SiouxSports.com Forum

Breaking News - Denver Regional

mujack

I would have loved for UND to win the final five, but in hindsight, it may be better that they lost. Obviously, the team has to get past Michigan first, and I'm not overlooking them by any means (I'm sure Hakstol isn't overlooking them, either). However, if the Sioux had won on Saturday night, they'd be trying to beat Minnesota for the fourth consecutive game in Denver. That's hard to do against any team, yet alone Minnesota. I'd rather give up the final five championship with a very respectable loss and give the guys a quick reminder of the hard work and passion that they came back from Christmas with.

And as far as them being in the same regional, if you can't beat your way through the best, you don't deserve the championship. I have little doubt the NC winner will come from that regional. Let's go Sioux!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have loved for UND to win the final five, but in hindsight, it may be better that they lost. Obviously, the team has to get past Michigan first, and I'm not overlooking them by any means (I'm sure Hakstol isn't overlooking them, either). However, if the Sioux had won on Saturday night, they'd be trying to beat Minnesota for the fourth consecutive game in Denver. That's hard to do against any team, yet alone Minnesota. I'd rather give up the final five championship with a very respectable loss and give the guys a quick reminder of the hard work and passion that they came back from Christmas with.

And as far as them being in the same regional, if you can't beat your way through the best, you don't deserve the championship. I have little doubt the NC winner will come from that regional. Let's go Sioux!

Good point and the same thing happened in Colorado a few years back. When the Sioux had owned DU only to lose to them when it matter the most.

Lucia is a genius because the players played great. :silly:

Nevermind Okposo and Stoa got lit up like a Christmas tree the Mariucci series when facing the DOT line.

I thought the big difference between this game and the the series in January was that the Sioux didn't hit. Okposo was laid out twice in the Saturday game back in January. I think Bina did it each time. Both times Okposo went to the bench. Obviously that line didn't play very well that game.

Oh, and jersery popping is pying tribute to the treasured M over the player who is wearing it. I have no problem with showing pride in your team/school.

once again we see proof of the difference between goofer players/fans compared to Sioux players/fans!

irmen flaunted the m at The Ralph last year after he scored a goal, had he done that 10 years ago he would have gotten his a$$ handed to him on his next shift

but now because of the rule changes players think they can get away with it because they are protected by the new rules and don't have to answer for it.

pstar that is not school spirit ..........................it is called trying to show up the other team. There is a difference.

once again we see proof of the difference between goofer players/fans compared to Sioux players/fans!

irmen flaunted the m at The Ralph last year after he scored a goal, had he done that 10 years ago he would have gotten his a$$ handed to him on his next shift

but now because of the rule changes players think they can get away with it because they are protected by the new rules and don't have to answer for it.

pstar that is not school spirit ..........................it is called trying to show up the other team. There is a difference.

Agreed. That is the number one reason I can't stand the Gophers let alone to cheer for the Gophers even if they are playing in the NC game against a team I have never heard of. The arrogance they show on the ice is unsportsmanlike and should stop. Celebrating a goal or win is one thing....

I ran into a former Gopher player (which I didn't realize until he started talking) after the UND SCSU game on Friday, I just asked them what team they were with-SCSU. Then I asked who they thought SCSU would be playing Sat UW or UM. Then he totally started bashing UND about how many National Championships we have gotten in the last 6 years. Even though he was part of the coaching staff for SCSU, wearing his M on his National Championship ring couldn't just answer a question as someone interested in the game of hockey but as an arrogant gopher. SCSU is probably one of my back up teams but I like them less now after that.

Ummm, best record in the NCAA? Only if you put qualifications on it. As for trolling, nothing I said was rude. I made an honest comment. I like this board because of the pasion and different takes on things, but there's always more bashing of opposing coaches, players, fans, refs, you name it, than talking up your own team. GPL has its bashing, but nothing comes close to the bashing here. I see Lucia rips hourl;y on here. Hakstol's named is hardly mentioned on GPL.

Oh, and jersery popping is pying tribute to the treasured M over the player who is wearing it. I have no problem with showing pride in your team/school.

:silly::angry: TREASURE and bow down to the M fkn joke, heard and saw enough of this bullsh$# in st paul this last weekend. its nice to know we have a few cool fans that join us here from gopher land, some others (i know every team has some so spare me that crap too), well, i will leave it at that...

goofer fans travel well that is hilarious .........just when you know they are idiots they prove it again by saying something like that!

If goofer fans traveled well the state wouldn't have any fans (fans - just a phrase they are not hockey FANS) left in it because they wouldn't find the way home.

goofer fans are the most arrogant, foul mouthed, ignorant about hockey, say anything stupid to an opposing fan, fools as there is!

countless goofer fans proved it again last night from the time we left our seats until we got onto the freeway .............. #1 bush league fans UMTC

and yes the rouser is the worst so called cheer in all of sports soda soda soda soda soda

Um ..... DON'T hold back! Tell us how you REALLY feel! :silly:

God are you people such hypocrites I mean like no Sioux fans at all went over board after the Gophers loss to Holy Cross game last year right!!!!!! I mean really lets face the facts Every College team and I mean even Sioux fans want there team to win against there rivals!!!!!!! but when there team loses anger gets the best of both sides and brings out A holes on either side, that is just facts!!!!! true there are brutal Gopher fans just as there rude Sioux fans but please spare me the he said she said BS and just be a better hockey fan and drop the drama and accept that it is all about everyone giving each other some @#$^ ok people its Hockey for Christ sakes........ :silly:

Hmmm ..... a voice of reason ..... THAT won't fly here!

You mean that ALL Gopher fans AREN'T deranged, drunken, illiterate, child-molesting, satanic anencephalics? How would one be sure, after reading all the keenly insightful, thoughtful analyses that we post here about them, based upon statistically significant sampling of said subjects?

And I had REALLY hoped that finally, a thread here wouldn't deteriorate into another Gopher-bashing. Wrong, again.......

:angry:

After reading this, I have one thought. When you Sioux fans have nothing to cheer about, you attempt to belittle those who do. I hope it helps you folks sleep well at night. As a proud Gopher fan, I don;t need to knock others to love my team or feel good. Good luck against Michigan. I'd like one more shot at you guys.

I do not think you want to see us again. Hak and the boys will be ready for whatever the maroon and gold throw at them. First though we have Michigan, and you have Air Force. DON'T CHOKE!! :silly:

yet, last year a UND player did the same thing, and there were und fans saying what a great job he did, and how it was great for him to show his pride. When irmen did it, it was worse than shooting the pope, when the und player did it, it was justifiable pride. so, you need to change your comment about the difference between gopher fans and und fans, because both are more or less the same.

yet, last year a UND player did the same thing, and there were und fans saying what a great job he did, and how it was great for him to show his pride. When irmen did it, it was worse than shooting the pope, when the und player did it, it was justifiable pride. so, you need to change your comment about the difference between gopher fans and und fans, because both are more or less the same.

Last year....I'm not so good with history, and am just trying to get this conversation in perspective, was that the year Holy Cross beat the Goph's?

No comments on the spread 'em out North-South breakout? I thought it sounded good.

We need more posts like that on this board so people who aren't familiar with how the game is played (me) can learn more. I don't have anything to add, but was looking forward to any responses.

We need more posts like that on this board so people who aren't familiar with how the game is played (me) can learn more. I don't have anything to add, but was looking forward to any responses.

You should see some of the facebook messages I got on sunday from gopher fans... it was pretty brutal and its funny becuase even after we have beaten them previously i wasn't doing anything of the sort... goper fans pretty much think they are a gift to earth in most cases... i guess sioux fans aren't always perfect either but you didn't see me calling or texting or messaging every gopher fan after we beat them.. i guess it just comes down to this weekend...

Sioux run a pretty classic positional breakout (although I tend to think the wingers stay up too high to be truly a classic breakout).

From my perspective, in this form of breakout you need short crisp passes, and the high wingers make those passes longer and less likely to be tape to tape. Most defenses will forecheck aggressively on this breakout with their forwards.

The Sioux, due to some highly skilled forwards ala JT, have been able to beat a guy and create offense on Olympic sized ice doing this breakout, because there is more room to maneuver.

The Gophers, Michigan Tech and Wisconsin all had success against the Sioux on NHL ice by shutting down passing lanes and not giving the forwards any room to maneuver through good forechecking.

Since we can not widen the NHL rinks, we can use the length to create space. Send Oshie and Duncan full throttle up the middle and one side of the ice. That will definitely panic the center and 2 defensemen into a hard backcheck. It will also open up room through the defensive zone and neutral ice. I stand by Chorney and Toews being able to dangle their way past anyone one on one.

I like this idea to open it up, but it might be late in the season to change the breakout. That being said, then those wingers have to get down low, low , low and make a couple short passes to beat a guy. A good pass can even beat a guy who skates like Paul Coffee.

Sioux run a pretty classic positional breakout (although I tend to think the wingers stay up too high to be truly a classic breakout).

From my perspective, in this form of breakout you need short crisp passes, and the high wingers make those passes longer and less likely to be tape to tape. Most defenses will forecheck aggressively on this breakout with their forwards.

The Sioux, due to some highly skilled forwards ala JT, have been able to beat a guy and create offense on Olympic sized ice doing this breakout, because there is more room to maneuver.

The Gophers, Michigan Tech and Wisconsin all had success against the Sioux on NHL ice by shutting down passing lanes and not giving the forwards any room to maneuver through good forechecking.

Since we can not widen the NHL rinks, we can use the length to create space. Send Oshie and Duncan full throttle up the middle and one side of the ice. That will definitely panic the center and 2 defensemen into a hard backcheck. It will also open up room through the defensive zone and neutral ice. I stand by Chorney and Toews being able to dangle their way past anyone one on one.

I like this idea to open it up, but it might be late in the season to change the breakout. That being said, then those wingers have to get down low, low , low and make a couple short passes to beat a guy. A good pass can even beat a guy who skates like Paul Coffee.

For me, interesting stuff. Thanks.

I second dagies' response to yzerman19's posts regarding tactics and strategy. Far more interesting reading than "(this team) su***" and the refs screwed us. I am constantly amazed by the overwhelming lack of hockey knowledge displayed by many fans.

Please keep it up yzerman19, your thoughts and efforts are appreciated by at least two of us.

As I put on another post, jersey shaking is the most classless thing a player can do no matter what team your on. I dont recall the last time ive seen a sioux player do this :angry: someone help me out. The only thing is a few sioux fans may jersey shake because they have yet to find out that this is 100% classless on behalf of the school itself. If you want to show some class and represent your school at the same time, get a flag or a sign from a 'true fan' in the stands and skate around the rink with all your teammates or something... :silly:

For me, interesting stuff. Thanks.

Same for me. I appreciate the insight into countering the opposing team's tactics.

There was a point in the SCSU-UND game when it was still close that the Huskies were doing a very good job of intercepting or blocking Sioux outlet passes to shut down their quick transition game. At the time, I was concerned, but apparently adjustments were made to counter whatever it was that SCSU was doing.

Did anyone else notice this? If so, what did the Sioux do differently to adjust to it?

As I put on another post, jersey shaking is the most classless thing a player can do no matter what team your on. I dont recall the last time ive seen a sioux player do this :angry: someone help me out. The only thing is a few sioux fans may jersey shake because they have yet to find out that this is 100% classless on behalf of the school itself. If you want to show some class and represent your school at the same time, get a flag or a sign from a 'true fan' in the stands and skate around the rink with all your teammates or something... :silly:

So Wheeler skating over the Gophers' fan section and grabbing a flag to parade around the rink would have been just hunky dorey in your opinion? :D

**WARNING - HOCKEY RELATED COMMENT TO FOLLOW** :huh:

As for if UND and UM should meet again - I have a feeling that Lucia won't game plan UND the exact same way because you can bet that Hak is going to develop an altnerate game plan of his own. Lucia may try something more in between the first series and last weekend, and I hope like heck they try to go down low on the PP instead of trying to create opportunities from the blue line every time. I said before that game that UND was not going to sit on their heels and let UM dictate the flow of the PP and they didn't. I think they need to use the corners and space behind the net more and crash the net. A garbage goal counts just as much as a pretty one-timer. :D

I did not notice a change in tactic, only better execution by the players in the SCSU game.

Breaking out is a lot about timing. The player who starts the breakout can't get too hurried, and sometimes its hard to do when you see one of your top scorers open on an outlet pretty far up the ice. You want to get the puck up to him as fast as you can, but that might not be the best way out. I see a lot of rushed passes end up off target or telegraphed to the forechecker.

Secondly, the forwards need to get into position to receive the puck where they can do something with it. Taking the puck while trying to evade a forechecker and looking at your own net is very dangerous. They need their feet moving and they need to be moving in the right direction. THat is one of the big reasons why I said that they need to get lower to start, that gives them more ice moving forward. Also, the passer needs to recognize this and maybe go a different direction.

Lastly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with holding the puck, shaking a defender, and regrouping before breaking out

You should see some of the facebook messages I got on sunday from gopher fans... it was pretty brutal and its funny becuase even after we have beaten them previously i wasn't doing anything of the sort... goper fans pretty much think they are a gift to earth in most cases... i guess sioux fans aren't always perfect either but you didn't see me calling or texting or messaging every gopher fan after we beat them.. i guess it just comes down to this weekend...

My phone would not stop ringing saturday night. The lame messages filled my mailbox. Yet like you said, I never made a single comment to anyone about how the Sioux would beat anyone this year. I was getting calls from people who don't even watch hockey. They just saw Wheeler on SC Top 10 and thought it might be fun to call and laugh. Then again some of those same people called and texted when UND was down 0-2 at MN. Shortly after that, my phone went silent. :silly:

My phone would not stop ringing saturday night. The lame messages filled my mailbox. Yet like you said, I never made a single comment to anyone about how the Sioux would beat anyone this year. I was getting calls from people who don't even watch hockey. They just saw Wheeler on SC Top 10 and thought it might be fun to call and laugh. Then again some of those same people called and texted when UND was down 0-2 at MN. Shortly after that, my phone went silent. :D

Sounds like you need to be more carefull on who you give your phone number out to. :silly::angry::huh:

Talking Sioux strategy, you've got some good thoughts. Very good thoughts. I think the other thing the Sioux should focus on is keeping the puck deep in the zone. The Gophers don't defend well around the goal line, however, they clearly clogged the Sioux up on the blue line. As much as I hate it, dump and chase might be a good tactic. While the Gophers beat you to the pucks all game long, the Sioux does have the size and speed to compete in the corners. Take it low, cycle it around and quick onetime passes to the front of the crease are Gopher killers.

My phone would not stop ringing saturday night. The lame messages filled my mailbox. Yet like you said, I never made a single comment to anyone about how the Sioux would beat anyone this year. I was getting calls from people who don't even watch hockey. They just saw Wheeler on SC Top 10 and thought it might be fun to call and laugh. Then again some of those same people called and texted when UND was down 0-2 at MN. Shortly after that, my phone went silent. :silly:

No sympathy from me man.....I was the guy making calls to every Gopher fan I knew after the Holy Cross game....so with the tables turned you have to expect a little ribbing.