SiouxSports.com Forum

Another Racial Taunting Event At Ndsu

star2city

At Saturday's UND/NDSU women's basketball game at the Bison Sports Arena, there was another alleged racial taunting event. This event is described here by the Fargo Forum,

Coach accuses NDSU fan of racial slur.

This is how it was reported by the Herald:

The game was marred by apparent racial taunts by Bison fans directed at the Sioux coaching staff. UND coach Gene Roebuck complained about the apparent taunts to NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor after the game.

Roebuck refused comment after the game, as did Sioux assistants Travis Brewster and Shannon Baugh.

Bison fans mostly students are located close to the Sioux bench, closer than most venues in the NCC.

And for those 'SU fans that will be angrily responding to this racial taunting issue by saying its was only a few, why did other fans allow it to continue?

Two questions for NDSU administrators: (1) why are students allowed behind the visitor's bench, which is contradictory to NCC policy, and (2) why were UND's allotted seats in the upper reaches of the BSA, rather than at court level?

It seems NDSU has a policy of in-your-face intimidation authorized by the NDSU athletic adminstration themselves, without basic regards for sportsmanship.

When NDSU fans whine about the NCAA never choosing them for hosting playoffs, if they would ever examine their own level of class, they'd have an answer.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't this incident conveniently play into the hands of those at NDSU who want to prohibit the Sioux name from being used during sporting events there?

It's more of the "stop us before we racially taunt again" strategy, as if banning the use of the word Sioux will put an end to the inherently ingrained racism at NDSU.

Siouxrock Posted on Mar 2 2003, 10:18 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very well said

they probably have some excuse like it was only two of them but it was prolly only two at a time and the whole crowd took part 

Siouxrock, this is very hypocritical of you. What names where you calling me and saying about me on another board. I bet you don't dare say them again on this board. The post having since been erased because of their content. 99% of the companies in america would have fired you for those remarks. Racism should not be tolerated.

Doesn't this incident conveniently play into the hands of those at NDSU who want to prohibit the Sioux name from being used during sporting events there?

It will be interesting to see the public response by the NDSU athletic department, the NDSU Student Senate, and the NCC commissioner. The first two as a hypocrisy check, and the commissioner to see if he really has the fortitude to deal with this issue.

Fan behavior has been an serious issue at Vermillion (BB and FB), Greeley (FB), and at NDSU (BB and FB). It's time this kind of behavior stops.

If NDSU fans don't think this is serious, they should check with the commisioners of the Horizon, Gateway, Mid-Continent, and Missouri Valley Conferences. They would not touch a school with this kind of reputation.

Fan behavior has been an serious issue at Vermillion (BB and FB), Greeley (FB), and at NDSU (BB and FB). It's time this kind of behavior stops.

Ummm, isn't fan behavior in Grand Forks suspect, as well? I seem to remember the UND fans damaging the Fargodome in excess of $100,000. I seem to remember the UND students throwing batteries at student-athletes. I remember Brewster shoving a fan at the game yesterday. Maybe criminal actvity is not seen as "inappropriate behavior" in Grand Forks? ???

It will be interesting to see the public response by the NDSU athletic department, ........

If NDSU fans don't think this is serious, ......

Maybe you should have read the article you linked to:

Taylor said Baugh and UND assistant Travis Brewster identified the person who allegedly made the remark. Taylor said he spoke with the person, a former NDSU student, between the women

Ummm, isn't fan behavior in Grand Forks suspect, as well? I seem to remember the UND fans damaging the Fargodome in excess of $100,000. I seem to remember the UND students throwing batteries at student-athletes. I remember Brewster shoving a fan at the game yesterday. Maybe criminal actvity is not seen as "inappropriate behavior" in Grand Forks? ???

Is that really the best you can come up with? The old "yeah, but what about what YOU did" response? If you think that two allegations of racial taunts at NDSU games in one year isn't a cause for criticism, then I guess that's your prerogative, misguided as it may be. I don't think anyone has said that all UND fans are saints. Not that it has any relevance to the issue of racial slurs at NDSU games.

It  is fairly ironic having UND comment on racial issues. ???

Umm... the entire point of this thread (and others that have preceeded it) is that many Sioux fans think it's ironic that NDSU is commenting on racial issues outside of its control while its own house is in such disarray.

After years of having no complaints, NDSU is suddenly wringing their hands over UND's nickname right as NDSU is suffering highly publicized racial sensitivity problems among its fans and on its own campus. NDSU has no control over UND's nickname or logo, but it's sure an easy way to try to look tough without addressing NDSU's own problems. It's stunningly similar to the situation at SCSU -- when racism on your campus get out of hand and embarrassing, speak out against Native American mascots/logos.

The whole situation was a very embarrassing one for NDSU. How can they let their students be literally 4-5 feet from the UND's coaches chairs...and the NDSU students could literally stand up and lean over and yell right in their face. Roebuck basically had to be separated from them by Brewster in the closing seconds of the overtime, I am sure Roebuck confronted them because of the racial slurs. It was a shining moment for NDSU!

It is fairly ironic having UND comment on racial issues. ???

Wow, haven't we gotten on our high horse! FWIW, I'm of the opinion this kind of undeserved cheap shot should be grounds for removal of posting privileges. If you want to post this tripe, go to your Bison board.

bisonguy, I don't know what the official stance is. I just thought that the setup was asking for problems. Those problems would happen at most schools, including UND. That is why UND changed the seating at BB games. I remember when UND allowed the students, usually the FB players, to sit behind NDSU's bench and their were problems. I don't know if it was UND or a NCC rule change. It just seems to make sense that a school would not make it so easy for a fan to be basically three steps from yelling into the opposing bench's face. It makes it too easy for a couple morons to make for an embarassing situation for the school.

star2city: I do not think anything NDSU would do to deal with the matter would be good enough for you, short of closing the school. At least NDSU is doing something about it. Hopefully this will not happen again. Racism and Bigotry should not be tolerated.

Also it must be nice to know that UND fans can post slander and bigotry on other boards, and come back to this board and be safe. The bigotry was directed at me. I know all UND fans are not like this person, but they must feel safe here.

WDAY-TV and KFGO-AM are reporting that the "fan" (and I use that term so as to not use more appropriate terms that may get *-ed out by the board) and the NDSU Athletic Department will be formally apologizing to the University of North Dakota.

BisonMav: Look in the hockey forum and you'll see 'siouxrock' was put on notice last week.

The BSA was packed, It was rowdy too. The only thing I noticed, besides two great basketball games between equally matched teams, was a lot of Sioux suck and Sioux suck *&!# cheering going on. Along with "Air ball" and some great cheerleading from a very athletic bunch it got loud in there.

You hate to comment about the officiating, but it was refreshing when the one guy got overruled on a terrible out of bounds call. The men's game got late because of the women's OT, but that game was played at a much slower pace too. I don't think regulation was over at 8. Some fans had to leave the men's game and that took away from the intensity a bit.

Apparently it did get a little out of control, but it would be very nice if the sue coaching staff would stop interacting with the crowd. They really need to develop a more mature and sophisticated game persona. On the other hand, the crowd should keep it focused on the game.

I think Taylors reaction is very level headed. He may be able to improve the situation by some type of reorganization and that is good.

On the other hand he is not elevating this into a crisis. Any time opposing players or coaches begin to interact with a rowdy crowd there is going to be trouble. If they were having the types of problems that led to verbal assaults and physical confrontation they should call for security, but many of these assistants are no older emotionally than the students and that leads to escalation.

JBB - Who are you referring to when you say sue?

I sure hope that isn't a discriminatory comment toward the "Sioux" coaching staff.

What does NDSU want from UND next? That we only hire white coaches so we don't provoke the fans into saying racist and discriminatory chants and cheers.

I'm sure all this happened because of the Sioux nickname right?

Give me a break.

You are going to have to refresh some memories on this board, mine any way, of when UND fans damaged the Fargodome in excess of $100,000?