SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ DU - Round 2

AZSIOUX

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping that as well, but it doesn't look like Duluth will finish last; they could go to Denver and knock them out of the playoffs again.

I haven't checked the standings. Does SCSU have a chance for first? O wait, that comes at our expense....I guess I don't want to see MN/Duluth in the first round now.

POSTGAME: (updated as I type ???)

Sioux 3 Denver 0

Phil, second shut out in three games.

Sioux keeping hopes for home playoffs alive... sole posession of 4th place.

Duncan's fifth game winning goal

Duncan scores his 26th and 27th of the year... Kaip with his 3rd of the year

Phil 28 saves (8 in the third), Mannino 17 saves

Don't recall any odd man rushes, and very few turnovers by the Sioux.

Sweeps all around the WCHA except in Denver

Gophers don't clinch the McNaughton Cup

Saturday Results:

Mankato 6 CC 5

St Cloud 5 Gophers 3

Tech 4 Badgers 2

Duluth 5 Anchorage 0

WCHA Standings

Minnesota 37

St Cloud 34

Denver 29

UND 28

CC 26

Tech 25

Mankato 25

Wisconsin 24

Duluth 19

Anchorage 17

HAK:

Real good win. We talked before the game about not playing well last night. Good teams come back and play well the next night. We played with a lot of pride tonight. Got some big plays from some big guys.

The third goal was critical. Key play killing their power play in the second when we got stuck with tired legs on the ice. Kaip goal was huge, great play by Robbie.

Ryan Duncan's first goal was a highlight goal, his second of the night was a Brandon Bo goal. Looked off the pass, looked off the cross crease, somehow got it in. Couldn't tell how he got it went in, might have banked it in. Great pass by TJ on the first goal.

Real team play and real team contributions in the third period. Were never back on our heels... good smart, hard hockey... very different from last night. We don't call out the guys when they are bad, but they redeemed themselves tonight. Kozek being one (yeah... don't call them out haha), gave him extra time tonight because he was playing well. D core didn't play well last night, but did a real good job tonight.

Phil faced less quality shots tonight, did great on traffic and rebounds. Battled hard, with a calm presence. Don't take anything for grantit in the WCHA.

St Cloud next weekend is looking toward the McNaughton Cup, will be a great atmosphere, we're trying to secure home ice... it'll be great. Potentially the two teams playing the best in the league playing next week. Bounced back from last night. We'll be up for the challenege of next week, we've got a lot to gain.

GF Red River wins state 3-1 over Fargo South

THREE STARS: (selected in press box)

1. Ryan Duncan - 2 goals, including the game winner... 48 points on the season

2. Phil Lamoureux - 28 saves (number one star last night)

3. TJ Oshie - 2 assists

St Cloud up next... building always tough and St Cloud is play well. Both games at 7:07.

I haven't checked the standings. Does SCSU have a chance for first? O wait, that comes at our expense....I guess I don't want to see MN/Duluth in the first round now.

I hope Minnesota gets the McNaughton on Friday night while they are hanging their heads after an ass-whoopin by Tech. A win by the Sioux should clinch it for the Gophers, correct?