts on the way they fell to the ice while drawing 2 or 3 of those penalties :lol:

I've had a few days to think about the Sioux loss last Thursday. I watched the game again on Saturday. I've obviously watched the Finley penalty on this thread. We had some people over at our house on Thursday night, after TJ's shorthanded goal to tie it at 3 we were all high fivin and momentum seemed to be on our side. We still will be shorthanded for a little bit, but when they call the elbowing(horrible call) on Finley it just shifted the game back to Boston College. Now it's a 5 on 3 and Boston College takes advantage of the sitution they were given by the officials...I know they scored on a 5 on 4, but Porter is just getting out of the penaly box and didn't have a chance to get back on the play. I really don't like to blame refs for a game, but this was without question a horrible call.

The call against Finley was questionable indeed.

However, some the blame should go to Finley for being out of position when the hit was made. You can see it for yourself on the You Tube clip. We are on the PK and a BC forward gains the zone on the far side, being checked by a Sioux forward. The play continues to the corner with the Sioux forward still engaged with the BC player (remember we are killing a penalty at this time). Instead of holding his ground, Finley decides to join the play, which itself is a risky play at that point - creating essentially a 4 x 2 out numbered situation in our own zone.

Again, I did not like the call but Finley made multiple mistakes on this play, his penalty being just one of them.

I have kept my mouth shut and stewed over this game for a while. People need to get it through there heads that the refs did not cost the Sioux the win but they themselves did. They were outplayed on every aspect of the game. The only reason it wasn't a blow out was due to the fact that Lammy was outstanding. It was appalling to see a BC skater beat two defenders to a puck and tap in a open netter. He had time to stop and take a step back before he scored it. This shouldn't happen in D1 especially with the talent thats back there. Bottom line is they quit. Maybe its Haskal's fault. How many big games has he won since taking over? As a long time season ticket holder I know I won't be going to as many games next year and am considering not renewing next year.

Sorry to vent but many of you fans sound like Greenbay Packer fans. Its always somebody else's fault.

The call against Finley was questionable indeed.

However, some the blame should go to Finley for being out of position when the hit was made. You can see it for yourself on the You Tube clip. We are on the PK and a BC forward gains the zone on the far side, being checked by a Sioux forward. The play continues to the corner with the Sioux forward still engaged with the BC player (remember we are killing a penalty at this time). Instead of holding his ground, Finley decides to join the play, which itself is a risky play at that point - creating essentially a 4 x 2 out numbered situation in our own zone.

Again, I did not like the call but Finley made multiple mistakes on this play, his penalty being just one of them.

I agree that Kaip had his man and Finley should have backed off...but Finley did put a good check on the BC player, it's hard to fault him for that. I think Joe's biggest problem on that play is that he is too big and the BC player is too small. There is 4 minutes to play in a tie game to go to the National Championship game...you don't call a penalty on that play.

Hakstol was on the radio this morning. He said it became obvious as the game progressed that a penalty would be called on almost every big hit. While he disagreed with the call on Finley, the team had discussed the officiating between periods and the players knew they had to be careful heading into the third period. It was the worst time of year to learn an important lesson.

Hakstol was on the radio this morning. He said it became obvious as the game progressed that a penalty would be called on almost every big hit. While he disagreed with the call on Finley, the team had discussed the officiating between periods and the players knew they had to be careful heading into the third period. It was the worst time of year to learn an important lesson.

This is exactly the reason why the way they call the games in the WCHA all season long can hurt us in post season play. Some of the "rough-stuff" that we all see every weekend, is not tolerated in these other leagues. mr. mcleod, get your s&!t together or get someone in there that can run things the way the need to be run.

PCM, was there anything else of note with Hak on the radio? the championship game had 5 or more hits that would've been called a penalty if Shegoes (down) was the head ref.

While I was at the game I thought that BC seemed like the better team but when I watched the game again it seemed much more evenly matched then I realized. If the Sioux didn't lose their discipline in the final 5 minutes I think there would've been a different outcome. The Finley and Porter penalties killed us and were not necessary. From the replays I still don't know what happened with the first open netter. It was a bit embarassing that we allowed an open net goal like that with a 6 on 4 advantage. Another breakdown of discipline at a key time in the game.

It is too bad. We had such an awesome team this year. They were such a fun team to cheer for once they figured things out the second half. Something about the second half made it one of the more exciting Sioux teams to watch.

After the Cubs season last year and the Bears letdown in the Super Bowl I am getting too conditioned for defeat! :silly: Hopefully we will get a nice surprise this time next year in Denver!!!!!!!

As a Cubs fan, you are just now becoming conditioned to defeat? Where've you been the last 100 years? :lol:

I agree with LB#11. Hard to fault Finley on the play and it did appear as though he never really made contact with his elbow to the BC player's head. It was the too tall guy hitting the too short guy penalty. That being said, this is hardly the first time this season that this type of thing happened to Finley.

What I find amusing (and already pointed out) was the fact that some are talkming about how unnecessary the hit was and putting some blame on Finley when earlier in the year there was such campaigning for Finley to either play physically or sign with the Capitols. What do you want? What did Finley see coming into the hit? Did he see the guy he was to check getting the puck and breaking it out?

I don't know if Finley made a mistake. I don't know if he should get all or some of the blame. I do know it was a shakey call. And I do know that he's been in that position before. But I also recognize the fact that he was doing what he thought was best and playing in a fashion that most fans screamed at him to play.

People need to get it through there heads that the refs did not cost the Sioux the win but they themselves did.

I agree with this statement. Bad penalties. Blown defensive coverages. Lost faceoffs. Yes, the Sioux made plenty of mistakes that cost them the game.

Bottom line is they quit.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this statement. The team could have quit when they were down 5-3, but they didn't.

Maybe its Haskal's fault.

Who is "Haskal"? :silly: As head coach, Dave Hakstol has always taken responsibility for his role in developing and preparing the team. However, he's not the one on the ice playing defense and taking penalties.

How many big games has he won since taking over?

If you don't know the answer to this question, then I question how much of a Sioux fan you really are. You don't get to the Frozen Four three years in a row without winning big games.

PCM, was there anything else of note with Hak on the radio? the championship game had 5 or more hits that would've been called a penalty if Shegoes (down) was the head ref.

Hakstol talked about the possibility of some players going pro, but didn't say anything specific (which is to be expected). He said they will visit with the players individually and as a group. He felt that some players have some big steps to take in their development before turning pro.

PCM, nice responses.

Remember, though, there is always one. On Schlossman's blog, even after we were winning, there was still some Yahoo screaming for Hakstol to be fired.

They have troubl,e distinguishing between hype and reality. THey see their team doing great and start believing the hype and then internalizing it as the team being unbeatable. Then, when a team that very well could (and did) beat the Sioux actually does it, they find someone to blame for their own naivete. Hackstol (or Haskal) fit the bill for Underdog in this case. Others who have filled this role: Phil Lamoureaux, Brian Lee, Joe Finley, and many others is years past.

Bottom line is they quit. Maybe its Haskal's fault. How many big games has he won since taking over? As a long time season ticket holder I know I won't be going to as many games next year and am considering not renewing next year.

The best thing you said is that you're considering giving up your season tickets....I'll be the first one to tell you not to let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

I take it personally that you said the boys quit.....I was there, they did not quit.

The loss was disappointing, yes, but to give up on the team because they lost is total crap, you should be ashamed to call yourself a Sioux fan. The bandwagon has stopped, get off and stay off.

As a Cubs fan, you are just now becoming conditioned to defeat? Where've you been the last 100 years? :sad:

I only moved to the Chicago area in 97 so I have only had about 10 years of Cubs and Bears defeat conditioning. I wasn't really much of a fan of Chicago area teams until I moved to the area. Maybe when Toews signs with the Hawks I may have to check out some games but they have been a lost cause the entire time I have been here plus, pro hockey just doesn't compare to college. I did grow up in GF and was pretty well conditioned by the Vikings losing all the time but I guess I have forgot about all the pain they caused when I started to like teams in the Chicago area that are continuing the pain! :silly:

I don't think the we quit except for the rebound on #2 and the first open net goal. I still don't know what happened on that open netter since I was at the game and was paying attention to the puck and the BC player tapping it in. The video replays didn't show much of what happened either. I guess we thought it was going to be icing or go in the net as others have said. Whatever the case, the BC player did not quit on the play but our guys did for whatever reason. Who knows what would've happened if that puck would've been kept out?

I hope on the off-season, Lammy works on his flopping. He played a great game but I think he may have been able to be even better if he wouldn't have went for such a big save on Goal #2 and #3. Goal #2 was more the result of Lee standing there watching the rebound and the BC player take the puck and shoot it in the net but, in my opinion as a goalie, Lammy didn't really need to make such a dramatic save on that play to start. Same goes with #3 but not nearly as much. He got a piece of that. He needed a Lerg vs. Boyle save on that play. I can't imagine what that would've done to the momentum if he would've made a huge glove save on #3. The Play of the Day save was fun to watch but I couldn't believe how early he had committed himself on that play. He was down the minute the player had it on his stick. I liked the Hasek acrobatics to make the save but that was nearly another example of how his floppiness can be dangerous.

Man, I need to go and have a beer or something and get over this game! Me still sad the Sioux lost! :lol: