SiouxSports.com Forum

Demonstrators at Funeral

undsportsfan

I hope no one out there believes this group represents Baptists specifically or Christians in general. After living in three states,New Jersey, Virginia, and South Carolina, I have never met any Baptists who would participate in or agree with their actions. Hopefully they will focus their hearts toward JESUS and leave the families alone.

No, for me, I understand that they are just extremists. I have friends that are from all different religions. As a Christian though, I will just continue to pray for them and anyone else affected by this. Hopefully, but very doubtful, that someday they'll realize that they are wrong. I think they are misrepresenting Baptists by going to such extremes... I would not let one or two or three individuals deter me from learning or basing my opinions by their reckless and ridiculous actions claiming to represent a whole group.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope no one out there believes this group represents Baptists specifically or Christians in general. After living in three states,New Jersey, Virginia, and South Carolina, I have never met any Baptists who would participate in or agree with their actions. Hopefully they will focus their hearts toward JESUS and leave the families alone.

I would never put these people in the same category as most other Christians, especially the Baptists I know. Phelps' people spew is venom and hatred for their own ends.

This people are evil, drawing whatever they can from the suffering of others, parasites of the worst kind!! As much as we want to hurt them, we can't because as previously stated that is what they want. I also hope that the media can get the info out to help the mourners without giving these sub-humans as little press as possible.

I saw the same interview as HockeyMom as they are all from the same family.

The latest report is that the group will not be in Grand Forks to protest the funeral. Earlier this week Dakota Huseby of KNOX radio made a deal with the group. She agreed to give them time on her show if they would stay away. I don't know when they will be on (she has the 2-5 PM slot weekdays) but I think it would be a great time to listen to another station for a while.

The latest report is that the group will not be in Grand Forks to protest the funeral. Earlier this week Dakota Huseby of KNOX radio made a deal with the group. She agreed to give them time on her show if they would stay away. I don't know when they will be on (she has the 2-5 PM slot weekdays) but I think it would be a great time to listen to another station for a while.

Wow, good for her. While I hate for these people to get any air time at least they will not be at Chris's funeral and assault the mourners with their obscenities.

I hope she reneges on her promise and forgets to turn on her mic. Oh wait, that would be fuel for another law suit

I change the station from 2:00-5:00pm on weekdays anyways. How convenient. :angry:

just today, the senate passed a resolution that bans people from protesting at funerals for members of the armed forces. earlier this year, a proposal was passed that would only ban protesting at national cemeteries... however groups like the fred phelps one would get around that by protesting at the churches themselves. this new law, although, i'm not sure when it will officially go into effect will ban any and all protests at the funerals of members of the armed forces.

Check out their web site at www.patriotguard.org. They are all about respect, especially for our veterans. They have a picture on their front page welcoming the North Dakota Army Guard unit from Minot home. They also have forums for soldiers that die that may need rides, have rides scheduled or have completed rides.

These guys rock I read they had attended Hermanson's funeral earlier this summer, they definately are patriots. They were at the funeral in Western, ND this week.

FYI

http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news.newsDtl&did=3184

I know the first resolution was passed quickly through the House and Senate. I hope the new one does as well.

Its a nice start:

The new law prohibits demonstrations within 300 feet of the entrance of a national cemetery and within 150 feet of a road, pathway, or other route of ingress or egress from national cemeteries and Arlington National Cemetery one hour before through one hour after a funeral. Violating the act could result in a fine up to $100,000 and up to one year imprisonment.

I hope they start slapping these morons, they don't make any sense they say the soldiers deserved to be killed because of our countries support of homosexuals. Where the heck do they come up with this crap. I have seen the lady from this church on Hannity and Colmes and I almost threw the remote through the TV till I realized that would be stupid.

northdakota164.jpg

Wow, good for her. While I hate for these people to get any air time at least they will not be at Chris's funeral and assault the mourners with their obscenities.

I hope she reneges on her promise and forgets to turn on her mic. Oh wait, that would be fuel for another law suit

And all we have to do is turn the radio off. In respect of the family

Its a nice start:

I hope they start slapping these morons, they don't make any sense they say the soldiers deserved to be killed because of our countries support of homosexuals. Where the heck do they come up with this crap. I have seen the lady from this church on Hannity and Colmes and I almost threw the remote through the TV till I realized that would be stupid.

If our country is so wrong for our support of homosexuals then are they not equally as wrong for living in this country?

Let's help them pack their bags.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Soldier funeral protester arrested

A member of the Kansas group that has drawn criticism for protesting at soldiers' funerals has been arrested for letting her 10-year-old son stomp on a U.S. flag during a demonstration. She promised Wednesday to challenge the state's flag desecration law in court.
The group says the deaths of U.S. soldiers are God's punishment for a nation that harbors gays and lesbians. Nebraska and 37 other states have laws restricting how close protesters can get to funerals, inspired at least in part by the Westboro protests.
Flag mutilation and disturbing the peace are each punishable by 90 days in jail, a $500 fine or both. Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is punishable by a year in jail, a $1,000 fine or both. All three are misdemeanors.

Polikov said he was considering filing a negligent child abuse charge because Phelps-Roper put her son in a dangerous situation.