SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Mankato

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This series is very important for this team. This weekend was basically a disaster, but the good news is that it was a non-conference series with no points at stake. But next weekend, we'll be playing for points and if we don't get at least 2 points of out 4, that will be a bad omen for this team. Mankato is supposed to be down this year, but I have a feeling we will have our hands full. We can't afford to dig ourselves a hole in the conference standings this early in the year.

I may make it down there but I don't have tix yet. What is the possibility of obtaining tickets at the door? The last couple years it didn't appear to be a sell out but I would hate to get there and then not be able to get in. Why not order early you may ask? I have to work till 5:00 or later on sat. and if that happens I probably wouldn't be able to make the drive in time(via st paul).

Hard to say how this weekend will go. The Sioux need some guys to step up and score some goals. The freshman don't look like they are going to contribute a whole lot offensively this year. I know it is still early but this team does not have the fire power that we are used to seeing. Other than the top line there really are no other forwards on the team that are really have a lot of offensive talent. Kozek was one player I was counting on to step up this year and so far he is stuck on zero goals. If the Sioux are going to have a good year they will need the bottom three lines to chip in some goals. Hopefully this weekend will put a real chip on their shoulder and they can go into Mankato and play well.

Hard to say how this weekend will go. The Sioux need some guys to step up and score some goals. The freshman don't look like they are going to contribute a whole lot offensively this year. I know it is still early but this team does not have the fire power that we are used to seeing. Other than the top line there really are no other forwards on the team that are really have a lot of offensive talent. Kozek was one player I was counting on to step up this year and so far he is stuck on zero goals. If the Sioux are going to have a good year they will need the bottom three lines to chip in some goals. Hopefully this weekend will put a real chip on their shoulder and they can go into Mankato and play well.

Do you have some issue with Zajac's contributions so far?

I agree, though. This team needs to get some scoring all across the lineup. I also expect to see more from Kozek. I still think there is a chance Genoway and Miller will make themselves felt as the year goes along. I believe there's hope, but it sounds like this was an ugly weekend.

This weekend in Mankato will be a good test. Go on the road, and take on a team that, at least as fans, we expect to beat. But winning on the road is tough. This week I would think Hak has the team's ear, and they will be ready to go. No one will be overlooking Mankato after last weekend, and certainly not if Toews is out.

As much as I would love to see Johnny and TJ keep playing together, it may be time to split them up. They are both natural centers and their abilities are similar. It may be what is missing, TJ will make another line better rather than having one super line and three other so-so lines. I mean that with all due respect to the rest of the team.( You don't just get handed a scholarship to play hockey at one of the best programs in the country, so if you're on this team you've earned the right to be there.) Here is my line-up Porter-Toews-Duncan, they had some success last year. Watkins-Oshie-Kozek, I think Watkins' speed and skating ability would be better used out on the wing. TJ plays better in the center spot with his face-off skills and ability to distribute the puck. Kozek would benifit from this situation as well as I think he would have a few more scoring opportunities. Third line would be Fabian-Kaip-Zajac, already proven to be the gritty, hard nosed, hard working line, with Zajac giving them the option of scoring some hard fought goals down in front of the net. The fourth line has endless combinations. Use your imagination, but I think Bishop, Miller, and Martens have all showed they can work hard out there when they have a chance. There are six guys in the mix for playing time on that fourth line every weekend. It may be that we will see different combinations of players all year long on that fourth line (whether that is good or bad remains to be seen I guess). I still think Phil is the man between the pipes, however, I wouldn't have minded seeing Grieco in the net Friday late in the second, it really couldn't have hurt anything at that point. A couple more thoughts. I usually don't like to blame officials, however Don Adams should be cooking french fries at McDonalds, but I'm sure he'd find a way to _uck that up too. Lastly, if anyone thinks the clutching, tripping, spearing, and after-the-whistle crap is going to get any better this weekend in Mankato, they better wake up and smell the coffee now, cause it may be even worse.

As much as I would love to see Johnny and TJ keep playing together, it may be time to split them up. They are both natural centers and their abilities are similar. It may be what is missing, TJ will make another line better rather than having one super line and three other so-so lines. I mean that with all due respect to the rest of the team.( You don't just get handed a scholarship to play hockey at one of the best programs in the country, so if you're on this team you've earned the right to be there.) Here is my line-up Porter-Toews-Duncan, they had some success last year. Watkins-Oshie-Kozek, I think Watkins' speed and skating ability would be better used out on the wing. TJ plays better in the center spot with his face-off skills and ability to distribute the puck. Kozek would benifit from this situation as well as I think he would have a few more scoring opportunities. Third line would be Fabian-Kaip-Zajac, already proven to be the gritty, hard nosed, hard working line, with Zajac giving them the option of scoring some hard fought goals down in front of the net. The fourth line has endless combinations. Use your imagination, but I think Bishop, Miller, and Martens have all showed they can work hard out there when they have a chance. There are six guys in the mix for playing time on that fourth line every weekend. It may be that we will see different combinations of players all year long on that fourth line (whether that is good or bad remains to be seen I guess). I still think Phil is the man between the pipes, however, I wouldn't have minded seeing Grieco in the net Friday late in the second, it really couldn't have hurt anything at that point. A couple more thoughts. I usually don't like to blame officials, however Don Adams should be cooking french fries at McDonalds, but I'm sure he'd find a way to _uck that up too. Lastly, if anyone thinks the clutching, tripping, spearing, and after-the-whistle crap is going to get any better this weekend in Mankato, they better wake up and smell the coffee now, cause it may be even worse.

IMO Duncan's playing up to his level, but I haven't seen TJ or Toews up to their huge potential. Playing around with the lines couldn't hurt. Of course maybe Hak didn't want to play around with the lines against Maine and Wisco.

Would TJ add scoring punch to a checking line? Create some havoc? Just a discussion point.