SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Wants Documents Sealed

GeauxSioux

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That thought crossed my mind, too. Just how badly does the NCAA want these documents kept from public view? And exactly who is it that the NCAA is afraid of seeing them?

No settlement. Period. Let's say all of this is true. The NCAA slimes out of the fight only to persecute another day? That does not sound palatable at all to me. If the NCAA does relent, I say push even harder and get binding precedent. The PC elites are like so many cockroaches and they will come back. Now that we've mustered the machinery to fight them, fight them all the way. Like I've said before, the next time we might have weenies in the AG Office and the State Board of Higher Education. The kind of exposure through the public documents that the NC00 seeks to prohibit is probably just the sort of thing to break this whole matter into the public forum after which a lot of people may be up in arms and hopefully do something.

"No settlement. Period. Let's say all of this is true. The NCAA slimes out of the fight only to persecute another day? That does not sound palatable at all to me. If the NCAA does relent, I say push even harder and get binding precedent. The PC elites are like so many cockroaches and they will come back. Now that we've mustered the machinery to fight them, fight them all the way. Like I've said before, the next time we might have weenies in the AG Office and the State Board of Higher Education. The kind of exposure through the public documents that the NC00 seeks to prohibit is probably just the sort of thing to break this whole matter into the public forum after which a lot of people may be up in arms and hopefully do something."

I totally agree. By the way, hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster...

I would venture that rather than worrying about settling, or losing a "binding precedent" that will probably only extend to the Red River, the NC$$ is probably more worried about unwanted media attention and Congressional oversight, especially with regard to its tax exempt status and deviations from its charter in any manner of ways. That said, I'd *guess* there's more going on behind the scenes than the AG and NC$$ are letting on. :lol:

That thought crossed my mind, too. Just how badly does the NCAA want these documents kept from public view? And exactly who is it that the NCAA is afraid of seeing them?

You don't suppose they referred to "hang around the fort Indians" anywhere in there?

No, we couldn't be THAT lucky. :silly:

yeah, um don't think the coach watches either. Don't worry, I complained to my friend out loud in the arena with them walking by and all I got was the evil eye. :silly::lol:

Dane got the evil eye and nearly kicked out at the UMD series. I think she was just jealous that Dane and I had better moves then any of the cheerleaders.

I would venture that rather than worrying about settling, or losing a "binding precedent" that will probably only extend to the Red River, the NC$$ is probably more worried about unwanted media attention and Congressional oversight, especially with regard to its tax exempt status and deviations from its charter in any manner of ways. That said, I'd *guess* there's more going on behind the scenes than the AG and NC$$ are letting on. :silly:

I agree pretty much. While the "binding precedent" would extend only to the RR Valley, it would look bad pubicity-wise for the NC00 and it would give some confidence to other schools that have severe cases of wussitis. With the Dems in control the NC00 may not be as worried about Congressional oversight because a lot of the Dems are PC hacks too. Our Representative, Tim Walz, is one of the Earl Pomeroy ilk. It sure would be nice to see Congress delve into this aggressively though. With Dick Durbin and Obama, Illinois was hosed from the get go as is North Dakota.

I agree pretty much. While the "binding precedent" would extend only to the RR Valley, it would look bad pubicity-wise for the NC00 and it would give some confidence to other schools that have severe cases of wussitis. With the Dems in control the NC00 may not be as worried about Congressional oversight because a lot of the Dems are PC hacks too. Our Representative, Tim Walz, is one of the Earl Pomeroy ilk. It sure would be nice to see Congress delve into this aggressively though. With Dick Durbin and Obama, Illinois was hosed from the get go as is North Dakota.

I do agree with the majority of this that has been posted. If you asked me I think that the NC$$ is scare that their dirty landry will get air out in public by having those documents seal. The chance of having them seal? If you ask me slim & none & slim has just left town. The more the NC$$ tries with these tactics the more there going to fail. There chances of winning this lawsuit is like hell freezing over & the devil going ice skating.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

Is it Wednesday yet?

I want to hear the NCAA's argument for sealing the documentation of their star chamber activities.

It should be good comedy.

Great reference! I think that's exactly why the NC$$ wants the documents sealed...to protect the identity of the individuals who pushed this in the executive committee and what they said...possible quote?: "we can find a way to give the big schools a pass but push around the little guys so we look like we're really doing something to help society! WE"LL BE HEROES and NOT lose money!" :silly:

I would love to see emails sent between members of the NCAA during this whole fiasco.

Heck, remember, if you're on a UND computer or computing system you are subject to audit under the rules of use per the UND computing facilities agreement you signed up to. UND can audit incoming or outgoing traffic for appropriate content. And good lawyers grab all emails, all communications, for discovery in cases all the time.

With that in mind, if I were an attorney in the case I wouldn't go for discover on just intra-NCAA email traffic but maybe all traffic between certain domains (NCAA.org? UND.edu?) that are key in this case. It's open to discovery like anything else. Who knows if you'll find anything, but that's why you do discovery.

Imagine if the NCAA's documents show them actively:

- "teaching" certain like-minded groups how to "generate" the "proof" the NCAA claims.

Imagine if the NCAA's documents show them actively:

- attempting to subvert that contract, or

- attempting to subvert UND's private dealings with third parties in this matter, or

- "teaching" certain like-minded groups how to "generate" the "proof" the NCAA claims.

I agree that those are reasons why the NCAA could want the proceedings kept secret. I am wondering why they think a judge would let them keep this trial (or any part of it) a secret. As a matter of public policy, the justice process should be open, above board and totally transparent. I can't think of an argument that the NCAA could make in order to try to countermand this very basic principle of jurisprudence.

-Is this trial a matter of national security? Hardly.

-Is there a possibility of tainting a jury pool? I can't see this.

-Is there anything akin to a trade secret involved? No way. Everything a university does is so public it isn't funny. From the number of female athletes on scholarship to the makeup of the student body by gender, race, etc. records are very public. And therefore, what sort of "secrecy" could the NCAA (an organization composed of these very "public" institutions) claim to need?

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say the above list is complete; nor can I say that I have anything other than a layman's understanding of the law when I said this was a "contractual law" case. But I think the NCAA lawyer trying to seal these proceedings would have to deliver some very tortured logic to rationalize any sort of secrecy request.

I would love to see emails sent between members of the NCAA during this whole fiasco.

I'm not a grammar expert, but to me "fiasco" seems to imply some sort of accidental or unintended occurance. IMO, the NCAA has been quite purposeful in trying to obtain its goal of political correctness (balanced against revenue, of course).