SiouxSports.com Forum

Hardcore Fans ?

Fetch

Do you think UND Graduates that were here 4 - 5 or 6 yrs are more Hardcore Fans, than say people who did not graduate from UND and have attended games for less than 10 yrs ?- more than 10 yrs ? or - 20 - 30 or 40 or more yrs ?

I wonder what % of season ticket holders are UND Grads ?

How much does income have to do with those that travel ?

Not necessarily... Many people have lived in GF for their entire lives. We bring kids up to be Sioux fans, regardless of whether or not they ultimately go to college at UND. The community involvement behind the athletics in GF is pretty amazing, compared to other places...

As for travel...those who can typically do. But this is a pretty big financial investment...not usually possible for those in college or just out of college... And I don't think that travelling separates the hardcore from the "non-hardcore" fans. Many people who don't have the means to travel (or even attend games live) do everything in their power to at least see or listen to the games to cheer on the Sioux from home.

Do you think UND Graduates that were here 4 - 5 or 6 yrs are more Hardcore Fans, than say people who did not graduate from UND and have attended games for less than 10 yrs ?- more than 10 yrs ? or - 20 - 30 or 40 or more yrs ?

And just how exactly do you measure if someone is a "Hardcore Fan"?

Go to just about every home game - or always listen on the radio or watch on TV - Travel to away games - Live Breathe think Sioux Hockey (Come here several times a day) Etc. :D Follow what has happened - going to happen - Don't have much for lives beyond Jobs - Family & Hockey ???

The last paragraph sums up a Hardcore Sioux fan:

It's 40 years from now, and most of the coaches we know and love have passed on to their Better Reward.... Red Berenson, Dave Hakstol, George Gwozdecky, Jerry York, Mike Eaves, etc.

Today, Don Lucia arrives in Heaven. God takes Don on a little tour of the place. They jump in a beautiful gold Cadillac, with God at the wheel, and cruise through a neighborhood of attractive homes bordering a golf course.

"There's Red Berenson's house," says God, as he points to a beautiful 10-room home painted maize and blue, with Michigan flags fluttering in a row down the long, luxurious drive. "Wow, that's nice," says Don. "And look over there: that's Mike Eave's place." God nods towards a beautiful red and white 10-room home with a gorgeous lawn and Wisconsin flags festooning a long beautiful drive. "Very tasteful," says Don.

One by one, God points out similar homes belonging to coaches, all in beautiful settings. They finally arrive at Don's house, which is also a beautiful 10-room house, maroon with gold trim, with Gopher flags lining the drive, just as beautiful as the rest. "Gee, it's gorgeous," Don says.

They get out of the car, walk up the steps, and Don oohs and ahs over the house. But as he stands on the steps admiring the lawn, for the first time he notices the mansion across the street. It's huge and luxurious--at least 50 rooms, and is painted in the most beautiful Green and White color Don has ever seen, the lawn is so beautifully landscaped it nearly takes his breath away. But what really catches his eye is the larger-than-life-size bronze Sioux statue on a 6-foot tall granite pedestal, and a huge line of UND flags lining the longest drive that they've seen all day, and it's paved with pure gold bricks.

"Hey, God?" Don asks tentatively. "I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but why do Red, Mike and I get 10-room houses, but Dave Hakstol gets such a huge gorgeous mansion?"

"Don," says God, "that's not Dave's house: that's MY house."

I wonder what % of season ticket holders are UND Grads ?

How much does income have to do with those that travel ?

I think a UND graduate is likely to be a casual Sioux fan. Those former students who were regular attendees of Sioux hockey are almost always lifelong "diehard" Sioux hockey fans. I was there for the Old Barn for two years and then the Old Engelstad for three years. I went to almost every home game. I left in 1976, and followed as best I could from where I was until the New Engelstad opened and allowed me to get season tickets, which I've had ever since.

I also think GF residents are diehard Sioux fans, regardless of school affiliation, and GF is a hockey town. I would guess more than 80% of season ticket holders are either Alumni or GF residents (or former GF residents).

It has become a family reunion most every home weekend for us. We meet in GF and go to the games, out to our special places for food and beverage. I don't see that stopping anytime soon. My wife and I travel 340 miles one way to go to Sioux hockey. There are fans who travel farther, too.

Those former "diehard" students who no longer live near GF are still huge fans. You can follow this board and read of get togethers all over the country for Sioux hockey. It is a tradition that does not leave you just because you may leave UND!

I don't think income has a huge impact on home attendance. It probably comes more into play when the team travels, especially in the post-season, due to short notice of times and places.

For me one of the only things that got in the way of Sioux Hockey was Hunting & I was Hardcore when it came to Ducks & Geese & Deer. But the past few yrs, I have even actually went to a couple Sioux Football games :sad: & have hunted less each yr - I have got the bug for Pheasants in recent yrs - But always got to a bar showing the Sioux Hockey games in the evening - I can see myself having Sioux Football season tickets someday too - I used to want a duck Tattoo now a Sioux Logo head would be cooler - But I doubt I will ever get that drunk again :D???

I think a UND graduate is likely to be a casual Sioux fan. Those former students who were regular attendees of Sioux hockey are almost always lifelong "diehard" Sioux hockey fans. I was there for the Old Barn for two years and then the Old Engelstad for three years. I went to almost every home game. I left in 1976, and followed as best I could from where I was until the New Engelstad opened and allowed me to get season tickets, which I've had ever since.

I also think GF residents are diehard Sioux fans, regardless of school affiliation, and GF is a hockey town. I would guess more than 80% of season ticket holders are either Alumni or GF residents (or former GF residents).

It has become a family reunion most every home weekend for us. We meet in GF and go to the games, out to our special places for food and beverage. I don't see that stopping anytime soon. My wife and I travel 340 miles one way to go to Sioux hockey. There are fans who travel farther, too.

Those former "diehard" students who no longer live near GF are still huge fans. You can follow this board and read of get togethers all over the country for Sioux hockey. It is a tradition that does not leave you just because you may leave UND!

I don't think income has a huge impact on home attendance. It probably comes more into play when the team travels, especially in the post-season, due to short notice of times and places.

I concur that "diehard students" comments... Spouse and I graduated from UND. We attended all Sioux games while in college and when job opportunities took us away from hockey country, it was really hard (before internet days). Moved back to twin cities area and were happy to be able to follow Sioux hockey again... Then when new Englestad Arena was built, we were able to get season hockey tickets... Have had them ever since. We drive over 300 miles for all home games. Two of our three kids graduated from UND and are Sioux fans... Don't know what we did to the other one when he was little, but graduated from U of M. It was tough to sign those checks... But fortunately for us, not a big hockey fan... Otherwise, might have to update the will...

Lots of Sioux fans in the cities... Don't know if it's GF people moved away, or UND grads... Just nice to know that we are not alone down here.... We will be Sioux for ever...

Sioux Tattoo's would give you bonus points :D

sweet :D

really never lived in grand forks. just for 6 months isn 86/87 but thats when it all started. bemidji and az my whole life....thank god for my grandpa or i may be wearing other colors :silly: you gota catch the youngsters early!!

I grew up in Wisconsin...a part of Wisconsin that doesn't really acknowledge hockey (not even the Badgers). But after coming up here, I've fallin' in love with hockey. That's all I talk about, think about, read about, etc...Sioux hockey. I missed two home games this entire year...one was the Saturday night St. Cloud game. I was actually on my way there, but had to attend to my (ex) girlfriend. The other was Friday night Duluth game, where I couldn't get out of work at all.

I had oppurtunities to go home for Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and didn't go. I stayed to watch hockey. The moment the Mankato tickets went up for sale for the WCHA playoffs, I was buying tickets. I went by myself.

I'd go to any reasonable away game, but money is always short. I wish in the worst way I could go to St. Louis, even by myself. (If anyone can help me out with lodging and travel, let me know...reasonably).

Also, by the time I graduate, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to buy a cow head from a butcher and throw it on the ice for a Mankato game. Haha, I dunno if that's hardcore, or just sick, but I want to do it either way. I read every Sioux article. I watch (and re-watch) every Sioux highlight. Last year I was one of the 50 people that camped out for Frozen Four tickets. This year it wasn't worth it b/c you can get tickets at face value still.

I don't know if I'm hardcore or not, don't care. I just love Sioux hockey!

I have been a sioux fan since I was 10 years old. My father is in his 70s and we go to every home game and a few away ones. we have been to the last 3 frozen fours and we are headed to st. louis with the grandkids.My father graduated from und in the 1950s and if it wasnt for him I would not be a siouxfan. I think my father is a great fan, he will listen to the radio broadcast instead of watching it on t.v.he likes henesy

I have been a sioux fan since I was 10 years old. My father is in his 70s and we go to every home game and a few away ones. we have been to the last 3 frozen fours and we are headed to st. louis with the grandkids.My father graduated from und in the 1950s and if it wasnt for him I would not be a siouxfan. I think my father is a great fan, he will listen to the radio broadcast instead of watching it on t.v.he likes henesy

Well of course. Listening to Pat S-W-E-E-N-E-Y is torture to the soul. Everyone would rather listen to Hennesy than Sweeney. :silly:

Well of course. Listening to Pat S-W-E-E-N-E-Y is torture to the soul. Everyone would rather listen to Hennesy than Sweeney. :D

Pats Weenie is brutal, he is the worst play by play announcer of all time, of any sport ! :D That rediculous little laugh he gives

off countless times during a game is so fricken annoying, that sharp scissor in the eye would fee better than listening to him ......

We have a first class hockey program so let's get a first class play by play guy to do the games on FSSN :silly:

The last paragraph sums up a Hardcore Sioux fan:

It's 40 years from now, and most of the coaches we know and love have passed on to their Better Reward.... Red Berenson, Dave Hakstol, George Gwozdecky, Jerry York, Mike Eaves, etc.

Today, Don Lucia arrives in Heaven. God takes Don on a little tour of the place. They jump in a beautiful gold Cadillac, with God at the wheel, and cruise through a neighborhood of attractive homes bordering a golf course.

"There's Red Berenson's house," says God, as he points to a beautiful 10-room home painted maize and blue, with Michigan flags fluttering in a row down the long, luxurious drive. "Wow, that's nice," says Don. "And look over there: that's Mike Eave's place." God nods towards a beautiful red and white 10-room home with a gorgeous lawn and Wisconsin flags festooning a long beautiful drive. "Very tasteful," says Don.

One by one, God points out similar homes belonging to coaches, all in beautiful settings. They finally arrive at Don's house, which is also a beautiful 10-room house, maroon with gold trim, with Gopher flags lining the drive, just as beautiful as the rest. "Gee, it's gorgeous," Don says.

They get out of the car, walk up the steps, and Don oohs and ahs over the house. But as he stands on the steps admiring the lawn, for the first time he notices the mansion across the street. It's huge and luxurious--at least 50 rooms, and is painted in the most beautiful Green and White color Don has ever seen, the lawn is so beautifully landscaped it nearly takes his breath away. But what really catches his eye is the larger-than-life-size bronze Sioux statue on a 6-foot tall granite pedestal, and a huge line of UND flags lining the longest drive that they've seen all day, and it's paved with pure gold bricks.

"Hey, God?" Don asks tentatively. "I don't mean to seem ungrateful, but why do Red, Mike and I get 10-room houses, but Dave Hakstol gets such a huge gorgeous mansion?"

"Don," says God, "that's not Dave's house: that's MY house."

Now that is beautiful. The only thing that would make it better is tDon complaining to the refs about God's Bias. :silly:

Well of course. Listening to Pat S-W-E-E-N-E-Y is torture to the soul. Everyone would rather listen to Hennesy than Sweeney. :silly:

The announcing team his TH and Tim Okeefe. Love when they do the Gopher series.

Yesssss.

Not necessarily... Many people have lived in GF for their entire lives. We bring kids up to be Sioux fans, regardless of whether or not they ultimately go to college at UND. The community involvement behind the athletics in GF is pretty amazing, compared to other places...

As for travel...those who can typically do. But this is a pretty big financial investment...not usually possible for those in college or just out of college... And I don't think that travelling separates the hardcore from the "non-hardcore" fans. Many people who don't have the means to travel (or even attend games live) do everything in their power to at least see or listen to the games to cheer on the Sioux from home.

I agree 100% because I fit in this category. I grew up in GF as a Sioux fan attending home games every weekend. I left GF to go to college and have flown back multiple times to see games (usually the gophers/badgers), and when I couldn't be there I listened or watched online. I've been out of GF for more than four years now and still follow the Sioux hockey team (and college hockey in general) very closely, but as I am a broke college kid I don't get to travel to see games as much as I'd like. Those of you who get to go - cheer extra loud for those of us who can't be there. That being said, I really appreciate all of the members on this board who post recaps and updates on everything sioux hockey. Let's get numero ocho this weekend...