SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

I'd believe it this time though as there is no way O'Brien should leave Minnesota. Other times you'd hear it about Parise or Toews. They were certainly ready to leave college, it was just a question of whether they would. O'Brien isn't ready.

I think most of us believe that.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hearing a lot of people commenting on how down Mn will be because of the losses they've suffered on their defensive corps and in net, but I don't necessarily agree. They return more scoring than we do from last year and they have immediate impact freshmen players coming in this fall (Patrick White). Although I believe we will finish higher than Mn in the WCHA standings this year, they are still the team to beat in the league. Their scoring production on the blueline will be down, but they'll replace Johnson/Goligoski/Vannelli. We have balance on offense/defense, they don't which will be the difference. A lot of pressure will be placed upon the 2nd and third lines to score and contribute which is no different from last year. Kozek, Miller, Watkins, Forney, VV are the keys to taking pressure off of our proven star scorers. Freshman contribution will be a bonus.

Though I agree about MN returning a lot of scoring, I don't agree with another part of that. You just can't replace the #1 overall draft pick, and two very experienced/very gifted defensemen in Goli and Vanelli. Not to mention Frazee will have to be a lot less streaky.

I know MN will be fine. But I think replacing those 3 is just not possible, so there will be a learning curve this year.

Though I agree about MN returning a lot of scoring, I don't agree with another part of that. You just can't replace the #1 overall draft pick, and two very experienced/very gifted defensemen in Goli and Vanelli. Not to mention Frazee will have to be a lot less streaky.

I know MN will be fine. But I think replacing those 3 is just not possible, so there will be a learning curve this year.

No question. I agree completely. Guess I just meant they'll simply replace them, of course not with the same caliber of player. I just hope they implode again either with inconsistent play down the stretch or even better, team distractions and attitude problems.

No question. I agree completely. Guess I just meant they'll simply replace them, of course not with the same caliber of player. I just hope they implode again either with inconsistent play down the stretch or even better, team distractions and attitude problems.

We shouldn't be wishing bad Karma on the boys to the south of us. :whistling:

I think that shows how incredible Jonathan Toews was. He was an even younger 17 y/o as a freshman and I believe he had close to 40 points. :p

maybe a goper fan can answer this, did o'brien play d or forward his freshman year? or both? i thought i read where he plays both or ottawa wants him to play a certian position, thanks

maybe a goper fan can answer this, did o'brien play d or forward his freshman year? or both? i thought i read where he plays both or ottawa wants him to play a certian position, thanks

I don't think Ottawa has said what they feel one way or another, but O'Brien played center all season last year. He has played defense before in his hockey career, and he approached Lucia about moving back there for his sophomore season. Lucia was quoted after the Carmen news that he'll play his best 18 skaters, so O'Brien may split time at forward and defense during the first half of the year.

Wow - If true it does not reflect well on Lucia (slightly) and much more so on O'Brien's character. He left his coach hanging out to dry and made him look foolish.

Don't know how it reflects poorly on Lucia. A coach can only take a players words as truth. You would think if OBrien had any reservations at all, he would just not say anything.

Don't know how it reflects poorly on Lucia. A coach can only take a players words as truth. You would think if OBrien had any reservations at all, he would just not say anything.

The only way it reflects badly on Lucia is if you judge him by the caliber of kid he recruits. He was left to hang out and dry by an 18 year old. You recruit mecenaries and you get merc loyalty.

What does it says about a program or how the players feel about their coach if a kid wouldn't even tell his head coach he is considering his options. Supposedly, all of these guys commit because they can't wait to play for UMTC but the evidence suggests this all changes once they get there. Obviously, all is not well in Lala-land