SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley's Penalty

The Whistler

I uploaded Finley's "elbowing" penalty to youtube.

I don't think this is something that's been called in a regular season season game let alone in a tied national semi final game with four minutes left.

Of course we very well may have lost to BC without this penalty, but it would have been easier to take if the players settled it, not the officials.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I uploaded Finley's "elbowing" penalty to youtube.

I don't think this is something that's been called in a regular season season game let alone in a tied national semi final game with four minutes left.

Of course we very well may have lost to BC without this penalty, but it would have been easier to take if the players settled it, not the officials.

I don't think anyone will argue with you about that call. It was a really crap call and coming at the time it did was very unfortunate. As you said, BC may have still won, but this penalty came right after Oshie's shorty, and momentum could have switched after the Sioux killed off the remaining 26 seconds of the penalty. It's one of those things we'll never know.

I don't think anyone will argue with you about that call. It was a really crap call and coming at the time it did was very unfortunate. As you said, BC may have still won, but this penalty came right after Oshie's shorty, and momentum could have switched after the Sioux killed off the remaining 26 seconds of the penalty. It's one of those things we'll never know.

There were only 3 seconds left of that penalty when play stopped for Finley's. Oshie scored with 30 some seconds left.

There were only 3 seconds left of that penalty when play stopped for Finley's. Oshie scored with 30 some seconds left.

I was thinking there was only 26 seconds left after Oshie's goal, which may have just been what I noticed when I looked at it on the screen. With the Finley penalty, the goal was scored 5 on 4, but it was basically a 5 on 3, as the penalty had just expired to make it 5 on 4, and the Sioux player was no where in the play. The first penalty was just about killed, which could have added to the momentum for the Sioux after Oshie's goal, but the ref felt he'd better give BC another crack since there first PP ended up in a shorty for us. :lol:

I was thinking there was only 26 seconds left after Oshie's goal, which may have just been what I noticed when I looked at it on the screen. With the Finley penalty, the goal was scored 5 on 4, but it was basically a 5 on 3, as the penalty had just expired to make it 5 on 4, and the Sioux player was no where in the play. The first penalty was just about killed, which could have added to the momentum for the Sioux after Oshie's goal, but the ref felt he'd better give BC another crack since there first PP ended up in a shorty for us. :lol:

At that point the score was tied so anything could have happened.

At that point the score was tied so anything could have happened.

I understand that and that's what I've been saying. Scoring a shorty can give a team momentum, which could have been the result for the Sioux after killing the original 5 on 4. It could have been a completely different game for the final few minutes. Not saying BC wouldn't have won, but the Finley crap call certainly didn't help us or hurt them.

I understand that and that's what I've been saying. Scoring a shorty can give a team momentum, which could have been the result for the Sioux after killing the original 5 on 4. It could have been a completely different game for the final few minutes. Not saying BC wouldn't have won, but the Finley crap call certainly didn't help us or hurt them.

I think there have been a few of us that thought that was a bushleague call. I am not making an excuse for the Sioux losing the game but that was a big blown call. I remember it happened to Matt Greene a lot too as well as commie.

What really hurt the Sioux was losing the faceoff in BC's zone right after the Finley penalty was called. Although the time on Porter's penalty expired and he was rushing to get back into play, it was essentially a 5-on-3 power play goal. Had the Sioux won that faceoff, at least they would have had time to set up their 5-on-4 penalty kill.

What really hurt the Sioux was losing the faceoff in BC's zone right after the Finley penalty was called. Although the time on Porter's penalty expired and he was rushing to get back into play, it was essentially a 5-on-3 power play goal. Had the Sioux won that faceoff, at least they would have had time to set up their 5-on-4 penalty kill.

exactly. And what sucks about finley being so tall is that it can get him into trouble, as it did during this situation. Even the announcers agreed. Im over it. Its officially spring! minus the weather :lol:

Watching the national title game, I've seen a few hits that would have been penalties last night with the CCHA officials. Everybody's favorite D. Shepherd is the ref tonight. Michigan State and their physical style of play benefits from the WCHA officials.

Watching the national title game, I've seen a few hits that would have been penalties last night with the CCHA officials. Everybody's favorite D. Shepherd is the ref tonight. Michigan State and their physical style of play benefits from the WCHA officials.

That made me giggle when I say who the official was. This game is not as up tempo as the Semi final game.

exactly. And what sucks about finley being so tall is that it can get him into trouble, as it did during this situation. Even the announcers agreed. Im over it. Its officially spring! minus the weather :lol:

I am waiting for it to get above zero. Funny how they were complaining about it being 50 degrees at the Masters.

Yikes that's short weather for me.

Michigan State and their physical style of play benefits from the WCHA officials.

I was thinking the same thing. Some of the hits tonight probably would have been called penalties on Thursday night. :lol:

I agree, but the fact is that face offs were decided by the players. In this case the BC player had greater skill and really helped his team out.

That's what's supposed to decide a game isn't it, the players, not a bum call by the referee?

That's what's supposed to decide a game isn't it, the players, not a bum call by the referee?

I don't disagree with you about the bogus call on Finley. I'm just saying that if the Sioux had won that faceoff, their chance to successfully kill the penalty would have been a lot better.

I don't disagree with you about the bogus call on Finley. I'm just saying that if the Sioux had won that faceoff, their chance to successfully kill the penalty would have been a lot better.

We got killed on faceoffs in this game.....and that ultimately led to our demise...It was the exact opposite of the Gopher game in the west regional. When you are chasing the puck you are going to fatigue.

We got killed on faceoffs in this game.....and that ultimately led to our demise...It was the exact opposite of the Gopher game in the west regional. When you are chasing the puck you are going to fatigue.

Agreed. IMO and a lot probably agree we were lucky to be tied that late in the game.

Agreed. IMO and a lot probably agree we were lucky to be tied that late in the game.

We were outplayed....that is the reality of it. MSU right now is employing a trapping defensive system...but that is not how the Sioux play. That is keeping them in the game

We were outplayed....that is the reality of it. MSU right now is employing a trapping defensive system...but that is not how the Sioux play. That is keeping them in the game

Yes we were outplayed, but the score was tied until this bad penalty changed the game.

Yes we were outplayed, but the score was tied until this bad penalty changed the game.

absolutely....I agree that was a very questionable penalty against Finley. He really should have just let the play go but a lot of people on this forum have been riding him for not being physical so i find it hard to fault him on that one. At that point in the game there was no reason for that check though....it was away from the play.

absolutely....I agree that was a very questionable penalty against Finley. He really should have just let the play go but a lot of people on this forum have been riding him for not being physical so i find it hard to fault him on that one. At that point in the game there was no reason for that check though....it was away from the play.

I have to agree with everything you said, but the fact is that the play developed without a scoring chance to BC. So how do you fault the guy. I don't know that you ask the guys to stop being physical when you're in a tied game. You do tell them to keep your sticks and elbows down, which he did.

I have to agree with everything you said, but the fact is that the play developed without a scoring chance to BC. So how do you fault the guy. I don't know that you ask the guys to stop being physical when you're in a tied game. You do tell them to keep your sticks and elbows down, which he did.

The Sioux need to play a physical game to win. If calls like that are going to be made, their chances of winning are slim and none.