SiouxSports.com Forum

Mankato vs UMTC

siouxguyinstpaul

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That game looked like one of the better barnburners in the WCHA this year. Would have been a blast to be a fan of either team, or WCHA hockey generally, in the seats of The John last night. 'Kato goes up 3-0. Imagine that fun for the Maverick fans in attendance. Then, Hack Wheeler runs the goaltender, fights break out, 'Kato's tender is bleeding profusely from a cut wrist tendon, and a new goalie comes in. Of course, Lucia and the Gopher fans are crying to high heaven by now to the refs in classic form that only the High Criers at Mariucci can muster. Gophers go on to score five straight power play goals (did a call come in from the league office at the period break?) to take a 5-3 lead. The Rouser must have been rocking. At least alot more so than it was last November when Wisconsin was drilling the Gophers twice at home. Funny how the rabidity in the Mariucci Rouser will wax and wane depending on the scoreboard.

The Mavericks showed the gonads to come back and score two in the last ten minutes, getting the tiebreaker with under a minute to go. Slam. Shut. The hind end holes of nine thousand Gopher fans. Love that sound.

Anyway, WCHA games are always fun. That 5-5 OT tie last night had to have been a true fan's pleasure.

Here's video of the Tormey take out and the resulting brawl...

Minnesota vs. Mankato

Hate to not be 100% anti Gopher, but I think the Gophers aren't totally at fault here. Wheeler crashed the net and was still skating hard towards Tormey when the Mav player made contact with him. This wasn't the Elliott debacle, but it was far worse, IMO, because Tormey ended up getting injured.

In some ways, I think the Mav player (Brownlee I think it was) should have let Wheeler crash the net. If he hadn't touch him and Wheeler hit Tormey, that would have been (theoretically) a 5 minute major and a Game misconduct type penalty. Instead, a huge melee ensued.

However, I'm TOTALLY surprised Brownlee didn't get ejected. He definitely threw some punches and I thought that warranted a misconduct, if not a DQ. I think UMN's calls were pretty fairly assessed (though Peltier's takedown using his stick around the Mav player's throat may have been more worthy of the 10 minute than WHeeler) and the Mavs ended up on the short end of the penalty list, which really hurts the consipracy theory of Minnesota getting the benefit of the calls twice over (Mavs have less in the box due to the melee and Brownlee wasn't ejected).

That's my take on it.

I hope Tormey's alright. If the Mavs are going to do anything as far as being a spoiler or making a late season run, they need Tormey healthy.

There should always be Gophers threads here. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer. Two horrible injuries this season at Mariucci. The UW kid's concussion and now this is even more serious. It takes the fun out of great games.

yeah, i hate seeing injuries no matter who it is and team of course. it does take the fun out. hope that goalie has sucessful surgery......and hope thats the last of BAD injuries!!

There should always be Gophers threads here. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer. Two horrible injuries this season at Mariucci. The UW kid's concussion and now this is even more serious. It takes the fun out of great games.

I agree. I tend to enjoy watching, and keeping tabs on, premier hockey programs, even if it is Minnesota, regardless of what some of the parochial-types arounder here think.

As for the brawl, Brownlee is a real punk. :glare:

Both to teams visiting The John... ;) Those dirty Rodents. :glare:

That game looked like one of the better barnburners in the WCHA this year. Would have been a blast to be a fan of either team, or WCHA hockey generally, in the seats of The John last night. 'Kato goes up 3-0. Imagine that fun for the Maverick fans in attendance. Then, Hack Wheeler runs the goaltender, fights break out, 'Kato's tender is bleeding profusely from a cut wrist tendon, and a new goalie comes in. Of course, Lucia and the Gopher fans are crying to high heaven by now to the refs in classic form that only the High Criers at Mariucci can muster. Gophers go on to score five straight power play goals (did a call come in from the league office at the period break?) to take a 5-3 lead. The Rouser must have been rocking. At least alot more so than it was last November when Wisconsin was drilling the Gophers twice at home. Funny how the rabidity in the Mariucci Rouser will wax and wane depending on the scoreboard.

The Mavericks showed the gonads to come back and score two in the last ten minutes, getting the tiebreaker with under a minute to go. Slam. Shut. The hind end holes of nine thousand Gopher fans. Love that sound.

Anyway, WCHA games are always fun. That 5-5 OT tie last night had to have been a true fan's pleasure.

I went to the game last night and it was a blast to see the Mavs up and keeping it close. I was expecting to see a blow out and got my moneys worth out of this thriller. And it was fun to yell HO-LY-CROSS going into overtime. Maybe the gophs had flash backs when they saw the purple jerseys.

I think wheeler used the contact by the Mavs as an excuse to jump feet first at the Goalie. The Gophs are running down goalies this year. But I am an addicted Sioux hockey fan so...

We will have our hands full in Minneapolis in January, especially if we take penalties.

However, I'm TOTALLY surprised Brownlee didn't get ejected. He definitely threw some punches and I thought that warranted a misconduct, if not a DQ. I think UMN's calls were pretty fairly assessed (though Peltier's takedown using his stick around the Mav player's throat may have been more worthy of the 10 minute than WHeeler) and the Mavs ended up on the short end of the penalty list, which really hurts the consipracy theory of Minnesota getting the benefit of the calls twice over (Mavs have less in the box due to the melee and Brownlee wasn't ejected).

Actually, the Mavs went on the PK as a result of that.

Hate to not be 100% anti Gopher, but I think the Gophers aren't totally at fault here. Wheeler crashed the net and was still skating hard towards Tormey when the Mav player made contact with him. This wasn't the Elliott debacle, but it was far worse, IMO, because Tormey ended up getting injured.

In some ways, I think the Mav player (Brownlee I think it was) should have let Wheeler crash the net. If he hadn't touch him and Wheeler hit Tormey, that would have been (theoretically) a 5 minute major and a Game misconduct type penalty. Instead, a huge melee ensued.

Ok, I was watching last night and then I looked at the video again to see what you mean here. From my viewpoint watching the video, Wheelers skates were turned away from Tormey when he was hit and as he was sliding, he turned his feet into Tormey. Personally, watching it I felt like it was Wheeler's fault because he didn't have to turn his legs,but that might just be me. Hopefully, Tormey will be ok in the long run.

Ok, I was watching last night and then I looked at the video again to see what you mean here. From my viewpoint watching the video, Wheelers skates were turned away from Tormey when he was hit and as he was sliding, he turned his feet into Tormey. Personally, watching it I felt like it was Wheeler's fault because he didn't have to turn his legs,but that might just be me. Hopefully, Tormey will be ok in the long run.

Much as I would love to agree with you, I don't think it was intentional. Wheeler's body was literally turned by the Mav player just before he hit Tormey which caused his skates to be turned into Tormey.

I hope it's just a superficial wound and didn't involve any tendons or bone!

Re-watching the video that is what I thought too . . . also, look close and you will see that Wheeler lifted both feet going in on Tormey. I say dirty ... but hey ... I'm a Sioux fan. :D

Re-watching the video that is what I thought too . . . also, look close and you will see that Wheeler lifted both feet going in on Tormey. I say dirty ... but hey ... I'm a Sioux fan. :D

i have a very hard time believing ANY player would want to go into another using their skates as that could be a deadly weapon with how damn sharp they are....i dont care what player it is or what team he plays for....it was a very dangerous play but i do not believe wheeler meant that kind of harm...

i have a very hard time believing ANY player would want to go into another using their skates as that could be a deadly weapon with how damn sharp they are....i dont care what player it is or what team he plays for....it was a very dangerous play but i do not believe wheeler meant that kind of harm...

I don't think he meant to cut him the way he did ... but I do think he meant to harm in some way. I guess that is my take from the video ... Wheeler was cutting towards Tormey and Kilburg's check did turn Wheeler around ... and as Wheeler was going down I think he lifted both skates on purpose. Just my opinion ... which I know isn't worth much :)

Any way ... Go Sioux ... get a couple wins this weekend!!!

Then, Hack Wheeler runs the goaltender, fights break out, 'Kato's tender is bleeding profusely from a cut wrist tendon, and a new goalie comes in. Of course, Lucia and the Gopher fans are crying to high heaven by now to the refs in classic form that only the High Criers at Mariucci can muster.

That 5-5 OT tie last night had to have been a true fan's pleasure.

There is no way that Wheeler did that on purpose since he was checked into the mankato goalie. I do think the refs were wroing in not giving Peltier and the mankato players third man in penalties. I also believe that the refs did lose control of this game. Also, Wooger said that coaches were not happy with the quality of officiating on Friday night.

There is no way that Wheeler did that on purpose since he was checked into the mankato goalie. I do think the refs were wroing in not giving Peltier and the mankato players third man in penalties. I also believe that the refs did lose control of this game. Also, Wooger said that coaches were not happy with the quality of officiating on Friday night.

It sure looks to me like he makes a last ditch effort to make contact with the goalie. Not intentenally to injure, but to make contact. The MSU player checked Wheeler away from the goalie, not into him. It was Wheelers effort that made him hit the goalie.

Either way, hopefully Tormey will be ok soon.

What I am hearing from Lets Go Mav's fan is Tormey is done for the season. Tormey has a cut tendon in his hand. Probably played too many games to get a medical redshirt.

What I am hearing from Lets Go Mav's fan is Tormey is done for the season. Tormey has a cut tendon in his hand. Probably played too many games to get a medical redshirt.

Sh!&, I hope the info is wrong but I was worried it might be a tendon. The way he was holding his hand/wrist looked to me like it was a deep cut. Damn, I hope they're wrong.