SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Tech

OETKB

Well that game was postively disgraceful. Nobody showed up to play an "A" game, and it sounds like they played as well they did during their worst games last season. Now's the time of the season when better teams separate themselves from the pack ... something we haven't done yet. Maybe it's time to start shortening the bench and leave the slackers in the stands.

As for goaltending, we don't have it, from anybody. Good goaltenders are consistent and reliable, and nobody has shown up for more than 2-3 games this season. However, losses can't be laid at Jake or Josh's skates alone. If the rest of the team has the "crap" together, it makes the goaltender's job easier. Like a wiseman once said, "The other team can't score if they don't have the puck." ???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

getting out my shield....there...it is in place....now I await the rocks....

So what happened to your boys? Now it will that much easier for the Gophs to secure second place by the end of the season! ;) Second place will be a fight between our teams I believe, the Mavs and JBSU will be fighting for fourth place. Did your boys get outplayed, out lucked, or out reffed?

Now I will go hide behind said shield...remember dagies invited us over! ???

WPoS

getting out my shield....there...it is in place....now I await the rocks....

So what happened to your boys? Now it will that much easier for the Gophs to secure second place by the end of the season! ;) Second place will be a fight between our teams I believe, the Mavs and JBSU will be fighting for fourth place. Did your boys get outplayed, out lucked, or out reffed?

Now I will go hide behind said shield...remember dagies invited us over! ???

WPoS

Here is my feelings on this subject: I don't understand howcome UND does not have a top line goalie here.

It makes no sense to me. Call me arrogant but UND is a top school in the NCAA they have the second most NCAA title wins, we should be able to expect great goal tending.

Keys to the game, horrible calls by the officials.

Sorry, but I can't agree with that. Although it was Adam, I thought he did a good job overall. The Sioux were 4-11 (2-5 Saturday) on the power play for the weekend while MTU went 0-9.

Horrible effort by Sievbieda.

Siembida didn't play well, but the loss wasn't entirely his fault. Four of the five MTU goals were scored from the slot at close range. Leinweber let a guy get around him to set up one goal. Two others were created when Greene and Fuher made horrendous turnovers. The one goal that wasn't from the slot you could argue was all Siembida's fault, but you also have to admit that it was one hell of a shot.

Horrible effort by the Sioux forwards.

Somewhat true. When you have guys like Bochenski, Parise, Lundbohm, Notermann, Spiewak and Massen on your top two lines, you should be able to score more than two goals. The Hale, Connelly and Prpich line certainly had their chances, too, but couldn't bury them.

Good effort by the MTU goalie, after being feasted on the night before.

It was a good effort by Ellsworth, but I wouldn't call it a "standing on his head" type performance.

I have to agree with Spiewak who said, ""We lost as a team. It was just a bad game for everyone, all around. It was just a whole team breakdown."

Just back from GF. Highlight Friday was the game, with Lola's a close second. Highlight Saturday was Sanders; there was no second.

Although there's a lot of hockey to be played, I think MN took second place Saturday night. That four-point swing will be tough to make up with the remaining schedule. I just hope UND can hang on to third, because fourth is a place you don't want to be. Third will probably be determined by the series at MSUM; I think two points gets UND third place. Getting swept there probably drops the Sioux another slot.

The Sioux D has been good this year, but all five goals were the direct result of defensive miscues. Not one resulted from MTU possession in the zone.

#1 Schneider fans on a puck in the offensive zone, MTU goes the other way with an odd-man rush and scores.

#2 Leinweber just plain gets beat on a rush to the outside. As it was happening, I could see that one of UND's other bigger defensemen probably would have introduced the guy to the boards, but Leinweber couldn't reach him and his move set up the goal. The guy who knocked the puck in was unchecked by (I think) Fuher.

#3 Greene, backing up in his own zone, five seconds after a successful PK, and basically not under pressure, fans on his pass out of the zone. This is a simple pass that he does ten times a game, and probably flubs once out of 100 times, but this was that one time. Because he was moving backwards, the puck just sat there waiting for the MTU player to scoop it up. Although Josh was completely hung out to dry, this is the kind of save I would like to see him make, since he could have bailed out Greene, who has bailed him out many times.

#4 Fuher falls down at his own blue line, allowing the odd-man situation into the zone, and the goal.

#5 Greene pinched because the team was down two, he missed, and the rush the other way led to a goal.

I'll try to think of some more positive comments later, but losing those two key points could really haunt UND this season, if it results in play-in game implications.

I couldn't see the calls in the third too well, but 8 minutes in penalties in the last 11 minutes, when you're down three, isn't much of a formula for a comeback. Being the homer optimist that I am, I still thought they could come back until they spent the rest of the game shorthanded. I'm not blaming the ref, just noting that there was no way they were going to come back and win in that situation.

Eight tough games left; now they have to go win one they weren't supposed to, to get this one back.

Siembida didn't play well, but the loss wasn't entirely his fault. Four of the five MTU goals were scored from the slot at close range.

How long are going to let our goal tending get by with, oh its not their fault, there were like 26 shots on net last night. In the past that has spelled one thing we give up 4-6 goals as a team. That has been the norm when we have had that many shots. The enevitable is happening just it took longer than I expected for the year. UND will probably be sitting home from the Final Five and the NCAA again this season, and I am not happy about it. I think this is unexceptable. I just can't see the way we have been playing, how the hell we are going to even go 4-2 in our next 6 games. It wont' happen we will get swept next weekend and the weekend after if we keep playing this way...

Someone needs to step up and take a leadership role, using excuses about not having Hale is also not exceptable. Face it David could be gone next season. I hope Blais skates the crap out of them next week.

I am not happy at all. Last night was hard to stomach... I can handle getting swept by the Tigers but not by any team named the Huskies...

How long are going to let our goal tending get by with, oh its not their fault, there were like 26 shots on net last night.

If you recall, I was with you early in the season in criticizing UND's goaltending. I was especially concerned when the Sioux were holding opponents to fewer than 20 shots on goal per game, but were giving up three or four goals per game. When the defense played that well, the opponents shouldn't score that many goals.

But last night wasn't that type of situation. The Sioux were giving up odd-man rushes all night. They were getting beat, making terrible passes and giving away the puck at the worst possible time. There's no way you can blame that all on Siembida. Yes, he wasn't mentally sharp, but the same could be said for most of the team.

I can't speak for Goon on the subject, but I don't blame the loss last night totally on Josh. I think the point that is being made here, is that the goaltending is not even close to championship calibre, whereas, the rest of the team is. Granted, the whole team played like crap last night and that sucked, but it does happen from time to time in a season. My concern isn't based just on last night though, it is on the entire season and what will happen down the stretch here. In a single elimination tournament, you have to have the type of goaltending that can steal a game for you if the rest of the team is off a bit, and the Sioux don't have that. Even if the rest of your team is on come tourney time, you can run into another hot goalie who pretty much shuts your team down to 1-2 goals. The Sioux won't win a game like that because our tenders will let in 3-5 goals.

My frustration comes from the Sioux staff doing a great job recruiting the other positions really well, but have just forgot about goaltending and now we have a team that could win it all, but probably won't because of our goaltending. Why can't one of the top programs bring in a netminder that is solid? I think that is the area of concern for some of us.

Here is my feelings on this subject: I don't understand howcome UND does not have a top line goalie here.

Apparently nobody remembers that Siembida was being recruited by many top schools when Blais snatched him up. Michigan State was considering him as Ryan Miller's replacement. When Siembida helped the Sioux win the GLI and they just missed sweeping the Gophers at home, he was the biggest story in college hockey. Everyone thought Blais was a genius for bringing him in early.

I also remember people being excited about Brandt and Ranfranz coming here because they both had some impressive credentials. But none of the current crop of goalies has met expectations and maybe part of that is the lack of a goalie coach. I hope Craig Perry can help solve that problem.

And how you can start badmouthing furture recruits before they've even played a game in a Sioux jersey is beyond me.

Face it. We've all been spoiled by four years of Karl Goehring.

It's easy to place a loss solely on a goaltender. However, if the rest of the team is screwing up, getting out of position, getting lazy or just not into the game, THEY are going to lose. If we give up numerous odd-man rushes, or make stupid clearing passes to the other guy, ANY goalie is going to have problems.

I recall Karl, and earlier Aaron Schweitzer, being put in the same position as Jake and Josh. Sometimes they'd make great, highlight reel saves, and other times they'd get their heads handed to them. Until every member of this squad plays 100% every shift, every night, our "weakness" at goalie is only going to be magnified. That said, a goalie has to have their head into their game and not let in fluttering 50 foot shots. ???

A goalie coach will probably only benefit our goalies over time, but no amount of coaching is going to rectify poor mental and physical efforts by the other guys.

OK, I don't know why I'm going to try to console you people, but here goes ??? .

If the Sioux play at a level of which they are capable, you will be watching this team in the WCHA Final Five and the NCAA tournament. Goaltending does seem to be an issue for your club, but it seems to have been that way the entire year. The Sioux can be a dominant defensive team when on their game, and thus make the goaltending situation almost a moot point. Hauser definitely stepped up for the Gophers last year, but it was their team defense that allowed them to win it all (along with some very offensively skilled players). While there may not currently be a Sioux goaltender on par with the Hauser of last season, they have the capability to knock off anyone in the country. Right now, your team is within spitting distance of a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Things would have to go horribly wrong for them to not make it in the 16 team format. IMO, there are several teams that could win it all if they are playing their best come March, and the Sioux are one of them. You have to remember that this is the toughest league in college hockey. Nobody will win all the games they are supposed to win. Bad games happen and provide an excellent opportunity for the coaching staff to right the ship. With Deano at the helm, I'm sure the Sioux will "recover" from this loss. If they can improve because of this, it will be a blessing in disguise. I look back to the WCHA playoff championship loss to Denver last season as a HUGE piece to the Gophers winning the NC a couple weeks later. They realized that they had to work hard for every victory, even when playing in front of 19,000 partisan fans on their side.

The Sioux's season is nowhere near over. After last season, you should enjoy the fact that you have one of the best teams in the country. There are plenty of Gopher fans that have been crying "doom and gloom" at various points this season. But if you asked most of them how they feel right now (after the Saturday victory at CC), they would have a smile on their face.

It's a long season and we are getting close to crunch time. Get hot and anything can happen for our two respective programs.

OK, this therapy session has gone on far too long. Besides, I'm starting to feel dirty talking up the Sioux so much.

Sorry for the dissertation.

In no way am I soley blaming the loss, or any losses on the goaltending. I am pointing out that there is no room for error on this team because the Sioux don't have solid goaltending. I could be way off, but I think some of the sloppy play by the D lately could also be because they are getting tired at this stage of the season. They have spent most of the year bailing out the goaltending on many occassions. Again I state at some point, one of these guys is going to have to steal a game for the Sioux and I don't think they can do it, just my opinion though and if I am proven wrong, great I would love to be and will be the first to say so.

OK, I don't know why I'm going to try to console you people, but here goes ??? .

If the Sioux play at a level of which they are capable, you will be watching this team in the WCHA Final Five and the NCAA tournament. Goaltending does seem to be an issue for your club, but it seems to have been that way the entire year. The Sioux can be a dominant defensive team when on their game, and thus make the goaltending situation almost a moot point. Hauser definitely stepped up for the Gophers last year, but it was their team defense that allowed them to win it all (along with some very offensively skilled players). While there may not currently be a Sioux goaltender on par with the Hauser of last season, they have the capability to knock off anyone in the country. Right now, your team is within spitting distance of a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Things would have to go horribly wrong for them to not make it in the 16 team format. IMO, there are several teams that could win it all if they are playing their best come March, and the Sioux are one of them. You have to remember that this is the toughest league in college hockey. Nobody will win all the games they are supposed to win. Bad games happen and provide an excellent opportunity for the coaching staff to right the ship. With Deano at the helm, I'm sure the Sioux will "recover" from this loss. If they can improve because of this, it will be a blessing in disguise. I look back to the WCHA playoff championship loss to Denver last season as a HUGE piece to the Gophers winning the NC a couple weeks later. They realized that they had to work hard for every victory, even when playing in front of 19,000 partisan fans on their side.

The Sioux's season is nowhere near over. After last season, you should enjoy the fact that you have one of the best teams in the country. There are plenty of Gopher fans that have been crying "doom and gloom" at various points this season. But if you asked most of them how they feel right now (after the Saturday victory at CC), they would have a smile on their face.

It's a long season and we are getting close to crunch time. Get hot and anything can happen for our two respective programs.

OK, this therapy session has gone on far too long. Besides, I'm starting to feel dirty talking up the Sioux so much.

Sorry for the dissertation.

Hey that was well written. I like that dissertation...

I can't speak for Goon on the subject, but I don't blame the loss last night totally on Josh. I think the point that is being made here, is that the goaltending is not even close to championship calibre, whereas, the rest of the team is. Granted, the whole team played like crap last night and that sucked, but it does happen from time to time in a season. My concern isn't based just on last night though, it is on the entire season and what will happen down the stretch here. In a single elimination tournament, you have to have the type of goaltending that can steal a game for you if the rest of the team is off a bit, and the Sioux don't have that. Even if the rest of your team is on come tourney time, you can run into another hot goalie who pretty much shuts your team down to 1-2 goals. The Sioux won't win a game like that because our tenders will let in 3-5 goals.

My frustration comes from the Sioux staff doing a great job recruiting the other positions really well, but have just forgot about goaltending and now we have a team that could win it all, but probably won't because of our goaltending. Why can't one of the top programs bring in a netminder that is solid? I think that is the area of concern for some of us.

If you look at my post earlier, I said there were many factors to the loss, 50 feet goals show that the goalie isn't into it...

I think the Sioux just played crappy after pounding a weak team the night before. I don't MTU is going to beat UND again this year if they meet in the playoffs.

Sure this will serve as a very powerful learning tool, now I hope now CB has the teams full attention. Its hard to play hard every night, granted and understood. Besides were also talking kids that is also a given and the pros don't win every night either, however, I don't understand why Blais keeps coming back with a goalie that has proven he can't stop a beach ball some nights. I though Brandt played decent in mop up and I for the life of me don't understand why Jake isn't starting all the games. I think UND has a better chance of winning with Jake in net...

I don't understand why Blais keeps coming back with a goalie that has proven he can't stop a beach ball some nights.

Yeah, I wonder about that myself. The only reason I can think of is that Siembida might be the most athletically gifted of all the Sioux goalies. But that's just a guess.

Lets look at this issue one more time. Hum I have been hard on Josh this season eh, well after looking at the number I think we have every right to address this problem/issue. Lets face it, Josh isn't it. I don't think he ever will be either. Here are the numbers of the top goalies in the WCHA/NCAA. No where do I see Josh's name, and it makes me wounder why Blaiser didn't play Brandt except in mop up duty.

forecheck- i can agree with most of your statements but............every team needs their goalie to make 3 big saves a game. it doesn't matter if a defensmen gets beat or the other team has a few odd man rushes. once in a while the goalie has got to be capable of bailing them out. Siembida has proven to be unreliable in those situations.

You are totally missing the point, Goon. There isn't a single person on this board who isn't at least somewhat concerned about goaltending, but you still remain the only fan who constantly launches personal attacks against Siembida. There is nothing wrong with being critical of a player's performance (as I'm about to do below), but the fact is, Josh is a part of this team, so you may as well support him.

There comes a time when a player needs to take some pride in his play. Until Josh consitantly starts playing at a level that is consistant and expected of a division one athlete I will be on him. As far as I am concerned he has not shown that this season. It frustrating, disapointing and I don't see it changing. I have the right to criticize him because his play has been inadequate. I am not the only one that personally brings his short comings to the fore front either there are others. Beside why do you care? Are you satisfied with second rate goaltending? Are you satisfied with the way the weekend went, I am not. I also didn't blame all of it on the goaltending but, it was a major reason.

#1 Schneider fans on a puck in the offensive zone, MTU goes the other way with an odd-man rush and scores.

#2 Leinweber just plain gets beat on a rush to the outside. As it was happening, I could see that one of UND's other bigger defensemen probably would have introduced the guy to the boards, but Leinweber couldn't reach him and his move set up the goal. The guy who knocked the puck in was unchecked by (I think) Fuher.

#3 Greene, backing up in his own zone, five seconds after a successful PK, and basically not under pressure, fans on his pass out of the zone. This is a simple pass that he does ten times a game, and probably flubs once out of 100 times, but this was that one time. Because he was moving backwards, the puck just sat there waiting for the MTU player to scoop it up. Although Josh was completely hung out to dry, this is the kind of save I would like to see him make, since he could have bailed out Greene, who has bailed him out many times.

#4 Fuher falls down at his own blue line, allowing the odd-man situation into the zone, and the goal.

#5 Greene pinched because the team was down two, he missed, and the rush the other way led to a goal.

I agree, and would like to expand.

1. The shot was perfect. (I still swear I saw it off the glass but there it was in the net.) Josh was fundamentally sound on that one. He was out and had the angle. The shooter found the pipe in the far corner.

2. Leinweber? I had an Albany 2001 flashback. He got beat to the outside and deep, again. I had "that feeling" when I saw it forming up. Chris, hit somebody, and be malicious about it please. Outside of that, where were the guys covering the trailers?

3. I hate to say it, but from my angle, the ice was still damp where Greene had his problem. Still, he should have gone up the boards and out of the zone with it when he had the chance a second before.

4. Nick's skates just came out from under him. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

5. The team was pressing. That happens.

Somebody said that you need a goalie to make three big saves per game. I'd argue that Josh made two of them. Look at some of the scrums in front where Tech didn't score. It was Josh that stopped those. The one that he couldn't stop that was really needed, and ended up being the back-breaker, was the miscue by Greene. I can't blame Josh for that. He was hung out.

I saw nothing that was not fixable.

Used properly, this big mouthful of "losing stinks" just may be a good reminder of how one would choose to not spend the summer.