SiouxSports.com Forum

Songs at the Ralph

Big A HG

I can't stand that song!!! :(

I'd rather shove a meat thermometer in my ear than listen to that crap, but that's just my opinion. Each to their own, though. If we all had the same taste this world would be a very boring place.

A great song to pump up the crowd, IMHO, is "Eye Of The Tiger". Surprised that one hasn't been mentioned yet.

no no no...some of the best pump up music they play is from Godsmack. I'm not sure on which songs they are, but there's two of them that they play, they used to do the one with the intro, the same one they use in the ARMY commercials on tv (blanking on the title). that song during the intro(oshie highlight film) used to give me goosebumps and make me wanna go out and crush a gopher like #7

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no no no...some of the best pump up music they play is from Godsmack. I'm not sure on which songs they are, but there's two of them that they play, they used to do the one with the intro, the same one they use in the ARMY commercials on tv (blanking on the title). that song during the intro(oshie highlight film) used to give me goosebumps and make me wanna go out and crush a gopher like #7

It just doesn't get any better than Godsmack.....you must be thinking of Keep Away...that was the best highlight intro music to date. #2 IMO would be POD - Boom. The Navy commericals I believe are done to Godsmack's Alive track.

I always sing three verses, like such...

VERSE 1

In heaven there is no beer (no beer)

That's why we drink it here (right here)

And where We're gone from here

Our friends will be drinking all the beer

VERSE 2

In heaven there are no refs (no refs)

But here, they're blind and deaf

And when we all have left

Our friends will be bitchin at the refs

VERSE 3

In heaven there is no snow (no snow)

But here, it's ten below (brrr)

And when we all must go

Our friends will be shoveling the snow

then usually back to Verse 1.

Also, Seven Nation Army is played at the Ralph...

I love it!

Does anybody agree that sometimes at a critical point in the game they play music and it takes the crowd OUT of the game ? :(

Yeah, like everytime the Farce of the North Band blows a note, and that idiot with his tired old Don't Fear the Reaper routine. But other than that I would say no.

Yeah, like everytime the Farce of the North Band blows a note, and that idiot with his tired old Don't Fear the Reaper routine. But other than that I would say no.

You're kidding, right? Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is MORE COWBELL!!!

You're kidding, right? Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is MORE COWBELL!!!

Ummmmm.......no, I'm not kidding, the band sucks, and so does the cowbell guy. The cowbell thing was cool the first 1000 times but it's run it's course. Sorry folks, but I've said it time and time again, a brass band blowin' "gimmie somma lovin'" does absolutely nothing for me. You want to get butt's out of seats, do like they do in all the other big arena's, play some Gun's and Rose's "Welcome to the Jungle", "Crazy Train", by Ozzy, or some AC/DC. I know these song's may seem cliche', but they still do their job of getting the crowd pumped up.

Yeah, for the amount of people that show up to mens UND game, it's probably the quietest crowd I've seen for it's size. Especially when they are losing, you can hear a pin drop. Kinda makes some game a yawner. Go to the Kohl Center and check out a rowdy crowd!

Ummmmm.......no, I'm not kidding, the band sucks, and so does the cowbell guy. The cowbell thing was cool the first 1000 times but it's run it's course. Sorry folks, but I've said it time and time again, a brass band blowin' "gimmie somma lovin'" does absolutely nothing for me. You want to get butt's out of seats, do like they do in all the other big arena's, play some Gun's and Rose's "Welcome to the Jungle", "Crazy Train", by Ozzy, or some AC/DC. I know these song's may seem cliche', but they still do their job of getting the crowd pumped up.

I agree with you, but More Cowbell is priceless! But yes...get rid of "Gimmie Some Lovin'"!

We will have to disagree. A band is what atmosphere is all about.

Yeah, like everytime the Farce of the North Band blows a note

The band's job is to get the crowd into the game. The crowd's job is to make noise along with the band. I know it's been said before, but the lyrics to the rousers and school song are not on the fascia ring and/or scoreboard enough to allow folks to learn them. I sang in the Bards, and have been going to games for over 25 years, so I know all the words, and have taught them to my wife, kids, friends, and others in my section. But that's not enough. Commit them to memory, and the songs will give you something to cheer about. To wit:

Stand Up and Cheer (This is the song played when the team skates on or off the ice)

Stand up and cheer, stand up and cheer for North Dakota,

Pledge your loyaly, for she's your Alma Mater true,

Our team is fighting, and we will help them see it through,

We've got the team (Rah Rah), we've got the steam (Rah Rah),

So North Dakota here's to you!

Fight On, Sioux (This song is typically played after an opponent's goal)

Fight on, Sioux, we're all for you, we're thousands of strong and loyal souls,

We know you'll win every game you're in, no matter how distant the goal,

And as we go we'll show each foe that we're the toughest team between the poles,

We're rough and tough, it's true, but we're sportsmen through and through,

We're the Fighting Sioux from North Dakota U.

It's For You, North Dakota U (Played right before ""Rock and Roll Part 2" before the opening faceoff)

It's for you, North Dakota U, that we sing, your sons and daughters, true.

Cheering our comrades to victory, renewing allegiance to UND.

Your honor, we uphold in every conquest, as your children, aye, shall do,

That whenever we hear that cry of ODZ ZODZ DZI, it's for you, North Dakota U.

ODZ ZODZ DZI is pronounced "odes zodes zye" and is, I believe, an old school chant.

And the easiest one:

Eat 'em Up (Usually played during tv time-out and/or before a face-off)

The trumpet plays Da Da Da Da DAH DAH Da DaDa Da Da DAH three times, and we shout:

EAT 'EM UP, BEAT 'EM UP, LET'S GO SIOUX!!

Or just clap along. Do something! Make some noise. Stick 'em, check 'em, let 'em know you're there!!

Sioux18

We will have to disagree. A band is what atmosphere is all about.

OK man, next time you visit the Ralph, count how many people are going nuts when the band plays gimmie somma lovin', then count the number of people that are out of their seats and getting pumped up when they play "Welcome to the Jungle." I'm sorry but there is simply no comparison. I know that it is not a popular opinion with the "traditionalist" UND Alum's, or student's, but it's the truth. The band is boring. I have more fun and excitement watching paint dry.

I appreciate both the band and the PA music at the games. I just wish they would put someone with hockey knowledge and or common sense in charge of the band and the PA. It great to fill in empty time and get the crowd into it. But if there is a bad penalty and the crowd is doing an anti-Shepard cheer or if the crowd is actually doing a cheer or taunting the other team, do not push the music button on the PA and do not signal the band to play. Simple as that. If they can't figure out when to hold off on the music, than maybe they should be replaced.

I appreciate both the band and the PA music at the games. I just wish they would put someone with hockey knowledge and or common sense in charge of the band and the PA. It great to fill in empty time and get the crowd into it. But if there is a bad penalty and the crowd is doing an anti-Shepard cheer or if the crowd is actually doing a cheer or taunting the other team, do not push the music button on the PA and do not signal the band to play. Simple as that. If they can't figure out when to hold off on the music, than maybe they should be replaced.

You want polka music, try the Blue Parrot in Napoleon, ND. Maybe you'll get lucky and the Johnny Glovich Band will be playing. I'm talking a hockey game in a world class facility. Everyone complains about how the crowd isn't into the game. The people in control of the media, ie. music, scoreboard video clips, ect. need to realize that they can get the crowd going. So I agree with you that they should make a better effort to recognize when and what the situation calls for. You will never get me to agree that a brass band is exciting though.

... Blue Parrot in Napoleon, ND.

Don't toss that bird, man.

They are hardcore Fighting Sioux Sport Network watchin' hockey fans in that joint.

On that alone it is indeed a fine establishment, musical selections aside.

(And you never know who might have a relative that works there .... )

Don't toss that bird, man.

They are hardcore Fighting Sioux Sport Network watchin' hockey fans in that joint.

On that alone it is indeed a fine establishment, musical selections aside.

(And you never know who might have a relative that works there .... )

I wasn't speaking ill of the place, merely trying to illustrate that certain things belong together. The Blue Parrot and polka music, REA and kick ass music to pump up the crowd.

They might not be as exciting as some music, but they are a special part of the college hockey atmosphere. The UND band belongs at the games.

i agree with pcm on this one.. the band isn't the most exciting thing in the ralph, but it does belong. If they would play better songs or songs that are just more fun, then people would get more excited when they come on. It is a matter of time and situation when they should be up and playing, and the UND fight songs listed in an above post should be included, but the songs outside of those that they play now are just boring. I also think that the gal in charge of the music needs to update her itunes or whatever she's using up there and get rid of half of the garbage music that they play. they need more of the heavier/catchier/getemjackedup rock songs and less of the pat benetars and no more hit me with your best shot...more godsmacks and disturbed and the nickelback tunes....sorry if it got redundant in here

They might not be as exciting as some music, but they are a special part of the college hockey atmosphere. The UND band belongs at the games.

I totally agree, there's just two things I'd like to see changed. One, the UND band being located in the student section is a good fit, better than in that section way up in the second tier the first few years the arena opened. But, the location of the band now and the few rows that they take up, it just seems like they are spread out and have kind of an unorganized look to them. Up above the band there are two small sections that I think would suit the band well and make it look like a band section vs the few long rows that they now occupy. The open area in front of the two sections (handicap area) would serve well for the band drummers.............which brings up the problem, it is a handicap area, where do you move the handicap people? Plus, the two sections for the band, would it be enough room for the band? The other thing I'd like to see, is the band picking up the tempo a little bit on their songs. I noticed last year at the West Regionals when Minnesota's and Michigan's bands were here, the songs they played were up tempo.....................just my thoughts.