SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs Badgers

Sioux-cia

also is anyone really wishing that we could have done anything to keep parise here

Don't know if there's anything that could have been done. JPar was ready to move on skill wise. Where it would have been nice to see him back for one more year, it's old news....he's not here so we can't really dwell on it. We need to figure out what to do with what we do have.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where was radke tonight?

Radke was right where he should be, sitting as far away from the ice as possible. I'm glad Hakstol finally saw the light and sat him, lets hope that he stays as a "healthy scratch" the rest of the year. I guess it would be safe to say that I'd feel more comfortable with a folding chair or an orange cone out there, but thats just me.

Well I just got back from the game so I'll give my opinion. The second goal Phil gave up was extremely weak. I think it definitely did not help his chances of playing the third period. The third goal was not really his fault. He did drop down early but it was put in the top right corner. Very nice shot. However, we got totally mugged on the attacking end and we got out of position which led to the rush. So basically Adam cost us that goal. Also Wisconsin tried running the goalie alot. If that keeps up tomorrow, there might be some extra entertainment.

We had many chances to tie at the end and could not put it in. The chemistry is not there. Hopefully they can figure it out. I was impressed with Bina tonight but also was impressed with Chorney's shot. That thing is a laser and gives us a good chance to tip it in. He needs to shoot more when he is in the zone. Also the penalty Porter took in third was idiotic. We were already down 1 man and he wasn't out of position or anything and he just slashed the guy in the open. Pretty sure you need to keep your cool in that situation.

Anyways I guess we gotta hope for a split tomorrow. I am getting tired of also having to be optimistic about the season. They need to start showing us they want to win like they did in the Sat. CC game.

Radke was right where he should be, sitting as far away from the ice as possible. I'm glad Hakstol finally saw the light and sat him, lets hope that he stays as a "healthy scratch" the rest of the year. I guess it would be safe to say that I'd feel more comfortable with a folding chair or an orange cone out there, but thats just me.

IMO opinion radke is one of our best defensemen. Developed much more mentally than many other the other D. He knows where to be and when, You can't expect a D man to put up a lot of points, its not there job. What is your reasoning for you feelings, cause I just don't see it.

Is it possible, that at some point in his UND career, Joe Finley might, might, might actually hit someone. I don't care if it's with a check, his fists, a stick, or a chair, I'd like to see him hit someone. Anyone. When Oshie's the enforcer something's not right. Just my opinion.

Was at the game as well...

As much as I'd like to blame Adam for the loss (that was some crappy reffing, and I let him know it) this was a team loss. Goaltending in the second was weak. Not sure where the defense was the entire game. We couldn't clear the puck for the life of us, we didn't clear people out of in front of our net. And other than Duncan, where were the forwards. Lots of effort, but no results.

I think there was three, maybe five guys that played well and the rest just played alright. I don't know if the problem is chemistry, coaching, fundamentals, or just flat out being outworked but something needs to be changed.

I'd like to see Grieco tomorrow, but I don't want it to seem like we are blaming Phil. The second goal was WEAK, but hey, who knows... if the penalties had been called, the defense had played, and we put more pucks in the net, things might have been different and then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

One thing is for sure. We have to stop taking penalties. I don't care if you are pissed because the bounces aren't going your way, the refs are calling everything on you and nothing on the other team... you can't take stupid penalties!

As for the fans, I thought that at the beginning of the game the fans were pretty good, made some noise. As the game went on, there was less to cheer about and more to boo about...

Let's hope the boys come out with some fire tomorrow night... screen Elliott, shot, score, and play defense! I hope to have a Saturday night like in the CC series... because going back to Madison in a week (after finals) isn't sounding like too much fun right now...

IMO opinion radke is one of our best defensemen. Developed much more mentally than many other the other D. He knows where to be and when, You can't expect a D man to put up a lot of points, its not there job. What is your reasoning for you feelings, cause I just don't see it.

Radke isn't the problem. #22 is the problem. how he was selected to the national team is beyond me. Do you even watch the games Soo? your take makes me believe you were at the Betty watching hoops tonight.

Was at the game as well...

As much as I'd like to blame Adam for the loss (that was some crappy reffing, and I let him know it) this was a team loss. Goaltending in the second was weak. Not sure where the defense was the entire game. We couldn't clear the puck for the life of us, we didn't clear people out of in front of our net. And other than Duncan, where were the forwards. Lots of effort, but no results.

I think there was three, maybe five guys that played well and the rest just played alright. I don't know if the problem is chemistry, coaching, fundamentals, or just flat out being outworked but something needs to be changed.

I'd like to see Grieco tomorrow, but I don't want it to seem like we are blaming Phil. The second goal was WEAK, but hey, who knows... if the penalties had been called, the defense had played, and we put more pucks in the net, things might have been different and then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

One thing is for sure. We have to stop taking penalties. I don't care if you are pissed because the bounces aren't going your way, the refs are calling everything on you and nothing on the other team... you can't take stupid penalties!

As for the fans, I thought that at the beginning of the game the fans were pretty good, made some noise. As the game went on, there was less to cheer about and more to boo about...

Let's hope the boys come out with some fire tomorrow night... screen Elliott, shot, score, and play defense! I hope to have a Saturday night like in the CC series... because going back to Madison in a week (after finals) isn't sounding like too much fun right now...

As for what you said, I was at the game also:

Agree with the team loss, but some weight does need to be put on phil for his play, maybe he needed this.

Noticed the problem with the clearing too, just seem like they were a step ahead of us there.

Guys who played well, in order: 1. Bina, the old bina was back tonight 2. Duncan, i'd time him with Bina, he to me is the player with the most heart win or lose. 3. Oshie, it says alot about his character when your season isnt going as you hoped and you keep your mouth shut and continue to skate hard every shift (unlike some professional athletes). 4. Chay and Chorney, I have liked Chorney a lot throughout his career, but he seems to have really grown since that goal against CC. Chay, who has the better shot him or his brother? 5. Lee, this was a tough one to put up, but he had some good points tonight

As for players I thought struggled tonight, and as bob saget would say, in no particular order: 1. Johnny T, seemed tired early in shifts, that won't be good at practice in Calgary this coming week. 2. Joe Finley, again out of position a couple times, but I liked the "in your face, but not a goon" attitude tonight if you could call that. 3. Phil, 2 weak goals in my opinion 4. Porter, just for the stupid penalty

As for in goal, I liked Grieco, there was a couple times he was out of position and fumbled with the puck, but look at JPar in his first year and a half. Grieco's first big team and he shut them out in his only period. None of his mistakes cost a goal, but they were awfully close. He learned from them all.

Lastly, Dear Hak,

From what it sounds this team is not practicing well, and obviously this carries over to the games. Tonight in the postgame you commented that you hope your team comes out frustrated tomorrow and pumped up. Well unless you begin to show some emotion and maybe help cause the team to get angry it wont happen. If you need help with doing this go home and watch this scene from Miracle...

Herb Brooks: This is unbelievable. You guys are playing like this is some throw away game up in Rochester. Who we playing Rammer?

Mike Ramsey: Sweden.

Herb Brooks: Yeah. You're damn right Sweden! In the Olympics!

[Turns to McClanahan]

Herb Brooks: What the hell is wrong with you? Put your gear on!

[pause]

Herb Brooks: I said put your gear on!

Rob McClanahan: Doc told me I can't play.

Herb Brooks: Yeah, yeah, yeah I know. You got a bad bruise. You know what put youre street clothes on because I got no time for quitters!

Mike Eruzione: Come on Herb! No body is quitting here!

Herb Brooks: You worry about your own game. Plenty there to keep you busy.

Herb Brooks: A bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart, candy ass.

Rob McClanahan: What'd you call me?

Herb Brooks: You heard me!

Rob McClanahan: You want me to play huh? Is that what you want?

Herb Brooks: I want you to be a hockey player!

Rob McClanahan: I AM A HOCKEY PLAYER! YOU WANT ME TO PLAY ON ONE LEG? HUH? I'LL PLAY ON ONE LEG!

Herb Brooks: [walking out of the locker room with McClanahan still screaming] That'll get him going

Go Sioux, lets come fired up tomorrow and turn this season around, just look what are team did two years ago when Hak and the coaches fired there team up after the loss at Anchorage

Radke isn't the problem. #22 is the problem. how he was selected to the national team is beyond me. Do you even watch the games Soo? your take makes me believe you were at the Betty watching hoops tonight.

I totally agree with you. Lee is our worst defensemen by far. He is timid, makes bad decisions, and doesn't hustle. I hope Ottawa hopes he is developing enough so this liability on the ice is gone next year.

Same old stuff:

1. Poor goaltending. Second goal for Wisc was as bad as it gets.

2. Stupid, stupid penalties. Or penalties because we were out of position and had to take one.

3. Outmanned physically. Does anyone on this team (except for Oshie and maybe a couple others) want

to hit someone. This is the least physical Sioux team I can remember for some time.

When you have #1 you sure as heck can't have #2.

Please bench Zach Jones for tomorrows game. He needs to learn to quit taking stupid penalties, maybe sitting down for a game or two will help.

When the goalie gets run (almost every game it seems), quit dancing with the other team. Someone, anyone, needs to step up and make a statement...if that means an all-out brawl, so be it. Stand up for each other, show that you are a team and not a collection of players.

Not sure what Hak does about the goaltending. There is really no excuse for the way Phil is playing, he is a junior and has seen plenty of time in goal. These weak goals are depressing to me as a fan, it must be worse for the players. If he can't do the job now as the #1 goalie I don't know that he ever will. Greico is just not ready for this level as far as I can see. He really needs another year of experience. While he didn't give up a goal in the 3rd tonight he looked shaky. Unless the goaltending issue is resolved nothing else matters, this team will end up with a .500 record.

I really expected more from the defense this year. Last year we played with four freshman so I assumed they would be much better this year. Hard too see where they are any better this year as a group. Last year Parise saved their butts a lot, maybe we should have given even more credit to Jordan than we did. There was one shift tonight where Bina and Genoway were on defense and they were just manhandled by Wisconsin and couldn't get the puck out of the Sioux end. Seems like our defense has shifted more towards the "gopher" style of past years with less physical, more offensive defensemen. There certainly is no fear in the opposition of crashing the net or going into the corners.

Sorry if this is too negative but I am pretty frustrated right now.

Is it possible, that at some point in his UND career, Joe Finley might, might, might actually hit someone. I don't care if it's with a check, his fists, a stick, or a chair, I'd like to see him hit someone. Anyone. When Oshie's the enforcer something's not right. Just my opinion.

I don't like Finley one bit. I think people love the guy just because of how big he is. I couldn't less how big he is, he isn't playing well at all.

That said, he did knock a guy stiff tonight. First period I think.

I think they're trying to prepare for the 2 defenseman who are going to be gone during the WJC by giving Chay some time on defense. Don't know if that's a wise choice when there's points at stake for the league.

They should have taken Finley out, why sit radke who is the teams best skating and best puckhandling defenseman (Chorney is steady and more realiable but Radke is more skilled). I like Genoway at D, he played well from the little i saw and he handles the puck with alot of poise. I only saw about 5 minutes of the game and none of the goals so I can't really comment much on the game but judging from the box score it looks like the Oshie,Porter, Watkins line struggled. Also looks like UND was the better team in the 3rd period, thats usaully a good sign heading into the next game.

They should have taken Finley out, why sit radke who is the teams best skating and best puckhandling defenseman (Chorney is steady and more realiable but Radke is more skilled). I like Genoway at D, he played well from the little i saw and he handles the puck with alot of poise. I only saw about 5 minutes of the game and none of the goals so I can't really comment much on the game but judging from the box score it looks like the Oshie,Porter, Watkins line struggled. Also looks like UND was the better team in the 3rd period, thats usaully a good sign heading into the next game.

imo just like hak said a period cost us the game, we were the better team for the majority of the game and lost cause we played on bad period. Anyone else think as of halfway through the season that Radke should at least have gotten a letter. I'm still kinda in shock that not one defensemen got one this year

I was at the game tonight too. All I've got to say is that I'm getting really sick of having to defend my Sioux pride when the team is playing like this. I didn't think they played all that horribly. Adam is a HORRIBLE ref, seemed to be ignoring all the BADger penalties and calling us for stupid things. Phil's 2nd goal he let in was super extremely weak. Both teams came ready to play tonight. The Sioux HAVE the talent they need on the team, but in order to win they also need to want it and put some heart into it!

I don't even know who to blame for the loss tonight, but we definitely need some wins sometime soon. It's exhausting to watch this team lose knowing full well that they CAN win.... And I'm getting really sick of having to defend the team against Gopher and BADger fans!!!

However, my friend and I went to Applebee's earlier and saw TJ and Chay there, separately. TJ seemed to be in a good mood, and Chay seemed kinda like he didn't really care lol

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

I was at the game tonight too. All I've got to say is that I'm getting really sick of having to defend my Sioux pride when the team is playing like this. I didn't think they played all that horribly. Adam is a HORRIBLE ref, seemed to be ignoring all the BADger penalties and calling us for stupid things. Phil's 2nd goal he let in was super extremely weak. Both teams came ready to play tonight. The Sioux HAVE the talent they need on the team, but in order to win they also need to want it and put some heart into it!

I don't even know who to blame for the loss tonight, but we definitely need some wins sometime soon. It's exhausting to watch this team lose knowing full well that they CAN win.... And I'm getting really sick of having to defend the team against Gopher and BADger fans!!!

However, my friend and I went to Applebee's earlier and saw TJ and Chay there, separately. TJ seemed to be in a good mood, and Chay seemed kinda like he didn't really care lol

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

Well.. I claimed the night thats for sure. I said Duncan would save the night, and in my eyes, he is the best player on the ice. Others have the skill but so does he and he somehow finds the time and place to use it! Lammy is good but too small for a goaltender! He is great from going side to side but as soon as the puck goes crossbar height, its all over! A good size goaltender should be able to hit the knees and still be able to cover the upper posts, lammy doesn't. Sorry man! We did play ok tonight, minus the 15 stupid penalties!The ones that the fuggin refs didnt call against the bagers at key points of the game did not help! But whatever. Ive come to the fact that you cannot expect your team to go to the final four, or the big dance, every single season and maybe this isn't their year.....Yet maybe it will be but I will not get all excited like I may have last year at this time. Ill still go to every game, love it as much as i can, and enjoy everything that goes on before, during and after each game. Livestrong! And go fighting sioux! In hope I trust!

The funny part is we all think that they all hang out together. laugh. have a good time. Yet really, their college students! Half of them maybe only talk at practice and game times? And maybe in the past years (players) is wasn't like this. But who knows! But the fact that someone saw the two teamates at the same place, yet they didn't even go together or recognize each other(as the way sioux yeah yeah put it above), seems odd. This could be a classic example of why the team is not clicking...... Friends hang out with friends, you tend to find out alot about a person. But you say they didnt even go together? Sounds like a candy bar in 100 degree heat to me! They just dont mix.... Talent is talent but if you dont mix with the others on the ice it ain't shet! Herb brooks could patch all this up! s&!t! :angry:

I totally agree with you. Lee is our worst defensemen by far. He is timid, makes bad decisions, and doesn't hustle. I hope Ottawa hopes he is developing enough so this liability on the ice is gone next year.

Do I even watch the games? Yes, I do, and apparently, Hakstol does too and he agrees in my thoughts. When you are the one of the defensive veterans on the team and you arent dressing in huge WCHA games, umm, I think there might be a problem. Heres the thing with Radke: He thinks hes tough and tries to fight, but woops, no fighting in college hockey. He also tries to be an offensive player, ohhh but not so fast, whenever he tries to create in the offensive end, he usually leaves his d partner hanging and an odd-man rush ensues. But other than that I guess I have no problems with him.

He was selected to the National Team the same way that certain guys win the Gold Glove Award in baseball. They have one good year (In Lee's case it was good high school years), and keep winning the awards later on name recognition they built that one year.

Goal 1 last night: Lee's brilliant finesse style of play could not move a Badger guy out from in front of the net.

Goal 4 last night: Rather than cream the guy in front of the net, Lee elects to go wtih the finesse style again. Goal Badgers.

Time for my 2 cents worth.

Brian Lee. Talented kid, no doubt about it. We all knew when he came to UND that he was an OFFENSIVE defenseman, so why people are complaining about how the kids plays D, I am not sure. I think that if you had somebody solid and big that you could pair him with, he'd start putting up Travis Roche type #s on offense.

Joe Finley. Don't really know what to say about him. I don't expect him to be involved offensively much, but I would sure like to see him start laying out other teams' forwards. Maybe he just needs to have some of our recent alumni come back for a day or two and work with him in practice. I think 2 hours with Commodore, Schneider, and Jones would do wonders for this guy. They'd beat on him and it might actually cause him to learn how to do the same to others!

Our goalie situation. We have been having this conversation ever since BC snuck one by Karl in 01, and ended his collegiate career. Since that day, we as Sioux fans have waited for the second coming, and it hasn't happened yet. Are we asking too much? Possibly. I do feel that a goalie's #1 job is to stop the first shot, and after that, you better have some help for the guy. There are times where we give NO help to whomever is between the pipes, and there are times where he doesn't even feel one puck whiz by him. I am not an expert by any means, I can't even ice skate, so I won't call out anyone by saying they are terrible, I sure couldn't do any better. I just want to see someone who CAN do better get in there and steal some wins for this team.

And to whomever said that coak Hak needs to start showing some emotion, right on!!! I agree that the scene from Miracle should get played out in the Sioux locker-room!

I don't know, that last goal didn't look like Philippe's fault. But then again I only have a 15 inch screen on this lap top.

Watch the replay. Lammy is down (of course he is), moving out toward the middle-left of the top of the crease (from his perspective) instead of moving toward the left post, giving the Badger an approximate 18 inch window to stuff the rebound. He was apparently trying to pokecheck the puck and in doing so gave up position.

The second goal was so terrible, it's unimaginable that it even happened. A weak wrist shot from the blue line five-holes Lammy who, along with everyone else in the building, had a clear view of the shot all the way (for those of you not there, it was a slow, looping wrist shot and the puck was barely moving as if it was dumped in on net for a line change). One of the opposing teams' strategies must be to just throw as many pucks at Lammy as possible because one out of seven "shots" on goal go in.

I hope that we are through watching Lammy for the remainder of his eligibility. The team needs someone it can rally around and depend on to bail them out when they have the occasional defensive lapse that all teams have.

Ok, after removing the rose tinted glasses, having slept on it and with clear thought and as little emotion as possible, I have come to the following conclusion.

Other than Ryan Duncan and Robbie Bina, the 2006-2007 Fighting Sioux Hockey team sucks. I still love them, still cheer for them, still wear our colors and know that without a doubt we have the most talented individual hockey players in the WCHA, our team still sucks. :angry:

Here's hoping they start playing up to their potential every period of every game as a team.

Well.. I claimed the night thats for sure. I said Duncan would save the night, and in my eyes, he is the best player on the ice. Others have the skill but so does he and he somehow finds the time and place to use it! Lammy is good but too small for a goaltender! He is great from going side to side but as soon as the puck goes crossbar height, its all over! A good size goaltender should be able to hit the knees and still be able to cover the upper posts, lammy doesn't. Sorry man! We did play ok tonight, minus the 15 stupid penalties!The ones that the fuggin refs didnt call against the bagers at key points of the game did not help! But whatever. Ive come to the fact that you cannot expect your team to go to the final four, or the big dance, every single season and maybe this isn't their year.....Yet maybe it will be but I will not get all excited like I may have last year at this time. Ill still go to every game, love it as much as i can, and enjoy everything that goes on before, during and after each game. Livestrong! And go fighting sioux! In hope I trust!

The funny part is we all think that they all hang out together. laugh. have a good time. Yet really, their college students! Half of them maybe only talk at practice and game times? And maybe in the past years (players) is wasn't like this. But who knows! But the fact that someone saw the two teamates at the same place, yet they didn't even go together or recognize each other(as the way sioux yeah yeah put it above), seems odd. This could be a classic example of why the team is not clicking...... Friends hang out with friends, you tend to find out alot about a person. But you say they didnt even go together? Sounds like a candy bar in 100 degree heat to me! They just dont mix.... Talent is talent but if you dont mix with the others on the ice it ain't shet! Herb brooks could patch all this up! s&!t! :angry:

I totally agree. We arguably have talent and good coaching. What is missing is leadership and chemistry. The one bright spot is that Hak has a way of bringing the team together the second half of the year. What is frustrating is that the Sioux do not consistently play with the intensity they did in the 3rd. If they did, this would not be a .500 hockey team.

Stating the obvious, a loss tonight would not be good.

I've said this before but I'm frustrated so I'll add my 2 cents again - Other than Duncan and maybe 1 or 2 others - is anyone playing better this year than last. There seems to be no improvement among our sophomore defensemen. They seem to have gone backwords as a group. I'm not excited about our freshmen class. Other teams with a lot less tradition and facilities seem to have ourrecruited us. If you combine their stats do we have the worst goaltending in the league? This is NOT Fighting Sioux hockey as I know it. We seem to have no home court advantage - other teams used to fear comming here - we would beat them physically and on the scoreboard. Fighting Sioux hockey is not about being 7 and 7. Wait until we play the good teams. The coaches need to shape this team up.

But the fact that someone saw the two teamates at the same place, yet they didn't even go together or recognize each other(as the way sioux yeah yeah put it above), seems odd. This could be a classic example of why the team is not clicking...... Friends hang out with friends, you tend to find out alot about a person.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?!?!?!?!

Have you ever been on any sort of athletic team? How many players on ANY team are all 'good friends'? Geeze Louise, get back on topic and leave their personal lives out of this. I've met many of the players and can tell you they are all of different personalites and, obviously, ages. Just because they don't hang out together doesn't mean BULLSHAT!!

The 'magic' that we want to see on the ice doesn't happen because the entire team is in love with one another, know each others inner secrets, and can tell you everyone's favorite color. Get back on track and stop trying to speculate or invent problems within the team that aren't there.

Gawd, I hate it when this type of tripe is posted!!!!