SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim O'Brien did sign with Ottawa. I cannot open the link from the previous couple of posts so I can't read what it says there. Jim O'Brien's dad called my husband this morning to tell him Jim signed. For whatever this is worth to my fellow posters, according to the head trainer for Ottawa, O'Brien tested the best at the development camp this summer in Ottawa.

O'Brien is a turd. I'm not sure how this can really reflect poorly on Lucia or the type of player Lucia recruits. This is an isolated incident, not something that is happening frequently at Minnesota.

Whether Gopher fans consider this a big loss or not, I think this cements UND as the favorite in the WCHA. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not though.

O'Brien is a turd. I'm not sure how this can really reflect poorly on Lucia or the type of player Lucia recruits. This is an isolated incident, not something that is happening frequently at Minnesota.

Whether Gopher fans consider this a big loss or not, I think this cements UND as the favorite in the WCHA. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not though.

I agree with you. I am not sure I want to be the front runner. It just(pardon the cliche)puts a bigger target on the Sioux's back.

But I do think it kinda reflects on Lucia in a way that it shows that he is not close to his players and they do not feel comfortable with him enough to tell him the truth. It might be isolated, but still does not look good for their program.

I agree with you. I am not sure I want to be the front runner. It just(pardon the cliche)puts a bigger target on the Sioux's back.

But I do think it kinda reflects on Lucia in a way that it shows that he is not close to his players and they do not feel comfortable with him enough to tell him the truth. It might be isolated, but still does not look good for their program.

it doesnt matter what place we start out ranked as we will have a target anyways 1st,2nd or 3rd... im not a big fan of that argument, ide rather know we are good before the season starts rather than being a mediocre team tryiung to sneak up, we have a target every year no matter what, 3 f-4's in a row and so on...returning players ect.....bring it on , bring it on

I seem to remember a certain poster who questioned O'Brian's character around the time he was making a college commitment and was subsequently slammed for it... :whistling: As it turns out, that poster may have been correct.

ohhhh, ahhhhhh give that poster a medal for getting it right

I seem to remember a certain poster who questioned O'Brian's character around the time he was making a college commitment and was subsequently slammed for it... :whistling: As it turns out, that poster may have been correct.

I thought there were lots of scouts and analysts who questioned O'Brien's character. Wasn't there a rumor that UND withdrew its interest (or at least stopped recruiting him as hard) once the character issues were more evident to all involved?

I agree with AZSioux in that he should not have been a first round pick, but I don't think that he would have fallen too much farther if he wasn't. Certainly Ottawa wouldn't have been able to draft him if he fell to the second round.

This move by O'Brien makes him the latest idiot. What confounds me is that everyone seems to take his stupidity and place it on the shoulders of Lucia. I don't like Lucia. I don't like the Gophers. However, this decision was entirely made off of O'Brien's stupidity and had little to do with Lucia or the UMTC program.

If I were to guess what changed his mind I'd imagine it would involve something along the lines of "Do I HAVE to go to class? Why can I just play hockey and mess around with the ladies?"

Where does this put UMTC? Well, I thought UMTC would be in trouble defensively regardless of O'Brien's coming or going if Goligoski left. Everyone know EJ would sign. Offensively speaking, I think UMTC will take a hit from the blue line but it won't be that bad. Fairchild should be adequate offensively. Defensively speaking, this has always been a problem for the Gophers. They have Schack and Fischer as bruisers, but Lucia doesn't play an overly physical game style. They are a puck possession team. I think O'Brien will be missed on the ice, but I doubt he'll be missed off the ice. The Gophers simply have too much talent and this allows players who may not have had much of a role (like Wehrs for example) to take a better role on the team. They also could find a plug in defenseman if they needed it. I remember Schack wasn't exactly recruited long and hard before the season started. He was a late addition to the team, IIRC.

I do agree that this development puts UND squarely in the drivers seat in the WCHA. And that means hype and expectations are going to be astronomical, especially early on in the season. I can't bear the thought of what will happen if we should lose one or two games. No...wait... I already know what will happen. In any case, this is not where I'd like the Sioux to be opening up the season. I'd rather have Minnesota, SCSU, or UW be the favorite.

I don't care what anyone says, this deal is in no way, shape or form the fault of coach lucia, or the u of m either. This should be placed squarely on the shoulder's of obrien for not doing the right thing. I think lucia is a good coach and does a fine job representing his university, and is basically a stand up guy. Any finger pointing at him is utter stupidity.

And another poster stated that Ottawa is in a desperate situation with respect to restocking their farm team and are willing to sign anyone who is closest to being ready. :p Want further proof of their desperation check out this signing:

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=335852

I can't bear the thought of what will happen if we should lose one or two games. No...wait... I already know what will happen. In any case, this is not where I'd like the Sioux to be opening up the season. I'd rather have Minnesota, SCSU, or UW be the favorite.

I know what will happen.....Brian Lee will get blamed. :whistling:

I've never understood the "we're not the favorities" philosophy. This is exactly where I'd like to be.....the favorites. I'd like it to be that way every year. I say, put the target on UND's back and let someone else try to take it away. If someone doesn't want to be the favorite they should start cheering for some other team that has a chance of sneaking up in the standing about once ever 10 years.

I'm laughing as much as anybody today, but I also know this worm has a tendancy to turn. Hopefully when it does it won't hurt too bad.

After this season, we may be shedding some tears of our own. I see Osh, Chorney, Finley, possibly Duncs, plus our seniors (Lammy, Kaip, Radke, am I forgetting anyone?) going. The offseason next year may be unkind if you are a Sioux fan. Oh yeah, I forgot Bina, that may be 8 players gone, if no one else leaves unexpectadly. That's going to suck.

After this season, we may be shedding some tears of our own. I see Osh, Chorney, Finley, possibly Duncs, plus our seniors (Lammy, Kaip, Radke, am I forgetting anyone?) going. The offseason next year may be unkind if you are a Sioux fan.

UND doesn't rebuild we reload. There is a lot of highly skilled players coming in next year. I don't know if we need to worry all that much.

I think bringing in Frattlin this year lessens the blow a bit...

After this season, we may be shedding some tears of our own. I see Osh, Chorney, Finley, possibly Duncs, plus our seniors going. The offseason next year may be unkind if you are a Sioux fan.

of course we will be losing those players later on but for now we havent so sorry to the gophs, not really, i dont think its a huge loss but a loss for sure. losing 3 d men will be a interesting situation for them.

i think we all expect those players to move on in their careers no matter what happens so to all the sioux fans all over lets enjoy this season and make a nice solid run at #8 for the 4th year in a row :p:whistling:

of course we will be losing those players later on but for now we havent so sorry to the gophs, not really, i dont think its a hige loss but a loss for sure. losing 3 d men will a interesting situation for them.

i think we all expect those players to move on in their careers no matter what happens so to all the sioux fans all over lets enjoy this season and make a nice solid run at #8 for the 4th year in a row :p:whistling:

That doesn't mean it isn't going to suck.

Losing O'Brien unexpectedly or hanging on to TJ Oshie for another season (to me unexpectedly, because he could've gone).

Losing O'Brien unexpectedly or losing TJ Oshie after 3 years.

I'm thinking Lucia's position is far worse right now.

At least we kind of expect to lose that group (Oshie, Duncan, Chorney, Finley) and the 2008 recruiting class seems to be adjusting and preparing for it.

I still think of all of the bad listed here (and losing UND's four next summer isn't good), Lucia still got the worst of it because he got told one thing and received another, with school starting in a couple weeks, and now only 7 defensemen (and 3 of them freshmen).

Aw shucks for him. :whistling:

If there's a lesser of two evils in this, I think UND (by having the option of a prepared recruiting class) got the lesser evil.

I want us to be an overwhelming favorite just to see what Hak can do with it. We know he can get them ready for the post season run but hasn't been able to finish. I can't wait to see how this team handles the pressure.

I second thisI want us to be overwhelming favorites because that's what this program was built on, not being a second division team hoping to sneak up onsomebody if you want to root for that sort of team go cheer for SCSU or Michigan Tech. Being overwhelimng favorites is where I expect this team to be every year.