SiouxSports.com Forum

Explain your take on the game here...don't complain just explain

01grad

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have liked to see the outcome of a 2 out of 3 game series between these two teams.

Your not the only team wishing they could get a best of three. :lol:

------------

I re-watched the Rooney play several times to try to figure out what happened.

It looks like Lee comes on for Bina as Chorney is carrying the puck up ice. Chorney rings the boards and the four forwards head in deep. Lee goes hard to get all the way across ice to cover the right point. Chorney goes hard to pinch at the left point. Rooney is basically covering the area where Chorney is skating hard to get to. The goalie makes a great play (somewhat high risk) picking the puck off the boards around three feet in the air. He then makes another smooth play to get the puck off the boards and to the side of the net allowing Boyle to have a clear shooting lane and space to work with. Boyle sends it down. Rooney reads it and breaks away from Chorney whose momentum was taking him the wrong way and obviously beats Lee back for the same reason.

It really was a great three way play by Schnieder, Boyle and Rooney. I have no idea why they didn't give assists to Boyle and Schnieder.

Boy, there's a surprise. You complaining about the referees...........

Dean thanks for the cheap childish petty swipe :lol: . Go back and watch the tape the Finley hit was a legit hit and should not have been a penalty. I was making a legitimate comment. :D

Edited by Goon

Your not the only team wishing they could get a best of three. :lol:

------------

I re-watched the Rooney play several times to try to figure out what happened.

It looks like Lee comes on for Bina as Chorney is carrying the puck up ice. Chorney rings the boards and the four forwards head in deep. Lee goes hard to get all the way across ice to cover the right point. Chorney goes hard to pinch at the left point. Rooney is basically covering the area where Chorney is skating hard to get to. The goalie makes a great play (somewhat high risk) picking the puck off the boards around three feet in the air. He then makes another smooth play to get the puck off the boards and to the side of the net allowing Boyle to have a clear shooting lane and space to work with. Boyle sends it down. Rooney reads it and breaks away from Chorney whose momentum was taking him the wrong way and obviously beats Lee back for the same reason.

It really was a great three way play by Schnieder, Boyle and Rooney. I have no idea why they didn't give assists to Boyle and Schnieder.

That's pretty much exactly as I saw it. Keep in mind BC was short-handed so they had no fear of icing the puck. That was a huge factor that increased the odds of that play working for them. In that respect, the players on the ice for UND should have been a bit more aware of the situation and had at least one guy going back hard as soon as that play started to develop. BC could have scored it from 190 feet - someone for UND should have been hustling back to simply play goalie.

That's pretty much exactly as I saw it. Keep in mind BC was short-handed so they had no fear of icing the puck. That was a huge factor that increased the odds of that play working for them. In that respect, the players on the ice for UND should have been a bit more aware of the situation and had at least one guy going back hard as soon as that play started to develop. BC could have scored it from 190 feet - someone for UND should have been hustling back to simply play goalie.

Your talking about the play where Lee got beat Right? I don't know if I have ever seen that happen In all the hockey I have watched.

In my opinion I thought the officiating was a little one-sided. The physical abuse of Duncan and Toews was horrendous, without any penalties being called. Duncan got absolutely leveled from behind without the puck. There were several instances where BC took advantage of the ref looking the other way, and the AR not stepping up to do the right thing. Boyle wrapped his arms around Toews several times in front of the net, and once pulled his stick out of his hands and threw it to the side. Another time he flat out elbowed Toews in the head. I was a little bothered by some of the BC crap that wasn't called, but since the game I have talked with fans from other schools and they were much more upset at the officiating than I was. That includes MN fans, Denver fans, Michigan State fans, and others. They unanimously thought UND got the shaft on the last two Porter penalties, the Finley elbowing call, and the non-calls on BC.

The speed of BC caused problems. There were several times where the puck did not get put deep into the BC zone for a line change, and the Sioux had to scramble to get back into the play. Then on the penalty kill, especially in the second period, the Sioux could not get a line change in and wound up with a very tired group on the ice.

This loss did not bother me as much as the loss last year did. This team led us on a wonderful ride since Christmas, and now we can only hope that they hang around to let us enjoy it again next year.

Thanks much guys.

Your talking about the play where Lee got beat Right? I don't know if I have ever seen that happen In all the hockey I have watched.

I'm talking about the first of BC's two ENGs. Rooney came from the far wall where Chorney was pinching as the puck was wrung around the boards (stupidly in my mind). Anyway, Lee was covering the other side (middle) of the ice. I wouldn't say he got beat so much as maybe "out-smarted." There's no way Lee's going to win a footrace with Rooney, but with a 6-4 man advantage Lee maybe should have been more aware of the situation. There was no threat of icing & a clean pick off the boards by the goalie meant an easy clear up the middle for the D. It was more of a mental breakdown than anything. Lee maybe should have been retreating a little sooner.

I'm talking about the first of BC's two ENGs. Rooney came from the far wall where Chorney was pinching as the puck was wrung around the boards (stupidly in my mind). Anyway, Lee was covering the other side (middle) of the ice. I wouldn't say he got beat so much as maybe "out-smarted." There's no way Lee's going to win a footrace with Rooney, but with a 6-4 man advantage Lee maybe should have been more aware of the situation. There was no threat of icing & a clean pick off the boards by the goalie meant an easy clear up the middle for the D. It was more of a mental breakdown than anything. Lee maybe should have been retreating a little sooner.

I have never in all of my hockey watching days seen a play like that one before.

I'm talking about the first of BC's two ENGs. Rooney came from the far wall where Chorney was pinching as the puck was wrung around the boards (stupidly in my mind).

Chorney was at the back end of a long shift when he wrung the puck around the boards. Hindsight says dumping it softly into a corner or trying to carry into the zone would have been a better play, but it's hard to say. Rooney read what followed better than Lee or Chorney and got what was basically the clincher.

Lamoureux losing his balance on the 4th goal hurt too. It looked like the Vanelli no goal in the regional, but there wasn't anyone near him. He did play great all game and certainly gave the Sioux a great chance to win.

BC outplayed us, we took penalties at very bad times. we were hanging in the game because of 1 player and thats PHIL, great work phil. hoe this 2nd half is ust a sign for the whole season next year!! the team didnt quit, just simply came up short, no excuses. just got beat. BC should work msu tonight but i guess you never know.

it will be very very soon before toews leaves, obviously not big news but it was nice to hear toews went back with the team which was a nice move to be with the team when the hawks wanted him right after the game...

great time as always, flew back a day early, met many of you from here and many other fans from all schools. pretty cool event to go to and we have been damn lucky as sioux fans to have the chance to see our team play 3 years in a row. my 5th f-4 in 8 years so not a bad hockey team we have :lol: ..... yeah it stung all thursday night BAD...and friday but seeing duncs get that hobey in person was tons of fun. saw duncs a few times that day, took some photos, and said sorry for losing everytime i talked to him.....fun time and cant wait til the next one!!

FIGHT ON SIOUXXXXXXXXXX

BC outplayed us, we took penalties at very bad times. we were hanging in the game because of 1 player and thats PHIL, great work phil. hoe this 2nd half is ust a sign for the whole season next year!! the team didnt quit, just simply came up short, no excuses. just got beat. BC should work msu tonight but i guess you never know.

it will be very very soon before toews leaves, obviously not big news but it was nice to hear toews went back with the team which was a nice move to be with the team when the hawks wanted him right after the game...

great time as always, flew back a day early, met many of you from here and many other fans from all schools. pretty cool event to go to and we have been damn lucky as sioux fans to have the chance to see our team play 3 years in a row. my 5th f-4 in 8 years so not a bad hockey team we have :D ..... yeah it stung all thursday night BAD...and friday but seeing duncs get that hobey in person was tons of fun. saw duncs a few times that day, took some photos, and said sorry for losing everytime i talked to him.....fun time and cant wait til the next one!!

FIGHT ON SIOUXXXXXXXXXX

Yep I agree too many mistakes defensively and in the transition game. Untimely penalties. That being said (Redwing_77 is going to kill me) I think Sheppard out performed Shegos in the game that he reffed. I will leave it at that too. :lol:

i would like to see the top ten play that lammy had on sportscenter if anyone has it

I thought I read somewhere here that someone was going to put it on the YouTube soon. There is nothing up yet.

First time I have been able to log on since the game, been to busy drowning my sorrows at the hotel. I think that they Sioux played a great first 15 minutes of the game. After that it is like they lost their legs. I really think that if we would have played they way this team is capable of we would have been playing tonight. I had a chance to meet some of the BC players at my hotel. Very nice guys and incredibly complimentary of the Sioux.

I never have a problem with losing when a team gives 100%, but I do not think that we gave it our all. Just my thoughts.

Yep I agree too many mistakes defensively and in the transition game. Untimely penalties. That being said (Redwing_77 is going to kill me) I think Sheppard out performed Shegos in the game that he reffed. I will leave it at that too. :lol:

Do you need a towel, Eric?

I have never in all of my hockey watching days seen a play like that one before.

I hear ya. When I saw Rooney get to the puck first the first thing that came to my mind was "WTF?!?" :lol: Great hustle play by BC and somewhat a micrososm of the whole game.