SiouxSports.com Forum

Und at denver-game 2

Siouxrock

You can't blame these losses on the absence of D. Hale. I know he's an important player on this team, but every team has played without some important players. Comparatively speaking, the Sioux have been one of the healthier teams in the league this year. Good teams find a way to win when they are less than full strength.

3 terrible series in a row...this team is sinking.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that mksioux makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping the team isn't sinking, but they haven't been exactly 'stellar' as of late!!! I too know that D. Hale makes a presence on the ice, but look back to MTU. With a score of 8-zilch the first night, and a loss on the second, one has to hope that Blais has a dusty bag of tricks somewhere in his locker! I'm looking for the Sioux to learn from their mistakes, but I'm hoping that this will happen soon!

My hat's off to Ranfranz on a good showing. From the way Hennesey sounded, he didn't get a bead on the shot, and it is just one of those unfortunate bounces!

I was sitting at the angle the game winning shot was taken. Ranfranz seemed to be heavily screened, and the puck took a wierd bounce. Not his fault.

The Sioux defense kind of broke down in the last 10 seconds of the game. They seemed pretty tired in the Third, but we're gutting it out until that last Denver rush.

Great effort, but we need wins and not moral victories.

It hurts bad to lose with 2 seconds left.

The Sioux were 2 seconds away from coming home with 2 points, just what they hoped for this weekend. It does suck, but the lack of points maybe makes it look like a worse weekend than it was.

D Hale being absent doesn't account for the lack of scoring, however.....

Way to go Ranny. Sounds like he gave the team every chance to win the game.

Well, this is going to be a tough row to hoe here at the end of the season. Duluth looks to be playing awfully well right now. So we have to reckon with Mankato and Duluth in the next weekends. Forgive me if I don't include Bucky in the terribly threatening category right now. Though this team can't look by anyone.

Ouch.

A sweep at Mankato is necessary to get back into the top 3. Seemed impossible that the Sioux would be in this position a couple weeks ago, but 1-4-1 will do that. Got to get back to winning.

Sioux will have to continue losing to finish worse than fourth. Sioux control their own destiny to finish third, but need help to finish higher than that.

After the Gophs KILLED the BADgers last night, I would hope your boys have no problems with them either...and we even had Adam not making good calls after it became a blow-out! Have faith in your squad, they will be in the top 3. Lord knows the JBSU team will implode at any second (hopefully in our last two games of the season)! The Suzzies should have no problem with the Mav's, just don't let them think they have a chance and they fold faster than Favre on Vikeden! In my book I am thinking the top three: CC, Gophs, UND, and only a point or two in between 'em.

WPoS

First, to the poster who says that the absence of David Hale is not the cause of the current swoon, I respectfully disagree. The Sioux defense is not deep, and taking Hale out of the lineup forces the coaches to play Leinweber and Marvin regularly, which is scary. The Sioux have 2 excellent defensemen [Hale and Jones], two good defensemen who are now forced to log too many minutes and play specialty teams [schneider and Fuher], 1 that is very talented but has the same affliction as Commodore did his freshman year and that DiMarchi still has [bonehead Greene] and 2 that should seldom see the ice at crunch time, if at all. Additionally, Hales\'s physical presence is missed as is his ability to not concede the blue line.

Second, there seems to be widespread skepticism about the Sioux. If they split with Mankato [which they should], the Sioux will still take 2nd or 3rd. Recall that they have 2 games in hand with Mankato and Mankato has to go out to CC. If they can hold serve with Mankato this weekend, Mankato will only be 3 points ahead. The Sioux can take 3 of 4 from Duluth and Wisconsin and still finish ahead of Mankato. Minnesota is the wildcard and may finish 2nd. However, they still have Denver at home, Duluth on the road and St. Cloud for a home and away. The Sioux will get home ice, and probably finish in the top 3 of the WCHA. Put it in the bank!

PCM--I agree that scoring has also been an issue, but the loss of Hale also has a lot to do with the lack of scoring. The Sioux have been conceding the blue line, which affects the transition game, and has led to penalties caused by Leinweber, Greene, etc. allowing the forwards to skate around untouched. You may recall the CC game in which they led 3-0 and the 1st CC goal was created because Leinweber was chasing the CC player around like a ballerina. This type of defense has led to more penalties which means the better players are spending too much time killing penalites which also affects the offense. This may not be the only reason for the swoon, but when you are playing good teams like CC and Denver, the impact is huge.

The impact would be less if the Sioux had depth at defense.

Hale was there, so your point is what?Greene is no big loss, but Jones is. As a result, Leinweber was forced to play. Recall also that this was a home series where you should win, CC was missing 2 big players [stuart is an impact defenseman] and we were extremely fortunate to get a tie on Saturday night with 2 late goals. Recall also that the tying goal on Friday was a turnover by Leinweber where he fed the CC player at the point [that was the 2nd time that he did that on that shift]. Thus, all you are doing is making my case.

Rather than debating me on this topic, how about you ask Blais what impact the loss of Hale has had on the team? Also ask Hennessy who has quite a bit of hockey knowledge. If you are correct, then hats off.

I'm not saying that David Hale being out has no impact. Obviously, it hurts to lose a defenseman of his caliber and a team leader. But how do you explain the fact that without Hale, the Sioux shutout Michigan Tech one night?

Against Denver, the goaltending and the defense should have been good enough to win. Lack of scoring is what did the Sioux in. UND outshot Denver in both games. It wasn't as if the forwards didn't have opportunities. On Saturday night, they hit two pipes and Parise missed a wide-open net. Bochenski was stoned on a breakaway. Just getting one of those goals in that game would have been huge.

Marc Ranfranz battles last year's All-American (who has a 92% save percentage) to a 1-1 tie for all but two seconds of a game.

A screened shot finds its way in and they lose 2-1, and team defense is the problem?

Where's that team that was averaging 4+ goals a game?

The mirrors in the Sioux locker room need some serious use this week for soul-searching.

Gotta love this from Jim's link:

In hockey you can lose, but still retain, some sense of your manhood by beating the hell out of the fast-skating, sharp-shooting, pretty boy talent that just lit up the scoreboards on you. You get a stick. There are many things you can do when locked in the cage with a stick and/or fists. It is also much more entertaining to see a team lose as long as they are beating the crap out of someone.

PCM, learned this stickwork at SDSU, eh?

Jim already outed me with that amazingly "insightful" column from the South Dakota State University Collegian, a publication for which I worked in my student days.

Hmm... didn't mean to out anyone. I guess all the posts in which you talk about SDSU were your classic fights with Husby in the D-IAA forum :) At least I didn't say anything about that time the CIA sent us to Cuba to kill Castro.

SDSU is now an ACHA D-III team. Their games actually get pretty good coverage in the Collegian. Clearly someone on the staff there is a fan of the team.

Jim already outed me with that amazingly "insightful" column from the South Dakota State University Collegian, a publication for which I worked in my student days.

Our hockey team at SDSU could loosely be described as a club team, although I'm guessing that's a bit of a stretch. We didn't call ourselves Jackrabbits. We were the State Blades. We didn't even wear SDSU's colors. Instead, we wore red, black and white, which were much closer to SDSU's hated rival, the University of South Dakota.

We had a player-coach who was an SDSU professor. His idea of coaching was to put himself in the game and never come out. Considering that he was a lousy player and quite a bit older than the rest of us, he wasn't extremely popular.

When I talk about my hockey playing days in college, nobody should assume that gives me any special insight into today's college game. We just played because we loved the game and it was fun.

You know, I knew you went to school there, but blanked it out when I heard "hockey". I grew up about 1.5 hours north of Brookings. We didn't know ice was for anything other than doing 360's with the car.