SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday Night College Hockey

Sioux-cia

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that kind of how SCSU tied it up last night? Weak call, PP, tie. It was a good weekend. Hopefully the Gophs kick UW while they are down next weekend right? :D

I was only running in and out last night watching bits and pieces of the game and didn't see that.

St Cloud really buzzing.

PCM had that suffocating Gopher defense thing spot on. Even EJ getting buzzed tonight.

I think if anything SCSU expose Minnesota this weekend. The Goofer are good but they aren't world beater by any stretch of the imagination. I think SCSU gettting two ties is a win for them and a loss for the Goofs.

Also good for UND.

Would love to have heard Motzko's postgame comments. MN gets a gift PP later in the 3rd and ties it up seconds after the ensuing kill. The guy in the box couldn't have even gotten back in the play, so the PP mattered. Woog even said it was a bogus penalty call, and I agree from what I saw. Of course, Schmidt didn't find it in him to call MN for almost the exact same penalty once SCSU got back down the ice. This isn't one of Goon's MN conspiracy rants. Just a comment about a bad penalty call.

Dagies,

See I think there is something to my conspiracy. :D

I am putting on my Halo (because I don't care, my halo is held up by two horns) Honestly, Minnesota Wisconsin are going to get all the breaks. I personally think the Refs are affraid of Wisconsin and Minnesota, if you think I am all wet, the first clue was when the ref took forever to make the call on the goal that was obviously tipped in with a high stick against C.C. Sheppard took all night to make the call, its like comeon Derek, make the friggen call. I think he was shaking in fear of the repercussions. Adam changing his call in Duluth is another example, if I read it right he changed his mind how many times, make a call and stick with it. I think they are working in fear. The refs are so affraid in fact they dread the thought of the two big schools not in the final Five, so they are going to get the breaks. Its about the money. Seriously... :D

No ones offered a counter argument. I welcome them if you do have one.

I am not the only one that has been saying I got the idea from TH on the coaches show a few years back, at first I thought he was on crack cocaine but I think there is something to it. So that got me watching the penalties calls more closely. Your right Minnesoda and Wisconsin get the most favorable calls.

On the other hand I think UND has peed off the refs in this league. I think it goes back to the Blais era, when Dean used to lobby the refs to call the game the way it is supposed to be called. I agree let the teams play hockey if your hand comes off the stick it should be a penalty. There are a few teams that would be screwed in this league if they called the game like this.

One last point, think back to a few years ago (it may have been 4-5 years now) Kleven made a bad call a against the Goofers and it cost UoMN a game, at the time I thought it was whinning by the Goofer fans, they disciplined the poor kid if I am not mistaken he isn't even refing games anymore. For all practical purposes Donny had him banished from the league, or at least it made i difficult for him. They would have never done that for Hakstol. I personlly think Nate Freeman is worse that than Kleven was.

For all practical purposes Donny had him banished from the league, or at least it made i difficult for him. They would have never done that for Hakstol. I personlly think Nate Freeman is worse that than Kleven was.

Pre-Donny. Wooger got him fired. I have a tape of the game and it was the right call. Mike Schmitt was looking the wrong way when the hit happened so the AR did what he was supposed to do. It was a charge/boarding no doubt about it.

Pre-Donny. Wooger got him fired. I have a tape of the game and it was the right call. Mike Schmitt was looking the wrong way when the hit happened so the AR did what he was supposed to do. It was a charge/boarding no doubt about it.

Are you sure that was Wooger, then that must have happened in the old Ralph. I remember the Goofer fans haveing fits about it.

Dagies,

See I think there is something to my conspiracy. ;)

I am putting on my Halo (because I don't care, my halo is held up by two horns) Honestly, Minnesota Wisconsin are going to get all the breaks. I personally think the Refs are affraid of Wisconsin and Minnesota, if you think I am all wet, the first clue was when the ref took forever to make the call on the goal that was obviously tipped in with a high stick against C.C. Sheppard took all night to make the call, its like comeon Derek, make the friggen call. I think he was shaking in fear of the repercussions. Adam changing his call in Duluth is another example, if I read it right he changed his mind how many times, make a call and stick with it. I think they are working in fear. The refs are so affraid in fact they dread the thought of the two big schools not in the final Five, so they are going to get the breaks. Its about the money. Seriously... ;)

No ones offered a counter argument. I welcome them if you do have one.

I am not the only one that has been saying I got the idea from TH on the coaches show a few years back, at first I thought he was on crack cocaine but I think there is something to it. So that got me watching the penalties calls more closely. Your right Minnesoda and Wisconsin get the most favorable calls.

On the other hand I think UND has peed off the refs in this league. I think it goes back to the Blais era, when Dean used to lobby the refs to call the game the way it is supposed to be called. I agree let the teams play hockey if your hand comes off the stick it should be a penalty. There are a few teams that would be screwed in this league if they called the game like this.

One last point, think back to a few years ago (it may have been 4-5 years now) Kleven made a bad call a against the Goofers and it cost UoMN a game, at the time I thought it was whinning by the Goofer fans, they disciplined the poor kid if I am not mistaken he isn't even refing games anymore. For all practical purposes Donny had him banished from the league, or at least it made i difficult for him. They would have never done that for Hakstol. I personlly think Nate Freeman is worse that than Kleven was.

It never is shocking when UND fans blame the refs for when the UND "halos" lose, and the Gophers get "gimmie" wins (or ties in this case). :D Poor little UND, not a big ten team to get all the breaks......... :D

Now that I think about it I'm not sure. But I am sure about the call.

Maybe we can ask LCGopherFan19 I bet he could tell us.

I thought it was in the REA but it could have been the old ralph too.

Your right on the call though the ref made the right call and Kleven got hammer by the

gopher fans and by the coach.

Back in Stripes

Whistlegate is officially over.

WCHA assistant referee Jay Kleven, suspended indefinitely earlier this season because of questionable calls he made in the Minnesota-North Dakota series in Grand Forks, N.D., was scheduled to be on the ice for the Fighting Sioux's exhibition game with Manitoba last Sunday.

He missed the game because of a family emergency, but Shepherd said the suspension is over. And he's glad, too, because he said the whole situation was blown out of proportion.

"The papers blew it up beyond what it was," Shepherd said. "That really upset me that it was in the papers. That's an internal thing between Jay and myself. It got blown way out of proportion and it's too bad for him, it's too bad for the officials in the league. I talked to the referees and they understood the situation and we went on."

It appears that it happened during the 2000 season.

Kleven

"He used poor judgment," Shepherd said.

But here's where this all gets interesting. North Dakota coach Dean Blais is flabbergasted by this situation.

"I was upset that I read it in the newspaper, first of all," Blais said. "[it]insinuated that we won and tied [against] Minnesota because of home cooking. I reviewed the calls that he made and they were good calls; I was disappointed that there weren't more calls made by the A.R.s, both ways.

"What does that say as a league when a good young official, whether it be a referee or an A.R., is suspended indefinitely? For what reason? He wasn't favoring North Dakota. My point was, we don't seem to get a lot of calls our way anyway. I'm not paranoid. I've been watching hockey a long time. Is that because we're playing the University of Minnesota that happened?"

Sounds like Blaiser noticed what some of us were talking about. Also it was Don Lucia's first year of coaching the rodents, varments, goofers.

It never is shocking when UND fans blame the refs for when the UND "halos" lose, and the Gophers get "gimmie" wins (or ties in this case). :D Poor little UND, not a big ten team to get all the breaks......... :D

No kidding. That post by Goon was embarrassing to read. I'm waiting for one Sioux fan to come on here and tell Goon how ridiculous it is to honestly think that WCHA refs favor the Gophers and Badgers but have it in for the Sioux. I'm not exactly holding my breath. Sure, every program has fans that whine about the refs, but when you make a claim in complete seriousness that the league's refs purposely favor your rivals and purposely hurt your team then you have officially crossed that line into complete delusion.

No kidding. That post by Goon was embarrassing to read. I'm waiting for one Sioux fan to come on here and tell Goon how ridiculous it is to honestly think that WCHA refs favor the Gophers and Badgers but have it in for the Sioux. I'm not exactly holding my breath. Sure, every program has fans that whine about the refs, but when you make a claim in complete seriousness that the league's refs purposely favor your rivals and purposely hurt your team then you have officially crossed that line into complete delusion.

Hey Dill Weed have you read anything your write? Congrats on ruining another thread. If you look I was being sarcastic. :D Although I do think there is some merit to this claim. PCM also backed this point up a bit by saying the NCAA rules committee isn't all that pleased with the WCHA and how they call their games. Chris Dilks even says something about it too by saying the WCHA refs call the game based on situation.

Lastly you haven't given one point how I was wrong. Besides if you read futher you moron you will see that Blaiser says some of the same things. Go back to GPL where you can have your love feast with your superior team. :D

Hey Dill Weed have you read anything your write? Congrats on ruining another thread. If you look I was being sarcastic. :DAlthough I do think there is some merit to this claim. PCM also backed this point up a bit by saying the NCAA rules committee isn't all that pleased with the WCHA and how they call their games. Chris Dilks even says something about it too by saying the WCHA refs call the game based on situation.

Lastly you haven't given one point how I was wrong. Besides if you read futher you moron you will see that Blaiser says some of the same things. Go back to GPL where you can have your love feast with your superior team. :D

You aren't kidding because you just stated that there is some merit to it and you named two people who back up your argument. It's a ridiculous argument to make IMO and you sound more like a St. Cloud, Mankato, or Duluth fan than a fan of an elite program when you make this argument.

You aren't kidding because you just stated that there is some merit to it and you named two people who back up your argument. It's a ridiculous argument to make IMO and you sound more like a St. Cloud, Mankato, or Duluth fan than a fan of an elite program when you make this argument.

troll_bait.gif

Take last night, even Doug Woog thought the call that incidentally went in favor of Minnesota was bad.

It's true the officials are pretty poor, but I do think the refs favor Wisconsin and Minnesota a bit. I've watched the Gopher games where they don't play the Sioux and they've got the calls their way.

On the other hand I'm sure the Gopher fans can point out plenty of bad calls that went against them. So it's hard to separate out any hypothetical bias from the noise of bad officiating.

One example, there's no way that Jay Kleven would have been fired if he made a call like that for Minnesota. By the way the Saturday call he was punished was correct. He called perhaps a bad penalty on Friday. From what I hear Friday Kleven called a legitimate slash on Minnesota, but the Gopher only slashed the Sioux player because he was getting his stick held.

Skippy,

Do you go around arguing with everyone you come in contact with. Life is too damn short. Here, try this take a deep breath, then exhale. Remember your on a UND message board. Well I sound like a SCSU, MSUM and UMD fan. Funny we all are from the same league. Must be some merit in what I said.