SiouxSports.com Forum

next season

UND92,96

quarterback

This may be the biggest unknown on the team. Danny Freund and Jake Landry both had outstanding high school careers, but Freund has very, very little college playing experience, and Landry has none. Lennon mentioned on one of the coaches' shows a month or two ago that he's had several prospective transfers contact him, so I suspect he'll have to make a decision as to whether that's a route he feels he needs to go. I kind of doubt he'll go in that direction, but you never know.

running back

Things look very good here, with Ryan Chappell returning for his sophomore year after rushing for over 1200 yards this year. Brandon Brady should be the backup, with Jordan Armentraut and Brandon Dungy providing depth. Sorbo will probably be the fullback.

receiver

Dressler and Trenbeath are an outstanding duo. Caufield should return from his injury, leaving Nicholas, Rambeck and Wahlin to compete for the fourth spot.

tight end

Another well-stocked position. Grover will probably be the primary receiving tight end, with Troy Ott and possibly Marcus Tibesar also playing a lot.

offensive line

Four starters return, led by Mitch Braegelmann and Brian Troen. Brett Bauer and Andy Hoffelt will likely start at tackle, leaving just one guard spot open. Erik Moe is probably the frontrunner for that position.

defensive line

Alex Cadwell at end is the sole returning starter. Nate Wayne was Wolff's backup, and presumably will be the starter at the nose. Jeff Richter, Link Gottbeheat and Andy White will presumably be competing for the other end spot.

linebacker

Robbie Meek is the lone returning starter. Brett Holinka would seem to be the likely other starter on the inside, with Bobby Stroup and Noah Dombrovski the likely starters on the outside. There's not a lot of experience after that. Matt Bodoh and Andy Miller both played some this year, as did Tyler Morrow. I suspect at least one freshman may find his way into the rotation.

secondary

Donovan Alexander returns for his third year of starting at corner, with the other corner seemingly between Drake Otto and Brandon Jordan. Rory Manke was essentially a starter this year at free safety, and IMO was actually the best safety on the team. Derek Malner will likely start at strong safety. Similar to linebacker, there's not a lot of experience after the projected starters.

kicker/punter

Both Hellevang and Halfmann return.

Similar to this year, it certainly appears that the offense will be the team's strength. I really hope we're pleasantly surprised by the defense, because there just isn't a lot coming back in terms of proven players.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there ever was a year for Dale Lennon to depart from his philosophy of essentially only recruiting 4-year players, this is it. A couple of reasons why:

1) This is going to be the toughest recruiting year out of the next several. Since UND red-shirts all of its freshmen, this next class won't have any opportunity to participate in the national playoffs. Plus, UND will need to be recruiting D-I caliber players in this next class, but trying to do so with partial scholarships. It would be foolish to give partial money to kids this year that you're not certain are D-I players. In other words, since there will be a huge boost in scholarship money in 2008, this freshman class should focus on quality rather than quantity.

2) UND needs a top-notch quarterback and 4 or 5 athletes on defense to be right there competing for a national title in the final year of D-II. Even if you have to give some transfer type players full rides, why not make one last run at the championship? I would imagine that with 19 seniors graduating there are 10-12 scholarships available for next year. Give six impact transfers full rides and then split up the rest over a dozen freshmen with a promise of a full scholarship the following year if they do well. Remember, there will be an additional 21 scholarships to recruit with next year.

If there ever was a year for Dale Lennon to depart from his philosophy of essentially only recruiting 4-year players, this is it. A couple of reasons why:

1) This is going to be the toughest recruiting year out of the next several. Since UND red-shirts all of its freshmen, this next class won't have any opportunity to participate in the national playoffs. Plus, UND will need to be recruiting D-I caliber players in this next class, but trying to do so with partial scholarships. It would be foolish to give partial money to kids this year that you're not certain are D-I players. In other words, since there will be a huge boost in scholarship money in 2008, this freshman class should focus on quality rather than quantity.

2) UND needs a top-notch quarterback and 4 or 5 athletes on defense to be right there competing for a national title in the final year of D-II. Even if you have to give some transfer type players full rides, why not make one last run at the championship? I would imagine that with 19 seniors graduating there are 10-12 scholarships available for next year. Give six impact transfers full rides and then split up the rest over a dozen freshmen with a promise of a full scholarship the following year if they do well. Remember, there will be an additional 21 scholarships to recruit with next year.

Excellent points. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see UND recruit more juco/transfer players this year than ever before. It would also be very interesting to know what sorts of credentials the quarterbacks who have contacted Lennon have.

UND offers 36 scholarships at this time if I'm not mistaken. I am not sure what the DI transition allows for in terms of additional scholarships. How does the additional 21 scholarships fit into this. Can we offer 57 next year? Who's got some info on this?

UND offers 36 scholarships at this time if I'm not mistaken. I am not sure what the DI transition allows for in terms of additional scholarships. How does the additional 21 scholarships fit into this. Can we offer 57 next year? Who's got some info on this?

It will still be 36 for next season. I'm not sure whether you can add 27 scholarships immediately after next season (I-AA max is 63), or whether it has to increase to 63 over a couple of years.

I was thinking it was still 36 for next year as well. I am pretty sure I remember reading an article about our friends from the south that indicated that you were allowed additional scholarships each year. I think the final 2 years of the 5 year period you are allowed the full 63. I will have to dig out my NC$$ handbook and do some digging.

I was thinking it was still 36 for next year as well. I am pretty sure I remember reading an article about our friends from the south that indicated that you were allowed additional scholarships each year. I think the final 2 years of the 5 year period you are allowed the full 63. I will have to dig out my NC$$ handbook and do some digging.

I was thinking it took NDSU two years to get to 63, and that was as quickly as the rules allow, but I'm sure one of the NDSU posters would be better able to explain that rule.

I was thinking it took NDSU two years to get to 63, and that was as quickly as the rules allow, but I'm sure one of the NDSU posters would be better able to explain that rule.

The scholarship plan is:

2007 -36

2008- 57

2009 - 57+

Getting to 57 is critical, as I believe a IAA (or playoff championship division) has to average at least 90% of 63 scholarships for a couple years to be a bowl counter for a IA team. (UND vs Minn game in 2010 ?).

Central Arkansas jumped their scholarships immediately from 36 to 63, so there are no limits on how fast a school can ramp to 63.

Lennon will have the luxury of promising some full scholarships this year, but only after a red-shirt (2007) year.

What was the injury, and when did it occur? I don't remember hearing anything about it, but always wondered what happened to him considering he was doing pretty well at the end of last season.

I'm not sure of the exact nature of his injury, or when it occurred, but I believe it was a lower body injury, and I know it was season-ending.

The scholarship plan is:

2007 -36

2008- 57

2009 - 57+

Getting to 57 is critical, as I believe a IAA (or playoff championship division) has to average at least 90% of 63 scholarships for a couple years to be a bowl counter for a IA team. (UND vs Minn game in 2010 ?).

Central Arkansas jumped their scholarships immediately from 36 to 63, so there are no limits on how fast a school can ramp to 63.

Lennon will have the luxury of promising some full scholarships this year, but only after a red-shirt (2007) year.

I-AA schools can't be a bowl counter for a I-A team until the second provisional year (UND in 2009). As I understand it, the other stipulation for being a bowl counter for a I-A school is to average 60 scholarships over a 2-year period. Hence the reasoning for having 57 scholarships in 2008... once UND ups that number to 63 in 2009, they'll have averaged 60 over that 2-year period.

Next year will be UND's exploritory year. That means UND will still be fully DII, including playoff eligibility and scholarship limits(36). After that, UND can increase scholarships to 63 at will. For a DI-FCS to count as a DI-FBS win, the FCS school must average 57 scholarships(90% of 63) over a rolling two year period. If your AD chooses to, and if the school can find the money, UND could get a FBS money game as early as 2009. Rumor has it that the Gophers have agreed to a game with SDSU for that year and NDSU is scheduled to play Iowa State, so those two are off the potential list.

In case any are confused by the FCS and FBS acronyms, remember that I-A, I-AA and I-AAA no longer exist.

FBS: Football Bowl Subdivision, formally I-A; also referred to as BS.

FCS: Football Championship Subdivision, formally I-AA; also referred as CS.

quarterback

This may be the biggest unknown on the team. Danny Freund and Jake Landry both had outstanding high school careers, but Freund has very, very little college playing experience, and Landry has none. Lennon mentioned on one of the coaches' shows a month or two ago that he's had several prospective transfers contact him, so I suspect he'll have to make a decision as to whether that's a route he feels he needs to go. I kind of doubt he'll go in that direction, but you never know.

running back

Things look very good here, with Ryan Chappell returning for his sophomore year after rushing for over 1200 yards this year. Brandon Brady should be the backup, with Jordan Armentraut and Brandon Dungy providing depth. Sorbo will probably be the fullback.

receiver

Dressler and Trenbeath are an outstanding duo. Caufield should return from his injury, leaving Nicholas, Rambeck and Wahlin to compete for the fourth spot.

tight end

Another well-stocked position. Grover will probably be the primary receiving tight end, with Troy Ott and possibly Marcus Tibesar also playing a lot.

offensive line

Four starters return, led by Mitch Braegelmann and Brian Troen. Brett Bauer and Andy Hoffelt will likely start at tackle, leaving just one guard spot open. Erik Moe is probably the frontrunner for that position.

defensive line

Alex Cadwell at end is the sole returning starter. Nate Wayne was Wolff's backup, and presumably will be the starter at the nose. Jeff Richter, Link Gottbeheat and Andy White will presumably be competing for the other end spot.

linebacker

Robbie Meek is the lone returning starter. Brett Holinka would seem to be the likely other starter on the inside, with Bobby Stroup and Noah Dombrovski the likely starters on the outside. There's not a lot of experience after that. Matt Bodoh and Andy Miller both played some this year, as did Tyler Morrow. I suspect at least one freshman may find his way into the rotation.

secondary

Donovan Alexander returns for his third year of starting at corner, with the other corner seemingly between Drake Otto and Brandon Jordan. Rory Manke was essentially a starter this year at free safety, and IMO was actually the best safety on the team. Derek Malner will likely start at strong safety. Similar to linebacker, there's not a lot of experience after the projected starters.

kicker/punter

Both Hellevang and Halfmann return.

Similar to this year, it certainly appears that the offense will be the team's strength. I really hope we're pleasantly surprised by the defense, because there just isn't a lot coming back in terms of proven players.

I agree on most of these positions. It may be interesting at D-line. Remember we go two deep at every position. I believe there may be a chance of seeing Richter moved to Nose with Wayne. Cadwell, White, Gottbeheat and Farstveet will likely be the four in the rotation at D-end.

Caufield had knee surgery a few weeks ago I think. I thought he'll have a full recovery. He can be a weapon with his size, speed and strength.

Next year will be UND's exploritory year. That means UND will still be fully DII, including playoff eligibility and scholarship limits(36). After that, UND can increase scholarships to 63 at will. For a DI-FCS to count as a DI-FBS win, the FCS school must average 57 scholarships(90% of 63) over a rolling two year period. If your AD chooses to, and if the school can find the money, UND could get a FBS money game as early as 2009. Rumor has it that the Gophers have agreed to a game with SDSU for that year and NDSU is scheduled to play Iowa State, so those two are off the potential list.

In case any are confused by the FCS and FBS acronyms, remember that I-A, I-AA and I-AAA no longer exist.

FBS: Football Bowl Subdivision, formally I-A; also referred to as BS.

FCS: Football Championship Subdivision, formally I-AA; also referred as CS.

I have serious doubts about UND's ability to perform at the D1 level for the foreseeable future. Football team was good, but not overwhelming, and recruiting is going to be tough for the next few years. The men's basketball team is pathetic. I see disaster ahead.

SDSU Football success prompts look at stadium, coach pay

In only its third season of NCAA Division I-AA football, South Dakota State came within one victory of its highest win total since 1979 and its first conference title since 1963, earning a final ranking of No. 21 in both major polls.

The Jackrabbits did so despite operating with nine fewer scholarships than allowed, facilities described as "antiquated" by one prominent alum, and a coaching staff that is under-manned and underpaid compared to its peers.

Clearly, the Jacks can compete. But can they become elite?

Not without addressing the program's deficiencies, according to prominent booster Dana Dykhouse.

Nothing is guaranteed, but if SDSU can meet with IAA football success with what they have to work with ...

SDSU Football success prompts look at stadium, coach pay

Nothing is guaranteed, but if SDSU can meet with IAA football success with what they have to work with ...

Exactly. UND has a better coaching staff, better facilities, and a far better history of success in football than does SDSU. I found it pretty interesting that Lennon makes roughly $25,000 more annually than Stiegelmeier.

I wouldn't jump to call them a troll so fast, they may be but it could be a Sioux fan that has some genuine concerns.

Anyone who has seen the mens basketball team knows what I am talking about. One has to wonder about the level of committment UND has to going D1.

Anyone who has seen the mens basketball team knows what I am talking about. One has to wonder about the level of committment UND has to going D1.

Obviously the UND men's basketball team has a new coach, and the play is already improved over recent years despite not having much of a chance to recruit yet. Two programs that SHOULD be cause for concern for their fans are the NDSU women's basketball program, and the SDSU men's basketball program.

How can you come to this conclusion by watching a single program of the many we offer at UND. A program that has actually improved since the D-I announcement. I guess NDSU must not be committed to D-I because their women's basketball team sucks or SDSU must not be committed because almost all of their teams have underperformed since the D-I move.