SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley's Penalty

The Whistler

The hell with that we are going to throw him off the band wagon. I am betting this person isn't a Sioux fan.

With what Underdog said, I'd agree with Goon on this one...a true Sioux fan knows this team gave it all. To make those types of comments on Hakstol is absurd.

I made some comments earlier today on this thread about the officiating...I know Hakstol can't, but I will. These kids work their ass off all season long...it just frustrates me when a kid makes a good check and gets called for it at such a critical time...this is hockey, it's a physical sport.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hell with that we are going to throw him off the band wagon. I am betting this person isn't a Sioux fan.

Pick up as much speed as the bandwagon can go before you throw him off :lol: !

I wouldn't think any real Sioux fan would pop off quite like that :silly:

I don't think the we quit except for the rebound on #2 and the first open net goal.

I'm not so sure anyone quit on that particular play. If you watch Hakstol's post-game comments, you'll see that he was quite adamant about that not being the case when some in the media implied that it was. When I watch the replay, it appears that there might have been some confusion on the bench about who was supposed to be on the ice. I'd be interested in hearing a more detailed explanation from Hakstol about what actually happened.

I spent some time talking with Jeff Sauer during the championship game on Saturday. The first thing he said was that it was too bad that these teams can't play with the referees they play with all season. He said that he used to spend way more time than he wanted simply preparing his team for how the non-WCHA ref would call the game. Unfortunately the team that adjusts first seems to win. I then asked what about Finley's penalty to put BC up 5 on 3. His indignant response was that was not a penalty!

I don't want to focus only on the officiating. BC addjusted quickly. They were able to see that Shegos was going to call the big hits and was not going to call the clutching and grabbing. Toews was constantly held and sticked with no calls. If he was playing in the NHL he probably draws at least 5 penatties.

The reality of this game was that we had some luck in the second period when BC hit pipes and we still came out tied 2-2. When we went down 3-2 the crowd in St. Louis was quiet. Oshie makes a great play to tie the game and get everyone back into it and then we get a penalty by Finley that was bogus that turns into the true game winning score. Immediatley after they scored I told my wife that Shegos was not done and he would call some against BC since he had let them score the game winner five on three. Of course he did to turn a great game into a wild scramble at the end.

Finley's penalty should never been called :silly:

I'm not so sure anyone quit on that particular play. If you watch Hakstol's post-game comments, you'll see that he was quite adamant about that not being the case when some in the media implied that it was. When I watch the replay, it appears that there might have been some confusion on the bench about who was supposed to be on the ice. I'd be interested in hearing a more detailed explanation from Hakstol about what actually happened.

The second goal happend quick after Lammy let out the rebound but as Melrose said, Lee and Chorney(?), played the puck and not the man and that resulted in the goal. Even though it happened quickly, there was no reason that Bertram? from BC was able to put that rebound in the net with two Sioux D standing right there. Lammy was so close to covering that puck up too. He was a split second late on getting his glove over it. If the defense were doing their job though he shouldn't have had to take care of the save and rebound on that one.

All of this doesn't really matter because if the Sioux would've been on their game 100% we would've been in a better position to win this game without all of these little things mattering much. We were just outplayed on that one day. It would've been fun to see what the results of a best of 3 between these teams would've been. It is too bad that only the first round of the playoffs is best of 3. It sure would be fun if every round was best of 3 or 5 or something like that. I think that would result in an undisputable champ in the end. The first game would allow the teams to adjust to refs from a different league and get down to busiiness by game 2. MSU deserved to win and be crowned champs but it sure would make things interesting if the NCAA changed the format to be more like the NHL playoffs.

The second goal happend quick after Lammy let out the rebound but as Melrose said, Lee and Chorney(?), played the puck and not the man and that resulted in the goal.

I wouldn't class that as quitting.

The bottom line is that we were tied up with 4 minutes left when the referee made a bad call that cost us the game. Now we very well could have lost the game fair and square in overtime, but that's the only qualification.

BC is a great team from a great program. We were lucky (and skillful) to kill off as many penalties that we did actually take. But you can't have a bad call happen at that stage of a national championship game.