SiouxSports.com Forum

Songs at the Ralph

Big A HG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band's job is to get the crowd into the game. The crowd's job is to make noise along with the band. I know it's been said before, but the lyrics to the rousers and school song are not on the fascia ring and/or scoreboard enough to allow folks to learn them. I sang in the Bards, and have been going to games for over 25 years, so I know all the words, and have taught them to my wife, kids, friends, and others in my section. But that's not enough. Commit them to memory, and the songs will give you something to cheer about. To wit:

Stand Up and Cheer (This is the song played when the team skates on or off the ice)

Stand up and cheer, stand up and cheer for North Dakota,

Pledge your loyaly, for she's your Alma Mater true,

Our team is fighting, and we will help them see it through,

We've got the team (Rah Rah), we've got the steam (Rah Rah),

So North Dakota here's to you!

Fight On, Sioux (This song is typically played after an opponent's goal)

Fight on, Sioux, we're all for you, we're thousands of strong and loyal souls,

We know you'll win every game you're in, no matter how distant the goal,

And as we go we'll show each foe that we're the toughest team between the poles,

We're rough and tough, it's true, but we're sportsmen through and through,

We're the Fighting Sioux from North Dakota U.

It's For You, North Dakota U (Played right before ""Rock and Roll Part 2" before the opening faceoff)

It's for you, North Dakota U, that we sing, your sons and daughters, true.

Cheering our comrades to victory, renewing allegiance to UND.

Your honor, we uphold in every conquest, as your children, aye, shall do,

That whenever we hear that cry of ODZ ZODZ DZI, it's for you, North Dakota U.

ODZ ZODZ DZI is pronounced "odes zodes zye" and is, I believe, an old school chant.

And the easiest one:

Eat 'em Up (Usually played during tv time-out and/or before a face-off)

The trumpet plays Da Da Da Da DAH DAH Da DaDa Da Da DAH three times, and we shout:

EAT 'EM UP, BEAT 'EM UP, LET'S GO SIOUX!!

Or just clap along. Do something! Make some noise. Stick 'em, check 'em, let 'em know you're there!!

Sioux18

Some local choir along with the pep band should really make some recordings and post the .mp3 files here. The words are nice, but if all the fans that visit the site listened to the songs a few (hundred) times they might actually sing at the game. It always sucks if you are the only one that knows the words or or how they are set to the music.

OK man, next time you visit the Ralph, count how many people are going nuts when the band plays gimmie somma lovin', then count the number of people that are out of their seats and getting pumped up when they play "Welcome to the Jungle." I'm sorry but there is simply no comparison. I know that it is not a popular opinion with the "traditionalist" UND Alum's, or student's, but it's the truth. The band is boring. I have more fun and excitement watching paint dry.

I've been there recently and just when the crowd seemed to want to get started some loud rock and roll would get blared, and everything would die down. A band in the background doesn't prevent you from talking to your neighbor about that great play, and allows the atmosphere to develop.

One or 2 songs, like Welcome to the Jungle can be used to hype the crowd, but 80% of the stuff does nothing to help the atmosphere, just fills time, IMO.

Some local choir along with the pep band should really make some recordings and post the .mp3 files here. The words are nice, but if all the fans that visit the site listened to the songs a few (hundred) times they might actually sing at the game. It always sucks if you are the only one that knows the words or or how they are set to the music.

Last time I was up I appreciated the words to Stand Up and Cheer up on the video ring. I sang along. I love that tune.

I hate to break it to you all, but what you all are claiming to be 3 songs, "Stand Up and Cheer", "Fight On, Sioux", and "It's for You, North Dakota U" are all the same song. I was in the Varsity Bards at UND, and what you all are calling 3 different songs are verses of the same song. I do like everyone's ideas for songs to be played at games, though. Too bad none of us work at the Ralph.

I hate to break it to you all, but what you all are claiming to be 3 songs, "Stand Up and Cheer", "Fight On, Sioux", and "It's for You, North Dakota U" are all the same song. I was in the Varsity Bards at UND, and what you all are calling 3 different songs are verses of the same song. I do like everyone's ideas for songs to be played at games, though. Too bad none of us work at the Ralph.

Are you sure you're not just thinking that because the the bards combines all three? Musically they are drastically different. Plus, we are not the only school with Stand Up and Cheer as a school song.

I hate to break it to you all, but what you all are claiming to be 3 songs, "Stand Up and Cheer", "Fight On, Sioux", and "It's for You, North Dakota U" are all the same song. I was in the Varsity Bards at UND, and what you all are calling 3 different songs are verses of the same song.

The Bards sang them as a medley, but they are three different songs, and are played as such in the arena.

Sioux18

Over at theralph.com, there is a page where you can listen to some of these songs. From the main page, click on "Sioux Sports". Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Sioux Songs". The lyrics are on the page as well, but the sound files are instrumental versions. It might take a couple listenings to hear how the words fit the music.

Sioux18

UND has had the choral versions from the Bards online for years. Starting from SiouxSports.com's School Songs page, follow the right-hand link to "choral versions".

We supplemented those with the pep band versions, available from that same page, somewhat recently.

Are you sure you're not just thinking that because the the bards combines all three? Musically they are drastically different. Plus, we are not the only school with Stand Up and Cheer as a school song.

You know what Smoggy, I think you are right, and I am wrong. Now that I think about it, I remember Doc Rhode telling us we were going to sing the Fight SongS, not the "Fight Song". I stand corrected, and am humbled, for once. :silly:

Just a few comments/questions.

First, great listing of songs.

Second, after the iron maiden intro, what song breaks in during the intro video?

Third - I have attended most every Sioux home hockey game since the opening of the new REA. The musical selections really do have to be updated. While I think the band definitely has a place in the arena, the PA music can also really help to make for a great atmosphere. Previous posters are correct... "hit me with your best shot" is pretty tired. So are a number of other songs that just don't get the crowd into it. "Welcome to the Jungle" is a GREAT song, but a few years ago, they really played it to death (most faceoffs, during "big" moments", after fights, etc), and the break from it this year has been somewhat welcome. One band I have suggested for years (since the games in the old Ralph, incidentally) is a band called Fear Factory. They're kinda similar to the Distrubed that they already play, just a bit less radio friendly. They have some really great riffs. One song in particular is called "Edgecrusher". I always thought that would have been great after a Commodore fight!!! Ah, the good old days at the old REA, back when even old ladies watched the games (and didn't read magazines during the games)"

All of this said, one previous poster alluded to the fact that the crowd has a job to do at the games as well. The Ralph does get pretty darn quiet at times, and that isn't the fault of the band or the music chick...

The song that follows the Iron Maiden - Wasted Years intro is "The Slam" by Toby Mac (found by a non-posting Sioux fan).

I will post a new thread with the official playlist that i use...it's pretty good, I listen to it everyday and it never gets old. I can't find/think of any more songs to use.