SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux hockey scores via text message

jimdahl

It's probably best to consider this experimental still:

SiouxSports.com Text Message Score Notifications

It's probably not particularly useful to people who regularly follow the game in other ways (whether attending, watching on t.v., or monitoring on the Internet), but is really cool for people (like me) who are often doing other things Friday or Saturday night but would like to get a notification of the outcome (even if a few minutes delayed).

In testing, it has worked pretty well. Mid-game notifications are spotty (some games they're within seconds of each score, some games they're non-existent), but the final score notification has been pretty reliable and timely.

Nonetheless, you have nothing to lose. It's free to try (except for any fee you may pay for receiving a text message), and easy to unsubscribe.

This is great!!

Thanks Jim for making this feature available.

Many times I have been away on the weekend (hockey games, business, etc) and unable to access a tv or computer. This will really help my Sioux fix when I'm gone and eliminate the fear of the unknown, wondering how the Sioux is doing/did.

You have done so much and continue to offer so much free opportunites to Sioux fans everywhere. You've heard it before, but we'll continue to say it... Thanks for all of your work!

PS You've also heard this before but if there is a need or opportunity for donations to this great site, please let me/us know. It's defintely worth it!

Last week - while out in the middle of Bumbleduck ND Deer hunting - we thought the Sioux were playing in Alaska & we asked everyone we saw if they heard a score - cause we knew the games were late - plus I have been a few other places I would have used it .............Thanks

The response (in terms of enrollment for notifications) is somewhat overwhelming. To the point that I'm not sure everyone took "treat this as experimental" seriously enough. It'll be interesting to see how the 1am score updates from AA go tonight, but nonetheless, I still think this holds tremendous promise as a long-term service.

I'm going to pin this thread because, well, I can.

If you're having any problems with it, remember, you can unsubscribe at any time by:

1) Replying to one of the messages you receive (this may not work if your "from" address doesn't match the address with which you enrolled).

2) Going to the enrollment page and re-enrolling with the same contact information with "No notifications" as your desired level.

While this service probably seems simple, I assure you the devil is in the details -- it has been in the works for a year now. If it works well, we may be able to offer it to fans of other teams (who visit SiouxSports.com), soon. Thanks to Kirk for the inspiration.

I was wondering - who actually sends the messages out - if you can say.
There's not a poor SiouxSports.com intern sending hundreds of text messages each period (though that's a funny thing to picture) :) The server sends them, they appear to come from notify@siouxsports.com. That address is unique to the text score notification because sending a text/email to it unsubscribes you.

It worked pretty well last night. The final score went out almost simultaneously with the end of the game. There was an end of 2nd notification, but no end of 1st. All in all, not bad.

There's not a poor SiouxSports.com intern sending hundreds of text messages each period (though that's a funny thing to picture) :) The server sends them, they appear to come from notify@siouxsports.com. That address is unique to the text score notification because sending a text/email to it unsubscribes you.

It worked pretty well last night. The final score went out almost simultaneously with the end of the game. There was an end of 2nd notification, but no end of 1st. All in all, not bad.

Jim,

I signed up to get texted last night. Igot an email but nothing to my cell phone. I am curious of why. Did I register wrong? Let me know what info you need so I can get that corrected. Thanks

I signed up to get texted last night. Igot an email but nothing to my cell phone. I am curious of why. Did I register wrong? Let me know what info you need so I can get that corrected. Thanks

The updates get sent to whatever address you put on the form. If you put a phone number / phone company, the text message gets sent there. If you put an email address, the message gets sent to that email address. That option is available in case your phone company isn't listed or if your mobile device has an email address that you want to specify.

Just unsubscribe your email address (either reply to the note if you still have it, or fill out the form again with your email address specifying "no notifications"), and then resubscribe using your phone number/phone company -OR- the email address at which your phone receives text messages if you know it.

Beware of the SiouxSports telemarketers, collecting your cell phone numbers! :silly:

Thank you, Jim, for implementing this beyond my expectations. I still think it would be worth a few dollars per year to the majority of us. ;)

I love the hilarious visualization of a SiouxSports intern pounding out score updates late on weekend nights, or on their phone at the game. There's opportunity to milk that as the service's theme, slogan or name.

What's up with the photo on the registration page?? I'm in favor of attractive models. However, she looks like she's getting a txt from me rather than having the emotion--or at least interest--in getting a Sioux hockey score.

text.jpg Maybe she's looking at the recent tie score: UND 2 SCSU 2 Final

Or, is she the new, mysterious SiouxSports intern?

Excellent service. A nice way to keep up on the Saturday game while I was stuck at some sit-down charity event. Thank God for open bars. :silly:

haha, wish i could use this, but the one time i would need it, text messaging won't work in the area i will be, (no cell phone signal) definitely a good thing for those of you that can though.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing

I hadn't heard of that company. It looks like you can subscribe using the email address "<your 10-digit number>@message.alltel.com". I can add that as one of the default choices, so you just have to enter your phone number, but for now you can do it using the email address.

I hadn't heard of that company. It looks like you can subscribe using the email address "<your 10-digit number>@message.alltel.com". I can add that as one of the default choices, so you just have to enter your phone number, but for now you can do it using the email address.

Thanks for the quick reply