SiouxSports.com Forum

2nd Edition of Gotta Give Credit were Credit is Due

cujo2

Damn it this is habit forming :ohmy: and hopefully there will not be a 3rd or 4th edition of this segment.

Any way, once again UND came out and dictated the pace of the game. The took the game right at the Gophers. I was really shocked becasue UND beat mn at their own game. Typically the quick pace coupled with end to end rushes favors Minnesota. CC and Michigan tried that early this year and were thumped pretty good. Seeing UND do that to MN was eye-popping. I posted earlier in the week that if UND sweeps it will springboard them the rest of the season. Watch out WCHA the 800# Gorilla has awoken.

No doubt the Gophers have some issues to work on. To see them give up 5 straight goals in 2 consecutive games does have me concerned a little. The defense & goaltending have been the backbone of this club. But for me, the Gophers have another month to take care of these issues. Getting Pohl & Kaufmann back will help a lot but won't happen until mid-Feb.

Contratulations UND you definetly earned the sweep.

UND was fortunate to have played Minnesota at this point of the season. I believe the Gophers were a little to comfortable with their lead in the WCHA and what they've accomplished up to this point. The Sioux are playing in desparation mode. The Gophers' injuries and the adjustment to the loss of Hirsch were factors, too. And UND's DOT line couldn't have picked a better time to play its best series of the season.

Can UND keep it going? Can Minnesota return to mid-season form before the playoffs start? Those are the questions yet to be answered.

UND was fortunate to have played Minnesota at this point of the season. I believe the Gophers were a little to comfortable with their lead in the WCHA and what they've accomplished up to this point. The Sioux are playing in desparation mode. The Gophers' injuries and the adjustment to the loss of Hirsch were factors, too. And UND's DOT line couldn't have picked a better time to play its best series of the season.

Can UND keep it going? Can Minnesota return to mid-season form before the playoffs start? Those are the questions yet to be answered.

I think mn's lead in the wcha race had a small factor, not much though IMO. They started with a 5 point lead, got swept, and still have a 3 point lead. As bad as the weekend was for us gopher fans it is still not time to jump off the bridge. Basically UND outplayed the gophers in every facet of the game all weekend. Hands down end of discussion

Desperation mode for UND is correct. They need to approach every series from here on out the same way. If I was a UND fan this might concern me in 2 ways:

#1) The intensity they showed this weekend can not last forever. Sooner or later "mental fatigue" and/or "physical fatigue" will rear its ugly head.

#2) The pro-verbial "off game". Let's say UND does go on a historic run and wins their last 8 games. They finish the season 18-1-1 and looking like the red army team of the 70's. Eventually the "off game" appears. I don't think UND would want to bow out in the final 5 or in the 1st round of the ncaa's. Case in point was last years MN & WI teams. Both looked like juggernauts that would not be stopped. Same thing with DU & BC a few years ago and even to some extent Maine and New Hampshire this year.

I do think MN will get things headed into the right direction. Let's face it most, if not, all national title contending teams need to have a "Wake up call" Last year MN did it to Wisconisn in the Kohl center. It turned out pretty darn good for the Badgers.

I also think UND will continue their surge. I have wondered if the loss of Brad Berry proved to be more costly than was intially.

Not to rain on any love fest, but I have not been wildly impressed with the Gophers all season. They are extremely young.

Their non-conference schedule has been soft. Their league schedule set up nicely for them, at least early. Unlike the Sioux, they managed to win the games that they should have won against the lower division teams. They have won some close games, and have not exactly been dominant over the top-tiered teams in the league thus far. They have played many of their games in the friendly confines of The John. Once again, they are relying on a roster of nearly all Minnesota kids, other than the Colorado Sieve. Woog proved for years that although that is a nice aspirational goal, it does not produce many banners. Lucia has been his typical self, and all heads were no doubt swelling. Losing Hirsch had to hurt a ton, and who knows what lingering effect that is having. Neither Briggs nor Frazee are candidates for All American. The Gophers were ripe to be picked. I am tired of reading and hearing from the Twin Cities media and some fans (not all of course) that the Gophers were victims of their own poor play and some "bad bounces." They got schooled in every aspect of the game, and at least some Gopher fans are willing to recognize it as such.

I, among many on this board, called this sweep early. Big deal. It was an obvious and easy call based on my astrology charts and league watching. It is nice to see some early naysayers back on the wagon. The Mankato series will be tough, as will they all be, for every team, from here on in. All the way through March and into April. The teams with the best talent, grit, coaching, and breaks, including the injury wagon, will likely be in St. Paul and in St. Louis.

While I always enjoy watching the Sioux school the Gophers, and while I really was hoping for a Minnesota-North Dakota shootout in the West last year, I could care less about seeing the Gophers again this year. I hope that they get beat in the first round of the playoffs. I hope that they limp into the regionals, and I hope that they have an early exit from the post season. Of course, they have shown that they are fully capable of all this, and more.

Cujo. That tag line of yours is stupid. Typically arrogant. You had better hope that Okposo's shoulders are pretty strong, because as talented and as hard working as he is, I sure didn't see a whole lot of effort out of the rest of your boys. The Don must've told them

that the games did not mean much this past weekend. I suppose that, as young as they are, and given the soft home schedule that they have had, they simply did not realize and were not prepared for the intensity and the firestorm that North Dakota always brings to Minneapolis.

Not to rain on any love fest, but I have not been wildly impressed with the Gophers all season. They are extremely young.

Their non-conference schedule has been soft. Their league schedule set up nicely for them, at least early. Unlike the Sioux, they managed to win the games that they should have won against the lower division teams. They have won some close games, and have not exactly been dominant over the top-tiered teams in the league thus far. They have played many of their games in the friendly confines of The John. Once again, they are relying on a roster of nearly all Minnesota kids, other than the Colorado Sieve. Woog proved for years that although that is a nice aspirational goal, it does not produce many banners. Lucia has been his typical self, and all heads were no doubt swelling. Losing Hirsch had to hurt a ton, and who knows what lingering effect that is having. Neither Briggs nor Frazee are candidates for All American. The Gophers were ripe to be picked. I am tired of reading and hearing from the Twin Cities media and some fans (not all of course) that the Gophers were victims of their own poor play and some "bad bounces." They got schooled in every aspect of the game, and at least some Gopher fans are willing to recognize it as such.

I, among many on this board, called this sweep early. Big deal. It was an obvious and easy call based on my astrology charts and league watching. It is nice to see some early naysayers back on the wagon. The Mankato series will be tough, as will they all be, for every team, from here on in. All the way through March and into April. The teams with the best talent, grit, coaching, and breaks, including the injury wagon, will likely be in St. Paul and in St. Louis.

While I always enjoy watching the Sioux school the Gophers, and while I really was hoping for a Minnesota-North Dakota shootout in the West last year, I could care less about seeing the Gophers again this year. I hope that they get beat in the first round of the playoffs. I hope that they limp into the regionals, and I hope that they have an early exit from the post season.

Cujo. That tag line of yours is stupid. Typically arrogant. You had better hope that Okposo's shoulders are pretty strong, because as talented and as hard working as he is, I sure didn't see a whole lot of effort out of the rest of your boys. The Don must've told them

that the games did not mean much this past weekend. I suppose that, as young as they are, and given the soft home schedule that they have had, they simply did not realize and were not prepared for the intensity and the firestorm that North Dakota always brings to Minneapolis.

That is a classic post well stated. The Colorado Sieve, I love it. :ohmy:

...Not to rain on any love fest, but I have not been wildly impressed with the Gophers all season. They are extremely young.

Their non-conference schedule has been soft. Their league schedule set up nicely for them, at least early. Unlike the Sioux, they managed to win the games that they should have won against the lower division teams. They have won some close games, and have not exactly been dominant over the top-tiered teams in the league thus far...

I'm with you on the dominance part (which is VERY important), but virtually every way you measure schedule strength shows the Gophers having played a top six schedule. There is nothing the Gophers, their coach, or their fans could say that would make many of you happy. The hate runs too deep.

"People were asking where Oshie and Toews were, well they should have been here this weekend."

"Again, I want to compliment North Dakota on how well they played all weekend."

....There is nothing the Gophers, their coach, or their fans could say that would make many of you happy. The hate runs too deep.

If we loved one another than what would be the point!?! :ohmy: Sports are all about good rivalrys. It would be pretty darn boring if we were cheering for both teams. :lol:

I'm with you on the dominance part (which is VERY important), but virtually every way you measure schedule strength shows the Gophers having played a top six schedule. There is nothing the Gophers, their coach, or their fans could say that would make many of you happy. The hate runs too deep.

Sorry sagard, but any schedule that is full of teams like Wayne State (MI), Ohio State, Ferris State, Alabama-Huntsville and the two traditional "powers" of the Crappy Collegiate Hockey Association (Michigan and Michigan State) cannot be considered a "top six schedule". If your overall schedule is ranked high numerically in terms of toughness, that is because the WCHA is very strong right now. It's not because you have beaten the top teams from other conferences.

I'm not making predictions on the rest of the season (anything can and usually does happen in this league), but so far your non-conference schedule has been soft.

NDH, love your post bro. What's really laughable about cujo's sig line is that one okposo (all by himself) couldn't bring down the Fighting Sioux team. (Which Oshie and Toews are part of.) The key word is team, and if minny learns to play like one they are as good as any other. The reality of the whole thing is that okposo has and will continue to walk in the shadow of Johnny Toews. Sorry cujo.

While I always enjoy watching the Sioux school the Gophers, and while I really was hoping for a Minnesota-North Dakota shootout in the West last year, I could care less about seeing the Gophers again this year. I hope that they get beat in the first round of the playoffs. I hope that they limp into the regionals, and I hope that they have an early exit from the post season. Of course, they have shown that they are fully capable of all this, and more.

ditto - but comments should not be directed at the poster - just the post or you will be accused of picking on somebody that doesn't deserve that treatment. I think that is good enough anyway.

FROM GPL

"iBorg wrote:

streakygopher wrote:

It looks like the WCHA is asserting itself once again as the nation's elite: Minnesota, UND (if they keep playing like this), Denver & SCSU.

An impartial non-Minnesotan, watching Gopher hockey in 2007, would probably leave MN off of any "elite" list.

Hope they can get their s**t together. This was the most embarassing weekend of hockey I've sat through. I think our boys would have had a serious challenge with the Sioux women's team this weekend.

I did have a hearty laugh at the "mite goalie choke" comment, though! Poor Frazee ..... no matter how he excels from now on, he will ALWAYS be remembered for that moment - like the Viking who ran the wrong way with a fumble, thinking he was getting a touchdown, was it Jim Marshall? And worse for Frazee, embarassing moements are immediately available for all to see on youtube.com. Hope this doesn't become his "defining moment."

Other than Sue fans, it will be mentioned rarely. Watch much NHL action? I guess not because Roy used to let those by a couple of times a year. The prior goal from the end line was the bad one, he neglected to cover the post. The third goal was a fluke in a meaningless game. This is coming from a Briggs guy, so if anyone was going to jump on Jeff, it'd be me."

This is from GPL - "meaninless game" from a GPL veteran is what caught my eye. I guess when they lose - they are meaningless. Funny stuff. I probably would have commented on this there instead of burdening all of you - but I'm still banned from posting on that site.

FROM GPL

"iBorg wrote:

streakygopher wrote:

It looks like the WCHA is asserting itself once again as the nation's elite: Minnesota, UND (if they keep playing like this), Denver & SCSU.

An impartial non-Minnesotan, watching Gopher hockey in 2007, would probably leave MN off of any "elite" list.

Hope they can get their s**t together. This was the most embarassing weekend of hockey I've sat through. I think our boys would have had a serious challenge with the Sioux women's team this weekend.

I did have a hearty laugh at the "mite goalie choke" comment, though! Poor Frazee ..... no matter how he excels from now on, he will ALWAYS be remembered for that moment - like the Viking who ran the wrong way with a fumble, thinking he was getting a touchdown, was it Jim Marshall? And worse for Frazee, embarassing moements are immediately available for all to see on youtube.com. Hope this doesn't become his "defining moment."

Other than Sue fans, it will be mentioned rarely. Watch much NHL action? I guess not because Roy used to let those by a couple of times a year. The prior goal from the end line was the bad one, he neglected to cover the post. The third goal was a fluke in a meaningless game. This is coming from a Briggs guy, so if anyone was going to jump on Jeff, it'd be me."

This is from GPL - "meaninless game" from a GPL veteran is what caught my eye. I guess when they lose - they are meaningless. Funny stuff. I probably would have commented on this there instead of burdening all of you - but I'm still banned from posting on that site.

Aside from the term "meaningless" and this veteran's inability to spell our name, the amusing thing that catches my eye is simply the fact that Bina's goal is not amusing to anyone other than Sioux fans and no one will mention it except Sioux fans and occurances like that are only worthy of mentioning by Sioux fans.

Roy let two in a season? Did he really? How come I've never seen replays of them? If 187 foot goals were occurring at that pace, I doubt they'd make the top 10 on SPortscenter.

SOme benign stuff but the typical gopher arrogance wins out in the end. HOWEVER, this post was made on GPL, a Gopher site, so I don't expect there to be any complimentary stuff on the Sioux.

Sorry sagard, but any schedule that is full of teams like Wayne State (MI), Ohio State, Ferris State, Alabama-Huntsville and the two traditional "powers" of the Crappy Collegiate Hockey Association (Michigan and Michigan State) cannot be considered a "top six schedule". If your overall schedule is ranked high numerically in terms of toughness, that is because the WCHA is very strong right now. It's not because you have beaten the top teams from other conferences.

I'm not making predictions on the rest of the season (anything can and usually does happen in this league), but so far your non-conference schedule has been soft.

Yes, the sioux have played such college power houses as Quinnipiac, the u-18 team, Dartmouth, and St. Lawrence :ohmy: The only common non-conference opponnet both UND & mn played is Maine. Both UND & mn got beat my maine. The reality is that both UND & mn do schedule some cupcakes for their non-conference schedule.

Jeff Dubay giving credit where credit is due also.....

This morning on the PA and Dubay show on KFAN, the biggest Goofer rube of all time (Dubay) called the Ducan, Oshie and Towes line "the best line in college hockey". :ohmy: Kudos to him for giving props to an opponent, something Coach Chia Pet has a problem with. :glare:o

This morning on the PA and Dubay show on KFAN, the biggest Goofer rube of all time (Dubay) called the Ducan, Oshie and Towes line the "best line in college hockey". :D Kudos to him for complimenting an apponent, something Coach Chia Pet has a problem with. :ohmy:

He also said the officiating was very good this weekend. :lol:

This morning on the PA and Dubay show on KFAN, the biggest Goofer rube of all time (Dubay) called the Ducan, Oshie and Towes line the "best line in college hockey". :lol: Kudos to him for complimenting an apponent, something Coach Chia Pet has a problem with. :ohmy:

I remember watching the post-game interview outside the locker room and he mentioned something about Lammy when he made glove saves and flung his arm around, I think he was a little bitter about that. Funny that he mentioned it though.

I remember watching the post-game interview outside the locker room and he mentioned something about Lammy when he made glove saves and flung his arm around, I think he was a little bitter about that. Funny that he mentioned it though.

Yep, but he also offered these nuggets:

"People were asking where Oshie and Toews were, well they should have been here this weekend."

When being pressed for Gophers excuses, he offered a couple then re-emphasized: "Again -- I want to compliment North Dakota on how well they played all weekend."

Yes, the sioux have played such college power houses as Quinnipiac, the u-18 team, Dartmouth, and St. Lawrence :ohmy: The only common non-conference opponnet both UND & mn played is Maine. Both UND & mn got beat my maine. The reality is that both UND & mn do schedule some cupcakes for their non-conference schedule.

just some records for thought...

UNDs non conference opponents excluding the u18 team equal 63-41-14

MNs non conference opponents record totals 82-78-12

I think Lammy watched video of the Denver series and was making sure O'Brien wasn't coming in with a cross check to knock the puck into the net.... :D