SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux hockey scores via text message

jimdahl

• 5 weeks later...

I've been meaning to offer this for a while--

While the sign-up page currently only supports signing up for UND notifications, the back-end system should support any team.

If there are any fans of other teams lurking who would like to try this out for your team, just drop me a PM with the necessary details (cell phone number, carrier, and team name) and I can enroll you manually. After that, you can always unenroll yourself simply by responding to one of the text messages.

Were you just abusing the Gopher fans ;) , or was there a time glitch this past weekend?

I have a 612 (Minneapolis) area code, and got updates til 3 in the am. Which is fine, unless you use your cell phone as an alarm clock.

Yeah, I bet we get a few unsubscribes from this weekend :angry: I'll admit I did not anticipate this particular crazy glitch. Though scores don't necessarily come across the wire in a reliably timely fashion, they've always come out consecutively before.

The feeds from Mariucci, however, seemed random. They would put out a score from the 2nd, but then 10 minutes later put out a score from the 1st. While the program wasn't stupid enough to send that score out, it did record the "last seen" score as being from the 1st. Then if Mariucci sent out a score from the 2nd again, it looked like a new one so was resent.

I get a message with every score change, so unlike the 10 or so you got, I got about 30. Needless to say I've patched things. It now ignores any updates in which either score decreases.

Stupid Gophers :lol:

Yeah, I bet we get a few unsubscribes from this weekend :angry: I'll admit I did not anticipate this particular crazy glitch. Though scores don't necessarily come across the wire in a reliably timely fashion, they've always come out consecutively before.

The feeds from Mariucci, however, seemed random. They would put out a score from the 2nd, but then 10 minutes later put out a score from the 1st. While the program wasn't stupid enough to send that score out, it did record the "last seen" score as being from the 1st. Then if Mariucci sent out a score from the 2nd again, it looked like a new one so was resent.

I get a message with every score change, so unlike the 10 or so you got, I got about 30. Needless to say I've patched things. It now ignores any updates in which either score decreases.

Stupid Gophers :lol:

I thought I was dreaming, until shut off my phone alarm, and got this kids up for hockey practice. Turns out it wasn't the alarm, it was a message alert. It wasn't 7:30 am, it was 5 something.

Ahh, well. I had to get up anyway, right?

I got some pretty random scores at odd times too. I was in Minneapolis so I was up on what was actually going on with the games, but if I had been away from a radio or TV I would have been totally confused. Yeah, stupid gophers. Thanks for fixing that. It has been fun mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm suspending this for now. You won't receive any text messages from SiouxSports.com (until further notice).

In short, I continue to have problems getting a reliable feed of NCAA hockey scores. After a very successful trial in the Fall, it appeared worth expanding to a larger trial group of forum readers. The enrollment response just to this posting was overwhelming, so I'll continue to pursue a reliable feed and reinstitute it if/when possible.

I'm suspending this for now. You won't receive any text messages from SiouxSports.com (until further notice).

In short, I continue to have problems getting a reliable feed of NCAA hockey scores. After a very successful trial in the Fall, it appeared worth expanding to a larger trial group of forum readers. The enrollment response just to this posting was overwhelming, so I'll continue to pursue a reliable feed and reinstitute it if/when possible.

Please do. I really enjoy getting the scores when I can't be infront of the computer to listen to the games.

I was looking for the updates this weekend, never happened. Just saw that you stopped them, any chance we can get them back up even if there are glitches. I am willing to see 10-30 messages as long as I know the score!

Especially if those messages are:

UND 3-1 End of 1st

UND 5-2 End of 2nd

UND 7-2 Final

The good news is that I think they'll be back on as of this weekend.

I managed to get them working with a new data provider before the Mankato series, but wanted to test it myself against some real incoming data before sending thousands of messages out to you guys. Then, in unfortunate timing, I was out of the country / away from a computer for the past week, so didn't turn them on for the Duluth series.

I'll browse the logs more carefully to make sure there were no glitches while I was away, but if it went as well as I think it did, I expect to turn them back on tomorrow.

I managed to get them working with a new data provider before the Mankato series, but wanted to test it myself against some real incoming data before sending thousands of messages out to you guys. Then, in unfortunate timing, I was out of the country / away from a computer for the past week, so didn't turn them on for the Duluth series.

I'll browse the logs more carefully to make sure there were no glitches while I was away, but if it went as well as I think it did, I expect to turn them back on tomorrow.

:glare:???;)

Sweet - Thanks again!

Thanks Jim! Worked great this past weekend. I really appreciate your services.

AF1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results of this season's test. Despite not being linked anywhere but this thread, about 500 people were registered and about 15,000 text messages were sent (that poor intern!)

text.jpg

There was one major hiccup (the scores coming in a seemingly random order during the MN series), and a few peculiar delays (scores not showing up for > 1 hr). Overall, though, I personally found it a highly valuable service for the target audience (people not at or otherwise monitoring the games in real-time).

It'll definitely be back next year, probably with a few new options. All subscriptions are hereby cancelled and the thread unpinned, so watch for a new announcement in the Fall!