SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Student Athletes

Sioux-cia

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a conversation I have had defending the UND student-athlete on "Voice of Dakota," a Grand Forks Blog.

Maybe some of you guys want to let some of the readers know that our student-athletes and athletic program's goals aren't as stupid as they are making them sound.

These are likely the same people that vote against improving ND education, ie. increase teacher salaries, add/improve existing programs, etc. If it isn't something that they personally will benefit from they don't want to pay for it in any way. They're the ones that sound stupid.

The Sioux athletic program has always done things classy and has always placed a strong emphasis on academics that won't change in D-I. In my opinion this is one of the dumbest arguments against a D-I move to assume that just because a person may be slightly more athletically gifted that they must somehow be lacking in the classroom is an ignorant and baseless assumption. If anything the full scholarships that will be afforded our athletes at the D-I level will no doubt help a few athletes improve their academic standing. I for one probably could have turned a few more B's into A's had I not had to work a job during the season to afford school since my athletic scholarship wasn't covering all my expenses.

I couldn't have said this better myself....except I would've said C's into B's!! :sad:;)

I could've spent more time worrying about reading or studying rather than making a shift. My first year scholarship barely bought my books!

The hockey team is somewhat smart, if you don't believe, see this article.

http://fightingsioux.com/sports/mhockey/re...RELEASE_ID=4737

It specifically states that you have to have gotten at least a 3.0 GPA for two semesters or a cumlative 3.0 GPA in order to get on this team. And that three of our boys have made it two years in a row. So, yes they may not be what the NCAA considers excellent in graduation rates, but when you have as good as program as UND does, you can't expect some of them to hang around until graduation day.

I just hate it when irony has to be explained, but try to follow along.........................

And the extended joke is that if any of your DI teams perform as well over time as your current hockey team you won't have many DI scholarships to give

I couldn't have said this better myself....except I would've said C's into B's!! :sad:;)

I could've spent more time worrying about reading or studying rather than making a shift. My first year scholarship barely bought my books!

I believe the early athlete will be a border line athlete....no doubt with nothing to play for...you surely will not get the A or B athletes....you will have to settle for the borderline athletes....perhaps athletes with a past rep...but since your in need of better athletes...especially better than what is in the state of ND...you will have to gamble to win....as far as your scholly barely paying for your books....if UND was D1 when you went to school here...perhaps you would not even had a chance to play a sport and get a education!!!!

And the extended joke is that if any of your DI teams perform as well over time as your current hockey team you won't have many DI scholarships to give

:sad: Our current hockey team has been to the Frozen Four twice in as many years. What's the joke?

that's funny.

the joke is that the NCAA will penalize you scholarships for athletes not performing in classroom and graduating (APR)

True, but hockey's APR is that way due to early departures. I don't think that'll be as much of a problem with other sports.

True, but hockey's APR is that way due to early departures. I don't think that'll be as much of a problem with other sports.

it still counts though. honestly, i imagine (and hope) that it's an aberration.

but the ncaa will still pull up to ten percent of scholarships for an APR below 925; UND is at 918.

UND serving as a springboard to the NHL (with students not graduating) (or any other university and any other pro sport) may be penalized

Did it go wrong here

I wonder how this transition and move to D1 without any chance of post season will affect the GPA??

Will the mission statement change....in that area athletes will no longer get a quality education at THE University of North Dakota??

or here

nicknolte4.jpg

or here

And Gene Taylor has the gall to say that NDSU will have to look into the UND program to be sure that the Sioux student athletes meet Division I academic requirements before they will consider scheduling. He wants to assure a "level playing field" because NDSU athletes apparently rise to a higher academic standard. What a joke - NDSU consistently ranked in the bottom half of the NCC in both graduation rates and academic performance when they were DII, but now they may surpass UND because they are DI? That is as good a laugh as the Nick Nolte reference.

...if UND was D1 when you went to school here...perhaps you would not even had a chance to play a sport and get a education!!!!

Does this mean that I might not have been good enough to play at the DI level, or does this have something to do with classroom/athletic standards that I wouldn't have met? I don't get it....please explain what this implies.

Damn that Gene Taylor-looks like he's gotten to UND faculty already

Betty Ralston ...... But she did say she is seeing too many repeated courses and would like UND to implement DI standards toward graduation.

IAC Meeting Minutes

She also reported at that October 25, 2005 meeting,

The composite GPA for UND student-athletes was over 3.0 for the fourteenth out of the last fifteen semesters.
Two fall sport student-athletes have been nominated for post graduate scholarships. They are Veronica Sackett, cross country, 3.92 in Civil Engineering; and Dan Gagner, football, 3.78 in accounting.

What isn't in those minutes is that Jake Brandt was given one of two WCHA post graduate scholarships.

What was not also mentioned in that segment of a 250,000 savings of eliminating 5 positions was the creating of 3 to 4 positions....editor of Sioux Illustrated, Executive Secretary, Office Administrator who was the old secretary....but...someones wife didnt like the old secretary....AD in charge of facilities...in which UND plays in none of its own facilities...so why would it warrant someone to be in charge of is beyond comprehension....also adding a Marketing person...another Asst AD....when REA was paying this person to do marketing for UND athletics...so that did not save the dept money....and re hiring a business manager...when this position could have been done without as well...there is currently one business manager in place...and she does a great job!!!

In eliminating these positions....at least Neb Omaha had enough class to give their employees a 90 day termination...not a two week or you can clean your office out today....class begets class...

Kathor...as far as whether you could play D1 I have no idea....I am simply stating that the oppurtinity will be gone for several area potential athletes....

Sioux runner...perhaps UND track or CC would go to no scholarships at all....which in turn would hurt potential future athletes even more....just another perspective...

This thread is turning into a "my dad can beat up your dad" type of atmosphere...

Can't we all agree that student-athletes, no matter what school, do a great job for the most part?

We(they) always try to do our best during competition, do pretty well in the classroom (overall we graduate at a higher rate than our non-athlete peers), and help out in the community with fund raising and local charities. We(they) try to be strong role models for kids by exhibiting class and dignity on and off the playing field. :sad:

This thread is turning into a "my dad can beat up your dad" type of atmosphere...

Can't we all agree that student-athletes, no matter what school, do a great job for the most part?

We(they) always try to do our best during competition, do pretty well in the classroom (overall we graduate at a higher rate than our non-athlete peers), and help out in the community with fund raising and local charities. We(they) try to be strong role models for kids by exhibiting class and dignity on and off the playing field. :sad:

Thank you siouxrunner! I signed up for an account the other day and I can't believe all the back and forth comments especially when someone from UND posts a topic to talk about a general topic and all of sudden these jackasses try to state how much better their school is, and yeah I am talking about the people from a jealous university south of us. OK....taking a cheap shot there but why are you on your rivals website trying to prove your biased opinion.

out of here!

Ditto. I started this thread for that specific reason. Problem, I bait easily and respond quickly. ;)

Thank you siouxrunner! I signed up for an account the other day and I can't believe all the back and forth comments especially when someone from UND posts a topic to talk about a general topic and all of sudden these jackasses try to state how much better their school is, and yeah I am talking about the people from a jealous university south of us. OK....taking a cheap shot there but why are you on your rivals website trying to prove your biased opinion.

out of here!

maybe you need to reread this thread.

the attacks began with northcounty on taylor, i rebutted and it progressed from there. it is unfortunate that it happened, it just didn't happen as state it did, Bigdog42.