SiouxSports.com Forum

SCSU president to retire

PCM

From the St. Cloud State University Chronicle:

Saigo announces plans to retire

SCSU President Roy Saigo announced today his plans to retire effective June 30 2007.

"I think it's time to pass the baton and retire with the best interests of the institution and the best interests of Barbara and me," Saigo said. "We've accomplished many issues that were a challenge to this campus"

Saigo noted lawsuits, women's pay equity, students of color, Jewish faculty and American Indian issues as the problems he worked on during his tenure at SCSU.

In case anyone has forgotten, Roy Saigo was the driving force behind the NCAA's policy against the use of American Indain nicknames, imagery and mascots.

In case anyone has forgotten, Roy Saigo was the driving force behind the NCAA's policy against the use of American Indain nicknames, imagery and mascots.

Good maybe he can burn right next to Myles. Maybe they will get a President that will not allow people to get screamed at as they walk into a hockey game. It makes me laugh that SCSU always has 12 white kids outside protesting hte Sioux. They need to get a life.

Saigo noted lawsuits, women's pay equity, students of color, Jewish faculty and American Indian issues as the problems he worked on during his tenure at SCSU.

Saigo added that his proudest accomplishment while leading SCSU was diverting attention from these problems onto the nicknames of other schools. "I really felt that the problems experienced at SCSU were inconsequential when compared to the plight of other schools nicknames. Sure we paid women crap, didn't have any African-American students and had anti-semetic comments directed towards members of our faculty, but none of those matter when Pembroke University are a bunch of poopheads."

Diggler could do more for SCSU as president (not an endorsement of Diggler).

But it's not not an endorsement.

I'm running for President!! Diggler in 2007!!! Vote once! Vote twice!! Vote thrice!!!

But yeah, those aren't really accomplishments. They are expected. An accomplishment would be something like increase enrollment, research funding, success in athletics, admission standards, etc. Being sued and settling the lawsuit isn't an accomplishment.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I knew his position, but didn't realize he was THE driving force. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out, Roy.

One should counter protest the student clowns when one goes to a hockey game. I've done it at Gopher games and it's great fun. Walk right in the middle of them and yell "Go Fighting Sioux!!!!! Fighting Sioux Forever!!!!!". P%%#ssing off the PC maniacs gives me a lot of gratification. Be prepared for the usual "don't be ignorant" and "you're a racist" remarks. Although I should not be surprised, I wonder why they can not come up with anything more creative that these remarks.

Problems he worked on? Uh... Problems he indirectly or directly caused and then fixed as a result is more like it.

DING! DING! DING!

Did SCSU alumni really respect this guy? From what I've seen and read, it seems like he has done nothing but put his personal agenda above the university's.

Saigo added that his proudest accomplishment while leading SCSU was diverting attention from these problems onto the nicknames of other schools. "I really felt that the problems experienced at SCSU were inconsequential when compared to the plight of other schools nicknames. Sure we paid women crap, didn't have any African-American students and had anti-semetic comments directed towards members of our faculty, but none of those matter when Pembroke University are a bunch of poopheads."

:D:love::lol:

But it's not not an endorsement.

I'm running for President!! Diggler in 2007!!! Vote once! Vote twice!! Vote thrice!!!

But yeah, those aren't really accomplishments. They are expected. An accomplishment would be something like increase enrollment, research funding, success in athletics, admission standards, etc. Being sued and settling the lawsuit isn't an accomplishment.

Vote early and vote often. :D

Why roll the eyes? I think we should!

Problems he worked on? Uh... Problems he indirectly or directly caused and then fixed as a result is more like it.

I was being silly, I am all for having a keg party. God knows I love a good screamer of a party.

Maybe I should have put a :lol: instead of a :love:

Don't pat yourself on the back too much there, Roy. You might dislocate your shoulder.

One social justice issue that was of particular concern to Saigo was the use of American Indian mascots for sporting events, especially that of the University of North Dakota.

"I took a stance on the American Indian mascot issue. That was the right thing to do," Saigo said.

According to a press release issued by the University, SCSU hosted a summit on American Indian Mascots in March 2001, and his work with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regarding the use of American Indian images and names as mascots helped create a national dialogue and debate on the issue.

Saigo said SCSU is much better regarding social justice issues than when he came here.

;);):D

DING DONG, THE WITCH IS DEAD!

Although I will forever bleed Green, I have to admit my Diploma says SCSU :silly:, and during the time when all this really got started down there (Class of 2002). We will never forget that Roy is where all this started - he actually had the gall to publicly state that (paraphrased) "it is SCSU's duty and responsibility to make sure that UND changes its name" - and then he ends up on the NCAA Executive Committee... the rest is history.

... and Good Riddance. I do not know of a single SCSU student from the time that respects the man in any way, shape or form.

• 2 weeks later...

Job Position Opening in St. Cloud Paper(not really, but this about sums it up)

Wanted by SCSU: Effeminate, smarmy nattering liberal 3rd-tier state college president to contrive phony p.c. issue to engratiate self with militant fringe faculty staff.

Qualifications: Invertebrate

Skills: None Required

Salary: Obscene

Education: Obscure PhD

Talents: None

Testicles: Optional