SiouxSports.com Forum

Tom Buning and Gene Taylor on KFGO Today

CDog

To Bison Dan and other SU-Fargo supporters take the high road play the sioux. I think the dislike for GF and UND started long before RT. It has to do with the degrees UND offers you of course in Fargo could do a much better job producing doctors and lawyers. Fargo and GF are joined at the hip. How many salesmen come to GF every day and take money back to Fargo. How many of the big spenders at teammakers make money in GF. Make a business decision take the high road play. I see alot of really ugly posts I wonder if this is what they teach there children. My name is Brad Moe I live in GF I played on the 1970 state Basketball Champs at Central. I have loved every Sioux Bison game over the years even in the 80's when we lost every football game. The sun did come up the next day. This talk about how bad things are now that we cannot play is grade school mentality. Your adults act like it.

It's very difficult to follow your post, but you seem to be saying that:

1) NDSU's dislike for UND is caused by jealousy over UND's Law and Med schools.

2) NDSU is obliged to schedule UND because Grand Forks is physically close to Fargo, and some Fargo people, including NDSU fans (God forbid!), are actually making money in Grand Forks.

3) Those who do not favor a resumption of the rivalry are just afraid of losing.

4) Those who believe that there is presently an unacceptable level of animosity between the two schools are behaving like children.

You call that the "high road?"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the smart business decision is to keep the advantage we have and go our own way. I hear so many talking about the business end of it but they fail to mention that by playing this game NDSU would put UND on the same stage and that is not good business or marketing. I know there will be those sioux fans who will blast this but the truth is that NDSU is doing fantastic in this transition and for them to just give that edge back to UND would be foolish. People seem oh so concerned about the fans, then they are so concerned about NDSU. I find that laughable. Where was all this concern 4-5 years ago? If the game was to be played after NDSU wins all that you would say is it was an unfair advantage scholarship wise anyway so why bother. Either way I wish you luck in your transition when you start it but I won't be looking for any game's with you.

PS. There are many more out there like me that don't post to message boards or call into radio talk shows and this isn't a hatred thing it's more like being tired of the same old boring arguements and bickering between schools. It's been nice the last 4 years and I see no reason to ruin that. Look at the last month on all the message boards. This is just a sample of what would happen and I for one really don't care to relive that.

I guess I just miss the old days. Childhood memories. But when I go to Bison ANY Board and read the anger. I wonder if it's most of you or just a few who feel that way. My hope is in 5 years this will be forgotten.

There, I fixed your post.

Oh, and I don't see it changing in just 5 years. It hasn't changed for many over the last 4.

I think the smart business decision is to keep the advantage we have and go our own way. I hear so many talking about the business end of it but they fail to mention that by playing this game NDSU would put UND on the same stage and that is not good business or marketing. I know there will be those sioux fans who will blast this but the truth is that NDSU is doing fantastic in this transition and for them to just give that edge back to UND would be foolish. People seem oh so concerned about the fans, then they are so concerned about NDSU. I find that laughable. Where was all this concern 4-5 years ago? If the game was to be played after NDSU wins all that you would say is it was an unfair advantage scholarship wise anyway so why bother. Either way I wish you luck in your transition when you start it but I won't be looking for any game's with you.

If you can actually understand the business logic behind NDSU delaying any games until 2009, why are you and so many other Bison fans so bitter about UND not playing NDSU during their transition? Besides hurting UND's football team playoff chances, the exact same logic applied to UND's decision four years ago. Now, when the circumstances are reversed, you are defending the very same business considerations that UND used. NDSU broke a business relationship with UND by going to DI at the time, and yet demanded special considerations from us so they could leave us in the dust. There's a word for this logic: hypocritical.

BTW, I personally have no expectations whatsoever of any NDSU/UND games until 2009.

If you can actually understand the business logic behind NDSU delaying any games until 2009, why are you and so many other Bison fans so bitter about UND not playing NDSU during their transition? Besides hurting UND's football team playoff chances, the exact same logic applied to UND's decision four years ago. Now, when the circumstances are reversed, you are defending the very same business considerations that UND used. NDSU broke a business relationship with UND by going to DI at the time, and yet demanded special considerations from us so they could leave us in the dust. There's a word for this logic: hypocritical.

BTW, I personally have no expectations whatsoever of any NDSU/UND games until 2009.

You just proved my point I made in my prior post. Hypocritical you better look in the mirror then. Remember those who live in glass houses.

You just proved my point I made in my prior post. Hypocritical you better look in the mirror then. Remember those who live in glass houses.

For the record, none of my posts have been demanding any UND/NDSU game this year. I actually agree with your assessment of Taylor

Not playing UND forever would be a bad business decision, the people of North Dakota will want the game to resume and NDSU is not going to look good by saying no because of something UND did years ago. I really think that NDSU and UND will play again in 2009 and will meet every year after that. Right now it doesn't make sense to stop the rivalry in 08 after just starting it up again and I think it would be better for UND to be at more of an equal level as far as scholarships go.

A few thoughts...

1. As a Sioux fan, I hate when people throw around the terms 'business decision'. When we decided not to play NDSU in football (it was not a business decision) I believe that most NDSU fans understood the playoff implications. What really pissed them off was us not playing NDSU in any other sports.

2. NDSU did not break a 'business relationship'. Our relationship (besides our instate rivalry) should have been no different then any other NCC team. That point sucks and IMHO makes us look pretty foolish and petty. While it may seem funny, NDSU was no more in "business" with us than Northern Colorado.

3. I still don't think that by having NDSU play us at the Fargodome makes them any more money. Last year vs. Concordia St. Paul they were able to draw 15609. Considering this was before they were so highly ranked (and it was a lowly d2 team) that was a very healthy number. Now that they finished ranked #5 in FCS, they should (no matter who they play) draw HUGE number. In comparison, the last year that NDSU played us at home the attendance was 19042. While it is certainly true that the game would be a sellout, the argument that it's bad business not to play us doesn't hold that much water. NDSU will be close to a sellout regardless of who they play. The current buzz about their team will be enough to put butts in the seats.

A few thoughts...

1. As a Sioux fan, I hate when people throw around the terms 'business decision'. When we decided not to play NDSU in football (it was not a business decision) I believe that most NDSU fans understood the playoff implications. What really pissed them off was us not playing NDSU in any other sports.

As a die-hard Bison hater, I would love to start the rivalry again.

Siouxnanigans:

It sure seems strange that you need to identify your fan allegiance are each time you post. All of your posts have taken subtle and not so subtle jabs at UND. You've been called on this by mutiple posters. Let's end the charade now.

Not playing UND forever would be a bad business decision, the people of North Dakota will want the game to resume and NDSU is not going to look good by saying no because of something UND did years ago. I really think that NDSU and UND will play again in 2009 and will meet every year after that. Right now it doesn't make sense to stop the rivalry in 08 after just starting it up again and I think it would be better for UND to be at more of an equal level as far as scholarships go.

It would be a public relations disaster for NDSU not to resume the game in 2009. Taylor knows it.

While I understand the whole "getting penalized for playing a transition school" argument that NDSU is using, I really would appreciate both sides to just quit bitching about the "he said this" and "you said that" crap of the past! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ONE OF THE LONGEST AND GREATEST RIVALRIES IN ALL OF COLLEGE SPORTS HERE!!! LET'S DO WHAT WE NEED TO DO TO GET THIS RIVALRY GOING AGAIN!!!

Oh, and YES, UND SHOULD play in Fargo to re-start this all. After all, the Sioux football team is undefeated in the "SIOUX" Dome. :lol:

"Sioux Dome" or not, NDSU would kill UND right now. I saw both teams play multiple times this past year, and I don't think it would even be close.

Siouxnanigans:

It sure seems strange that you need to identify your fan allegiance are each time you post. All of your posts have taken subtle and not so subtle jabs at UND. You've been called on this by mutiple posters. Let's end the charade now.

There is no charade. I'm just more objective than most. Unlike many posters on this board, I don't think that UND can do no wrong. I think that we've made many bad decisions over the past few years. I feel that in a sea of green and white, that i'm the voice of reason.

There is no charade. I'm just more objective than most. Unlike many posters on this board, I don't think that UND can do no wrong. I think that we've made many bad decisions over the past few years. I feel that in a sea of green and white, that i'm the voice of reason.
:lol::D;)

The true reason why ndsu doesn't want this game lies in the fact that there is a strong possibility that the Sioux would win. NDSU's perceived rise in athletics over the last few years has come from claiming superiority over UND and without a game between the schools UND had no chance to refute those claims. If anything bison fans, coaches, and administrators should be thanking RT for choosing not to play as it no doubt saved a few of their careers by not having to endure a butt-kicking at the hands of the Sioux while they were transitioning (ex Amy Ruley). Not playing the bison aided their transition and robbed some excellent Sioux teams of the opportunity to beat the bison like so many teams before them. Taylor knows this and isn't too keen to put ndsu's faux success over the past few years to the test by playing the Sioux, even if it means looking like a whiny, chickensh*t little b**** in public.

The true reason why ndsu doesn't want this game lies in the fact that there is a strong possibility that the Sioux would win. NDSU's perceived rise in athletics over the last few years has come from claiming superiority over UND and without a game between the schools UND had no chance to refute those claims. If anything bison fans, coaches, and administrators should be thanking RT for choosing not to play as it no doubt saved a few of their careers by not having to endure a butt-kicking at the hands of the Sioux while they were transitioning (ex Amy Ruley). Not playing the bison aided their transition and robbed some excellent Sioux teams of the opportunity to beat the bison like so many teams before them. Taylor knows this and isn't too keen to put ndsu's faux success over the past few years to the test by playing the Sioux, even if it means looking like a whiny, chickensh*t little b**** in public.

Faux success? Just because we're Sioux fans doesn't mean we have to belittle NDSU. They had balls enough to move up when UND didn't, and now we're following their lead. Beating Wisconsin and Marquette in basketball and going 10-1 in football with a win over I-A Ball State and a one-point loss to Minnesota is not "faux" success.

Anyone with any common sense knows NDSU moved up when they should have, and has/will have a competitive advantage over UND for a few years.

And while I'll be pulling for UND when they do play NDSU again, right now the Bison would kill them.

A few thoughts...

2. NDSU did not break a 'business relationship'. Our relationship (besides our instate rivalry) should have been no different then any other NCC team. That point sucks and IMHO makes us look pretty foolish and petty. While it may seem funny, NDSU was no more in "business" with us than Northern Colorado.

3. I still don't think that by having NDSU play us at the Fargodome makes them any more money. Last year vs. Concordia St. Paul they were able to draw 15609. Considering this was before they were so highly ranked (and it was a lowly d2 team) that was a very healthy number. Now that they finished ranked #5 in FCS, they should (no matter who they play) draw HUGE number. In comparison, the last year that NDSU played us at home the attendance was 19042. While it is certainly true that the game would be a sellout, the argument that it's bad business not to play us doesn't hold that much water. NDSU will be close to a sellout regardless of who they play. The current buzz about their team will be enough to put butts in the seats.

Most Bison fans understand the fb reason for not playing, but all the other sports? It was just RT & UND being vindictive and hoping for failure on NDSU's move to DI. It's as simple as that! And some posters on this board don't understand the reason that NDSU doesn't want anything to do with UND. Is it that hard to understand? Make your own way on the move to DI, because if your success depends on playing NDSU then you're in a world of hurt.

That post, my friend, is pure comedic genius.

It really wasn't UND's refusal to schedule NDSU that ticked Bison fans off. It was the way that they did it. Calling a press conference to disparage NDSU, IAA football, and generally behave like complete jackasses. If UND had simply said something like "We wish NDSU luck in their DI effort, but we do not believe that the time is right for us to make that move. We would love to continue the on field rivalry, however it is no longer possible because of the difference in scholarship levels and concerns we have regarding potential playoff implications" the damage to the two schools relationship likely would never have occurred, and we would probably be taking about a Sept. 1 game.

UND has only itself to blame for the present unpleasantness regarding scheduling.

After reading all these posts, this message board has more people that are "Sioux Fans", but side with our rival when discussing most topics, than any message board in the history of Al Gores internet. :D

If you tried that over at Tony's lovefest........bad.

That post, my friend, is pure comedic genius.

Actually I think the question needs to be raised as to how gung-ho the bison faithful would have been during the transition if there had been a few losses, especially football losses or lopsided WBB losses. Would everything have gone as smoothly? I tend to think not. UND not playing ndsu was a godsend for ndsu's move. It allowed ndsu to claim athletic superiority off the playing fields and never have to actually prove anything on them. Ndsu athletics the last 10 or 15 years has always been better at telling people they were better than the Sioux than they ever were at actually beating them. Not playing has let the ndsu blowhards continue their arrogant boasting without ever having to eat crow when yet another Sioux football player would hoist the nickel over his head. For Taylor and Co. it's simply better to continue talking the talk, while never having to walk the walk.

Actually I think the question needs to be raised as to how gung-ho the bison faithful would have been during the transition if there had been a few losses, especially football losses or lopsided WBB losses. Would everything have gone as smoothly? I tend to think not. UND not playing ndsu was a godsend for ndsu's move. It allowed ndsu to claim athletic superiority off the playing fields and never have to actually prove anything on them. Ndsu athletics the last 10 or 15 years has always been better at telling people they were better than the Sioux than they ever were at actually beating them. Not playing has let the ndsu blowhards continue their arrogant boasting without ever having to eat crow when yet another Sioux football player would hoist the nickel over his head. For Taylor and Co. it's simply better to continue talking the talk, while never having to walk the walk.

So, you wouldn't consider a year in which NDSU finished 10-1 in football, earned a victory over a D-1A program, dominated a Big Ten team in football, defeated the #8 team in the nation in men's basketball, earned a conference football championship, set an all-time attendance record, swept their most important rival in both football and men's basketball, won a conference championship in football, and finished the season ranked #5 in the final D1AA football polls to be "walking the walk."

Nice try, but NDSU has moved on. Perhaps you should too.

So, you wouldn't consider a year in which NDSU finished 10-1 in football, earned a victory over a D-1A program, dominated a Big Ten team in football, defeated the #8 team in the nation in men's basketball, earned a conference football championship, set an all-time attendance record, swept their most important rival in both football and men's basketball, won a conference championship in football, and finished the season ranked #5 in the final D1AA football polls to be "walking the walk."

Nice try, but NDSU has moved on. Perhaps you should too.

For someone who's moved on you and other bison fans spend an awful lot of time here. I never said the bison didn't have a good season, but if you're so damn good then why won't you play us. I feel the true reason remains that you just might lose and there will be some serious egg on a lot of people's faces. I guess I can respect that decision if Taylor would just come right out and say it and then we can start telling recruits how the mighty bison are too chickenshit to play us. It would probably sound a whole less pathetic than the weak excuses he was trying to pawn off to everyone on KFGO.