SiouxSports.com Forum

Another Racial Taunting Event At Ndsu

star2city

JBB - Who  are you referring to when you say sue?

I sure hope that isn't a discriminatory comment toward the "Sioux" coaching staff.

What does NDSU want from UND next? That we only hire white coaches so we don't provoke the fans into saying racist and discriminatory chants and cheers.

I'm sure all this happened because of the Sioux nickname right?

Give me a break.

NDSU doesnt want anything from you except mature and professional behavior from your coaching staff. I dont think Saturday night was a model for coaching behavior.

The recent history of your coaching staff isnt good:

1) Lennon with that crazy job search

2) Hockey coach/Ed Schultz

3) Crowd interaction/escalation at BSA

At least Rocky kept his cool and didnt call you "knuckleheads" until the Forum was interviewing him after the game. He did not interact with the crowd.

I think the responsibility of maintaining equilibrium with the crowd is at the descretion of the coaches. They did not handle that situation well and the results were predictable.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that darn Lennon. It was a crazy, hectic time here in Grand Forks. I don't know if the FB program or maybe even the whole Athletic dept. will ever recover! Those were wild, wild times here in the Grand Cities. And that darn Blaiser, telling off an a**hole, nobody has ever wanted to do that to Eddie.

And maybe, just maybe, if NDSU fans didn't act like morons and NDSU had seating that didn't allow these incidents....ahh, hell forget it. I am sure we should blame all this on the use of the Fighting Sioux name.

I was glad to see the NDSU students could change their minds so quickly about not using the Sioux name and now being able the chant "Sioux suck sh*t" so often. At least they aren't narrow-minded and can change their views.

One more time - why don't we all just ignore JBB!  It is foolish to let him get under our skin and even more foolish to try to reason with him.

As I have advised earlier, if everyone ignores him - he will go away!

All I can say is that my personal enjoyment of reading posts on this site is greatly enhanced by NOT reading anything written by JBB. Not that it's any of my business, but for what it's worth I would have absolutely no problem with the moderator of an NDSU site banishing a UND equivalent of JBB, otherwise known as a "bizarro" JBB for any Seinfeld fans out there. ???

That's not to take the focus from fan behavior, ....

And that's what got us to this conversation.

I wish Mr. Taylor all the best in his attempt to fix the root cause, because it's not the UND (or the Minnesota State - Mankato) staff.

I disagree. To deny their culpability is to say no solution will ever be achieved. NDSU is committed to doing what they can, but believe it or not, they dont have any control over other coaches behavior. These are profesional people that should be taught to handle difficult situations. The potential for them exists in every stadium in the conference. Knowing how to handle those situations could prove to be very helpfull. Your coaches enteracting with several fans whose behavior was less than boarsih was the catalist that escalated the situation to physical and verbal assult. Too bad. NDSU will do its part. But accountablility goes all the way around.

Root cause: Some NDSU fans.

I'd much rather be in Mr. Thomas' position (something like "People, next time, tell the refs and call security.") than Mr. Taylor's (something like "Dear UND, I'm sorry that some of my fans, well, you can dress them up but you can't take them out in public. Again, sorry, and I'll keep trying to fix it.")

That is especially true when you consider that, apparently, Mr. Taylor's actions from last semester (the Mankato incident) do not appear to have mattered (recent incident). Maybe Mr. Taylor needs to learn from Mr. Thomas and sit in the sections in question for a game or two. (Thomas did this not for anything as untoward as this situation, but to try to get students to sit down so others around them could see as well.)

Haven't I said before that I wish all fans would cheer 'for' their team and not 'against' the other?

The Mankato coach and players did the same thing.

add to that 2 events with UND. What is the common denominator? NDSU. More specifically Gene Taylor.

There are a lot of good people who support the Bison who don't deserve the press these events are generating. After the first incident dating back to the Mankato incident there should have been very severe consequences (it wouldn't have hurt to have had the consequences be very public too). Instead you have JBB type attitudes of "they brought it on themselves". THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION THAT IS NOT THE POINT THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE ------ there have now been 3 racial controversies at NDSU, all with apologies but nothing leading to positive results. Plain and simple, lack of leadership. Put in place a "zero" tolerance and those comments aren't made, let those comments continue and then issue an apology after the fact and the current uproar/situation in Fargo is the result.

The UND coaches did not interact with the crowd until an NDSU fan felt it was OK for him to put his arm around one of the female UND coaches and make a deragatory comment about the team. That is when the other coach stepped in. He only stepped in to get the fan off of the female coach. I'm not sure if this was before or after the fans were spitting on the UND coaches and team.

I have no info to back either side of $100,000 worth of damage in the Dome by Sioux fans...but lets say that is true. How in the hell can that happen....did the Dome happen to forget to hire security!?! This would seem almost impossible. Once a few were destroyed, I would think that someone, anyone, would have noticed this. The details just don't add up on how this could of happened. Most of a section of seats and no one noticed this going on, that would take quite a while to do.

I disagree. To deny their culpability is to say no solution will ever be achieved. NDSU is committed to doing what they can, but believe it or not, they dont have any control over other coaches behavior. These are profesional people that should be taught to handle difficult situations. The potential for them exists in every stadium in the conference. Knowing how to handle those situations could prove to be very helpfull. Your coaches enteracting with several fans whose behavior was less than boarsih was the catalist that escalated the situation to physical and verbal assult. Too bad. NDSU will do its part. But accountablility goes all the way around.

So what you are saying JBB is, Buy a ticket @ NDSU and you can

spew vile all you want? ;)

I think NDSU needs the help from B.R.I.D.G.E.S more than UND. ;)

Note to Bridges:

Sleep with Bison,end up out to pasture. ;)

bison guy, Mullet and Arfo?You have been hanging around JBB way to much. ???

Hats off to the Score board operator at NDSU. Did anyone else see the camera shot of

Bison vs UND.Pretty Classless. :0 Gene Taylor you are way to much. ;)

star2city: I do not think anything NDSU would do to deal with the matter would be good enough for you, short of closing the school. At least NDSU is doing something about it.

NDSU's seating arrangement at basketball games has been an issue for years. Other NCC ADs and coaches have firmly requested that NDSU change its seating arrangement, but it seems NDSU preferred intimidation at any cost. Their callousness about the safety and welfare of opposing teams is reprehensible and as such their decisions are accessory to anything that transpired Saturday night. If that is not incompetence by NDSU leadership, what is?

If you want to accuse me of ill will toward NDSU, fine. But sadly, you are just participating in another line of denials by NDSU and some of its supporters. I am sure most NDSU fans are absolutely appalled by this behavior, and will be demanding changes. It is unfortunate that it takes incidents like Saturday nights to force changes that could easily have been initiated by NDSU years ago.

UND 92,96

Maybe I read it a little too fast. I saw names of some alleged perps, and Eddie said there was no mention of names in the media.

Riverman,

Mullet and Afro are both racially stereotypical hairstyles, as witnessed here-

EVIDENCE MULLET IS RACIALLY OFFENSIVE

Alas, I cannot find anything about the damage caused during the first Bison/Sioux FB game in the Fargodome. All I have to go by is the memory of The Forum article, and the word of the head of event staff. He said the worst two things to happen at the Fargodome were the flooding and the first meeting of the Bison/Sioux. So, take that for what it's worth(little to nothing).

Couple of observations/questions- Living in North Dakota, and having been exposed to few African Americans, do the people of North Dakota truly know what is racist? Can anybody truly make that call without having much exposure to other races? Most of the area west of Minneapolis appears to be 90-95% Caucausian.

A word only has power if one allows it to. Case in point, the "N" word. In the matter of years, it went from being a derogatory racist term, to being a friendly word frequently used by those it once was meant to demean.

Oh yeah, we were talking about NDSU. I think Gene Taylor is taking effective steps to dealing with the problem. I saw where the visting team will no longer be using the same entrance to the court as NDSU does.

Sicatoka,

I agree.

I have a problem with a hairstyle comment being deemed racist. Nearly anybody could come up with a "more racist" comment than, "Nice Afro!" I grew up in Ohio, with a school comprised of over half African-American students. The African-American kids would joke around with each other and the Caucausian kids with what could be considered racist remarks a lot worse than "Nice Afro!"

Well, it's been almost 12 hours since an NDSU fan has come up with an excuse for what happened on Saturday night. I guess they need their rest.

bisonguy

I have a problem with a "Sioux suck" comment being deemed racist. Nearly anybody could come up with a "more racist" comment than "Sioux Suck!"

But it seems NDSU has a problem with "Sioux Suck" because NDSU doesn't want to use the name Sioux anymore because it "provokes" students into saying Sioux Suck which is deemed racist by NDSU.

And the beat goes on...

I have a problem with a hairstyle comment being deemed racist. Nearly anybody could come up with a "more racist" comment than, "Nice Afro!"

If that's all that was said, I agree with you. However, to the JBBs of the world, anything a minority deems offensive automically is offensive and, therefore, racist.

I also agree with Sicatoka that any fan who touches a player or coach is out of line and should be dealt with accordingly.

This was my full statement stat2city

star2city: I do not think anything NDSU would do to deal with the matter would be good enough for you, short of closing the school. At least NDSU is doing something about it. Hopefully this will not happen again. Racism and Bigotry should not be tolerated.
Not your convienient shortened version

star2city Posted on Mar 3 2003, 07:57 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (BisonMav @ Mar 3 2003, 06:26 AM)

star2city: I do not think anything NDSU would do to deal with the matter would be good enough for you, short of closing the school. At least NDSU is doing something about it.

Where is my denial? I am just saying if NDSU did everything you wanted them to do, that still would not be enough for you. You would still want them to make more changes such as maybe making sure all the cheers are for positive plays, no booing, seatbelts for fans, etc.