SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Tech

OETKB

Well, UND proved tonight that they could rebound decently from a rather embarrasing weekend vs. CC. One of the most pleasant surprises Friday was that UND got (gasp) great goaltending out of Josh Siembida.

Blais is saying in the postgame show he is still not satisfied with his line combinations or the puck movement out of the defensive zone. This weekend means 4 important points for UND, who are again struggling for credibility and a high spot in the standings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND really ought to hire C. Perry on as a part-time assistant coach for goaltenders. He has helped Josh to stay on his feet more and "Play bigger" than 5' 10". He must have some good teaching skills.

Also, he really has some good analytical skills. He was interesting to listen to with Tim, tonight.

UND really ought to hire C. Perry on as a part-time assistant coach for goaltenders. He has helped Josh to stay on his feet more and "Play bigger" than 5' 10". He must have some good teaching skills.

Also, he really has some good analytical skills. He was interesting to listen to with Tim, tonight.

I was really pulling for Josh tonight, good for him. As many have stated we need a goalie coach.

I am not ready to retract my send Josh up the River statement but, I was very pleased.

Is MTU dirty, same crap different year.

Having a son that is a goalie, and watching a goalie's every move, I think Josh deserved the game (shutout) he played/got tonight! As I mentioned to my son during the game, and I hope I don't have to retract, I think tonight is exactly what Josh needed. I say this because I noticed that he was in the net tonight, and not sprawled out all over the white....when he should have been in the blue! There were a few times when he played too far out of the net, but if he has any tending skills, he will realize that he played well in the crease!

A few of the saves tonight resembled the play of Osgood. I'm smart enough not to put him in that caliber, but I have watched a lot of goalie's....mainly on TV when you get to Osgood/Roy caliber. However, I see good things in Josh, but he needs to realize that out of every 500 goalies, he's one of the luckiest guys in the States! Not many get to play at this level....in face VERY few do! But, I think with his tally of an assist and a shutout with the 10-12 standout saves, the 2 or 3 lucky ones where he was out of position will be the ones that stick out.....and they will happen less often.

I'm putting a lot of stock in this kid with my comments, but if he has a passion for the game, it's in his court now! I'm SO hoping that Blais will start him again on Saturday. I want to go further here though.....I'm also hoping he will stay in position and make people see what he is capable of in this game. We all have it, and I truly think Josh does, but it's all up to him! Now, I want to go a step further! I am hoping that he (and I know you will all hate me unless you see where I'm going here) will have a game where the team is in a slump, and he pulls some heroic saves out of his bag of tricks. After the struggle he had last season, and I'm adding all the factors in the equation, I think he needs to find the confidence within, and capitalize on it. Now, I also realize I'm putting all my chips on one longshot.....but it doesn't have to be that way. I really believe in Josh....although he has been less-than impressive so far this season.....and I think that if he gains the confidence from within, he can lead us (as fans) to a National Championship.

He has the basics, but as I told my son, anyone can put a set of pad's on a fish and watch him flop around....and sad as it may seem....you're not gonna keep an audience with an act like that! Am I right?????

I really like seeing Connelly up on the 2nd line with Lundbohm and Massen. I think he's been playing really well since Christmas. He's played hard and been effective as a forechecker, and cycling the puck.

Can anyone comment on his play last night?

daigies, it's tough for me to single out any player on any line because last night, they all looked good. Connelly continued to play as hard and as well as he has been. He just keeps missing on scoring opportunities. He had a couple of good opportunities against MTU and just couldn't cash in. You figure it's just a matter of time before he buries some of them.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. You've kicked Josh off the team more times than I can count, and have ragged on him all season. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Sioux fans should not be calling him "Sievebida." Save it for the Gopher fans. s&!t, the kid just turned 20 yesterday, and you hold him to NHL standards. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but my opinion is that you have never been pulling for Josh, and I find it interesting that you begin to now after his first shut out.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Fine your entitled to your opinion, I have not problem with that at all. Also, I am entitled to my opinion, neither is right... However, Josh has not shown he deserves to play at the Division One level until the last couple of nights, I also think it is still decision time. I think Blais will come back with him tonight because it is Michigan Tech, and I think we can win with Josh in net. However, I still dont have a lot of confidence in him. Not like I do with Brandt...

I also believe that if Josh can' t cut it for the rest of the decision maybe we need to cut our loses with him.

Matt Greene only had one penalty last night -- the offsetting roughing minor at 19:17 of the 1st period. (my note: that was one of the "tamest" roughing calls I've seen) He had a nice game (a couple of icings on missed break out passes). Whatever the captains and/or coaches said to him regarding penalties must have really sunk in. Good Job!!

It was really interesting listening to the color provided by Craig Perry last night -- he didn't comment too much on Josh's form -- but he really broke down what Cam E. (goalie for Tech) was doing wrong (pointed out his footing and the use of glove and areas he was particularily vulnerable to). Not to say that previous color guys haven't done that, it's just that knowing he's been working with Josh I probably listened better to him when he was talking about the goalie. (Is this the 3rd series he's done this year?)

Well, I don't think losing this game tonite was a good idea.

Tech has shown the ability to win a few games against good teams this year. We needed the points and its going to hurt losing these points in the long run. These are the points that could determine a 2nd or 3rd place finish. I don't think we could afford to let these slip away. Certainly there is no more room for error this season.

Josh lets up 4 goals in 16 shots again. I was hoping he would be able to build on last night.

Blais comments after the game were critical of the mental prep of the whole team, the play of the defense and the goaltenders.

Blais said guys were out watching the jumbotron at 6:10. Said you can't do that and expect to be mentally ready to play a game at 7pm.

No defenseman played well "all week". Said they were just terrible making the first transition pass.

5 goals on 20 shots "not good hockey".

Also critical that there was little offense created by anyone other than the #1 line. Did give props to R Hale and Connelly who created some chances but didn't convert.

I would think it won't be a fun week in practice.

Josh lets up 4 goals in 16 shots again.  I was hoping he would be able to build on last night.
I feel sorry for Josh for what Goon is about to say.... ???

We needed the points and its going to hurt losing these points in the long run
This series and CC's success this weekend pretty much guarantee we can't hit 1st. However, this season is FAR from over. One can't forget the example of Minnesota last year. This is our first loss to a team not at the top, and frankly, MTech is no cupcake -- they're a TUC right now with a win against SCSU and ties against Minnesota and CC.

Hopefully these last two weeks are teaching a lesson. We have to work for every win, they're not guaranteed because of our success in previous games. 2nd is still ours to lose.

Sounded like the D played terrible. Out of position and poor outlet passing all night. Blais said they had a bad week of practice that carried over into the weekend. Lucky everything went in last night.

Trying to win the McNaughton definately slipped further away. Would be helpful if CC goes on to win tonight to help the Sioux maintain a hold on second.

I believe that the Sioux played an average game, but Michigan Tech. came to play some serious defensive hockey. The Sioux need to quit playing down to their opponent's level, and start getting some consistency at this point in the season. Each point from here on through the end of the season MATTER. With the talent this team has individually, it's surprising that they have any 1 goal squeakers at all. They should be dominating, blowing teams away, but something in the equation isn't there....and I believe it's inner-drive consistency.

I watched the game on TV tonight, and what I saw was MTU playing very defensively, not giving up many "great" opportunities for the Sioux to score, and a different tender in the net at each end. The passing didn't look great for the Sioux, but I think MTU's defense had a lot to do with that. However, I don't think anyone should bash Siembeda, because it was a team loss and Blais was "candid" about that after the game. Hennesey's interview, as quoted above, showed a Blais that was frustrated in his team. I think that the goals that got by were stoppable, but put yourself in Josh's shoes this game, and I think the shots would have looked a lot tougher than we (as fans) saw. I agree, a couple of them were weak, but I think he was depending on the same defense to show up for this game than were at Friday's game. As everyone will say, he's no Goehring, but he had a tough game tonight.

I just feel that some of what I said has a little merit, and thought that someone should say it.

Okay, now I can exhale. While Saturday night's loss to MTU was certainly disappointing and very uncharacteristic of this team, I knew there would come a point this season when the Sioux lost to a team they should beat.

It happens to the best of teams, and it's happened to some of the best teams Blais has put on the ice. Cases in point:

Jan. 2, 1999 - UND 8, Notre Dame 1. Jan. 3, 1999 - UND 3, Notre Dame 4.

Dec. 10, 1999 - UND 7, Denver 3. Dec. 11, 1999 - UND 2, Denver 7.

The question now is, what do the players and coaches do about it? I'm sure everyone has read or heard Blais' post-game comments in which he talked about the team not being mentally prepared. Everyone should now have the message that they can't take any opponent for granted. The team needs to get back to doing what made it successful.

Kevin Spiewak was the only Sioux player to talk to the media after the game and I can tell you that he took the loss very, very hard. And while I felt badly for him, I think it's a good sign that the team leaders are upset about what happened. The team can learn from this experience, build on it and be stronger for it.

Let's see what happens in Denver.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. You've kicked Josh off the team more times than I can count, and have ragged on him all season. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Sioux fans should not be calling him "Sievebida." Save it for the Gopher fans. s&!t, the kid just turned 20 yesterday, and you hold him to NHL standards. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but my opinion is that you have never been pulling for Josh, and I find it interesting that you begin to now after his first shut out.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

PCM,

Don't forget the 2000-01 season. Coming off a national championship, UND lost to Michigan Tech 5-4 during their first home game of the season, a game they obviously should not have lost. They also tied Tech on the road later that same season.

Of course we all know UND ended up playing in the national championship game in 2001.

Can the same thing happen again this year . . . . .