SiouxSports.com Forum

Another Racial Taunting Event At Ndsu

star2city

Spike Lee is scheduled to be at UND this semester maybe someone will bring up this controversy and ask his opinion. Not to say that he is the ultimate authority on this issue, but I would imagine that he'd have some interesting thoughts on this situation.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a person that dated Spike Lee's wife when she lived in the Milwaukee area, and before she met Lee. He has no ties to NDSU or UND, and said he would never live in ND. He said if that comment "Nice Afro" was all that was said, people are being too sensative. But of course we were not there, and do not know the whole story from both sides.

Do you have an official account of what happened. Reading the Forum article, it says the UND coach pushed Miller, The Herald says the UND coach was touched.

The Forum and the Pioneer Press says "Hey coach, nice afro" was the comment. What did the Herald say that the comment was?

Tomorrow morning on 1310 KNOX Mike Mc. will have Gene Taylor on -- some time after 9 am is the best I can tell you time wise as I missed the scheduled time (he's on 9 am to 10:30 am). Roger Thomas was on with Mike this morning.

I also have to agree that the Afro term is certainly not the worst that could of have happened....but what I would like is the Bison fans to maybe realize out of this(concerning the Sioux name), is that the political correctness and people wanting to be able to call themselves a victim goes overboard much too often....and this goes back to the Sioux name that so many of them are so strongly against. People can turn damn near anything in to prejudice or racism these days. Bison fans and many other groups overreact to use of the name, probably like the Afro term was overreacted to.

As far as the rest of the students actions, those were the bigger problem. I just can't believe that a school that deemed themselves as such a classy institution could not have already changed this before it produced an incident. It makes me wonder what else they have missed in having their "vision" of D1.

I do not endorse everything NDSU does. But Bison fans this, and Bison fans that, covers a large range of people. Is there not a movement on the UND campus to change the UND nickname? I do not think the statement that "UND fans want their nickname changed" would apply to all UND fans. PC has gone to far, I think common sense should prevail. The Majority on both sides probably lean that way.

I agree with BisonMav that lumping all (or most) Bison fans into an anti-Sioux nickname coalition is a bit premature. I don't really care what UND's nickname is, and I would guess (maybe I'm being a bit premature) that most Bison fans feel the same. I know the Bison student senate passed the stupid resolution concerning the Sioux name, but I guess that's the world we live in. Style over substance. In saying that, I do know that when accreditation boards come to visit campus, NDSU generally gets high marks for their facilities, quality of education, etc., but get knocked pretty hard for lack of diversity (whatever that means). Maybe the resolution was a way to get these boards to consider that NDSU is aware of the situation and is doing something about it.

Here's my impression of this thread:

serious talk,

serious talk,

serious talk,

kinda smacky talk,

serious talk,

serious talk,

NDSU and UND fans agreeing,

serious talk,

BAM!

siourock strikes!

Good one. That could apply to about 10 threads on this message board right now, minus the UND/NDSU fans agreeing part.

???

It's gotta be kind of fun, though, to have just discovered the internet as a 10 year old. Plus his heart is at least in the right place, being a Sioux fan and all. He/she just needs to take some phonics classes (I think I remember that started in about 5th grade.) and pass a couple of Friday spelling tests and in about 7 or 8 years maybe he/she will be able to add some constructive conversation to these message boards. ;) Anyone have odds on that occurring? ;)

NDSU's Student Newspaper's Account

I don't agree with the idea that opposing coaches and players should be taunted but for crying loud Roebuck makes Rocky look like Ghandi. When Rocky had a beer can thrown at him, did he start yelling obscenities or run into the crowd to confront the drunk little frat boy who launched it? Nope. When his assistants had stuff thrown at them, did they yell obscenities or go into the crowd and kick some ass? Nope. They kept their heads down, made no response, and didn't go crying to the media. In fact, neither incident made the news at all. If it had happened in Fargo, it would have been an AP newswire story. When the Fargodome got trashed, did the Forum run editorials about how UND fans were little better than soccer hooligans? Nope. I could go on.

Dearest 'siouxrock':

You've shown flashes of being able to add something positive to a discussion but you choose revert back to 10-year-old (and I think that may be insulting 10-year-olds) status.

I know you can do better. I've seen you do it, and this facade isn't working any more.

Quite simply, grow up.

tony,

As I've discussed with other NDSU fans here, objective fact is all we want. Sorry, but a student columnist writing his weekly opinion piece, not a news story, who sat in the NDSU student section, is not going to meet that definition. (For example, the columnist may not have heard it, but does that mean it did not happen?)

If there is a problem, in his letter of apology to UND that Mr. Taylor will be writing, maybe he should ask for an apology from those UND coaches if the accusations in a student columnist opinion piece do have a root in fact.

Again, I'd have an easier time taking the opinions of a student columnist to heart if this incident had not been preceded by the Minnesota State - Mankato incident.

Additionally, shouting words is OK, even questionable ones, or so other NDSU fans have put forth. The line is touching. There has been no refutation by an objective source that a fan touched a UND coach (first).

Again, I'd like the objective facts.

NDSU's Student Newspaper's Account

There are some fundamental differences between NDSU and UND. Believe it or not, UND fans DID damage the FargoDome and, no, it didn't make the paper because the City of Fargo didn't want to report it. UND fans have thrown crap (ice chunks, beer cans, etc) at Bison coaches and the NDSU coaches did not respond by going into the crowd and/or shouting obscenities - they just kept their heads down and kept on walking. That didn't make the paper either.

Fact is, for all the talking about class I hear from UND fans, the ones who talk about class seem to be the ones who exhibit the least amount of it.

We're supposed to take what some student writer who calls himself "Sports Geek" as gospel? :(

And the drivel about "the City of Fargo didn't want to report it"? OK. Whatever you say. I suppose it is common knowledge to the Bison faithful that UND fans caused upwards of $100,000 of damage at ONE FOOTBALL GAME and that was a fact that didn't make the news because "the City of Fargo didn't want to report it". That is pretty laughable. ???

Yeah, those Bison coaches sure know how to turn the other cheek. If only the Sioux coaches could all learn to act like they do. ???

What else can you come up with to justify the allegations of racist comments coming from NDSU fans? I should point out that it wasn't only at this game, but since you are an "Insider", you already knew that. ???

tony,

If these things are happening, maybe they should be objectively reported. Fargo based reporters were at each event, yes? So where are the reports? Until that objective reporting happens, what you are putting out are accusations with no way to corroborate them.

$100,000 dollars in damage to FargoDome? Wouldn't that be an insurance claim? Even if Fargo/NDSU didn't want the story out, please don't tell me the insurance company that had to pay the claim wouldn't want that out there (so they could raise rates in both Fargo and GF). I'd really like to see the news report on this damage.

Again, I'd like objective facts. (Both of us are good at spinning things in our favor.)

Oh, all these posts along the lines of "NDSU is inherently-racist" and now you want some objectivity? Please.

Clayton, I'm not trying to "justify the allegations of racist comments" because I have no idea what you are trying to say. Am I trying to justify shouting racist comments at a coach? No. She reported herself that is was a racial comment (whatever that is) and that the comment was along the lines of "Nice afro." That's almost verbatim from the Grand Forks Herald. That's not a racist comment. Can you justify calling NDSU inherently racist because a fan yelled, "Nice afro?" I mean, what else are you basing this off of.

One thing I know is that the moron or morons at the Mankato game were not employees of NDSU. Gene Roebuck is an employee at UND.

I haven't made those.

However, the track record of accusations as objectively reported in the Fargo Forum over the last six months (vs. MSU-Mankato, vs. UND) is less than positive.

tony, you need to ignore 'siouxrock' (we do, and the moderator here has let is be known in a hockey thread last week that 'siouxrock' is being watched closely), and spend more time in that new chair. ???

Oh, all these posts along the lines of "NDSU is inherently-racist" and now you want some objectivity? Please.

I was just applying a little JBB ointment to the wound. Feels good, doesn't it?

HAHAHAAHA! Now that's a good one, PCM. However you got a lot of support for your ironic comment.

For Sicatoka, there were reports on the damage to the Fargodome - it was endzone seating back when the Dome first opened. This was all pre-internet so I can't link to the original story. I'm also sorry to say that I can't supply video of UND fans putting big old dents into the seating or link to digitized copies of the job cost estimates for the repairs or tell you where to get copies of notarized accounts from at least ten impartial eyewitnesses to satisfy everybody's thirst for the truth. Besides, I'm not sure that UND fans did it, I was just trying to see how classy people would react to the accusation. I actually think that NDSU fans probably did it ??? Strangely, I get the feeling that I won't have to dig up all the supporting material for that statement because, as an NDSU fan, my word can be taken as absolute fact when I'm critical of NDSU but not when I'm supportive. That's odd "logic." But not as odd as the logic supporting the conclusion that silence by the Fargo media about incidents involving UND coaches and players must mean that the incidents never happened. Now that is really odd considering that the Rocky's staff being pelted or the beer can things never made the news but Rocky using the word, "knucklehead," sure did.

Oh well, I've had my fun for the day.