SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Draft!

southpaw

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither has jonesie..... ???

This doesn't surprise me. And I'll give you my "seat of the pants" uneducated opinion on why:

If NHL teams are going to draft defensive defensemen, they're going to be 6' or taller. Jones isn't that big and he doesn't have a whole lot of offensive upside. It's no surprise to me that he didn't go so far anyways.

EDIT: Deleted this line. ESPN is just slow to update.

UND gets another first rounder and, for the second draft in a row, another player that was supposed to be drafted did not (Kyle Radke was projected to go in the 5th to 7th round his draft year and was passed. Zach Jones was passed over in two straight drafts). What does this mean for Zach Jones? Probably nothing more than a disappointing day.

Other notables:

Nigel Williams went lower than expected and, imo, Trevor Lewis went higher than expected. Forney's injury did indeed hurt his draft stock. I am not at all excited about who drafted LaPoint. Florida is a lot like Detroit draft wise (Europeans and MJers good. Everyone else sucks). Not too excited about where Forney will be going post draft either. Jeff Petry was picked earlier, though only slightly earlier than expected (and LaPoint was expected to go before him). Sneep went right where he was predicted, iirc. Sauer (goalie from Michigan) had his stock drop huge. Drafted in the 7th round.

Where IS Dowzak! Wow. Jones and Radke went from 5th round to no round. I've never heard of 1st round/early 2nd round to undrafted... Wow.

I don't know a whole lot about the hockey drafting process... seeing as Jones went undrafted, what does that do to his future? Does it mean that he's more likely to stay all four years? (or was it never predicted that he would leave early)

I don't know a whole lot about the hockey drafting process... seeing as Jones went undrafted, what does that do to his future? Does it mean that he's more likely to stay all four years? (or was it never predicted that he would leave early)

His future is "up to him." If he plays well enough, he could garner a contract as an undrafted free agent (like something Jordan Parise is allegedly signing in a week or so). Does this mean he'll stay all four years? More than likely, yes. But it isn't guaranteed (See again Jordan Parise or Travis Roche or Bryan Lundbohm...)

His future is "up to him." If he plays well enough, he could garner a contract as an undrafted free agent (like something Jordan Parise is allegedly signing in a week or so). Does this mean he'll stay all four years? More than likely, yes. But it isn't guaranteed (See again Jordan Parise or Travis Roche or Bryan Lundbohm...)

Thanks!

One last note on the draft for now:

A TON of Gophers got drafted today and many of them in the later rounds. What this means is little if you are an NHL fan, but those late rounders could haunt us college hockey fans. Players like Michael Carmen and Ryan Flynn and Jay Bariball seem more worrisome to me than David Fischer or Erik Johnson. Fischer and Johnson are 1-2 year players at the U. Carmen and Flynn could be trouble for us Sioux fans... or they can be another PJ Atherton or Mike Vanelli. Who knows. Any time virtually every player signed to play for the team gets drafted, it's something to worry about. We had the pleasure of this last year. The Gophers get the honor this next year.