SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach's Show

forecheck

Well, I don't know about PCM, but I had the coach's show summary all typed up, went to submit it, and I couldn't because some updates were being made to the board. Somehow in there I lost all my words, so this is just from my mushy, overworked memory. :)

The same caller who asked Assistant Coach Berry a couple weeks ago about new goaltenders called in tonight to ask Blais if they were looking at bringing someone in besides Sedevie and Lamaroux. CB says no, Jake is playing well right now, and Siembida played all right considering he hasn't played in 6 weeks.

Another caller asked if Sedevie was going to be redshirted next year, and CB said no. Caller asks how many goalies one team can have, and CB laughs and says lots. Ranfranz has played well in the chances he's gotten and plays well in practice. Jake has been playing well, and he may have let in one bad goal last weekend, but it certainly didn't lose the game. Siembida has been working with Craig ?, who used to be a goaltender and volunteered to come in and work with the goalies. Siembida has been looking better since then. Caller asks if next year will be the first year that the team will have more goalies than forwards. More laughs. They went on and talked about the series with CC and the upcoming series with Tech a bit.

These upcoming points are crucial for UND. CB figures the team needs to go 7-3 in order to catch up with CC and maintain 2nd place. Tech is just loose as can be right now, and they're just sitting back and smiling for this weekend. UND needs 4 points.

There is still talk amongst the team about staying undefeated at home this year.

CB thinks CC could be the best team in the nation right now, but in two months, who knows. Right now they have Cullen, and Cullen boys are always talented and work hard. They have Senja, who has a good chance at winning the Hobey, and they found a surprise in good goaltending, which was a bit of a question mark at the beginning of the year. CB thinks that goaltending was a big factor in the series with CC. UND outshot them in the 3rd period something like 15-7, and their goalie came up with some great saves. The second period was just a wash with all the penalties. The top players were tired from playing on special teams all night, and it slowed down the game. A caller asked if CC is hitting a peak, and CB said it happens and is certainly possible. He also doesn't think the Sioux have hit their peak yet. There have been times where CB thought they could beat anyone in the nation, but they are still showing signs of improvement and areas in need of improvement. This team was expected to be better than last year, but no one expected to be 4th in the nation. The next few years could be really good. Caller mentions he would like to see CC win the next few games in a row, then go lax.

The coaches thought that the R. Hale, Spiewak, and McMahon line could create a spark for the series, and they didn't, which in part was due to the line they were matched up against. They just got outplayed. Genoway's line, however, played very well against Senja's line. Senja didn't get one shot off against them, and CB said it was too bad because that line should have played more last weekend than they did because they were playing so well.

Tim says that with David Hale playing, the team earns at least a split. (I wasn't sure if he was talking about at CC, or just in general.) He is the heart and soul of the team, and if not the MVP, then pretty close. It hurt the team mentally as well as physically to have him suddenly out of the lineup. Also talked about how it was hard to adjust so suddenly when the team learned Hale wouldn't be playing, and that this week they will be prepared to play without him, because he definitely won't be playing Friday, and possibly not Saturday. The team doctor and trainer are going to look at him, and say hey you lost 12-13 pounds, you're not playing. Right now they just want him to get healthy.

Blais is going to bring up to the NCAA this year that all college rinks should have a standardized size. He's expecting a lot of people to be upset about that one. There was some joking that hey, maybe they'll build a rink next year that's only 75 feet. CB says the Sioux are a good skating team, and he doesn't think the big ice hinders the team, but it can slow the game down a bit, and you don't want stay at home defensemen like Greene and Leinweber carrying the puck in the neutral zone. Their job is to get it up to the forwards. CC's defensemen are more offensive and carry the puck more into their zone.

That's all I can remember for now. This is TOTALLY just from my memory, so no quoting me visiting fans. ;)

Well, I don't know about PCM, but I had the coach's show summary all typed up, went to submit it, and I couldn't because some updates were being made to the board.  Somehow in there I lost all my words, so this is just from my mushy, overworked memory.  :)

Wow, I'm really very sorry about that. I even double-checked the active list ahead of time to make certain no one was in the middle of composing a post. I guess if you were composing throughout the entire show, it thought you were idle for 30 minutes so didn't list you as active anymore. My fault for doing maintenance on coach's show night, I guess.

forecheck did such a great job with her total recall of the coaches show that I have nothing to add to her excellent synopsis. :)

I listened to the show, but I was in the process of writing an article about David Hale for USCHO based on my interview with him Wednesday evening. With any luck, the story will be posted there before too long.

Edit: My USCHO article on David Hale can be found here.

Siembida has been working with Craig ?, who used to be a goaltender and volunteered to come in and work with the goalies.

Craig Perry -- former UND goalie -- I believe he's employed with the GF school system --- anyone with more info......

What is the league decides to make all rinks Olympic size? That effects the REA quite a bit.

I suspect that Blais wants the NCAA to mandate that all rinks be the same size, not the WCHA. Aren't most rinks in other leagues NHL size or as least closer to NHL specs than Olympic specs?

I suspect that Blais wants the NCAA to mandate that all rinks be the same size, not the WCHA. Aren't most rinks in other leagues NHL size or as least closer to NHL specs than Olympic specs?

I heard the proposal would be the rink had to be regulation North American size OR it would have to have 4000 Fighting Sioux logos on it. I may have gotten it wrong ... I don't have total recall anymore ....

Craig Perry -- former UND goalie -- I believe he's employed with the GF school system --- anyone with more info......

He played for the Sioux in 83/84 season. Was a backup to Jon Casey. Also coached at UND under Gino Gasparini in 91/92 and 93/94. He was GF Central's hockey coach for a while in the 90's. He is now the athletic director for GF Public Schools.

Aren't most rinks in other leagues NHL size or as least closer to NHL specs than Olympic specs?

League, wide ice (>90'), North American (90' or less), unknown.

HEA: 2, 7, 0

ECAC: 0, 12, 0

MAAC: 0, 10, 1

CCHA: 2, 10, 0

WCHA: 6, 4, 0

CHA: 0, 5, 1

Total: 10, 48, 2

I know what the NCAA says (wide, meaning 100' Olympic, or as close as possible), but those glaciers, like at Mariucci, are the exception in the college game.

Why does the WCHA have such a high number of Olympic sized rinks compared to other leagues? With how strict the NCAA rules are about everything else, I would only have assumed that when new rinks are built, they would be required to install a certain size ice. It doesn't make sense to me.

Standardization would only be a good thing. Can you imagine if UND had a 150-yd football field because it liked to develop a long passing game, or a wider basketball court because it favored faster players? Such variations would take away from the sport. The only reason that college hockey doesn't have a standardized playing surface is because it's an immature sport; frankly, this sort of lack of development holds the sport back.

That said, no one should be expected to retrofit existing rinks, but I would welcome a policy that required that future rinks be built to a common specification. It was just in the 90s that the "suggestion" came down that all future rinks should be built Olympic size, but that didn't really take. I think the sport is grown up enough that the NCAA can lay down an actual rule to eventually ensure that hockey has a standard surface.

In my opinion, standardizing on the dimensions used by the NHL would be smartest because it would help college hockey be a farm for the NHL and provide for the best growth of the sport; however, my argument in this area is far less impassioned than my argument that the playing surface NEEDS standardization.

I've always advocated a uniform rink size. Virutally every other sport has uniform requirements for courts, fields, etc.

I know there was some talk about Minnesota reducing its rink size a few years ago. However, the main motivation was to put more seats closer to the ice, rather than having an NHL size sheet.

I disagree with standardizing the rink size. Baseball wouldn't be baseball with standardized measurements. So for much of the same reasons I enjoy the added wrinkle that different rink sizes add to the game of hockey. Wouldn't it be sweet to see a game played on a rink shaped like (and the size of) the old Polo Grounds?

Tim and Swyg had Associate Coach David Hakstol (ACH) on this morning. There were a few glitches .... ACH didn't call at the exact appointed time (7:30am) so Tim and Swyg were filling time by commenting on various things like that ACH is deserving to be listed on the top 10 dressed coaches, they commented on the possible rift between clear channel and the hockey program (alluding to Ed vs. CB and now the possible Tim/Swyg vs. ACH) a caller on cell phone asked if they were going to start playing the Michigan Tech fight song ..... anyway after a few mintues ACH did call in and told Tim and Swyg they "need to get some hobbies". :)

Swyg asked when the hockey team was going to play a game at the Hyslop so that the hockey crowd/fans could see what the Hyslop looks like (since the basketball fans saw a couple games at the Ralph they thought the favor should be returned).

David Hale is in GF. He has lost a lot of weight (didn't have too much body fat prior to falling ill, so being only on liquids for days has taken its toll). It'll take time to get his legs back.

4 good practices this week to solidify the d lines: Chris L. & Lee M., Nick F. & Andy S., and the Matts.

Greene, as a freshman, is doing everything and more now -- that extra year after high school spent at Green Bay really has helped him develop (good coaching at Green Bay) -- at CC Greene had a good 2 way game, he didn't "yap" - right now the "meat and potatoes" type game is what he's doing, but he has good hands for a big guy, and that'll develop more too.

Back to the practices of this week M and T practice: almost totally quiet, the guys weren't too happy....W and tR practices were really good.

TIM: talking to the older guys, they felt they got away from what they normally do -- ACH: the few know they didn't play wall - but there is character there

Regarding Michigan Tech: can't take anything for granted, they have a different attitude thanks to Coach Mike S. - couple good players and have received very good goaltending from Cam E. -- like most teams that come to the Ralph they'll be pumped and ready to try to knock the Sioux down.

Regarding UMN at CC: figures probably a split - CC is a really, really good hockey team, deserved to win and deserving of the #1 ranking -- we/UND want another shot at them (CC)

TIM: cc defensive corp took over the game(s). ACH: I like their d-corp (of course, wouldn't trade ours) but their corp is good.

Talk about CC's crowd: it's getting to be better there, louder more hostile, in past years could've be called sort of apathetic.

Sounds like it's a sell out for the Tech game (student tickets are gone).