SiouxSports.com Forum

Call Up's

Riverman

Bayda can score all he wants tonight, as long as Jagr scores 1 more. :O

Anyway, here's what the Canes have to say about him:

Bayda was leading AHL Lowell in scoring at the time of his recall on Thursday, and skated with Ron Francis and Jeff O'Neill at practice. Maurice wouldn't say if the line will remain together for Bayda's NHL debut this weekend.

"We like to do that for the first couple of practices," said Maurice. "The guy's nervous, and if you can practice once with Ronnie Francis, then you're a little less nervous the next day. You've already made contact with the big guy."

The 22-year-old University of North Dakota product will see ice time either way, after totaling 11 goals and 32 assists in 53 games for Lowell. As well as a high level of skill, the Canes are impressed with Bayda's overall game.

"There are a lot of young guys who have great skills, but don't have the fight to play and survive at this level," said Maurice. "But he's going to compete to get to the puck first, and not be afraid to get there first, take the hit, and make the play."

Bayda is held off the scoresheet in a 3-1 win. He played a lot though, and even got a little PP time. Lost in last year's disaster was how good he was. Congrats, Ryan, on advancing your dream one step further by playing in the NHL.

Wow! Bayda joining the ranks of the "great" UND players of the past. Just goes to show you why all us fans love the Sioux so much... continued joy after the UND days are gone... too many to count and loving every minute of it (please don't reply the Loverboy song in your head after reading that!). :)

When he got called up, maybe partly because it was to Carolina, which isn't exactly dripping with tradition, it didn't quite seem like he was in the NHL. But his first game was against Jagr, he just scored on Eddie (on a rebound of his own shot), he got called for tripping Mogilny, and his goal was assisted by Ron Francis. Those are names I recognize. I guess he is in the NHL! That's so cool. I hope he makes a good impression and soon becomes an NHL regular.

Following is a great article on Ryan's debut. Credit jen (THE jen) for posting the link on USCHO.

http://www.caneshockey.com/custom/rad0A383.asp

"I really liked his game, because there's an intelligence to it," said Hurricanes head coach Paul Maurice. "He gets the puck down low in our end of the ice. He's not giving it up. He made two or three great plays defensively and offensively and we kept using him. He played a very good game."

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan scored a beautiful goal tonight (his second), going top shelf against Boston and added an assist on Ron Francis' goal to boot. He looked really good out there, getting plenty of minutes throughout, and played on the power play with the big guys. (It was difficult cheering for him and at the same time hoping for a much-needed Bruins victory -- glad it worked out for both.)

Thursday night, Jason Blake is in town against the B's. Should be fun --both teams are battling for a playoff appearance.

EDIT: Our Bruins announcers, going over the recap of the game, just spoke about how good Ryan played, and said he went pro after playing his junior year at the University of North Dakota. I always love it when they give credit where it's due.

Hey Siouxfan in Boston, great win for the B's tonight, I got the hockey package this year and the bruins have not done good since I got NHL center ice. Bayda assisted on Ronny Francis goal 15 seconds into the third period and I thought here we go again.

Any word on Lee Goren? Is he still in Providence?

Goon -- Yes! FINALLY a Bruins win -- it's been a long, long time coming (hopefully, this is a preview of good times to come for the Sioux, too...!).

I checked the P Bruins site and Lee is still listed as being on the roster. I read somewhere that he didn't play the last couple games and don't know why that was. (I didn't see him on the bench tonight or last night, either, for Boston). He is producing offensively for the Baby B's, and I read that he has points (1 goal, 5 assists) in 5 straight games -- I guess that was before missing the last 2. These are his numbers so far this season for Providence (4th on the team; Hilbert is 2nd; Matt Herr 1st):

PROVIDENCE BRUINS PLAYER STATISTICS

-- 2002-2003 --

Updated: March 4, 2003

Goon -- Yes! FINALLY a Bruins win -- it's been a long, long time coming (hopefully, this is a preview of good times to come for the Sioux, too...!).

I checked the P Bruins site and Lee is still listed as being on the roster. I read somewhere that he didn't play the last couple games and don't know why that was. (I didn't see him on the bench tonight or last night, either, for Boston). He is producing offensively for the Baby B's, and I read that he has points (1 goal, 5 assists) in 5 straight games -- I guess that was before missing the last 2. These are his numbers so far this season for Providence (4th on the team; Hilbert is 2nd; Matt Herr 1st):

Way to go (AGAIN), Ryan! Great job. (After hearing the taped interview with Jeff Panzer played between periods last night, it sounds like he's really itching to get his chance, too, and is tired of hearing he's not strong enough yet. I hope it's not too long for him, either.)

Sioux fan in Bean town,

I hope that Boston can keep it going, they came out like gang busters to start the season, but injuries have fallen upon them, lately they have not played well losing to teams like Florida and Tampa Bay. When is Sammy (Samsanov) expected back for the Bruins? I notice he still is not skating with the Bruins.

What do you think Maine lost to UofMass. I bet the fans in Orno are bumming... Wow...

Goon -- Yes, the B's seem to be in a groove now. They almost let it go today, though, so thankfully pulled it out in OT. But, did I hear right that Rolston had a slight concussion? Haven't heard anything lately about when (if) Sammy will be back. We really miss him.

Boston was buzzing on Friday about Maine's loss on Thursday night, but no one really thought UMASS would win the series. What a shock. But, the whole BC-Merrimack fiasco is the top story out here. I saw the replay of the hit and, it's really scary. I just hope Exter is okay -- he's back down to critical condition again tonight.