SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Finley

bubble874

Actually, guys like Pat O'Leary and Marc Ranfranz would argue with you about guys never getting kicked to the curb in D1 college hockey. Others leave UND on their own when they realize that somewhere else may be better for them (Alexander, Possein, Yurecko, Byuglein, etc). Maybe Finley would do better in a different situation where he could better utilize his size, like joining a basketball team. (..........drum rim shot in background)

Which is why the coaches shouldn't be ripped when players don't reach or play to their potential. I swear that some of you would shoot Grandpa if his prized chickens stopped laying the eggs you enjoy with breakfast. It was a big recruiting class last season and you have to accept there will be duds in with the blue chippers.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm keeping my mouth shut atleast for today.

This stuns the hell out of me.

This thread was custom made for you, Lives-to-play. Where else can you blame all the world's problems on one guy so easily where you have posters such as LeftyZl stating that they won't defend Joe for fear of getting blasted?

We already have a fire hakstol thread and a thread that makes it seem like they'd like Hakstol gone but they are afraid to say it (How else could you explain a thread comparing Blais to Hakstol 3 years after Blais left?). We've already had a thread that basically blasted Lee.

This is your one shot. The fact that you are not taking it is truly astounding. I applaud your sudden influx of class.

As for the topic of the thread, could care less. I do find it somewhat assuring that all our defensive problems and, hence, why we are losing, is because of Joe Finley. Getting rid of Joe would mean that we'd suddenly start stopping weak goals, scoring more than 2-3 goals per game, making crisp passes, and playing a full 60 minutes of hockey. I mean, every time Phillippe gets beaten 5 hole, it's because Joe Finley didn't lay out a guy. Or we don't score goals because Joe Finley was on the ice sucking the willpower of the team. Joe Finley puts his stick out to disrupt passes between teammates too.

Please. :blush:

This stuns the hell out of me.

This thread was custom made for you, Lives-to-play. Where else can you blame all the world's problems on one guy so easily where you have posters such as LeftyZl stating that they won't defend Joe for fear of getting blasted?

We already have a fire hakstol thread and a thread that makes it seem like they'd like Hakstol gone but they are afraid to say it (How else could you explain a thread comparing Blais to Hakstol 3 years after Blais left?). We've already had a thread that basically blasted Lee.

This is your one shot. The fact that you are not taking it is truly astounding. I applaud your sudden influx of class.

As for the topic of the thread, could care less. I do find it somewhat assuring that all our defensive problems and, hence, why we are losing, is because of Joe Finley. Getting rid of Joe would mean that we'd suddenly start stopping weak goals, scoring more than 2-3 goals per game, making crisp passes, and playing a full 60 minutes of hockey. I mean, every time Phillippe gets beaten 5 hole, it's because Joe Finley didn't lay out a guy. Or we don't score goals because Joe Finley was on the ice sucking the willpower of the team. Joe Finley puts his stick out to disrupt passes between teammates too.

Please. :blush:

*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap* ;)

I'm chiming in her to add to the clapping. I am sick to death of the age old "it's the defense's fault we are losing" excuse. So Finley makes some mistakes. So do other players. Why aren't we scoring more? Can't blame that on Joe, can you?

Seems to me hockey is a team sport-win as a team, lose as a team, but it takes everyone on the ice contributing 150% and from what I've seen, we don't have that this year.

I'm chiming in her to add to the clapping. I am sick to death of the age old "it's the defense's fault we are losing" excuse. So Finley makes some mistakes. So do other players. Why aren't we scoring more? Can't blame that on Joe, can you?

Seems to me hockey is a team sport-win as a team, lose as a team, but it takes everyone on the ice contributing 150% and from what I've seen, we don't have that this year.

You've heard the addage about the two roads.

Well, it's easier to point fingers at people for "dropping the ball" than it is to pick those people up when they are down and support them. Those that do support them are seen, often times, as homers, rubes, idiots, and generally "blind to the truth."

Well, consider me blind to the truth because I will support Finley, Lee, Radke, and every individual player regardless of what I think of the team's effort (which is less than satisfactory, by the way) regardless of what those who take the "easy road" wish to say.

Capitals23 is right:

Toews should be producing more than he is, no question. Hakstol obviously can't get these guys to play 60 minutes each night, and nobody can figure out why. Lammy (just because I like nicknames ;) ) is letting in pee wee league goals... the cheesey trickling wrister on Friday made me ill. So yes, I agree that there are problems abounding on this team.

Now, to get back on topic, what good has Finley done this year? He's terribly slow to the puck, up the ice, in the defensive zone. He's likely had more passes picked than most of the rest on the team. His size does nothing for defense, and less for intimidation, because he doesn't back it up with physical play. Yes, I'm just a frustrated fan, but the big kid is pissin' me off. :blush:

Ok, I don't think finley is the whole reason the sioux are struggling. I have never thought this nor will I ever think this.

With that said, he has never really impressed me. I don't really like how he plays, I notice him turn the puck over alot and he is a liability against faster teams.

To say the team would be great with-out him is a joke, but with that said I would never take him over Radke (who was a healthy scratch last weekend).

My stance has always been that he is the worst defensman on the team just because against the better teams he just doesn't have the footspeed or the puck handling skills to not be called a liability.

To summerize: He isn't the whole problem, but he is part of it. The team has alot of issues and he is just one of them.

I'm on pin's and needle's here. Please tell us all what the other "issues" are. I just need to know.

Well in my opinion, the power-play in inconsistent. The PK is inconsistent. Besides Bina, Radke, Chorney all of the other defensemen are playing below where they should be. Lee is coughing it up almost as much as Finley, Jones takes untimely penalties, Radke takes a few too many penalties (although I like how he actually plays physical and I like his skill level), Goaltending has been sketchy at best. Both Phil and Greico have been suspect. Coachs are being out coached. Watkins, kozek,kaip have been off this year along with others. The team is having trouble putting together solid line combos. Oshie has been a little banged up this year. Toews is snake bit, obviously the best forward on the team but hasn't been burying it this year. Porter has played well at times but has lacked consistency. The team is losing battles they shouldn't lose. Defense aren't allowing the goalies to see the puck.

These are some of the other issues.

Well in my opinion, the power-play in inconsistent. The PK is inconsistent. Besides Bina, Radke, Chorney all of the other defensemen are playing below where they should be. Lee is coughing it up almost as much as Finley, Jones takes untimely penalties, Radke takes a few too many penalties (although I like how he actually plays physical and I like his skill level), Goaltending has been sketchy at best. Both Phil and Greico have been suspect. Coachs are being out coached. Watkins, kozek,kaip have been off this year along with others. The team is having trouble putting together solid line combos. Oshie has been a little banged up this year. Toews is snake bit, obviously the best forward on the team but hasn't been burying it this year. Porter has played well at times but has lacked consistency. The team is losing battles they shouldn't lose. Defense aren't allowing the goalies to see the puck.

Is that all?:blush:? How about this too.....the crowd noise has sucked, watching Don Adam ref has stunk, the mental breakdowns with 'too many men on the ice' penalties are unacceptable, but the glow sticks were kinda cool!

Tell that to the people that had to pick them up off the ice.

you give us something to throw expect it to end up on the ice. ;) It did get a little annoying especially when people get throwing them right before and right after the anthem. Though, it was a little funny when they were chucking them at the Badger players. I will say this though, I want to pin a medal on whoever hit Don Adam in the neck after the game with one of them.

you give us something to throw expect it to end up on the ice. :( It did get a little annoying especially when people get throwing them right before and right after the anthem. Though, it was a little funny when they were chucking them at the Badger players. I will say this though, I want to pin a medal on whoever hit Don Adam in the neck after the game with one of them.

Wow, what a bunch of class. I wish we could fill the arena with fans like this. :blush:

Watkins, kozek,kaip have been off this year along with others.

I thought Watkins has taken a nice step forward this year. He's much more of a force on the ice as a 2nd line player, whereas most of last year he was just "there" as a 4th liner.

I agree on the others, though. Maybe with Kozek it's a matter of fitting him into the right role.

WOW. Some things I can actually agree with! Untimely penalties are killing this team. "PK is inconsistent?" Don't we actually have to HAVE ONE to be inconsistent with? Seriously, the PK is the worst I've EVER seen it. Usually our powerplay sucks but our PK isn't half bad (never have I seen it lead the league, but it's never been this awful either).

I'm not sure I agree with everything, but I too was confused to return to read how Radke was benched this weekend. I seriously believe he's progressed so much since he was a freshman that he'd be one of the last people to be benched. Even with his recent drought, I still think Porter has done a magnificent job thus far. I hope he comes out of his funk soon.

WOW. Some things I can actually agree with! Untimely penalties are killing this team. "PK is inconsistent?" Don't we actually have to HAVE ONE to be inconsistent with? Seriously, the PK is the worst I've EVER seen it. Usually our powerplay sucks but our PK isn't half bad (never have I seen it lead the league, but it's never been this awful either).

I'm not sure I agree with everything, but I too was confused to return to read how Radke was benched this weekend. I seriously believe he's progressed so much since he was a freshman that he'd be one of the last people to be benched. Even with his recent drought, I still think Porter has done a magnificent job thus far. I hope he comes out of his funk soon.

I think for UND to compete with the Minnesota's the Maine's the BC's, Radke has got to be in there. He skates way to well for him to be riding the pine or sitting in the stands. I think Porter has had some great games and he needs to be there for the team to make a run. I like Genoway at the point, skilled and poised. I think the goaltending will come around, I just don't know if phil is healthy. I think after the break give him a few games and if he hasn't responded shut him down. With that said, I think he needs to be the guy if UND is going to make a run. Same with Oshie, I just don't think he is 100% and since he plays such a physical game if he isn't healthy he just can't be as effective.

Powerplay: Got to have Radke and Genoway on the points, it all starts with the Quarterbacks and these are the two most offensively talented D on the team.

I'd like to see the D pairs run like this:

Chorney/Radke- Chorney is steady, Radke is alittle more unpredictable but has great offensive up-side and maybe the most physical D on the team.

Bina/Jones-Bina has been steady , Jones hasn't.

Genoway/Lee- I think these two would work well if Lee stays back and let's genoway do his thing.

Nice thing about this thread: no one's bashing Brian Lee! :glare:

Mike you must have known I would find your thread hahaha #22 and #2 have been brutal. #22 needs

to have someone drop the gloves on him to wake him up .......... #2 should drop the gloves and maybe

that would inspire the rest of the team ............. GO SIOUX!

Mike you must have known I would find your thread hahaha #22 and #2 have been brutal. #22 needs

to have someone drop the gloves on him to wake him up .......... #2 should drop the gloves and maybe

that would inspire the rest of the team ............. GO SIOUX!

Not sure what having #22 fight would do. Fights in college are seldom worth watching, few players have alot of experiance fighting. Not to say they can't be good, I have seen a few good ones. But for people to rip the helmets off and really go at it is very rare.

The thing about Lee has always been him turning the puck over, he has good up-side as he is decent skater with good size. He is just not consistent.

When ever I rank the defenseman I usaully have him close to the bottom, but ahead of finley.

I think it will be interesting to see how he plays in the World Junior Tourney.

Not sure what having #22 fight would do. Fights in college are seldom worth watching, few players have alot of experiance fighting. Not to say they can't be good, I have seen a few good ones. But for people to rip the helmets off and really go at it is very rare.

The thing about Lee has always been him turning the puck over, he has good up-side as he is decent skater with good size. He is just not consistent.

When ever I rank the defenseman I usaully have him close to the bottom, but ahead of finley.

I think it will be interesting to see how he plays in the World Junior Tourney.

My point was something like that (fight) on the ice can sometimes get the players attention and jump start the rest of the team. Yes it will be interesting to see how he does at the juniors. I agree with you .......... he has good size but won't put a body on anybody at all ........ he handles the puck well but can't seem to push the puck up the ice anymore , all of his passes the past couple of weeks have been lateral to his D partner ...... and yes a "decent" skater

Did anyone else see the game winning goal given up by Finley??? 15 feet off your man that ends up scoring the game winner top shelf is not going to cut it. Finley needs to start playing like Bina, who happens to bring the most physical game and is one of the smallest frames on the ice. Pretty sure some butts need to be sat in order to get this D situation straightened out. Just because your an NHL draft pick does not mean you get playing time night in and night out regardless of performance. This is a disgrace to our team, history, and tradition.

I said this same thing a few weeks ago (actually I was even alittle kinder) and got jumped on.