SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 ND High School Hockey

riders06

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ladouceur wins 2008 outstanding hockey senior award, well deserved. why can't we just call it mr. hockey? it is so much easier :huh:

Because if they called it Mr. Hockey, Demers would deserve it. That is why they designate it best senior player now I guess. It seemed like Demers was out there as much as the two big d-men for Red River. that kid is a difference maker and look out if he plays his senior year for Grafton.

GPR wins a 3OT thriller - 3-2! Congrats to the Spoilers! Next year would have been YOUR year but now you can make it 2 in a row!

Now I have to say this...I've been a supporter of GF hockey for over 20 years. I've never been so embarassed as having attended the RR regular season finale at Grafton. A LARGE student section was loud and EXTREMELY rude! Dropping the F bomb and EASILY doing a "you suck" chant. I couldn't believe a parent (ANOTHER large section nearby) didn't walk over and say "knock it off!" Turned me RIGHT off and I say....CONGRATS SPOILERS!!!!

Great game played by both teams. A lot of fun to watch from the stands and by the end you could tell both teams were completely worn down.

That said, I left the game completely embarrassed as a fan of hockey. I hate to blame the game on the referees, but when Grafton tied it up at two there were clearly six players on the ice. This went on for about 15 seconds and they eventually ended up scoring (obviously). There was a lengthy discussion among the officials about whether the goal should stand or not and it eventually ended up counting. Absolutely embarrassing by the officials to miss that call, as it would've negated the RR penalty (GPR was on a power play) and given the Riders a power play with just under 8 minutes left in the game.

Terrible, terrible, terrible, and completely unexcusable. If you were watching on TV you couldn't tell at all, but the announcers get clued in as it goes on. It's tough not to feel cheated if you were one of the kids on the ice (or a fan in the stands for that fact).

It ended up being a great game and all congratulations goes to the Spoilers, but its a bit tough to stomach knowing what actually happened.

Great game played by both teams. A lot of fun to watch from the stands and by the end you could tell both teams were completely worn down.

That said, I left the game completely embarrassed as a fan of hockey. I hate to blame the game on the referees, but when Grafton tied it up at two there were clearly six players on the ice. This went on for about 15 seconds and they eventually ended up scoring (obviously). There was a lengthy discussion among the officials about whether the goal should stand or not and it eventually ended up counting. Absolutely embarrassing by the officials to miss that call, as it would've negated the RR penalty (GPR was on a power play) and given the Riders a power play with just under 8 minutes left in the game.

Terrible, terrible, terrible, and completely unexcusable. If you were watching on TV you couldn't tell at all, but the announcers get clued in as it goes on. It's tough not to feel cheated if you were one of the kids on the ice (or a fan in the stands for that fact).

It ended up being a great game and all congratulations goes to the Spoilers, but its a bit tough to stomach knowing what actually happened.

I think it was obvious that the best team won the state championship. Being a former red river player it tough for me to say it but GPR was the better team. The refs did a great job and let the kids play. One call didn't determine the game.

I think it was obvious that the best team won the state championship. Being a former red river player it tough for me to say it but GPR was the better team. The refs did a great job and let the kids play. One call didn't determine the game.

One call didn't determine the game? Your right but there is a whole different game if one of the officals is able to see that Grafton had six players on the ice. Instead of being on the power play and tying the game, Grafton would of been in a 4 on 4 situation and Red River would have had a power play for near a minute and a half. You can't say that that non call changed the game because it took all the momentum Red River had left and gave it to Grafton. I'm sorry but this call was one that changed the outcome of the game and I will bet that there is video replay in next year's state tournament after what happened tonight. Other than that it was a well played game by both teams and congrats to the Spoilers.

I'm not sure I'd even say that one team outplayed the other. Grafton got a big break and from then on it was about as even as it gets. It would've been interesting to see how the game would've turned out had the officials made the correct call, however.

I'm not sure I'd even say that one team outplayed the other. Grafton got a big break and from then on it was about as even as it gets. It would've been interesting to see how the game would've turned out had the officials made the correct call, however.

This Red River team wasn't that good, they didn't have the dream team this year. They can't even be in the conversation for best ND high school team ever.

This Red River team wasn't that good, they didn't have the dream team this year. They can't even be in the conversation for best ND high school team ever.

And thats relevant...how? They had a very, very good team this year. Let's not judge the team because of a tough break that didn't go their way.

U must be a RR fan. what about a few years ago when I believe it was West Fargo in state taken it to RR for 2 periods then all of a sudden in the third it was penalty after penalty until RR finally won the game. I was there and it was obvious what was going on because a lot of the calls where bogus calls. Stuff like this happens every year and this year is just another year.

what are ladouceur's plans for next year? College or USHL?

At lunch yesterday, a GFRR hockey parent was telling a player from FgoN that Ladouceur and Meland were both going to Lincoln, but due to roster issues, Ladouceur will be spending some time in Fargo till they need him.

EDIT: No link, and not gospel. Just what I heard.

At lunch yesterday, a GFRR hockey parent was telling a player from FgoN that Ladouceur and Meland were both going to Lincoln, but due to roster issues, Ladouceur will be spending some time in Fargo till they need him.

EDIT: No link, and not gospel. Just what I heard.

I believe Meland was leaving today for Lincoln. There are about 5-6 of them off to juniors here in the next week. Its been pretty common knowledge around GF for the last month.

GPR wins a 3OT thriller - 3-2! Congrats to the Spoilers! Next year would have been YOUR year but now you can make it 2 in a row!

Now I have to say this...I've been a supporter of GF hockey for over 20 years. I've never been so embarassed as having attended the RR regular season finale at Grafton. A LARGE student section was loud and EXTREMELY rude! Dropping the F bomb and EASILY doing a "you suck" chant. I couldn't believe a parent (ANOTHER large section nearby) didn't walk over and say "knock it off!" Turned me RIGHT off and I say....CONGRATS SPOILERS!!!!

Were you expecting anything less.. than the best from red river fans its been the same all year. the worst would be at state

If you can't beat a one line team, no matter how good that line is, you don't deserve to win. I will say though,the frustrating thing about the non-call on the too many men is this. If the refs had completely missed it, and went straight to center ice to drop the puck, so be it, one could say it was just a completely missed call. The fact that they discussed it for so long afterwards, indicates to me that at least one of them knew what had happened, but didn't have the balls to wipe out the goal and make the correct call at such a big game.

Competing with minn. teams isnt good at all...

From just a numbers standpoint, I can never understand the point of bringing up ND vs Minn HS hockey. Minnesota has 84 Class A hockey teams and 71 AA teams, about nine times the ND number. The Class A ranks in Minnesota have enrollments that go all the way to nearly 1500 students (like Bemidji, Alexandria, St Cloud Apollo, etc. etc). In North Dakota, the only schools that would automatically be Minnesota AA would be Minot, Fargo South, West Fargo, and possibly Bismarck, which would make less than 1/2 a AA section in Minnesota. The other 14 teams would make barely more than one Class A section in Minnesota. Furthermore, than are a lot of very weak teams in MN HS hockey: Wahpeton couldn't beat a single ND team (including even the west's last place Hazen-Beulah), but yet beat four Minnesota teams (Walker, Morris, Red Lake Falls, and Bagley). Yet no one discusses the weak state of Minnesota hockey HS predominant in midstate, southern MN, Minneapolis, St. Paul, and older/poorer suburbs.

Strong HS programs for small Minnesota schools like Roseau, Warroad, East Grand Forks, and Crookston are an exception, not a rule. For the population of ND relative to MN, ND HS hockey does quite well in producing talent and competitive teams.