SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Enrollment

SiouxMD

Does anybody remember when UND-Ellendale was closed. Was there strong sentiment for keeping it open? A couple of years before my time so I was just wondering what the political climate was then.

The political will to close UND-E was helped by a fire that destroyed one or two buildings, including the library. Pre-fire, I think it was in a worse situation than Mayville is now. When Trinity Bible College expressed interest in the campus, the state jumped at it since it would keep jobs in Ellendale. I don't think a situation like that will be repeated.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Mayville and have plenty of friends who are currently attending Mayville State. So when I read through this thread I had to laugh. There is some worry here that MaSU could eventually be closed. We were talking about some scenarios just the other day. What I was talking about that I wanted to see...

4 year schools

Dickingson State = Western Dakota State University

Minot State = Central Dakota State University

VCSU/MSU = Eastern Dakota State University

I think using the word "combine" for VCSU and MSU would go over better than "closing". One campus would be picked for the new "combined" university. These three schools would be limited to only under-graduate programs. Also, every effort would be made to not double up on as many programs as possible. I also think that changing the names of them would make them more marketable regionally to high school students.

Enrollments: Shoot for in the range of 3-6,000

UND/NDSU

I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to ever think that either of the 2 flagship universities could ever be messed with too much. These 2 would continue to grow their graduate programs, making every effort to not double up on programs unless a huge need is there.

Enrollments: 15,000 slowly growing to 20,000

2 year schools/tech school

WSC, LRSC, BSC and NDSCS

These would remain the states 2 year schools. Bottineau would be closed down. BSC could possible be turned into the states tech school. It would be a good central location for a tech school. Also, the programs at these schools could be aligned with the 4 year schools. Williston State's programs could be lined up with what WDSU (DSU) has, LRSC could be aligned with the programs offered at CDSU (MiSU), and NDSCS could be aligned with EDSU (VCSU).

This idea isn't as drastic as some people are posting on here but it still eliminates one 4-year school and one 2-year school. As people have pointed out, I don't see ND legislatures doing anything too drastic. Getting rid of 1 of each would be a good place to start. And probably about as far as most of ND would let it go.

I would also make sure that every school has a VERY defined roll in the NDUS. It seems that these days, every school in NoDak is trying to add as many programs as possible.

I live in Mayville and have plenty of friends who are currently attending Mayville State. So when I read through this thread I had to laugh. There is some worry here that MaSU could eventually be closed. We were talking about some scenarios just the other day. What I was talking about that I wanted to see...

4 year schools

Dickingson State = Western Dakota State University

Minot State = Central Dakota State University

VCSU/MSU = Eastern Dakota State University

I think using the word "combine" for VCSU and MSU would go over better than "closing". One campus would be picked for the new "combined" university. These three schools would be limited to only under-graduate programs. Also, every effort would be made to not double up on as many programs as possible. I also think that changing the names of them would make them more marketable regionally to high school students.

Enrollments: Shoot for in the range of 3-6,000

UND/NDSU

I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to ever think that either of the 2 flagship universities could ever be messed with too much. These 2 would continue to grow their graduate programs, making every effort to not double up on programs unless a huge need is there.

Enrollments: 15,000 slowly growing to 20,000

2 year schools/tech school

WSC, LRSC, BSC and NDSCS

These would remain the states 2 year schools. Bottineau would be closed down. BSC could possible be turned into the states tech school. It would be a good central location for a tech school. Also, the programs at these schools could be aligned with the 4 year schools. Williston State's programs could be lined up with what WDSU (DSU) has, LRSC could be aligned with the programs offered at CDSU (MiSU), and NDSCS could be aligned with EDSU (VCSU).

This idea isn't as drastic as some people are posting on here but it still eliminates one 4-year school and one 2-year school. As people have pointed out, I don't see ND legislatures doing anything too drastic. Getting rid of 1 of each would be a good place to start. And probably about as far as most of ND would let it go.

I would also make sure that every school has a VERY defined roll in the NDUS. It seems that these days, every school in NoDak is trying to add as many programs as possible.

I seriously think that you have presented a fundamentally sound plan. It is certainly a good point for starting a discussion of the mission for each institution.

I do, however, have to disagree strongly with your last sentence as I do not think there are

enough hills in North Dakota for each school to have a VERY defined roll. On second thought, it

is possible that the bakeries could do some coordination so that each community could have

a distinctive roll.

Reading that story it looks like both NDSU and UND have flattened out in terms of enrollments (plus/minus 1% is "margin of error" territory).

I think we're seeing the direct effects of ND's declining HS aged population.

Case in point:

Look at Hillsboro HS's classes right now. From what I've been told the senior class is about 45; the junior class is about 25 and no class behind that is more than about 32. Hillsboro used to consistently have graduating class sizes well over 50.

This tells me we, as a state, need to relook at the number of institutions in the ND University System.

The statistical concept of margin of error applies to samples taken from a population. In this discussion the focus is on the entire population of students so it is a census, not a sample and accordingly, margin of error is not the term. However, I see what you trying to say. Not sure it is accurate to describe the data as flattening out as NDSU is up and UND has a small drop. You are correct about the high school populations going down in size but both universities have strategies for growth designed to compensate for that well known trend of fewer high school graduates (it was actually mapped out in the 1980s). Some of the strategies involved distance education, increased focus on international students, and older than average students, gradute education, etc etc. It will take a few years to determine if the upward growth will continue or if there will indeed be a leveling off.

• 10 months later...

UND looks west

Once Kyle Fischer gets past the questions about where in the world North Dakota and UND are, he gets down to business and wows his audience with what those places have to offer.

The UND recruiter, or enrollment services representative as it reads on his business card, is finding an attentive audience among community college students in the state of Washington, which has more students who want four-year degrees than there are institutions to serve them.

"People are very interested; they always want to know more about it," Fischer said.

Part of Kupchella's Strat Plan II is for the targeting of students from certain locations out west. I also think they need to look North and get more Canadians at UND.

UND looks west

Part of Kupchella's Strat Plan II is for the targeting of students from certain locations out west. I also think they need to look North and get more Canadians at UND.

I think that since the exchange rate is so good right now, tuition at UND is much more reasonable to the Canadian student. For a long time it was a hard sell to convince Canadian students to pay such a higher amount of tuition (as well as take the ACT or SAT, something not required for college admission in Canada).

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps UND should be looking south for new students as well.

College-bound kids feel pinch of cuts

Wayne Dell should be a cinch to become a Gator.

The 17-year-old senior is enrolled in the prestigious International Baccalaureate program at Pensacola High School, where he has earned college credit.

And he's no slouch when it comes to extracurriculars. He is governor of Key Club, the high school counterpart of Kiwanis. He's president of the National Honor Society and a member of the Pensacola Opera Board of Directors. He's on the student advisory board for Chain Reaction, a volunteer teen organization.

But enrollment caps starting next spring at all 11 state universities mean his chances of getting into Gainesville are less certain.

College admissions officials will also be looking at civic, church and school leadership and athletic activities. When two students with the same grade point average apply, the one who has been more active outside of academics will win out, Spooner said.

"They're looking at a total package

Either thats a hilarious joke, or you are one of the best salesman on earth. I would LOVE to watch a UND admissions counselor go into a Florida high school and try to convince kids that Grand Forks NORTH DAKOTA is the place for them. I'm guessing that would easily be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Granted, selling UND to Floridians wouldn't be an easy task, but part of UND's Strategic Plan is to

Identify target states for recruiting based on criteria such as supply of students, potential for out-migration, tuition agreements, and historical enrollments (e.g., Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Oregon, Washington and Nevada) for focused marketing and recruiting of students. (VPSOS: ongoing).
Florida is the fourth most populated state, so it meets the great supply of students statement and with enrollment caps coming on the 11 universities the potential for out-migration of students will be growing. Now may be the time for UND to capture some of these students.

Edit: As a side note. when I was in college in the early '80's there was geography student in my class from Pensacola. Ironically that is now where I live.

Additionally, there is a well-known GF restaurateur from Long Beach CA, who went to UND and decided to stay in GF and open a bar/restaurant.

NDSU tops UND in first-day enrollment

UND's first day enrollment headcount, released today, came in lower than North Dakota State University's for the first time in the school's 125-year history.

UND counted 12,011 students on campus for its first day of classes, about a 2.5 percent drop from last year's figure of 12,325 students. NDSU counted 12,287 students on its first day of classes, about a 2.5 percent gain over last year's figure of 11,992.

NDSU enrollment passes UND

UND

I think you also have to look at acceptance rates. Fall 2006 Statistics

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/200...legerates_x.htm

NDSU's acceptance rate was 96.5% with 3665 applying and 3538 being accepted.

UND's acceptance rate was 69.2% with 4344 applying and 3006 being accepted

UND is more selective. When it comes to education and prestige, size is not everything.

I think you also have to look at acceptance rates. Fall 2006 Statistics

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/200...legerates_x.htm

NDSU's acceptance rate was 96.5% with 3665 applying and 3538 being accepted.

UND's acceptance rate was 69.2% with 4344 applying and 3006 being accepted

UND is more selective. When it comes to education and prestige, size is not everything.

Interesting. Of course, that's 2004 data. Let's look at 2005.

NDSU's acceptance rate was 89.0% with 3959 applying and 3524 being accepted.

UND's acceptance rate was 73.7% with 3698 applying and 2725 being accepted.

Makes me wonder what the 2006 and 2007 data looks like. BTW, take a look and the huge flip in where students were applying.

Interesting. Of course, that's 2004 data. Let's look at 2005.

NDSU's acceptance rate was 89.0% with 3959 applying and 3524 being accepted.

UND's acceptance rate was 73.7% with 3698 applying and 2725 being accepted.

Makes me wonder what the 2006 and 2007 data looks like. BTW, take a look and the huge flip in where students were applying.

ahhh...i missed that this was from 2004

Hammersmith, I think you posted the admissions for Fall 2006. Anyway, I have to agree that the flip flop of the number of applicants is interesting. UND is still more selective. And the percentage that enrolled tells me that UND was not a "back-up" choice. I wonder if we will see that number change (less selective)

http://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/cool/screen.aspx?screenId=10

UND

Number of applicants 3,698

Percent admitted 73.7%

Percent admitted who enrolled

Full-time 69.0% Part-time 0.8%

NDSU

Number of applicants 3,959

Percent admitted 89.0%

Percent admitted who enrolled

Full-time 56.8% Part-time 2.0%

Kids realized they couldn't get into UND, so they applied to NDSU. :D That also explains UND's acceptance percentage edged back up a little, as those long shots simply didn't apply, as they had earlier.

UND and NDSU have identical acceptance criteria. It's been that way for a few years now. NDSU is not accepting any less-qualified students than UND is getting, because the criteria is the same. It's that UND is recieving a lot more applicants who are not qualified to be college students than NDSU. Obvuisly, that's why UND turns away more students. In fact, one could say that this is happening because lately, more of the less-successful HS students who are unsure of their college entry qualifications are now applying to UND thinking that it will be easier to get in there than NDSU.