SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockeys Futures top 50 prospects

driscol

I am not sure what the scouts see in Al Montoyoa but I think he has got to be one of the most overrated goalies I have ever seen. His play in the World Juniors was horrible. Am I missing something with him.

You got to remember that his play in the World Juniors the winter before the draft was remarkable. He led the US to a gold medal in which he was named the Tourney's top goalie. The US would not have won gold if it wasn't for him hence his high draft later that summer. The next year he was awful in the World Juniors in Grand Forks. But I do agree with you now. When I saw him in the AHL all-star festivities last year he looked very average at best and probably looked to be the worst goalie at the all-star game.

Goon,

You are most certainly NOT missing anything regarding Montoya. The blueskirts drafted him so highly based upon a couple of good games in the 2003 WJT. As you say, he stunk it up here in GF. This ranking is based solely upon his high draft status. Furthermore, with Lundquist appearing the be the smurf goalie of the future it is doubtful that Montoya will get much of a chance outside of Hartford unless he is traded.

what PCM failed to post was the positive assesment of Oshie.

"Oshie burst onto the NCAA scene with the powerhouse University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, picking up 44 points as a freshman last season, good enough for the second-highest point total among freshmen in all of Division 1 college hockey. A dynamic offensive presence on a team loaded with weapons both up front and on the point, Oshie, a pure goal scorer, was given plenty of opportunities to fill the net."

what PCM failed to post was the positive assesment of Oshie.

I read that, but the implication of the HF assessment was that Oshie's stats were inflated by two players with whom he seldom played. I also believe that Oshie's linemates benefitted just as much -- if not more -- than he did from playing with them.

Would Zajac have scored UND's fifth goal against Michigan in the NCAA tournament if not for Oshie's hustle, determination and hard work? And anyone who saw T.J.'s outstanding unassisted goal at Denver would know that he didn't need great players around him to make great plays.

I read that, but the implication of the HF assessment was that Oshie's stats were inflated by two players with whom he seldom played. I also believe that Oshie's linemates benefitted just as much -- if not more -- than he did from playing with them.

Would Zajac have scored UND's fifth goal against Michigan in the NCAA tournament if not for Oshie's hustle, determination and hard work? And anyone who saw T.J.'s outstanding unassisted goal at Denver would know that he didn't need great players around him to make great plays.

I think the answer to that is a resounding "nope". I only was able to watch this on tv and on videotape. That was possibly THE most definitive TJ Oshie play of his career.

I think HF just stated what a lot of people in the WCHA are hoping. Oshie and Toews are going to receive the lion's share of the opponents attention this year from day one. Sadly I suspect they were getting plenty of their opponent's attention as they dominated the second half of the season last year and I expect more of the same from them this season.

I think HF just stated what a lot of people in the WCHA are hoping. Oshie and Toews are going to receive the lion's share of the opponents attention this year from day one. Sadly I suspect they were getting plenty of their opponent's attention as they dominated the second half of the season last year and I expect more of the same from them this season.

good points........

I hardly consider Oshie's ranking a diss. All of the forwards on the list are projected to be top 2 line guys and potentially impact players. Many have already played in the NHL. Being top fifty to me is a major accomplishment and certainly a compliment.

Maybe we should look at it from this angle, since Oshie is ranked 45th maybe he will need to stay for his Junior year to get more seasoning. :D

I wonder how much age factored into the equation for those putting together the list? Otherwise you'd think he'd be rated a bit higher. However, this is nothing to be ashamed of - he's in elite company and it's obvious he garners a lot of respect from across the entire hockey community.

I wonder how much age factored into the equation for those putting together the list? Otherwise you'd think he'd be rated a bit higher. However, this is nothing to be ashamed of - he's in elite company and it's obvious he garners a lot of respect from across the entire hockey community.

I think that is right, no one doubted Oshie grit and determination. I feeel this year he will back it up with an even better effort.

Unlike the age bias that haunts discussions on this site from time to time, it is not a factor in considering top Pro prospects. Do you honestly believe that age was a liability for Crosby, Toews or even Boston's Phil the Krill. Besides the obvious skill and performance related assessments, character is more likely to impact one's placement hence the latters recent plunge. Oshie is amongst an elite group and if one is to question his placement, then perhaps a lack of media exposure and hype outside of the midwest is to blame.

Unlike the age bias that haunts discussions on this site from time to time, it is not a factor in considering top Pro prospects. Do you honestly believe that age was a liability for Crosby, Toews or even Boston's Phil the Krill. Besides the obvious skill and performance related assessments, character is more likely to impact one's placement hence the latters recent plunge. Oshie is amongst an elite group and if one is to question his placement, then perhaps a lack of media exposure and hype outside of the midwest is to blame.

Sioux-Habit comes in with another good BINGO.

Oshie is amongst an elite group and if one is to question his placement, then perhaps a lack of media exposure and hype outside of the midwest is to blame.

Oh, so now it's MY fault, is it? :D:love:

I have no idea how these players should be ranked in relation to each other. I simply question the idea that Oshie's success last season had more to do with who he played with than with his own play.

Of Oshie's 45 points, Zajac was involved in 14 of them, Toews 7 and Stafford 3. It only makes sense that Zajac had the most points of the three because he played on the same line as T.J. for a large part of the season. But it also means Oshie had 21 points in which neither Zajac, Stafford nor Toews were involved.

Of Oshie's 45 points, Zajac was involved in 14 of them, Toews 7 and Stafford 3. It only makes sense that Zajac had the most points of the three because he played on the same line as T.J. for a large part of the season. But it also means Oshie had 21 points in which neither Zajac, Stafford nor Toews were involved.

It is as if the people who put that list together, just assumed Oshie was playing on the same line with those guys every game. These lists are fun to read and talk about, informative, and most of the time are pretty accurate, but do not necessarily accurately portray each player.

Oh, so now it's MY fault, is it? :D:lol:

I have no idea how these players should be ranked in relation to each other. I simply question the idea that Oshie's success last season had more to do with who he played with than with his own play.

PCM, it is only thanks to you that everyone in the midwest knows all about the Mighty Oshie. :love: