SiouxSports.com Forum

Tom Buning and Gene Taylor on KFGO Today

CDog

NDSU and UND are going to resume their all sports scheduling annually in 2009 when UND is a DI counter.

That's written in stone and will not shift in either direction for anything.

So be done with this mindless blather.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I think you're dead wrong, but that's just my opinion. If NDSU gets in the Gateway that will leave only 3 available dates in an 11 game season. Given NDSU's expressed desire to schedule 2 FBS teams a year, do you really think that they will forgo scheduling any other OOC games vs FCS opponents by signing a home and home deal with the Sioux? I'd say no, NDSU will still want to be able to schedule UC-Davis, GA Southern, App State and other quality FCS opponents. A home and home series with UND really makes that difficult.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I think you're dead wrong, but that's just my opinion. If NDSU gets in the Gateway that will leave only 3 available dates in an 11 game season. Given NDSU's expressed desire to schedule 2 FBS teams a year, do you really think that they will forgo scheduling any other OOC games vs FCS opponents by signing a home and home deal with the Sioux? I'd say no, NDSU will still want to be able to schedule UC-Davis, GA Southern, App State and other quality FCS opponents. A home and home series with UND really makes that difficult.

First of all, you claimed interest in scheduling 2 FBS games a season is incorrect. 1 FBS game a season is correct. 2 is needless for a team with playoff aspirations.

So that leaves 2 openings.

UND every year and another FCS, hopefully one of the CA teams, is what is going to be done.

Set in stone.

Second, UND will be just as good as Davis and Ga Southern.

They won't require a charter plane to get there or renting out a hotel.

It allows our fans to travel to the games.

And most importantly, it's a guaranteed sell out when they come to the Fargodome.

No other FCS team, save SDSU, can offer that to us.

Even if we are in the Gateway and they're in the Great West, it will be the equivalent of Florida/Florda State.

Set in stone.

It's set in stone.

Scheduling resumes as it was regardless of conference affiliation.

If you're trying to say that UND should come to Fargo twice before normal home and home scheduling is done, then I could see that.

It'll be a simple 2 for 1, 09 and 10 in Fargo, 11 in GF.

Still zero guarantee.

First of all, you claimed interest in scheduling 2 FBS games a season is incorrect. 1 FBS game a season is correct. 2 is needless for a team with playoff aspirations.

So that leaves 2 openings.

UND every year and another FCS, hopefully one of the CA teams, is what is going to be done.

Set in stone.

Second, UND will be just as good as Davis and Ga Southern.

They won't require a charter plane to get there or renting out a hotel.

It allows our fans to travel to the games.

And most importantly, it's a guaranteed sell out when they come to the Fargodome.

No other FCS team, save SDSU, can offer that to us.

Even if we are in the Gateway and they're in the Great West, it will be the equivalent of Florida/Florda State.

Set in stone.

You're wrong. NDSU has expressed a desire to schedule one BCS level "pay day" guarantee game , and one mid-level FBS team (see Ball State) per year. Assuming an 11 game schedule, that leaves only one game available for a OOC FCS opponent. Selling out the FargoDome against the Sioux once every other year will not be a major factor in the decision.

As I see it, you're letting your desire to see this game happen get in the way. A yearly renewal of the rivalry is not nearly as likely as you claim.

They don't have this desire.

They only desire to have 1 FBS game, and not necessarily against a BCS team (though that is ideal).

2 FBS games is 1 too many for a playoff FCS team.

And a sold old FD for the UND game will generate more money than a non BCS FBS team would give us.

We made 200k on the SDSU game. Only 150 from Ball State.

They don't have this desire.

They only desire to have 1 FBS game, and not necessarily against a BCS team (though that is ideal).

2 FBS games is 1 too many for a playoff FCS team.

And a sold old FD for the UND game will generate more money than a non BCS FBS team would give us.

We made 200k on the SDSU game. Only 150 from Ball State.

how did you come up with the 200k number for the SDSU game?

Huh?

Zero, of course.

It will be home and homes.

Is that fact or speculation? I think Gateway membership has a major impact on this issue. If there are only 3 nonconference games to schedule, will the same date be held every year for the UND game? Will it matter if the game can't be held every year? If a team like Ball St will pay 150k, will NDSU ask for some guarantee from UND (certainly not 150k, but something), to keep that date open? Unless the game gets put back on both teams' schedule every year, we could very well see some guarantees being paid.

It's set in stone.

Scheduling resumes as it was regardless of conference affiliation.

If you're trying to say that UND should come to Fargo twice before normal home and home scheduling is done, then I could see that.

It'll be a simple 2 for 1, 09 and 10 in Fargo, 11 in GF.

Still zero guarantee.

Just because delusional Taylor seemed to imply it on feceshead Eddie's show does not mean that a 2 for 1 is even on the table. What the Hell has SU done to deserve that (Oh right...they left the NCC, causing scheduling problems for all their old conference mates - so actually, less than nothing)? Buning would never accept on that basis as he would be strung up by alumni and he knows it.

As I said before, I understand the reasons for NDSU not wanting to play UND in 2007, while UND is transitioning to D-1. I truly hope that once 2009 rolls around, UND and NDSU are playing each other in all sports once again. I mean really, how many people can honestly say they don't want to see the annual battle for the Nickel Trophy ever again? To those of you who claim that UND/NDSU are better off not playing each other in athletics ever again, SHAME ON YOU! :D

I am a Sioux fan, but that doesn't mean I can't give "props" to NDSU for the things they have done in the past couple of years. Heck, I was rooting for them when they went down to the Metrodome and walked all over the Golden Chokers. One lousy blocked field goal away from an undefeated season, right? I hadn't rooted for the Bison since BEFORE I went to UND, and learned how to hate them :D, but I'll root for ANYONE who plays the Gophers. :D

Just because delusional Taylor seemed to imply it on feceshead Eddie's show does not mean that a 2 for 1 is even on the table. What the Hell has SU done to deserve that (Oh right...they left the NCC, causing scheduling problems for all their old conference mates - so actually, less than nothing)? Buning would never accept on that basis as he would be strung up by alumni and he knows it.

It's not a matter of "deserving" it. If NDSU is accepted into the Gateway, and if they decide to schedule UND, which I think is unlikely, they will not come to Alerus until UND has completed its transition simply because they are in a position to demand that. If UND doesn't like it, too bad!

If a team like Ball St will pay 150k, will NDSU ask for some guarantee from UND (certainly not 150k, but something), to keep that date open?

We make 200k on a sold out Fargodome. Probably more for a UND game because we can sell tickets higher. Probably more like 300k for that game.

To those of you who claim that UND/NDSU are better off not playing each other in athletics ever again, SHAME ON YOU!

No such people actually exist.

When UND decided not to play NDSU, a lot of NDSU fans were very hurt.

That pain turned to anger which then manifested itself as those fans pretending that they never want to play UND again.

In turn, some UND fans matched that with a similar "we should never play them again" guise to get back at the NDSU fans saying that.

It's all one big s*it smelling stink circle.

Once 2009 comes around we can finally flush all that BS down the tubes. All those pretenders will, of course, be first in line for tickets to the games and things will go right back to where they were in 2003 and before, as it should be.

We make 200k on a sold out Fargodome. Probably more for a UND game because we can sell tickets higher. Probably more like 300k for that game.

My question goes to the road game. Would NDSU want a guarantee for a road game when they could get 150k from a team like Ball St? Assume no home and home has been negotiated (It's been hard enough discussing one year let alone the possibility of 2). Or do you think UND would say home and home only?

No such people actually exist.

When UND decided not to play NDSU, a lot of NDSU fans were very hurt.

That pain turned to anger which then manifested itself as those fans pretending that they never want to play UND again.

In turn, some UND fans matched that with a similar "we should never play them again" guise to get back at the NDSU fans saying that.

It's all one big s*it smelling stink circle.

Once 2009 comes around we can finally flush all that BS down the tubes. All those pretenders will, of course, be first in line for tickets to the games and things will go right back to where they were in 2003 and before, as it should be.

Easily one of the most common sense, honest posts in this goofy thread. See you in 2009.

(Just so I'm not looked at as an undercover Bison Fan: Schedule the game for Sep. 1 and play us you cowards!) :D

My question goes to the road game. Would NDSU want a guarantee for a road game when they could get 150k from a team like Ball St? Assume no home and home has been negotiated (It's been hard enough discussing one year let alone the possibility of 2). Or do you think UND would say home and home only?

I'm sure Florida State could make way more money than traveling to Florida too.

It's simply the fair way to do it. Each schools gets a chance to have the rivalry as a home game every other year.

Home and home (and probably an extended contract, say 10 years) is the only way it will be done.

It's not a matter of "deserving" it. If NDSU is accepted into the Gateway, and if they decide to schedule UND, which I think is unlikely, they will not come to Alerus until UND has completed its transition simply because they are in a position to demand that. If UND doesn't like it, too bad!

As long a UND is a DI counter, what difference does it make whether SU is in the Gateway? If SU made the transition without playing UND, what makes you think that UND can't do it without playing SU?

Gene's stated his mind. Good for him. So has Tom. Good for him also.

I expect nothing until 2009. That's fine. I'll survive.

This UND fan is returning to his regularly scheduled hockey season (and hoping the rest of you Sioux fans realize that this football talk generated by Taylor is just a sucker play to try to draw attention to his team in the spring, when the Sioux are cranking up the playoff hockey schedule and capturing media attention).

Gene's stated his mind. Good for him. So has Tom. Good for him also.

I expect nothing until 2009. That's fine. I'll survive.

This UND fan is returning to his regularly scheduled hockey season (and hoping the rest of you Sioux fans realize that this football talk generated by Taylor is just a sucker play to try to draw attention to his team in the spring, when the Sioux are cranking up the playoff hockey schedule and capturing media attention).

Once again you got it wrong Sicatoka - Your AD is generating the media attention. He's calling Gene not the other way around. I doubt Gene scheduled time on KFGO with ed. :D

Once again you got it wrong Sicatoka ...

Uh, no.

Q: What initially triggered Buning to be asked about or even bring up a common open date?

A: (Another) Fargo Forum story about NDSU's 2007 football schedule and the number of open dates.

And when you say Fargo Forum you've said NDSU Athletics PR machine: It's Taylor, or Kolpack. But it's not Buning.

And Ed?

He was looking to start an on-air (ratings!) cat fight after the story broke. (We all know Ed that well, don't we?)

Tom wouldn't give it to him; Gene didn't either.

Bravo LTC Buning et al.