SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Student Athletes

Sioux-cia

Just got my 'alum' email from Kup. I'm very proud of the following,

UND student-athletes have excelled in the classroom once again. During the past year, they recorded a cumulative GPA of 3.04. This is the 16th of 17 semesters they have been above a 3.0;52 student-athletes recorded a perfect 4.0 GPA this past semester; 79% of the female student-athletes, and 65% of all student-athletes were above a 3.0 for the spring semester; 29 student-athletes had a 4.0 for the entire academic year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how this transition and move to D1 without any chance of post season will affect the GPA??

Will the mission statement change....in that area athletes will no longer get a quality education at THE University of North Dakota??

I wonder how this transition and move to D1 without any chance of post season will affect the GPA??

Will the mission statement change....in that area athletes will no longer get a quality education at THE University of North Dakota??

WTF?? ???

Here is a more detailed report of the GPA breakdown. Student Athletes

It goes sport by sport and season by season. It also lists the 29 students that had 4.0 for the entire year

Student-athletes receiving a 4.0 GPA for 2005-06 (29):

Football: Casey Ahlers, Shad Carney, Trent Christensen, Danny Gagner, Michael Greenwood, Brandon Hellevang, Thomas Loegering, Andrew Miller, Nicholas Nolte

Golf: Seth Maliske, John Suess

Softball: Melissa Champion, Jessica Price

Women

Student-athletes receiving a 4.0 GPA for 2005-06 (29):

Football: Casey Ahlers, Shad Carney, Trent Christensen, Danny Gagner, Michael Greenwood, Brandon Hellevang, Thomas Loegering, Andrew Miller, Nicholas Nolte

Great to see he's turned things around.

nicknolte4.jpg

Thanks for my first laugh of the day!!! I love starting my day this way. ???

And Gene Taylor has the gall to say that NDSU will have to look into the UND program to be sure that the Sioux student athletes meet Division I academic requirements before they will consider scheduling. He wants to assure a "level playing field" because NDSU athletes apparently rise to a higher academic standard. What a joke - NDSU consistently ranked in the bottom half of the NCC in both graduation rates and academic performance when they were DII, but now they may surpass UND because they are DI? That is as good a laugh as the Nick Nolte reference.

The Sioux athletic program has always done things classy and has always placed a strong emphasis on academics that won't change in D-I. In my opinion this is one of the dumbest arguments against a D-I move to assume that just because a person may be slightly more athletically gifted that they must somehow be lacking in the classroom is an ignorant and baseless assumption. If anything the full scholarships that will be afforded our athletes at the D-I level will no doubt help a few athletes improve their academic standing. I for one probably could have turned a few more B's into A's had I not had to work a job during the season to afford school since my athletic scholarship wasn't covering all my expenses.

While Googling the Blarney's incident came across the UMTC info. I'm prouder than ever of out student athletes!!!

University of North Dakota

During the spring semester, 284 of 435 UND student-athletes (65 percent) had a grade point average of 3.0 or better.

UMTC

U of M student-athletes have a higher overall grade-point average than do nonathletes, or that more than 200 of our athletes have GPAs of 3.00 or higher.
http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/kiosk/1.00text/oped.html

I don't know how many athletes there are at UMTC.

Thought you guys might want to know:

NDSU

478 students athletes

40 4.0s last fall

227 had 3.0's or above

average gpa

3.03 men

3.13 women

pretty comparable to UND now, and NDSU before its move

there is no need to sacrifice scholarship during the move and I don't expect UND to do it.

And Gene Taylor has the gall to say that NDSU will have to look into the UND program to be sure that the Sioux student athletes meet Division I academic requirements before they will consider scheduling. He wants to assure a "level playing field" because NDSU athletes apparently rise to a higher academic standard. What a joke - NDSU consistently ranked in the bottom half of the NCC in both graduation rates and academic performance when they were DII, but now they may surpass UND because they are DI? That is as good a laugh as the Nick Nolte reference.

Way to boast, Northcountry.

UND's only DI teams are embarassments in the classroom:

Bad news for Northcountry

you are in the 1st to 10th percentile for men's hockey

and the 20th to 30th for women's.....

That's a hell of a lot more funny than the Nick Nolte joke, but not in the ha-ha way.

The women's hockey team is in turmoil, so that academic finding isn't a huge shock. The men's team is hurt by the numerous departures of recent years with guys leaving for the pros. They could have been making normal academic progress, but because they left school the number falls. With the small roster size, a few guys leaving for the pros can make a huge difference.

Way to boast, Northcountry.

UND's only DI teams are embarassments in the classroom:

Bad news for Northcountry

you are in the 1st to 10th percentile for men's hockey

and the 20th to 30th for women's.....

That's a hell of a lot more funny than the Nick Nolte joke, but not in the ha-ha way.

I just hate it when irony has to be explained, but try to follow along. I paraphrased Gene Taylor commenting on the possibility of UND and NDSU scheduling games in the future. Unless NDSU is adding hockey to its athletic program there is no chance that a game will be scheduled, therefore the performance of hockey athletes in the classroom is a moot point. I assume that Mr. Taylor was referring to basketball, football, baseball and sports where both schools actually have teams when he questioned the academic qualifications of UND's student athletes and implied that there might be an unfair advantage gained by UND because they have recruited athletes to compete at the DII level, which does not have the same academic requirements as DI. I found it ironic that he would question UND's academic requirements when they have consistently ranked in the top tier of NCC schools in GPA and graduation rates, whhile in its last years in DII, NDSU consistently ranked in the bottom half of the Conference. Maybe it does not seem like irony to you, but to me it was. I don't want to carry this too far but it also seemed ironic that he would use the phrase "level playing field" in justifying his hesitation to consider scheduling. I believe that we have heard that phrase before in regards to scheduling. Personally, I could care less it UND and NDSU ever or never played each other again. For the time being, we have gone our separate ways and are travelling our own roads - if at some point they converge, so be it but I don't want to see either school alter their path to make it happen.

I found it ironic that he would question UND's academic requirements when they have consistently ranked in the top tier of NCC schools in GPA and graduation rates

It sounds like you have all the numbers, so what is the graduation rate shown for UND mens basketball for the year Beasley was a senior and Myron Allen was with the program. It probably shows it at 100%.

With UND's strict entrance requirements, how do two very talented basketball players that didn't meet D1 requirements and couldn't even get a degree at their JUCO's get into the school? I'm sure their is a very good explanation for it, but what is it? I know they wouldn't sell out to get a good athlete, only NDSU would do that.

Mr. Taylor's comments were a weak-at-best attempt to sell NDSU's academics. It flopped (considering all I have to do to reply is say "Cinque").

Come on Gene, you have better. Bring that next time instead. Give all of us here something more to work with next time.

Mr. Taylor's comments were a weak-at-best attempt to sell NDSU's academics. It flopped (considering all I have to do to reply is say "Cinque").

Come on Gene, you have better. Bring that next time instead. Give all of us here something more to work with next time.

There may be plenty to work with this time, Sic. My take is that Mr. Taylor is imitating my wife when she says, "remember that time 10 years ago when you didn't call home and I had to entertain your parents for three hours - well it's payback time". Mr. Taylor seems to be implying that any scheduling now will be payback for not easing NDSU's transition and will be done on their terms and at their pleasure. That is part of the reason that I really don't care if these two programs ever play any time again. Of course there is a greeat deal of sentiment that goes the other way and Mr. Taylor may be forced to reconsider because it is what is "best for the State". We all know that in light of recent events involving NDSU leadership, the Board of Higher Education, and its chancellor that NDSU will always be anxious to put the welfare of the state ahead of its own interests. There is plenty of fodder here.

There may be plenty to work with this time, Sic. My take is that Mr. Taylor is imitating my wife when she says, "remember that time 10 years ago when you didn't call home and I had to entertain your parents for three hours - well it's payback time". Mr. Taylor seems to be implying that any scheduling now will be payback for not easing NDSU's transition and will be done on their terms and at their pleasure. That is part of the reason that I really don't care if these two programs ever play any time again. Of course there is a greeat deal of sentiment that goes the other way and Mr. Taylor may be forced to reconsider because it is what is "best for the State". We all know that in light of recent events involving NDSU leadership, the Board of Higher Education, and its chancellor that NDSU will always be anxious to put the welfare of the state ahead of its own interests. There is plenty of fodder here.

What's wrong with a little payback. Was it in the best interest of the state to discontinue the rivalry three years ago? No, but UND said it was in their best interest(which they found out really wasn't when RT left). It seems that NDSU holds all the cards now, so why not play with them. They received no favors from UND, so why return any? I'm with you on one issue though, I hope they never do play again, which will become the case when Kupy turns back when he realizes the Big Ten won't be offering them conference membership in the next two years. It seems that quotes from the UND administration is that the Mid Con isn't quite good enough for them as it isn't "a good fit" for them. Beggars can't be choosers, as they will find out.

What's wrong with a little payback. Was it in the best interest of the state to discontinue the rivalry three years ago? No, but UND said it was in their best interest(which they found out really wasn't when RT left). It seems that NDSU holds all the cards now, so why not play with them. They received no favors from UND, so why return any? I'm with you on one issue though, I hope they never do play again, which will become the case when Kupy turns back when he realizes the Big Ten won't be offering them conference membership in the next two years. It seems that quotes from the UND administration is that the Mid Con isn't quite good enough for them as it isn't "a good fit" for them. Beggars can't be choosers, as they will find out.

You realize by not playing us during the transition your surrendering any sort of advantage you've gained by moving ahead of us. It's probably more in your best interest to play us and beat us why you still have an advantage rather than wait for us to play you on a level playing field where if the past bears any indication you've been less than successful competing with us on.