SiouxSports.com Forum

2nd Edition of Gotta Give Credit were Credit is Due

cujo2

Yes, the sioux have played such college power houses as Quinnipiac, the u-18 team, Dartmouth, and St. Lawrence :ohmy: The only common non-conference opponnet both UND & mn played is Maine. Both UND & mn got beat my maine. The reality is that both UND & mn do schedule some cupcakes for their non-conference schedule.

Very true...

UND's exhibition game against the US Under-18 Team has nothing to do with its nonconference schedule. Why is it even being mentioned?

Don't look now, but St. Lawrence, Quinnipiac and Bemidji State are having pretty good seasons. Regardless of whether anyone thinks they are "cupcakes," UND's wins over them will help in the PairWise ranking (assuming those teams continue to play well).

I remember watching the post-game interview outside the locker room and he mentioned something about Lammy when he made glove saves and flung his arm around, I think he was a little bitter about that. Funny that he mentioned it though.

I watched that video and while I was surprised to see those comments in print I realized that they came up in the interview because someone asked him specifically what he thought about that. I thought it was a reasonable response from the opposing coach.

Yep, but he also offered these nuggets:

"People were asking where Oshie and Toews were, well they should have been here this weekend."

When being pressed for Gophers excuses, he offered a couple then re-emphasized: "Again -- I want to compliment North Dakota on how well they played all weekend."

Exactly.

I watched that video and while I was surprised to see those comments in print I realized that they came up in the interview because someone asked him specifically what he thought about that. I thought it was a reasonable response from the opposing coach.

The way I see it through my green goggles with Lammy lifting his glove up is: he wants the ref to know the puck is right here, as he wants a whistle to keep the chop's to a minimum.

UND's exhibition game against the US Under-18 Team has nothing to do with its nonconference schedule. Why is it even being mentioned?

Don't look now, but St. Lawrence, Quinnipiac and Bemidji State are having pretty good seasons. Regardless of whether anyone thinks they are "cupcakes," UND's wins over them will help in the PairWise ranking (assuming those teams continue to play well).

PCM-

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but when UND played Dartmouth, Dartmouth was ranked in the USCHO polls.

PCM-

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but when UND played Dartmouth, Dartmouth was ranked in the USCHO polls.

I think I remember reading recently that Dartmouth was starting to get hot. They would be another team to add to the list.

I think I remember reading recently that Dartmouth was starting to get hot. They would be another team to add to the list.

I think what happens is that it matters where they are at the end of the year as far as record. Also they have the TUC (Teams under consideration) which is teams with a winning record. So if I understand it right your games against teams with a losing record don't count.

That's why we want the teams we played like Quinnipiac and Dartmouth and St Lawrence to do well and finish with a winning record.

Please let me know if I understand this correctly.

Jeff Dubay giving credit where credit is due also.....

This morning on the PA and Dubay show on KFAN, the biggest Goofer rube of all time (Dubay) called the Ducan, Oshie and Towes line "the best line in college hockey". ;) Kudos to him for giving props to an opponent, something Coach Chia Pet has a problem with. :glare:o

Sonmor was on Hartman this afternoon and said the same thing. I didn't know Sonmor knew what praise was.

Yes, the sioux have played such college power houses as Quinnipiac, the u-18 team, Dartmouth, and St. Lawrence ;) The only common non-conference opponnet both UND & mn played is Maine. Both UND & mn got beat my maine. The reality is that both UND & mn do schedule some cupcakes for their non-conference schedule.

cujo2,

You are right; our non-conference schedule is not that strong this year. I hope we get back to playing good teams like Boston College, Boston University and New Hampshire like we have in the past. I was just responding to the assertion that the Gophers have a strong schedule; a statement that I do not agree with.

Of course, all of this will come out in the wash in March and April and that is what matters.

cujo2,

You are right; our non-conference schedule is not that strong this year. I hope we get back to playing good teams like Boston College, Boston University and New Hampshire like we have in the past. I was just responding to the assertion that the Gophers have a strong schedule; a statement that I do not agree with.

Of course, all of this will come out in the wash in March and April and that is what matters.

I'd like to add a few facts to the discussion of strength of schedule.

Specifically, I don't think its reasonable to characterize UND's schedule as cupcakes. The lowest ranked, Dartmouth at #28, carries an RPI over .500. The average RPI is pretty stiff at .5271.

Minnesota has played 3 teams in the top 10, but 4 games against the bottom dozen. This is unbecoming an elite WCHA team :angry: and results in a combined RPI of only .4895. And in all fairness the Ohio State game makes sense because they are a big 10 rival and Lucia probably expected them to end the season ranked fairly high (top 20).

When the Selection Committee starts washing teams in March, UND's SOS will be a help. Minnesota, in all likelihood, will have a strong enough combination of wins and SOS to get a #1 seed.

North Dakota Nonconference

RPI rank RPI

Maine 10 0.5477

Maine 10 0.5477

St Lawrence 17 0.5301

Q 18 0.5241

Q 18 0.5241

Bemidji 22 0.5170

Bemidji 22 0.5170

Dartmouth 28 0.5091

Minnesota Nonconference

RPI rank RPI

Michigan State 7 0.5554

Michigan 8 0.5527

Maine 10 0.5477

Ohio State 29 0.5057

Ohio State 29 0.5057

Ferris State 47 0.4474

Wayne State 53 0.4303

Wayne State 53 0.4303

Alabama-Huntsville 54 0.4301

I'd like to add a few facts to the discussion of strength of schedule.

Specifically, I don't think its reasonable to characterize UND's schedule as cupcakes. The lowest ranked, Dartmouth at #28, carries an RPI over .500. The average RPI is pretty stiff at .5271.

Minnesota has played 3 teams in the top 10, but 4 games against the bottom dozen. This is unbecoming an elite WCHA team :angry: and results in a combined RPI of only .4895. And in all fairness the Ohio State game makes sense because they are a big 10 rival and Lucia probably expected them to end the season ranked fairly high (top 20).

When the Selection Committee starts washing teams in March, UND's SOS will be a help. Minnesota, in all likelihood, will have a strong enough combination of wins and SOS to get a #1 seed.

North Dakota Nonconference

RPI rank RPI

Maine 10 0.5477

Maine 10 0.5477

St Lawrence 17 0.5301

Q 18 0.5241

Q 18 0.5241

Bemidji 22 0.5170

Bemidji 22 0.5170

Dartmouth 28 0.5091

Minnesota Nonconference

RPI rank RPI

Michigan State 7 0.5554

Michigan 8 0.5527

Maine 10 0.5477

Ohio State 29 0.5057

Ohio State 29 0.5057

Ferris State 47 0.4474

Wayne State 53 0.4303

Wayne State 53 0.4303

Alabama-Huntsville 54 0.4301

It would appear that UMN non conference schedule is delicious compared to UND's.