SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker Vote

sprig

Although the site says we're in phase 1 of the fan vote (http://www.hobeybaker.com), only a limited number of candidates are listed, including just Toews and Oshie from the Sioiux. Past years you could vote once a day for your top 3, and all players of all teams were listed. Now, limited candidates and you can vote multiple times per day.

Which means, can't even give Bina or Duncan votes. I believe, however, the coaches' vote counts much more heavily, so they may still have a chance, in spite of getting no fan votes (coaches vote for top 3 in conference and top 3 in nation, in two separate votes).

this is more for fans, these are submitted early, go to duncans thread here on SS and i posted what brad wrote, coaches have a lot to do with the real ballots

duncan needs to continue this tear to be a finalist and bina has no shot, even though he has been one of the sioux mvp's for sure!!

All the Sioux fans out there should log onto http://www.hobeybaker.com/voting/ and all vote as much as possible for both Oshie and Toews. Give the two the best chance to win the Hobey!

well, neither have had a hobey season, osh snakebitten and toews injuries and wjt, duncan is the man this season if he keeps up the tear, also this means little when it really comes down to the hobey, just something for the fans to feel involved.....

well, neither have had a hobey season, osh snakebitten and toews injuries and wjt, duncan is the man this season if he keeps up the tear, also this means little when it really comes down to the hobey, just something for the fans to feel involved.....

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't support our guys that made the list, does it?

I'm told by a reliable source that the fan voting list on the Hobey Baker website was compiled during the pre-season. It sounds as if there's a good chance that Duncan's name could yet be added. However, not being on the list doesn't prevent him from being considered for the Hobey.

I'm told by a reliable source that the fan voting list on the Hobey Baker website was compiled during the pre-season. It sounds as if there's a good chance that Duncan's name could yet be added. However, not being on the list doesn't prevent him from being considered for the Hobey.

Duncan is now listed. Just gave him vote #1.

No disrespect to our guys, but based on this season Goligoski should be Hobey.

Goligoski may be the top d-man, but I doubt hobey worthy. Chorney's WCHA numbers are about the same.

Bina - no chance

Duncan - solid numbers, but does anyone feel he is the most valuable player on this team? If I were to pick the player that we could least afford to lose I would put Duncan, at best, at fourth. All our legitimate hobey candidates in the past were the guy I would least want out with an injury.

Siouxnami, I can't believe you would suggest a dirty Goofer deserves the Hobey (even though Potulny deserved it last year). But as Sioux fans, all of us here at SS should go to hobeybaker.com and vote for Duncan. I know they put his name in late and he is already 10,000 votes behind the leading vote getters, but damnit he should be a finalist this year for what he has done for our team. I know the coaches have a majority of the power in this thing, but it would be nice to get Duncan some well deserved votes on the fan voting part. P diddy says vote or die! :silly:

Duncan mentioned in INCH's Hobey Watch:

BULL MARKET

Ryan Duncan

North Dakota

Sophomore

Forward

We started building a case for Duncan, who leads the WCHA with 21 goals and shares the league lead in scoring with 36 points, after naming him our Player of the Week for his efforts in the Fighting Sioux's sweep of Minnesota. Though his play against the Golden Gophers was particularly impressive, the diminutive forward (the Calgary native's listed as 5-foot-6, 158 pounds) has been the one constant in the lineup for a North Dakota team that's ridden the roller coaster this season. His more heralded classmates, T.J. Oshie (4-7

Bina - no chance

Where realistically speaking, Robbie won't win the Hobey, here's the award criteria:

Hobey Baker Memorial Award Criteria

1. Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off the ice.

2. Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

3. Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportmanship.

4. Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time students in an accredited NCAA college or university; and complete 50% or more of the season.

I highly doubt any current college hockey player has displayed his strength of character on and off the ice better than Robbie Bina in the past 2 years.

So I was voting for Duncan and I noticed another player on the ballot... Scared Heart has a player with a very interesting name, I guess would be the best way to say it. There are definitly some entertaining names out there!

Scared Heart

I played with a kid in EGF named Bear Landa. Judging by the names of Mr. and Mrs. Trapp, I doubt "Bear" was chosen for the same reasons...

Goligoski may be the top d-man, but I doubt hobey worthy. Chorney's WCHA numbers are about the same.

Bina - no chance

Duncan - solid numbers, but does anyone feel he is the most valuable player on this team? If I were to pick the player that we could least afford to lose I would put Duncan, at best, at fourth. All our legitimate hobey candidates in the past were the guy I would least want out with an injury.

I think everybody can see that Duncan has that rare talent for goal scoring. Because he was not so heralded, he plays second fiddle, but always seems to find the back of the net. Honestly, if UND lost Duncan in November they would not be at this point. He is the one player who continues to light the lamp when his linemates are snake bitten.

I hope we lose nobody the rest of the way, but Duncan is one name that needs to be in that lineup. He just has that touch that every team envies. (Think Ryan Potulny or Brandon Bochenski)

I think everybody can see that Duncan has that rare talent for goal scoring. Because he was not so heralded, he plays second fiddle, but always seems to find the back of the net. Honestly, if UND lost Duncan in November they would not be at this point. He is the one player who continues to light the lamp when his linemates are snake bitten.

I hope we lose nobody the rest of the way, but Duncan is one name that needs to be in that lineup. He just has that touch that every team envies. (Think Ryan Potulny or Brandon Bochenski)

As they say in Chicago come early and vote often.

• 2 weeks later...

After his recent play, does anyone think Toews has a chance at winning the hobey ? After watching him play this past weekend I find it hard to believe there is a better forward in college anywhere (with all due respect to Oshie and Duncan). This is the player most of us were expecting from the start of the season. For whatever reason, injury and/or other factors, he started out slow but is coming on real strong right now.

He is currently tied for 47th in scoring with 31 points but he is 4th in scoring on a pts/game basis (1.48).

If he keeps playing this way he may end up leading the NCAA in points per game. He has only played in 21 of the 30 Sioux games so far, missing 6 for the WJ and 3 due to injury. Heck, if he keeps averaging 3 points per game (not likely) he may still lead the NCAA in scoring.

After his recent play, does anyone think Toews has a chance at winning the hobey ? After watching him play this past weekend I find it hard to believe there is a better forward in college anywhere (with all due respect to Oshie and Duncan). This is the player most of us were expecting from the start of the season. For whatever reason, injury and/or other factors, he started out slow but is coming on real strong right now.

He is currently tied for 47th in scoring with 31 points but he is 4th in scoring on a pts/game basis (1.48).

If he keeps playing this way he may end up leading the NCAA in points per game. He has only played in 21 of the 30 Sioux games so far, missing 6 for the WJ and 3 due to injury. Heck, if he keeps averaging 3 points per game (not likely) he may still lead the NCAA in scoring.

I think Duncan has a better chance to win the Hobey this year then Toews. Toews just started way to slow. I can't believe that Duncan is not more in the race then I feel he should be. This is a player that has surprised everyone and without Duncan 's play I do not think the Sioux make the kind of run the have recently.

I think Duncan has a better chance to win the Hobey this year then Toews. Toews just started way to slow. I can't believe that Duncan is not more in the race then I feel he should be. This is a player that has surprised everyone and without Duncan 's play I do not think the Sioux make the kind of run the have recently.

Sioux fans have not done real well at stuffing the ballot box for any of the three listed.